• Aiden's dad (TLW)
    • Reilly's dad (TLW)
    • Brad's dad (TOU)
    • Rory's dad (DD)
    • Seth's dad (DD)
    • Nelson's dad (WT)
    • Milo's dad (WT)
    • Frank's dad (TOSOM)
    • Dennis' dad (IFTB, if you think he's reformed)
  4. 4. Worst Dad

• Owen's dad (TLW)
    • Dennis' dad (TLW)
    • Jude's dad (TOU)
    • Aaron's dad (DD)
    • Rory's dad (DD)
    • Milo's dad (WT)
    • Frank's dad (TOSOM)
    • Oliver (and David)'s dad (TOSOM)
    • Travis' foster dad (ITFB)

Hi all!

Since people were bringing up parents in the Which Dom character do you want to BE thread I thought it might be fun to start a poll to see who everyone thought was the best and worst mom and dad.

For best mother I picked Rory's mom hands down! She got a lot of criticism and I agree that she didn't do everything right, but personally I thought she was an excellent mother! My second choice would probably have been Brad's mom, and Quinn's mom would have been right up there with her. Quinn's mom was definitely more conflicted than Brad's mom, but I think since she was a really major character and since we got such a good look at her it's easy to tell that overall she was a really excellent parent who really did do her best to come around and support her son (and his boyfriend). Frank also had a stand out good mom.

For worst mother I picked Oliver and David's mom , let's face it a lot of the other moms sucked big time, but Mary Martin seemed to do more than any of the others to actively hurt and manipulate sons. Aiden's mom is the most conflicted of all the "bad moms" IMO, and as such definitely not the "worst" although certainly one that did her son a great deal of harm. I think in the end she really did mean well though, she just wasn't strong enough to change. Owen's mom would have been my next choice, with Sara - Travis' foster mom - right behind her. These two mothers showed completely unacceptable levels of negligence. The difference is that Sara seemed more conflicted and less cold (well apart from the not talking or showing any emotions thing :P ) than Owen's mom. Jude's mom blows big time too.

For best father I picked Eddie, Rory's dad. I think it's obvious that Eddie really cared about Rory and did his best to be there for him when he himself was trying to figure out how to be a father. He's certainly the most thoroughly explored and well-developed dad too. Frank's dad would have been my next choice. He was heavily conflicted and made a lot of mistakes, but when it came down to it he was obviously willing to die to protect his (estranged) family, which says a lot. Reilly's dad would have been my next choice because he seems like a really excellent father figure, and actually all around he's less conflicted and more straightforwardly "good" than Eddie and Frank's fathers. He even went out of his way to help out Dennis! Nelson also has a stand out excellent (step) father!

For worst father I picked Oliver and David's dad. Once again quite a few of the others were pretty lousy, but Brain Martin went to new lengths of crappy-dadhood by actively trying to kill his offspring. Other stand out bad fathers would be Bill - Travis' foster dad/Sara's man - who again seemed to take pleasure in physically and emotionally harming Travis and Alan, and Owen's dad who just had no business raising a hand to someone as beautiful and awesome as Owen ( :angry: ). Dennis' dad would be next on my list, but I think we're really starting to delve into his character with IFTB, and that in itself is making him a more sympathetic character to me.

It's interesting to note that I picked both of Rory's parents as "the best", even though Rory's story (I would say) was primarily about the struggles he went through in his transition from one parent to another! It's heartwarming that Rory pretty much transitioned from living with a mom and grandmother who loved him very much, and having friends who genuinely seemed to care, to living with a dad (and his dad's partner) who loved him very much, and having an awesome boyfriend, best friend, and general circle of friends! Put that way it definitely sounds like the kid had it lucky, and spent too much time whining. Of course in the context of the story it's easy to see that he did go through a great deal of pain and confusion :(

Conversely, poor David and Oliver both had the worst parents in my opinion. So it's no wonder that they also had the most severe mental and emotional troubles.

