Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Let the Music Play

With the references between Betty and Helen, I'm wondering if Helen will have some traits of Betty. Will she start showing some feelings towards a guy in this story? Hmmm, maybe they will be towards Gabe since he really is the only other male character so far. B) .

B) ........I wonder if CJ is basing Betty & Helen on a real life character in his life

• Site Moderator
-----------------

Notes: Master, you're other lackies are lacking "his uinfuence to get"... Beta readers... yeash... :D

-----------------

As one editor to another, Emo, what have you got to say for yourself on this?

Quoting myself,

I can see CJ having one of the brothers taking a mirror off the wall and holding it up in front of Brandon when the break the news to him that he's in.

Then there's CJ's way.

And just as it's really starting to get interesting, CJ stops and leaves us. (Notice I didn't say Leaves us Hanging. Don't want to give our big headed goat the chance to remind us, he doesn't do cliffies).

Good chapter CJ. You gave us a few chuckles with this one. And nothing like a little break in the action with 'The Scar'.

Jan

• Site Administrator
I fully agree with LC on the teasing scenes. I had this silly-ass grin on my face throughout the whole chapter. :D So I'm most anxious to see how Brandon will do with gaydar test #2. I just know he's going to say Eric, if only for the fact that Jon needs to punk on Eric a bit. Also, it's too much fun for CJ to pass up. As well, my sense is that Brandon thinks Chase is a stud, but more importantly, a straight stud. Brandon's going to have a total meltdown when he learns it's Chase. He will try to cover up as best he can. I'm thinking the tight black swim suit may have a bigger role to play in chapter 4. B)

I think he'll say Eric because 1. he doesn't want to indicate he fancies Chase, and 2. it was Eric that took those short into him. You'll notice that Brandon smiled after he put them on. He realised that they were very revealing, and is thinking that Eric did that deliberately.

Notes: Master, you're other lackies are lacking "his uinfuence to get"... Beta readers... yeash... :D

I had to look up that word, and I was absolutely shocked! Their father did that for them! I think that's well and truly beyond the call of duty on his behalf. Those sons of his should be very proud of their dad for what he did. I don't think I would've done the same.... 0:)

Interesting chapter, with lots of well written camaraderie.

Of course, the question to pose to Brandon is, "if you could sleep with one of us as a fantasy, who would it be?"

But I can't believe Helen and the boys haven't discussed the financial element. Will Brandon be paid a salary, or get a portion of the income, or some combination thereof? When you're dealing with lots of money (potentially) and possible emotional interaction, you want to have a contract detailing how you're going to be able to afford your life.

Also, if I could be the voice of aged wisdom (Helen?) and make a suggestion: Brandon and Chase do NOT want to rush into a relationship. They need to be musical partners and friends, and that needs to be paramount over any sexual partnership. If they screw and screw up, the resulting emotional rough edges will make joint musicianship well nigh impossible.

--Rigel

WO.oT! Going to read it now! and Im first to respond... mwhahaha!

-----------------

-----------------

Note on the story... there's sumthin' fishy about those shorts :evil: ... hmm, like maybe they shouldn't get wet or they'll disolve or something... hmmm... :wub:

I can't blame the beta readers or editor for that one... :*)

On all my chapters is a note saying "All remaining errors are mine alone". That's the one thing I refuse to share credit for; those errors are mine, and I won't share! :2hands:

In this case, I fiddled with that line and made the typo AFTER everyone else on the team had seen it. :*) It's fixed now!

Thanks!!

Another great chapter CJ :2thumbs:

I love how they play mind games with Brandon, making him figure out which of them is gay, good touch!!

You answered a lot of my questions in this chapter, and i still can't wait to see the look on Brandon's bosses face when he finds out what happened ><

Now can i start ranting for chapter 4? Pretty please!!! :wub:

-LC

Hot tub scenes are just as good as pool parties. :2thumbs:

So once again we have a strong woman figure in the story who does the mother thing at the edge of the story. Interesting. Can't call it a pattern yet, but....I'm wondering what Sigmund would think. :P

The goat sub-group literary committee has ruled that the ending of this chapter does not constitute a cliffhanger.

Rule 224(2)(a)(viii) states that any ending that leaves the reader smiling cannot be a cliffhanger. :sheep:

Thanks Conner!

Well, of course its not a cliffhanger. I never use cliffhangers. 0:)

And have you noticed that CJ has something for tough lesbian bosses? First, Betty in FTL and now, Helen in LTMP. Ha, our goat has a small fetish? :P

Lol! No, I've just known a lot of strong-willed women. In fact, the first person I ever came out to was a good friend, who was also a Lesbian. I'm also of their belief that while many gay men have Lesbian friends, Lesbians are under-portrayed in Gay Fiction. :)

And, to be honest, when I was writing this, Helen's personality was clear in my mind, but her orientation was something I'd never considered. Until that one line, that is, when she said it. And I KNOW that sounds nuts, but sometimes, things just pop out when I'm writing, surprising me.

