Looking for a particular story

Hi everyone,

I hope you can help me finding a particular story I have read some years ago. It is about an ordinary lad meeting a young aristrocate from Scotland. I cannot remember all details but I think the story started with an encounter on a train with some football fans. Other details I can think of is that the lad fancies thongs and that there is a side story about a best friend fighting for his illegitimate son.

I have tried every search option Google provides and looked through Nifty but I still cannot find that story.

I should be very grateful if yoi can help me with my search! :-)

Best,

Tom

• Like 1
Hi everyone,

I hope you can help me finding a particular story I have read some years ago. It is about an ordinary lad meeting a young aristrocate from Scotland. I cannot remember all details but I think the story started with an encounter on a train with some football fans. Other details I can think of is that the lad fancies thongs and that there is a side story about a best friend fighting for his illegitimate son.

I have tried every search option Google provides and looked through Nifty but I still cannot find that story.

I should be very grateful if yoi can help me with my search! :-)

Best,

Tom

I'm not sure if this is what your looking for http://www.awesomedude.com/jovincent/flips..._tale_title.htm

I seem to remeber that Joel at awesomedude wrote a lot of "Scottish tales"

Benji B)

Edited by Benji
  • Like 1
  • 1 year later...
The story is called Changing Toms Underwear.

You can find it here :

http://www.sircris.co.uk

Although I wasn't the original inquirer - Thanks for the link.

Are you the same Cris as the SirCris site owner?

I went to take a look at the story and really enjoyed it.

However, Ch 6 ends on a cliffhanger and there is no Ch 7.

As Ch 6 was written back in Nov 2006, I wonder if there is any chance now that the story will ever be finished?

I sent an email to the author, but got no reply, so maybe the email address is no longer in use?

Best wishes,

Kit

Although I wasn't the original inquirer - Thanks for the link.

Are you the same Cris as the SirCris site owner?

I went to take a look at the story and really enjoyed it.

However, Ch 6 ends on a cliffhanger and there is no Ch 7.

As Ch 6 was written back in Nov 2006, I wonder if there is any chance now that the story will ever be finished?

I sent an email to the author, but got no reply, so maybe the email address is no longer in use?

Best wishes,

Kit

I found the rest of the story ... there seems to be a second book ... but it ends in a couple of chapters

so here's the trail

On nifty its http://nifty.nisusnet.com/nifty/gay/colleg...toms-underwear/

Its written between 1999 to 2002

Then he publishes on SirCris in Nov 2006

I also found a Sep 2006 ( a rewrite thats possibly what he published on the SirCris site )

http://sircris.co.uk/ctu/

Tom.txt

Have a Happy Read.

I found the rest of the story ... there seems to be a second book ... but it ends in a couple of chapters

so here's the trail

On nifty its http://nifty.nisusnet.com/nifty/gay/colleg...toms-underwear/

Its written between 1999 to 2002

Then he publishes on SirCris in Nov 2006

I also found a Sep 2006 ( a rewrite thats possibly what he published on the SirCris site )

http://sircris.co.uk/ctu/

Tom.txt

Have a Happy Read.

Congratulations on the great detective work tracking down the story and thanks for the Nifty link.

:)

I'll read as far as the end of book 1, which presumably won't be a cliffhanger and, being the end of a 'book' should have some sort of resolution. As I guess from your comment that book 2 is unfinished, I won't start that. Several times in the past I've become involved in a story that was never finished, so now, to avoid disappointment and frustration, I usually don't start reading a story unless it's finished. For some reason I had the impression that this was complete before I started reading it.

Thanks again!

Kit

Congratulations on the great detective work tracking down the story and thanks for the Nifty link.

I'll read as far as the end of book 1, which presumably won't be a cliffhanger and, being the end of a 'book' should have some sort of resolution. As I guess from your comment that book 2 is unfinished, I won't start that. Several times in the past I've become involved in a story that was never finished, so now, to avoid disappointment and frustration, I usually don't start reading a story unless it's finished. For some reason I had the impression that this was complete before I started reading it.

Thanks again!

Kit

I just got to chap 9 - I do skip around a bit.

How is grammar?

I know that I hit several spots where it seems to be either UK grammar or its not even USA grammar

I do see that we use different verbs.

But some how - I re-read the line in a UK diction and sometimes I understand and sometimes not.

He changed his email address.

You might write him and see about any updates to Book2.

I am not sure what happen in the last 2 years??

Life situation change?

I just got to chap 9 - I do skip around a bit.

How is grammar?

I know that I hit several spots where it seems to be either UK grammar or its not even USA grammar

I do see that we use different verbs.

But some how - I re-read the line in a UK diction and sometimes I understand and sometimes not.

I've only got as far as Ch7. There are grammatical mistakes (eg use of 'I' istead of 'me') and a few spelling mistakes, but not a huge number. Certainly not enough to spoil the flow of my reading. In some passages he author does try to capture the 'flavour' of South London speech, Scottish speech, and (in one section) a sort of Carribean speech, so maybe some of the bad grammar is to make it more realistic.

There are certainly differences in word usage between US and UK English (eg got/gotten or pavement/sidewalk) and certain usages that sound very weird to my English ear (eg off of). "He jumped off the rock" is perfectly understandable to me without the hideously ugly addition of the unnecessary 'of' to make it "He jumped off of the rock" .

Still, I often need to remind myself that the UK and USA are actually totally foreign countries with different languages that just happen to be similar - a bit like Spain and Portugal.