What do you guys think?

-Kevin

Edited by AFriendlyFace
  • Site Administrator

On the issue of mom's, you left off Rory's mom's mom -- Grandma Alice. She's a pivotal character and a mom. I'm not sure I would vote for her as best or worst mom, but she should be included, I think.

On the issue of mom's, you left off Rory's mom's mom -- Grandma Alice. She's a pivotal character and a mom. I'm not sure I would vote for her as best or worst mom, but she should be included, I think.

I did consider her, but had elected not to include her. However, you make a very good point, and since I was "on the fence" about including her anyway, and since at worst people simply won't vote for her, I've edited the poll to include her.

Thanks for voicing this concern, Graeme :)

-Kevin

Wow, another great poll! :)

Best Mother- Brad's Mother.

She's the figure of good mother in Dom's stories. Shemanages all those kids so well (that's damn hard) and she's really supportive and understanding about homosexuality. She's even a second mother to Owen and Jude in case of difficulty. :worship: At some places, I find Quinn's mother really good but at start she was such a bitch! (Sorry, but she was!)

Worst Mother- Jude's mother

C'mon, how can she hurt someone's so sweet? She must be damn callou. And a mother's suposed to help her child, whatever they are and not leave them struggling like that!!!

Best dad- Rory's Dad

Hands down, he's the best! He's a great father, here for both Luke and Rory. He;s understanding. His past doesn't seem great but he came out so well. BONUS- I love the way he met Jase (The bar... :D:wub: )

Worst Dad- Owen's dad

Not only, he pushed his first two sons away but also made the life for the third pure hell! :angry: And when he learnt that Owen's gay, not only he bashed him but also prevented Nicky from meeting him! :o:angry:

Have you guys seen the list for 'Bad mothers'? :D Wow, Dom does seem to have something against these ladies.

Take care,

Ieshwar

quick answers on a gut level:

Best mom = Nelson's Mom

Best dad = Seth's Dad

Worst mom = Jude's Mom

Worst dad= Oliver and David's Dad

you know Kevin, this really is a fun thing to do... a nice reminder of the great stories and the fun i had reading them B)

• 4 weeks later...

hmmm...i think this voting is slightly based on what youve read first or sticks in your minds...heh

i think Rory's mom was the best mother, since she not only reconciled her "mistake" of not telling rory and eddie about each other, but she almost seemed omniscienct sometimes...(she recorded her voice as a gift to Rory...i think that was AWESOME...that scene when rory was opening his present had me REALLY close to tearing...and i dont cry easily..heh)

i didnt not like oliver's and david's mom at all...she was a total B*7c4 ...did feel SLIGHTLY sorry for her at 1 point...but that was slightly..

i voted for rory's dad, eddie, for best dad since i see in him all the things i see in my dad (although my dad isnt gay nor does he speak as much as eddie does)...heh, and im pretty sure my dad wont disown me or get mad if i did come out eventually...heh...

and i totally disliked brian martin, david's and oliver's dad... wow...what a lamer...(was he inbred or something?) (that wasnt inappropriate, right?)

and that's my votes.. :D

-robi

Best mom = Nelson's mom

Best dad = Mars Fisher

Worst mom = Mary Martin (tramp..she suffered the consequenses)

Worst dad= Bill ( he suffered the consequenses too)

NJ,

Luke is gonna be sooooo pissed that you didn't vote Gramma Alice as best mom!

Steve :P

Hey Robi!

i think Rory's mom was the best mother, since she not only reconciled her "mistake" of not telling rory and eddie about each other, but she almost seemed omniscienct sometimes...(she recorded her voice as a gift to Rory...i think that was AWESOME...that scene when rory was opening his present had me REALLY close to tearing...and i dont cry easily..heh)

Yeah, that was pretty sweet and awesome! I cried a bunch at that part!

i didnt not like oliver's and david's mom at all...she was a total B*7c4 ...did feel SLIGHTLY sorry for her at 1 point...but that was slightly..

