It's been a while since in posted here, some big surprise huh?
Well anyway I was surfing this morning and found a great list of changes that struck me as a good way to get the USA back on track. I don't take credit for them, although I wish I could, they actually belong to Kathleen Reardon.
The list is as follows:
1) Require federal employees, as a condition of further employment, to commit to never serve as lobbyists.
2) Utilize public funding exclusively for elections to the Senate, House and Presidency.
3) Fund all future war expenditures largely by taxes on the wealthiest of Americans and corporations that benefit.
An Eric note: These are the guy's that profit from war so these are the guy's who should bare the financial burden. It's bad enough that the less fortunate bare the human toll.
4) Require all government representatives who vote for war - or who vote to enable the President to make war -- to serve at least three months at the front lines during the ensuing year.
An Eric note: I know, this one is not realistic nor do I advocate it. Maybe a week would be better, at the least have a look at what you've done!
5) Strip pensions and medical coverage from all senators and congressional representatives who are convicted of felonies or who resign in disgrace.
An Eric note: Why should we pay for someone that regards the public with contempt?
6) Tie Senate and House salaries to increases in the minimum wage.
7) Restrict Medal of Freedom recipients to those who are military heroes or altruistic government whistleblowers.
An Eric note: This one I would have moved to the bottom of the list or off it completely as I don't believe anyone really cares who gets what pat on the back.
8) Eliminate all earmarking.
9) Protect American children from abuse and neglect. End the poverty and deprivation that robs children of childhood and casts millions of American families into despair.
An Eric note: Anyone that knows me knows that this one would have been higher on my list. I believe as a country we eat our children and in doing so do ourselves a great disservice.
10) Bring back "Made in America."
An Eric note: Without this one most of the rest are impossible.
11) Save Darfur.
12) Really start saving our environment. Really.
An Eric note: I'm going to issue another blog that I will release in a couple of days about this. All I'll say at this time is lookout California cause here it comes!
13) End the abhorrent, self-promoting practice of journalists interviewing other journalists. Use instead the wealth of true expertise this country has to offer to inform Americans.
14) Break up oligarchic control of the media by a wealthy few and bring back clear separations between objective journalism and editorials.
An Eric note: Read what Jefferson said about this, enough said!
15) End the Bush family practice of purging key, competent professionals and replacing them with party loyalists--not only in FEMA--but also in all other national security, intelligence, environmental and resource management areas, so no more American lives are jeopardized by obsequiousness, incompetence or greed.
An Eric note: I think that this applies to all future occupiers of that office. To a certain degree this has gone on for longer than this guy but maybe not to this extent.
16) Extinguish the term "Commander-in-Chief." It encourages hubris and a false sense of military understanding. President is enough!
17) And, years after the rest of the developed world has done so, establish a national health policy that covers all Americans. End governmental pandering to a pharmaceutical industry and medical industry vested in prolonging illnesses rather than curing them.
18) Allow Medicare to negotiate prices with pharmaceutical manufacturers. Fix the Medicare gaps and find someone who knows how to communicate with Americans to help them find quality health care.
An Eric note: If the above two items are not addressed they will bring down this nation.
19) Bring back civility in the service of the voters and honesty in communication with them.
An Eric note: Wake up! This has brought down leaders before and will do it again, the unfortunate thing is that so many must suffer before the public catches on.
20) Bring our troops home. And honor most those leaders who forge peace rather than wage war, who prefer to negotiate rather than annihilate, who care what current Americans think rather than how much those in the future will remember.
An Eric note: The policy of "Preemptive War" is akin to a cop shooting someone in the street because they thought that at some time in the future this person might get a gun and could decide to use it to commit a crime. How stupid is that and would you like to live under that kind of threat? The bigger question is "Would anyone be safe?"
Well thats the list and I think it would be a good start. We/The USA as a nation have the potential to do so much good in the world but if we don't clean up our own house, straighten out our own problems, then whats the point?
In this New Year lets resolve to renounce hypocrisy, hold ourselves to a higher standard and mean it!
That's all for now.