Of course, people in the UK find it easier to understand the US version of English than people in the US can understand UK English. This is because over here we are constantly exposed to US English in all the US TV shows and films (movies) that are shown here. Sadly, the constant exposure not only accustoms us to US usage, it also contaminates our own usage.

Kit

I've only got as far as Ch7. There are grammatical mistakes (eg use of 'I' istead of 'me') and a few spelling mistakes, but not a huge number. Certainly not enough to spoil the flow of my reading. In some passages he author does try to capture the 'flavour' of South London speech, Scottish speech, and (in one section) a sort of Carribean speech, so maybe some of the bad grammar is to make it more realistic.

There are certainly differences in word usage between US and UK English (eg got/gotten or pavement/sidewalk) and certain usages that sound very weird to my English ear (eg off of). "He jumped off the rock" is perfectly understandable to me without the hideously ugly addition of the unnecessary 'of' to make it "He jumped off of the rock" .

Still, I often need to remind myself that the UK and USA are actually totally foreign countries with different languages that just happen to be similar - a bit like Spain and Portugal.

Of course, people in the UK find it easier to understand the US version of English than people in the US can understand UK English. This is because over here we are constantly exposed to US English in all the US TV shows and films (movies) that are shown here. Sadly, the constant exposure not only accustoms us to US usage, it also contaminates our own usage.

Kit

Thanks for the reply

Is South Metro London (I presume that the reference) that Dangerous?

I presume it doesn't extend beyond the Metro Area?

Sound like the South Bronx, NY in the USA?

In recent years the SB is suppose to better now, not that I would live there.

Where is the Uni?

I looked at the locations mention in the story its a long haul from London to Edinburgh.

I hope Brighton is safe, I have a friend going to work there soon.

I sort of finished what makes up Book 2 and skip around a bit.

It centers more on Jamie and his life.

Since Tom underwear has been changed, now its Jamie turn parallel to Andy.

I probably will re-read the both stories and get to the parts I missed.

I have email the author at his new email address.

Will see if there is a new response.

The story seems to date back in 2000 era, shagging without protection.

I wonder if the author would write all 4 years of college and a bit beyond.

Kinda strange Andy and Tom getting job offers.

Both could use the education before jobs

It seems that Andy and Tom need to develop their lifestyle similar to Dan and John

one day when they are working and missing each other.

Thanks for the reply

Is South Metro London (I presume that the reference) that Dangerous?

I presume it doesn't extend beyond the Metro Area?

South London is south of the river Thames. That has always been the 'rougher' part of London, even way back in Elizabethan times.

Where is the Uni?

I looked at the locations mention in the story its a long haul from London to Edinburgh.

I hope Brighton is safe, I have a friend going to work there soon.

Unless I missed it, I don't remember seeing the location of the Uni mentioned specifically, but maybe I missed it. However, it's pretty safe to assume it's neither in Edinburgh or London, which are indeed quite far apart in British terms, though probably considered close neighbours in US terms!

Brighton is as safe as anywhere and gay people make up a larger percentage of the population than most other places in the UK. I guess in some ways you might think of Brighton as almost like the UK equivalent of San Francisco! :)

The story seems to date back in 2000 era, shagging without protection.

I wonder if the author would write all 4 years of college and a bit beyond.

Maybe it's different in the Nifty version and the SirCris version, but at least as far as I read there is only one obvious example of shagging without protection, and that is when the protagonist is a teenager with his straight(?) best friend. With Jamie there is specific mention of the number of condoms used, and with all his other flings there are only a couple of oblique mentions of anal sex with no indication that condoms hadn't been used.

BTW - college/university courses are mostly 3 years here.

Kit

South London is south of the river Thames. That has always been the 'rougher' part of London, even way back in Elizabethan times.

I like to see how it compares to the South Bronx or Harlem?

Unless I missed it, I don't remember seeing the location of the Uni mentioned specifically, but maybe I missed it. However, it's pretty safe to assume it's neither in Edinburgh or London, which are indeed quite far apart in British terms, though probably considered close neighbours in US terms!

Brighton is as safe as anywhere and gay people make up a larger percentage of the population than most other places in the UK. I guess in some ways you might think of Brighton as almost like the UK equivalent of San Francisco! :)

Any guess where? Especially that a famous actor would grace a Uni?

Thanks for letting me know that Brighton is a nice place.

I told my Internet bf - I could get use to Brightons geographical location more than SF.

Maybe it's different in the Nifty version and the SirCris version, but at least as far as I read there is only one obvious example of shagging without protection, and that is when the protagonist is a teenager with his straight(?) best friend. With Jamie there is specific mention of the number of condoms used, and with all his other flings there are only a couple of oblique mentions of anal sex with no indication that condoms hadn't been used.

BTW - college/university courses are mostly 3 years here.

Kit

Yes my comment was mostly on Jamie - possibly the author assumes we know protection was used? or Jamie being risky?

Sounds great - one year less for the author to write about.

Which sounds like Andy could take up the RSC offer or RADA?

Not sure what RADA does in the arts - possibly more variety than Shakespear

Tom sure can be anywhere with Andy - getting a job shouldn't be a problem for him

The issue be with Jamie - his finding love - his going to Uni - his life with his love

and mostly can Andy and Tom get him through life.

Would Dan and John help?

Other issues for the author is Book3 and Book4

Who's next in this proverbial "change of underwear"?

New characters - New Story?