Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

Flashback to the past

Myr

• Site Administrator

When I was growing up, I loved watching Tom and Jerry and Loony Tunes. Here are some.

If you happen to buy them... buy them from here so we get a nice kickback ;)

Tom & Jerry is my favs of the oldies cartoons

Road Runner & Wile E. Coyote is the second

it funny, the one that don't said a word are my favs

i didn't like the 1997 politcal correct Tom & Jerry

There is a new Popeye's Voyage release this week

and it good

:2thumbs:

"Tom and Jerry" was good, but I preferred the old Warner Brothers cartoons. I think that anything that has come out lately (since 1990) is so sanitized for political correctness, that they are not funny any more. :(

• Site Administrator

Please note that the above are all the original cartoons...

Much of them are older than my parents...

:D

.........and in that case, you are quite correct Myr, they are the best and funniest.

Before political correctness, I actually used to laugh. It used not to matter that perhaps it wasn't the right thing to do in real life, because, after all, it WAS only a cartoon after all........ and never to be taken seriously :blink: :wacko:

You know I liked all of thouse cartoons. Hanna-Barbara I liked too. Exit Stage Left is a one liner that will never leave the confines of my mind.

Of new non-adult cartoons, I actually enjoyed Rocko's Modern Life, and still watch it from time to time on nicktoons, when nothing else is on. I think I'm the only one in the world that enjoyed it though.

• Site Administrator

I think the quality of cartoons has tanked quite a lot since.... oh... about the 60's.

Tom and Jerry were creative and good. Loony Tunes, etc.

The Crapamation they've got now is disgusting. (I'm not ncessarily tarring Anime, as there are things I like. I'm talking about the crap on Nickoledeon and Cartoon Network (like Powder Puff Girls, Dexter's lab, etc)

Dexter's lab has some appeal, around 3am. Cartoons then were really marketed for adults when they first came out. Hamilton the pig has a nude woman on a calender hanging in his office in at least one episode of Lunny tunes, he is a talent agent in that episode.

The great thing about cable or satellite is that you can get a companion network to the Cartoon Network called Boomerang. This shows all the old cartoons, including some weekends that are devoted to a particular cartoon. The bad news is that it generally is not part of the basic satellite service (maybe it is for cable), therefore you have to pay an additional amount to get it, as well as other "non-basic channels."

BTW, the one that never fails to get at least a giggle out of me is the old cartoon called "The Wacky Races." :lmao::2thumbs:

• Site Administrator

Wacky Races is on DVD now I think...

I get Boomerang (we have digital cable and roadrunner). Actually, we have about 500 channels. It's somewhat riduculus since all I ever watch these days is Fox News... Well, I get trapped on History or Discovery (one of the 15 or so) if I flip around.