Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Let the Music Play

Welcome to the "Let the Music Play" Discussion thread.

Brandon's dreams had been crushed far too often for him to ever believe, especially in himself. Follow along as he experiances some massive changes in his life, along with a few bumps in the road, and a few high-pressure situations.

"Let the Music Play" is an action/adventure, with a touch of romance and humor, set against the background of the rock music industry.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

I also want to invite all forms of criticism: Don't be shy. If you feel more comfortable doing so you can PM me, but feel free to criticize in the thread. :music:

Thanks!

CJ

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Nice first couple of chapters CJ :thumbup:

The prologue kinda threw me for a loop, since you released chapter one in the sneak peak area. Even more so with the second chapter, you can be assured I will always be wondering what 3 bombs will have to do with this story.

I liked that you established Brandon's character pretty well at the beginning. It seems you decided to make sure we all know what Brandon is like physically, as well as emotionally at the time. BTW, I don't like Gabe and hopefully he exits stage left very quickly.

As far as Jon, Eric (hmm, something about that name :whistle: ), and Chase, it will look like we will have to wait for future chapters to have their characters developed. While everyone else reads the first three chapters, it will be interesting to see what they feel the "family secret" is and who is the cause of it. Also on how Brendon will react.

Well, you've got me hooked already, but that is to be expected with the quality or writing in the past and present :worship: .

Looking forward to see how the brothers let Brandon see the expression on the new guys' face when they announce the person. Maybe a mirror or a camera, should be comical.

Steve

The prologue kinda threw me for a loop... you can be assured I will always be wondering what 3 bombs will have to do with this story.

Well, you've got me hooked already, but that is to be expected with the quality or writing in the past and present :worship: .

Great start...looking forward to more. I think a human bomb (Gabe) will go off in Ch 3 when he finds out about the promotion. Perhaps we'll find out why he has it in for Brandon.

Jack B)

• Site Administrator

Welcome to the "Let the Music Play" Discussion thread.

So polite. So formal. Not what we would expect from a creatively gifted goat.... :P

"Let the Music Play" is an action/adventure, with a touch of romance and humor, set against the background of the rock music industry.

After that prologue, I don't think you needed to indicate it was action/adventure. I can't think of many other genres (apart, maybe, from horror) that uses nuclear weapons....

A great start that introduces some of the characters while still moving the story forward -- always a challenge and I think you've done well :)

The prologue kinda threw me for a loop, since you released chapter one in the sneak peak area. Even more so with the second chapter, you can be assured I will always be wondering what 3 bombs will have to do with this story.

I liked that you established Brandon's character pretty well at the beginning. It seems you decided to make sure we all know what Brandon is like physically, as well as emotionally at the time. BTW, I don't like Gabe and hopefully he exits stage left very quickly.

As far as Jon, Eric (hmm, something about that name :whistle: ), and Chase, it will look like we will have to wait for future chapters to have their characters developed. While everyone else reads the first three chapters, it will be interesting to see what they feel the "family secret" is and who is the cause of it. Also on how Brendon will react.

Looking forward to see how the brothers let Brandon see the expression on the new guys' face when they announce the person. Maybe a mirror or a camera, should be comical.

Steve

Thanks Steve! Yes, the old prologue in sneak peeks became Ch 01. There were some issues with the story, mainly that the genre wasn't clear, so I gave us a peek at what some as-yet unseen characters are up to via the prologue. :)

The name "Eric" has nothing to do with the one in FTL, I promise! LoL. There are entirely separate universes. :)

Great start...looking forward to more. I think a human bomb (Gabe) will go off in Ch 3 when he finds out about the promotion. Perhaps we'll find out why he has it in for Brandon.

Jack B)

Thanks Jack!!!

We do find out why he has it in for Brandon soon. :)

After that prologue, I don't think you needed to indicate it was action/adventure. I can't think of many other genres (apart, maybe, from horror) that uses nuclear weapons....

With me as the author? 0:)

What about a lighthearted comedy where everyone does a gruesome death at the end? Or a cliche mushy romance, that just happens to have nukes?

Or maybe the nukes aren't bad... Ever seen "Doctor Strangelove"? Stop worrying and learn to love the bomb... :devil:

A great start that introduces some of the characters while still moving the story forward -- always a challenge and I think you've done well :)

Thanks Graeme!!

God CJ

Why do you keep doing this to me.... Making such good stories so i have to read them, i mean dang i already have enough to read, and now you add more to my plate....

Did you ever know that your my heroo, your everything i wish i could be!!!!!!

Okay so wow i just read both part 1 and 2, and all i can say is WOW...

I love how we learn so much about brandon in such a short time....

Eric shook his head, "f**K that, bro. Neither Jon or I will put up with that kind of shit anymore, group or no group, end of discussion. If Brandon's like that, he's not joining; we'll find someone else."

If i didn't know what kind of site this was, i wouldn't even think anything about him being gay.

Chase and Lump despise each other, and Chase has a damn good reason

When i read this i had to take a double take, and read it agian, idk if anyone else got this feeling but to me it's seems if Chase is hiding a certian something about himself.

Anyway i can't wait to read more of this story Cj as always great work!

