Evil Twins Quiz

I surprised myself with the spelling one. I got 13/15 which amazed me. I'm ashamed to admit that spelling is not my strong point. I can usually tell if something doesn't look right and I'm handy with a dictionary. :D

Sharon

• 4 weeks later...
Star Trek made it easy to tell the Evil Spock from the regular one. The goatee was a giveaway. Though the English language has no telltale goatee, it's a hairy thing. It's full of words that sound alike but mean very different things. How well can you distinguish these evil twins from one another?

Evil Twins Quiz

I found this rather entertaining so you might like to give it a whirl. I got nine out of ten correct, and no, I'm not owning up to the one I got wrong. :D

Sharon

8/10

BUT I "missed" number 6, "Which kind of breath is worse?", because of the way it was phrased (or because of the way I think). I knew that it's "bated breath" and not "baited breath", and thought that that's what it was asking (I didn't think there was any such thing as "baited breath"). So I understood the concept they were trying to test, but not the question they were asking (and to me it still seems like a silly question and a very poor way to test that concept :angry: )

The other one I missed was number 9. I just didn't know this one, but I did think about it the way they explained. I figured to "pour" over a book would essentially mean to "drench it with concentration" so I decided that that made much more sense than "pore" which dealt with tiny holes.

Here is a grammer one from the same site... this one seemed more difficult to me, however I again got 7/10 correct. Grammar quiz

3,4, and 9 were the ones that I got incorrect.

Kurt

I found this one much easier. I got 9/10 right.

I missed number 4, the "lay vs. lie" question. I was hoping I'd guessed correctly, but I honestly can't tell the difference anymore :( . I haven't been able to since about 3rd grade when we first learned it and I was about the only one in my class who could.

Here's another one---http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/Features/Qui....aspx?quizid=36

My result-->15/15

Yayy!

13/15 :*)

I misspelled "abundance" and "bureaucracy". I'm quite embarrassed about both since "abundance" is a fairly simple word and since I actually have a drunken anecdote about trying to spell "bureaucracy" (you'd think I'd have bothered to learn by now).

Fun quizzes! Thanks guys :D

-Kevin

Edited by AFriendlyFace

{I did this over on the AD Forum, so I decided to copy my post from there over here.}

Woo hoo! :*)

Word Quiz: Evil Twins

Nice work! Downright stellar.

You got 10/10 correct.

I admit I guessed on one of them, the "stationery" / "stationary" one. After completing the test, I Googled "stationery vs stationary" and the first site was Crane & Co., the stationery company. (http://www.crane.com/navContentProduct.asp...y-vs-Stationary). They offer a little trick for remembering which is which:

...remember that station-ery means pap-er.

Their article also says:

...should not feel too badly about confusing these two common words. In fact, they were once the same word and shared the same spelling.

Interesting. Les plus de choses changent, les plus de ils nous confondent. (The more things change, the more they confuse us.)

Colin B)

{Please excuse my almost non-existent French!}

Les plus de choses changent, les plus de ils nous confondent. (The more things change, the more they confuse us.)

Plus les choses changent, plus elles se compliquent.

ou Plus les choses changent, plus elles nous embrouillent.

I thought a little bragging was in order. :P

Plus les choses changent, plus elles se compliquent.

ou Plus les choses changent, plus elles nous embrouillent.

I thought a little bragging was in order. :P

Bondwriter, your bragging is in order! My French is almost non-existent! It's too complicated for me, and leaves my brain muddled. :P

Colin B)

• 1 month later...

I got the enormity/Enormousness one wrong 9/10

And on the spelling one i spelt "Mischievous" wrong as well as "consensus." 13/15 :(

Here is a grammer one from the same site... this one seemed more difficult to me, however I again got 7/10 correct. Grammar quiz

3,4, and 9 were the ones that I got incorrect.

Kurt

10/10 but i admit that i guessed the 'coolest guy in the school' one...

Edited by writeincode

On the first one I made 9/10, I missed the enormousness one... that just didn't seem like a word to me at all. On the second one I managed 8/10.

And! I'm proud of myself. :worship::wub:

Krista

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got 10/10 on the first two, and haven't had courage to try the spelling one yet.

It does seem that enough people have misused "enormity" that dictionaries now recognize a size meaning for it, too. I still reserve use of the word to apply to things on the order of the Holocaust. I think people sound pretentious when they say "enormity" and all that they mean is that something is really big. Just say what you mean.

8/10

BUT I "missed" number 6, "Which kind of breath is worse?", because of the way it was phrased (or because of the way I think). I knew that it's "bated breath" and not "baited breath", and thought that that's what it was asking (I didn't think there was any such thing as "baited breath"). So I understood the concept they were trying to test, but not the question they were asking (and to me it still seems like a silly question and a very poor way to test that concept :angry: )

The other one I missed was number 9. I just didn't know this one, but I did think about it the way they explained. I figured to "pour" over a book would essentially mean to "drench it with concentration" so I decided that that made much more sense than "pore" which dealt with tiny holes.

I thought the "baited breath" one was an attempt at humor. If you were in on the joke, you would get the right answer. It reminds me of a sign I saw on a filling station in a little redneck town that was rapidly becoming a yuppie suburb, advertising "Fresh Bait" and "Cappuccino."

Your number 9 reasoning reminded me of Minnie Pearl. She was a comedienne on the Grand Ole Opry. She said that her dog could read: why, just that morning she saw him pouring over the news. [And Benny Hill said he named the pup "Liberace" because he was the pianist.]

• 3 weeks later...

On evil twins 8 outta 10 go me! I got 2 & 10 wrong. & on the other 1 i got 10 outta 15. LOL thats what spell check is for when it wants to work properly, I'll never be a english professor thats for sure & just think i want to go away to college to be a actor. At least i can read but writing HA! thats another story.

• 1 year later...
  • Site Administrator

LOL, well I did 8/10. Pedal to the metal is mostly spelling on what the phrase means. I hate it when I read a story and find words misused. Most often I come across shuttered for shuddered and taught for taut. Just the little things that jump out and ruin the flow of a story. Ahh well, life, even in fictional lives, must continue!

Edited by anordwell

On the first one I made 9/10, I missed the enormousness one... that just didn't seem like a word to me at all. On the second one I managed 8/10.

And! I'm proud of myself. :worship::wub:

Krista

I just tried this damn thing again and got 5/10... I'll take my first grade. :)

• Site Administrator

I did the grammar quiz, I got 8/10. I second guessed myself on 2 of the answers, turns out my first impluse would have been right. Oh well, I still am impressed with myself considering I only did one year of grammar in high school 12 years ago! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I got 13/15 for the spelling quiz, I missed 2 answers on each quiz, I guess that is just my quota, lol. See, I would make a good beta reader!

Edited by Cia
  • 1 month later...