Definitely!

i voted for rory's dad, eddie, for best dad since i see in him all the things i see in my dad (although my dad isnt gay nor does he speak as much as eddie does)...heh, and im pretty sure my dad wont disown me or get mad if i did come out eventually...heh...

Aww :wub: Awesome! :D

and i totally disliked brian martin, david's and oliver's dad... wow...what a lamer...(was he inbred or something?) (that wasnt inappropriate, right?)

Yup, definitely a big jerk!

I wonder if perhaps putting Oliver and David's parents in the poll more or less ensured that they would be the least popular?

Take care all and have a fantastic day!

Kevin

Yeah, that was pretty sweet and awesome! I cried a bunch at that part!

:wub: Awwww *hands tissue*

I noticed that most parents are either really awsome or really assholeish. An exception is Quinn's mom, which is why I'm not so sure, on the one hand she's supportes Jude on the other she ignores his relationship with Quinn and that leads to akward moments. She's probably not even the worst mom, but the last chapter of TOU made me like her the least, because she SHOULD be different. Otherwise she's really cool, but this was sooooo dissapointing. Thumbs up that she didn't withdraw her support for Jude though.

Worst mom- Quinn's mom

Best mom- grandma Alice

She supported her daughter and later her grandson so much. Plus she reminds me of my mom (can be though, but it never gets boring)

Best dad- Rory's dad

It's so cute how he's all insecure about being a father, but tries so hard to be a good father.

Worst dad-

That's a hard one, Dom's stories are full of bad dads. The obvious choice would be the Dave Martin's dad, Dennis's dad is also an ass. Owen's dad is also bad.

The Martin's dad is a psycho, so I think I'm not going to include him, because to me he doesn't qualify as a "normal" person or a father - I know, sounds tough. Dennis raises his children to be violent and Owen's dad makes the same mistake twice. This is a hard decision. I think I'll pick Owen's dad because Dennis's dad at least provides entertainment in ITFB.

Worst dad- Owen's dad

That's my vote B)

• 2 years later...

Sorry, not possible for Rory's mom to be the best, you don't keep a child from its parent, that is just wrong. She did a decent job of raising him, but can't be the best.

Owen's mom was the worst, how can you watch your child being murdered and worry about the floor getting bloody.

Best mom and dad, Seth's parents, they handled their son and all their kids in the exact right way.

• 2 weeks later...

Owen's mom was the worst, how can you watch your child being murdered and worry about the floor getting bloody.

Best mom and dad, Seth's parents, they handled their son and all their kids in the exact right way.

Totally agree with Tim. I hated Owen's Mum - how can someone stand by and watch that happen to their own child.

Seth parents seem to be perfect, however they just lost to Nelsons in my vote.

And Milo's dad was the worst for me because my mind is still in the WT universe and I really hate what he is doing to Milo

Totally agree with Tim. I hated Owen's Mum - how can someone stand by and watch that happen to their own child.

Seth parents seem to be perfect, however they just lost to Nelsons in my vote.

And Milo's dad was the worst for me because my mind is still in the WT universe and I really hate what he is doing to Milo

I love Reilly's mom and dad and can I tell you how bummed I am no one ever dated him. I was hoping Owen or Travis or Dennis or someone could show the boy some love. I think nerds are hot.

I liked Seth's parents too, they, like the Reilly's, are how parents should be.

I didn't like Owen's mom of course, but I actually thought Aiden's mom was the worst. She needed to be there for her son, not mess his life up more.

Best dad was Rory's dad, he was so dang patient.

I love Reilly's mom and dad and can I tell you how bummed I am no one ever dated him. I was hoping Owen or Travis or Dennis or someone could show the boy some love. I think nerds are hot.

Hear Hear! I was always hoping Reilly would have a story of his own. Here's to hoping DOM will come back to these characters again one day and Reilly will finally have his own little happy ending. ^.^