Magpie's Pi-day Quiche!
From the blog "Thorn's Edibles"
Today is Pi-day! 3.14, that is. So, since it's Pi-day, Magpie decided that we should have quiche for dinner. This quiche turned out to be a bona fide protein bomb and so, so tasty!
300g smoked bacon
about 4 medium sized mushrooms
1/4 of a large leek
1/4 litre of milk
a handful of fresh thyme
a handful of fresh chives
salt and pepper
pie crust (we cheated, because we're lazy people, and made it with pre-made buff pastry dough that we bought in the shop, but any pie crust will do)
1. Switch the oven to 180*C. Depending on what type of pie crust you're using, you may want to dress your pie form in it and pre-bake it in the oven for about 10 minutes.
2. Chop up your chicken, bacon, mushrooms and leek.
3. Mix the eggs and milk in a bowl, adding salt, pepper, chopped thyme and chives.
4. Set a large frying pan to medium-high. Start with the mushrooms. If you're using a non-stick pan, you don't need any extra grease at all, and the mushrooms get really tasty. If you haven't got a non-stick pan, start with the bacon and you still won't need any extra grease, at least not if you haven't cut the fat away (and why would you?). When the bacon and mushrooms start to look half done, add the chicken. Add the leek last, after the chicken has started to cook, and let it all cook together until the chicken is done.
5. Put your filling in the pie crust, pour the egg and milk mix over and top with grated cheese. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes.
Serve with a side salad. We used rocket leaf, cherry tomatoes and cucumber, and made a mustard vinaigrette from olive oil, balsamic vinegar and strong mustard, salt, pepper and some fresh thyme. Happy Pi-day!