-LC

The prologue is great, though this "explosives in fiction" issue doesn't leave me the only one to be worried, apparently.

What worries me as far as Brandon is concerned is the three homophobic brothers who kicked out the gay singer, after giving him a derogatory nickname and whose generous, bleeding-heart liberal father, who cannot tolerate such vile macho behavior, had to ask them to stop living under his roof? Will Brandon manage to get them to accept homosexuality without being kicked out, asked to put his shirt on and maybe even gay-bashed? Of course one of them bearing a first name of ill repute in CJames' FTL doesn't help yo make him come across as pleasant.

The prologue is great, though this "explosives in fiction" issue doesn't leave me the only one to be worried, apparently.

What worries me as far as Brandon is concerned is the three homophobic brothers who kicked out the gay singer, after giving him a derogatory nickname and whose generous, bleeding-heart liberal father, who cannot tolerate such vile macho behavior, had to ask them to stop living under his roof? Will Brandon manage to get them to accept homosexuality without being kicked out, asked to put his shirt on and maybe even gay-bashed? Of course one of them bearing a first name of ill repute in CJames' FTL doesn't help yo make him come across as pleasant.

Have to to say bond, after reading this story agian, i don't think they are homophobic, instead i think they know something, about chase and the ex lead singer that maybe we don't know about just yet..... Hell i could be totally wrong here but this is just what i got so far from the story....

-LC

• Site Administrator

You've lost me. Why do you think the brothers are homophobic OR that their ex-singer is gay? To me, they kicked him out because:

1. He was doing drugs

2. He wouldn't rehearse

3. He was unreliable

Given where the story is being posted, I'm expecting that Brandon will turn out to be gay, but it is by no means certain.

The clue to Brandon being gay is that he removes his shirt with quite a lot of pleasure (the others do it out of necessity). And we're not told they kick out Clump because he's gay. He's of course unreliable, but then they might have prejudice towards gay people's emotional instability.

And, thinking of it now, yes, I assumed Brandon had to flee from home because he was gay, but there's nothing completely explicit said about this. He still manages to find a cool boss, the "a bit tough but with a big heart" kind. I'm sure Gabe will love Brandon making it as a singer.

He still manages to find a cool boss, the "a bit tough but with a big heart" kind. I'm sure Gabe will love Brandon making it as a singer.

I hope your being sarcastic about the "cool Boss" thing becuase to me this guy is a down right scum bag, who needs to get laid or something....

=P

Given where the story is being posted, I'm expecting that Brandon will turn out to be gay, but it is by no means certain.

Given where this story is being posted, I'm expecting that Brandon will turn out to be gay, and that Chase will turn out to be gay, and that Lump is the homophobe.

If Brandon is gay, it would explain his being tossed out of his home.

If Chase is gay, it would explain the problems the boy had with their father, who can't accept Chase's sexual orientation, and the possibility that Lump sided with the parents on this issue.

Oh, to CJ: great start to a story, though I think I might like it even better if these great characters had a chance to play about in a universe that stayed realistic in a tale that didn't develop into a thriller involving radioactive bombs.

--Rigel

Given where this story is being posted, I'm expecting that Brandon will turn out to be gay, and that Chase will turn out to be gay, and that Lump is the homophobe.

If Chase is gay, it would explain the problems the boy had with their father, who can't accept Chase's sexual orientation, and the possibility that Lump sided with the parents on this issue.

Oh, to CJ: great start to a story, though I think I might like it even better if these great characters had a chance to play about in a universe that stayed realistic in a tale that didn't develop into a thriller involving radioactive bombs.

--Rigel

I agree Rigel, but what's a story without radioactive bombs?? I mean really.... We know how much CJ likes his action!! And i can't wait to see what he has in store for us. :lol:

-LC

God CJ

Why do you keep doing this to me.... Making such good stories so i have to read them, i mean dang i already have enough to read, and now you add more to my plate....

Did you ever know that your my heroo, your everything i wish i could be!!!!!!

Okay so wow i just read both part 1 and 2, and all i can say is WOW...

I love how we learn so much about brandon in such a short time....

If i didn't know what kind of site this was, i wouldn't even think anything about him being gay.

When i read this i had to take a double take, and read it agian, idk if anyone else got this feeling but to me it's seems if Chase is hiding a certian something about himself.

Anyway i can't wait to read more of this story Cj as always great work!

-LC

Thanks LC!!!!!!!!!!

It is entirely possible that

might occur in future chapters. 0:)

Given where this story is being posted, I'm expecting that Brandon

--Rigel

I agree Rigel, but what's a story without radioactive bombs?? I mean really.... We know how much CJ likes his action!! And i can't wait to see what he has in store for us. :lol:

-LC

I hope the Echidna will allow what might be a bit of inside information... :ph34r:

What we have here are basically two storylines, which will stay largely separate for quite a few chapters. . I can't say anything more without giving too much away.

Thanks!!!!

CJ :)

:P:worship:Hey you, great prolific magnanimous masterly author :worship::P

Already a new story, and I hadn't time till now to "digest" the other ones

:lol: .

Thanks to be as prolific in your stories than in your posts.