B) .......CJ, another great chapter! Very funny with the gaydar :wub: I think I could actually feel the heat from Brandon blushing!

One thing I found very difficult was writing a character with gaydar so much better than my own. LoL

I have to admit that I was chuckling or outright laughing my way through the entire chapter!! :P Right from the start when they are putting Brandon in front of the mirror, to when he gets asked to guess who is gay in the hot tub, I was in stitches.

I don't know if you planned the chapter the way you did, but inserting the little segment on "The Scar" kinda had me laughing even more. But I'm sure we will find out in the future more about him, and what he has against Instinct or if it is or is not personal.

The thing I liked about the chapter the most is that I think a lot of people can relate to Brandon through out the chapter. The way he is among new friends, unsure if they will accept him. Then when they have no problem with him, it builds his confidence and he is ready to make decisions with his gaydar. Hilarious :worship: .

With the references between Betty and Helen, I'm wondering if Helen will have some traits of Betty. Will she start showing some feelings towards a guy in this story? Hmmm, maybe they will be towards Gabe since he really is the only other male character so far. B) .

Finally, loved the way you set up the end for Brandon to guess yet again wrong which brother is gay. We have Eric giving Brandon the lycra shorts, letting him use his shower, offering him clothes, and deciding what pictures of Chase to put on the cover of the magazine. The start of the next chapter should be as good as the start of this one!! At least Jon won't be the only one to be mistaken for being gay, and can enjoy in a little payback.

Steve

P.S. Hopefully there is more hot tub or pool parties in the future :D

Thanks Steve!

Betty and Helen share some traits, but I doubt Helen will fall for a guy. But who knows?

B) ........I wonder if CJ is basing Betty & Helen on a real life character in his life

Yes. Helen and Betty are both loosely based on several people I knew in college. :) Only loosely though.

Quoting myself,

Then there's CJ's way.

And just as it's really starting to get interesting, CJ stops and leaves us. (Notice I didn't say Leaves us Hanging. Don't want to give our big headed goat the chance to remind us, he doesn't do cliffies).

Good chapter CJ. You gave us a few chuckles with this one. And nothing like a little break in the action with 'The Scar'.

Jan

I think you called it Jan! :2thumbs:

And too late, I've already had a chance to remind y'all that I never do cliffies. :P

I think he'll say Eric because 1. he doesn't want to indicate he fancies Chase, and 2. it was Eric that took those short into him. You'll notice that Brandon smiled after he put them on. He realised that they were very revealing, and is thinking that Eric did that deliberately.

I had to look up that word, and I was absolutely shocked! Their father did that for them! I think that's well and truly beyond the call of duty on his behalf. Those sons of his should be very proud of their dad for what he did. I don't think I would've done the same.... 0:)

ROFL! Well, me and my typos! :lol:

Thanks!!!

Interesting chapter, with lots of well written camaraderie.

Of course, the question to pose to Brandon is, "if you could sleep with one of us as a fantasy, who would it be?"

But I can't believe Helen and the boys haven't discussed the financial element. Will Brandon be paid a salary, or get a portion of the income, or some combination thereof? When you're dealing with lots of money (potentially) and possible emotional interaction, you want to have a contract detailing how you're going to be able to afford your life.

Also, if I could be the voice of aged wisdom (Helen?) and make a suggestion: Brandon and Chase do NOT want to rush into a relationship. They need to be musical partners and friends, and that needs to be paramount over any sexual partnership. If they screw and screw up, the resulting emotional rough edges will make joint musicianship well nigh impossible.

--Rigel

Great points Rigel! I'm not saying whether or not they're right in the story (that would be a spoiler, and the Echidna will make a pincushion out of me if I do that), but they are excellent points! :2thumbs:

Of course, another possibility is that if Brandon guesses wrong in the "gaydar" quiz, Jon and Eric will impose the penatly: Brandon has to take Chase to bed. Eric will, of course, know that this isn't a problem for either of them (sort of like Monty Python's "No, not the comfy chair!").

Not that I think it's a good idea for them to be rushing into a sexual relationship, when they've only known each other for hours, but hormones will be whoremones.

--Rigel

Quoting myself,

Then there's CJ's way.

Jan

B) ....What!!, youv'e never seen a goat on a cliff!!!!!

Edited by Benji
Of course, another possibility is that if Brandon guesses wrong in the "gaydar" quiz, Jon and Eric will impose the penatly: Brandon has to take Chase to bed. Eric will, of course, know that this isn't a problem for either of them (sort of like Monty Python's "No, not the comfy chair!").

