Something fishy

GaryKelly

The loo is a great place for contemplation. It occurred to me that one's own odor is tolerated by oneself without a problem. But walk into the loo after someone else has been... busy... and one finds THEIR odor intolerable! Why is that? I suspect that whatever the reason, it also relates to why people can easily tolerate their own idiosynchrasies and faults while observers find them irritating. Some sort of self defense or preservation mechanism? A means by which individuals are protected from throwing themselves off bridges? Or is it a conscious effort to ignore one's own inadequacies? This topic brings to mind an oft used phrase: 'He thinks his shit don't stink'. Happy contemplation!

Are you kidding me? Mine smells like a bed of red roses with a fresh morning dew on them! Meanwhile my roommates have taken to lighting a match before entering the porcelain god's chamber... :*)

Edited by rknapp

Are you kidding me? Mine smells like a bed of red roses with a fresh morning dew on them! Meanwhile my roommates have taken to lighting a match before entering the porcelain god's chamber... :*)

If they did that in this house they'd be in instant orbit.

You know how animals urinate/spray on objects to mark their territory? If another animal comes around and smells that scent they'll back off. Maybe it's like that. Not territorial but as a personal marker. Like: "Okay, that's not mine. Ew...back away. Danger Will Robinson! Danger!" Obviously not really important now, but I could see where it might have (purely hypothetical) been important in humankind's early years.

You know how animals urinate/spray on objects to mark their territory? If another animal comes around and smells that scent they'll back off. Maybe it's like that. Not territorial but as a personal marker. Like: "Okay, that's not mine. Ew...back away. Danger Will Robinson! Danger!" Obviously not really important now, but I could see where it might have (purely hypothetical) been important in humankind's early years.

Yeah? Well, my Maltese/Chi Tsu cross doesn't back off when she sniffs another dog's spray... she hangs around to read the whole damn chapter! "C'mon Kelly, c'mon Kelly." "Shuddup, I'm busy!"

• Site Administrator

I've never forgotten a quote from a Sci-Fi story I read a long time ago (Voyage from Yesteryear, by James Hogan):

Success is like a fart: only your own smells nice.

It might also have something to do with the fact that you've just become accustomed to your own smell. Sort of the way a farmer is oblivious to the smell of manure, when visitors are overwhelmed, or how some people can work in occupations where the smell involved with what they are doing first overcame them, but they eventually overcame it. Working in a sewage treatment plant or a garbage collect comes to mind along those lines.

But there's also the narcisistic aspect, such as the person who passes gas in bed and then pulls the covers over his head so he can enjoy the fragrance.

But there's also the narcisistic aspect, such as the person who passes gas in bed and then pulls the covers over his head so he can enjoy the fragrance.

Like my best friend... he also likes to hold it in the blanket to incubate it, then release it on an unsuspecting visitor... :angry:

Like my best friend... he also likes to hold it in the blanket to incubate it, then release it on an unsuspecting visitor... :angry:

When I was a kid we called that little trick a 'Dutch oven'.

Who does that? :blink:

*shudders*

I was wondering the same thing...as well I've never heard of this 'Dutch Oven' thingie either.

These are a few things I'm glad I missed out on :lol:

Take Care®,

Vic

I thought the idea of catching farts under the bed covers was so that you could pull them over your unsuspecting partner's head. My aunt used to do this to her husband. She thought it was funny.

As for tolerating one's own odors, I never learned to like fart smells (mine or anyone else's). I make a point to breath with my mouth open and my nose pinched shut when I am in a smelly bathroom. Certain smells are not ment to be pleasant. I think that is probably to keep us from stepping in piles and puddels.