Comments will come later, first I have to read :funny: .

And thanks, I've been trying to grow as a writer, so I've been experimenting with different ways to portray wording and emotions.

Exactly! I have noted instead of the first person narration like in FTL, you chose the third person narration. But it was good. Was it difficult?

God, I'm already missing Brandon and Chase. I want more!!!! You can send me the next chapters privately, you know.

Ieshwar

P.S Don't forget to let the music play!!! :P

Hey!

Awesome start.

I really couldn't say anything else but wow.

I like the way you portrayed Brandon. Just by describing his environment and what he's doing and eating, you gave me a clear picture of the kind of person he is and the kind of person he wants to be. Kudos!

Rad

• Site Administrator

--Rigel

I'm going to agree with Rigel 100% here. I believe that Brandon was kicked out of his family, his band, and his life for the simple fact that he was gay. What other secret can usually evoke these responses from everybody to wards someone (except maybe if his parents found his secret Milli Vanilli CD collection) :D .

I also believe that Lump is the homophobe. With the brother's and their parents having a falling out, it is usually the parents and their generation that don't accept homosexuality, not the younger generation. Lump obviously saw the boys dad as being his ticket to have the money to buy the booze, drugs, and sex, so he would stick with their Dad. There was also a reference to the brothers waiting to see how Brandon would react to the family secret. How many homophobes keep their feelings sheltered and away from anyone who will listen? Whereas the opposite, telling one is gay is still very much a decision most people have to make on an individual basis after they learn a bit about other people.

My guess is that Chase is also gay, and Dan and Eric will stand by their brother. Chase's obvious hate of Lump being the strongest, leads me to think that he is the object of Lump's homophobia. Some of the things giving that away was Chase immediately taking off his shirt, and the way the Chase had to immediately get into the shower after the rehearsal. Both brothers seemed to know why Chase needed the shower so quickly and also knew his answer for letting Brandon join when Helen called.

One question for you CJ, you made reference to "Drumbeat" magazine that made Brandon uncomfortable when questioned about it when he didn't play drums, which Chase was also very excited with the prospect that maybe he did. You also made reference when Chase first took off his shirt that drummers did this because of the intense workout. So what is Drumbeat magazine? I'm expecting a magazine with pictures of hot drummers without their shirts on. :D

Steve

• Site Administrator
I also believe that Lump is the homophobe.

Sometimes I think gay readers are a bit paranoid :P There is no need to believe any of the characters will be homophobes. There is ample reasons already given in the story to dislike Lump, but until he shows himself to be a homophobe, I see no reason to believe him to be one. It's like Eric in FTL -- we have ample reasons to dislike him without having him be homophobic as well. Indeed, I think you could make a good case that Eric in FTL is not homophobic. It's the same here. People can be disliked for other reasons. Even being homophobic doesn't mean that they are disliked, depending on how they express their homophobia.

It is almost as if some readers require that there be a homophobic character to "oppress" the gay character....

Ok, let's everyone chant:

Dump Lump! Dump Lump! Dump Lump! Dump Lump! Dump Lump! Dump Lump! Dump Lump! Dump Lump! Dump Lump! Dump Lump! Dump Lump! Dump Lump! Dump Lump! Dump Lump! Dump Lump! Dump Lump! Dump Lump! Dump Lump!

I feel so much better now. :D

CJ!

I love this story! The music industry is a fantastic setting for a story. How exactly the bombs fit in escapes me as well. I'm totally taken with Brandon. :wub:

Jon laughed, "No way, you do whatever you feel like. I'm serious; if we needed something to act like Lump on stage, we'd just drag over a piece of furniture."

:lmao: That line was just perfect. :2thumbs:

I also think Brandon'and Chase are gay. What helped me decide that, though, were the sixteen clues CJ put in the story. :lol: Brandon buying a drummer's mag? Brandon having a single poster on his wall of his roach-infested room? Could the poster be from the drummer mag? :wub: Nicely done, CJ! :worship:

So here's what I'm looking forward to in the short and long term:

-Brandon's reaction to getting the lead singer's job

-Chase telling Lump that he's history. Chase will say, "Hey, Lump, I have some good news and some bad news for ya. The good news is you're going to be able to focus a lot more of your time and attention to your drug and acohol addictions. The bad news is you're going to have to find a new source of income to feed your habit. Your ass is grass, dude! Be careful not to let the door hit you in the ass on your way out!"

-Chase and Brandon coming together! B)

-Chase and Brandon meeting Chris and Steve and they start having pool parties! :wub:

Conner

• Site Moderator

Sweet story CJ.

I got the impression that Brandon was kicked out because his parents found out he's gay.

As far as Lump goes, he's got a drug and alcohol problem which is why he's not that reliable anymore.

Chase I hadn't thought about, but for all we know, any one of the brothers can be gay, we just don't know who at the moment. Chase could be protecting one of his brothers.

I can see CJ having one of the brothers taking a mirror off the wall and holding it up in front of Brandon when the break the news to him that he's in.

I think Gabe will do a lot of shouting when he first finds out that Brandon is now a member of the band.

Now to go past a link at The House.

Jan

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..