Not that I think it's a good idea for them to be rushing into a sexual relationship, when they've only known each other for hours, but hormones will be whoremones.

--Rigel

As you say, they've only recently met (a couple of days)... Of course, Brandon might be secretly infatuated with

or not. 0:)

BTW, Rigel, I should mention that I'm notorious for giving either-or answers that cover all possibilities. :devil:

B) ....What!!, youv'e never seen a goat on a cliff!!!!!

I'm not that kind of goat, so I never go near cliffs (or cliffhangers). 0:)

• Site Administrator
In other words, your not a Mountain Goat.

I think the question of whether he mounts or not is a personal matter that doesn't need to be brought up in a public forum....

In other words, your not a Mountain Goat.

Jan

I'm a goat that lives in the mountains, but not a mountain goat: I'm scared of heights... And Cliffhangers!

I think the question of whether he mounts or not is a personal matter that doesn't need to be brought up in a public forum....

ROFL!!

Well, this thread is now in a different forum. 0:)

I'm a goat that lives in the mountains, but not a mountain goat: I'm scared of heights... And Cliffhangers!

ROFL!!

Well, this thread is now in a different forum. 0:)

You know, if you just posted the next chapter to the story... well, we could talk about that instead of your love life with Shadowgod. :lmao:

Bob :wub:

CJ, in his own inimitable style just had to fiddle with it! :wacko:

You know, if you just posted the next chapter to the story... well, we could talk about that instead of your love life with Shadowgod. :lmao:

Are we back to that? I just watched the Robin Williams movie "Man Of The Year" where his character frequently references he 'dated' himself many times in high school. Isn't that what this will be for CJames/Shadowgod?

CJ, in his own inimitable style just had to fiddle with it! :wacko:

Are we back to that? I just watched the Robin Williams movie "Man Of The Year" where his character frequently references he 'dated' himself many times in high school. Isn't that what this will be for CJames/Shadowgod?

Mea culpa! Yep, as I said earlier in the thread, that was indeed the result of my fiddling. :*)

But, but, but.. I can't be the same entity as shadowgod! He's eeevil, and I'm not! Why, he even admits it! He even uses cliffhangers, which I, of course, would never do...

• 1 month later...

Hi All!

I just read the first three chapter of Let the Music Play. I have to say I was very impressed! Awesome job, CJ!

I had a few initial thoughts:

-I love the band name "Instinct". I kept thinking, "Wow! That sounds just like something a real band would name themselves!" Then I realized it was probably a clever play on "N'sync". Well done! :great:

-There's a "Mason Jar" restaurant here in Houston that I quite like! So I found that to be a delightful coincidence!

I hadn't successfully pegged Lump as a homophobe. Instead I was thinking that Chase was gay, and that that was the reason for the falling out with his parents, but I was thinking that Lump was also gay, had dated Chase, and that they'd ended up on bad terms. Which would thus explain why Chase and Lump hated each other, and might also explain why the boys would be hesitant about having another gay band member (for fear that the same thing would happen again!). I'm glad I turned out to be wrong on this!

Awesome several chapters! I'm really looking forward to catching up on the rest and joining the discussions here in the forum! (If there's room for one more quiet lurker that is 0:) )

Take care all and have an awesome day!

Kevin

Hi All!

I just read the first three chapter of Let the Music Play. I have to say I was very impressed! Awesome job, CJ!

I had a few initial thoughts:

-I love the band name "Instinct". I kept thinking, "Wow! That sounds just like something a real band would name themselves!" Then I realized it was probably a clever play on "N'sync". Well done! :great:

-There's a "Mason Jar" restaurant here in Houston that I quite like! So I found that to be a delightful coincidence!

I hadn't successfully pegged Lump as a homophobe. Instead I was thinking that Chase was gay, and that that was the reason for the falling out with his parents, but I was thinking that Lump was also gay, had dated Chase, and that they'd ended up on bad terms. Which would thus explain why Chase and Lump hated each other, and might also explain why the boys would be hesitant about having another gay band member (for fear that the same thing would happen again!). I'm glad I turned out to be wrong on this!

Awesome several chapters! I'm really looking forward to catching up on the rest and joining the discussions here in the forum! (If there's room for one more quiet lurker that is 0:) )

Take care all and have an awesome day!

Kevin

Welcome Kevin!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!!

But, as for the name, I think I'm about to get an "I told you so" or three now; I was warned about the possibility of people thinking there was a link, and I went with "instinct" as a name anyway, because I liked it. I had to pick a name not used by a real band (at least a well-known one) and I wanted it to be a single word, which didn't prove to be easy, LoL.

They definitly aren't nsync; it's only hinted at where you're at in the story, but they aren't pop, plus they play instruments. :)

I intended a link between the two, and in fact, in hindsight (and the coming "I-told-you-so's" will surely re-enforce, LoL) I should have probably given Instinct a different name. The problem was, I liked Instinct as a name and didn't want to change it. :)

One thing I've done is made sure there will be no "real" bands or songs mentioned in this story, and absolutely no celebrity "cameo's"

I do bend that rule slightly by mentioning one real-world magazine, but that's it. On the other hand, the "Mason Jar" is a real place in Phoenix (or at least was, in the right timeframe) and a lot of bands got their start there. I'm trying to keep everything real for the "scenery", such as the episodes in Rome.

Your confusion over Lump and Chase was intentional on my part; I tried to write it so it could be read several different ways, including that Chase was the homophobe and Lump was Gay. LoL

Thank you Kevin, and, ummm, you are very welcome to "lurk" here all you like (even though you are GA's best known postaholic! ;) )

I'm trying to keep everything real for the "scenery", such as the episodes in Rome.

I get the sense that you are well-traveled. I have been to several of the places mentioned in the story and your descriptions are very much what I remember.

Thanks for a great story.

But, as for the name, I think I'm about to get an "I told you so" or three now; ...

I intended a link between the two, and in fact, in hindsight (and the coming "I-told-you-so's" will surely re-enforce, LoL) I should have probably given Instinct a different name. The problem was, I liked Instinct as a name and didn't want to change it. :)

Thank you Kevin, and, ummm, you are very welcome to "lurk" here all you like (even though you are GA's best known postaholic! ;) )

Of course I'm above posting an "I told you so" comment so I'll just ask why the 19 month/4620-post lurker is calling the 26-month/2747-post lurker a postaholic?

• Site Administrator
But, as for the name, I think I'm about to get an "I told you so" or three now; I was warned about the possibility of people thinking there was a link, and I went with "instinct" as a name anyway, because I liked it. I had to pick a name not used by a real band (at least a well-known one) and I wanted it to be a single word, which didn't prove to be easy, LoL.

They definitly aren't nsync; it's only hinted at where you're at in the story, but they aren't pop, plus they play instruments. :)

There are SO many band names out there that it's almost impossible to come up with a name that hasn't been used unless you use a made-up word. I hadn't picked up on the similarity with N'sync because I saw the name "Instinct" on its own merits -- it's a decent band name with a lot of connotations about how they play, how they want their listeners to react, etc. A worthy band name in it's own right.

(even though you are GA's best known postaholic! ;) )

:blink::blink: *cough* Really? *cough* :blink::blink:

I get the sense that you are well-traveled. I have been to several of the places mentioned in the story and your descriptions are very much what I remember.

Thanks for a great story.

Thanks!! Yes, I've been to just about everywhere mentioned so far, though in some cases not recently. In the case of the Russian city mentioned (I'm being vague as this is the Ch 3 thread) I've never been there, so I used google earth and the internet to check on the locations of various things mentioned. But yes, I've taken that walk from the Spanish Steps to the Trevi Fountain in Rome quite a few times, and I very highly reccomend the Calzones at the nearby resturaunt I mentioned. Yum!

Thanks, and welcome to the forum MikeL!

Of course I'm above posting an "I told you so" comment so I'll just ask why the 19 month/4620-post lurker is calling the 26-month/2747-post lurker a postaholic?

Well, you'd be fully justified in the "Told-you-so" becuase you did indeed. :)

As for the postaholic issue, Kevin is a postaholic, and very good at it. :2thumbs:

He's closing in on THREE thousand posts! :music:

There are SO many band names out there that it's almost impossible to come up with a name that hasn't been used unless you use a made-up word. I hadn't picked up on the similarity with N'sync because I saw the name "Instinct" on its own merits -- it's a decent band name with a lot of connotations about how they play, how they want their listeners to react, etc. A worthy band name in it's own right.

:blink::blink: *cough* Really? *cough* :blink::blink:

That's an issue I ran into right from the start; just finding a name for their opening act was tricky, so I settled for one that might not be totally unused, but the band I gave it to is sufficiently different that I doub;t anyone would ever think it's the same one (assuming it's been used before; it hasn't, not by any major or well known group) Y'all will meet them soon. :)

Instinct was a name I liked, and I came up with it years ago when I wrote the draft for the first few chapters. It seemed to fit, and there are a few minor events on down the line where the name itself will play a role. I admit, I was concerned, but need as I'm keeping the "real world" bands and personalities entirely out of LTMP, I decided to go with it. Thanks!

And BTW, yes, Graeme, Really. :P

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..