Bad things to put into a microwave...

The reason I started this topic is:

I'm stupid :(

but there's more to it then that.

So I ran out of underwear. It happens. I'm not the type to go commando, especially because it's very cold here right now. I didn't want to wear dirty underwear (naturally) so I washed some. I don't have a dryer (you know where this is headed, don't you?) so I thought the fastest way to dry my underwear was to put it into the microwave. (Everybody who's out there shaking their heads WHERE WERE YOU!?)

So I put it on a plate and of course, there was a lot of steam and a wet spot on the plate but it didn't really get any dryer. We have a little metal-wire thing that stands on three legs and I thought it would be a good idea to put my panties on there because then it would get some air from below, right? I know they say don't put metal into a microwave, but I put metal spoons in there all the time (same thing with plastic, they say it melts. It doesn't if you're careful). So I set it on the highest level possible and made some tea in the meantime.

My attention turned back to the microwave when I saw sparks coming out of it. Now my underwear has small burnt spots on it and my kitchen smells like burnt washing powder. I'm glad it didn't catch fire.

I know it was a stupid idea. But I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who has ever put things into a microwave. Share with me so I won't repeat your mistakes.

-------------------------------------------

What happens when you put an egg into a microwave?

The other one's stuck in the door.

The reason I started this topic is:

I'm stupid :(

but there's more to it then that.

So I ran out of underwear. It happens. I'm not the type to go commando, especially because it's very cold here right now. I didn't want to wear dirty underwear (naturally) so I washed some. I don't have a dryer (you know where this is headed, don't you?) so I thought the fastest way to dry my underwear was to put it into the microwave. (Everybody who's out there shaking their heads WHERE WERE YOU!?)

So I put it on a plate and of course, there was a lot of steam and a wet spot on the plate but it didn't really get any dryer. We have a little metal-wire thing that stands on three legs and I thought it would be a good idea to put my panties on there because then it would get some air from below, right? I know they say don't put metal into a microwave, but I put metal spoons in there all the time (same thing with plastic, they say it melts. It doesn't if you're careful). So I set it on the highest level possible and made some tea in the meantime.

My attention turned back to the microwave when I saw sparks coming out of it. Now my underwear has small burnt spots on it and my kitchen smells like burnt washing powder. I'm glad it didn't catch fire.

I know it was a stupid idea. But I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who has ever put things into a microwave. Share with me so I won't repeat your mistakes.

-------------------------------------------

What happens when you put an egg into a microwave?

The other one's stuck in the door.

B) ......You wouldn't happen to own a hair dryer would you?

Where were you when I needed you????

(actually I thought the microwave would go faster... :huh: I know. Stupid.)

No , it's not stupid , You are simply extending the role and use of technology , You are creative and solved the problem of how to add ventilation holes in underwear .

I have microwaved a pair of glasses once , because a) I have no patience whatever and B) I can be a bit distracted .

One morning someone asked me for a cup of chocolate , so I shaved a cup full of the stuff into the microwave , gave it X minutes on high by slamming on the panel , who knows what the display showed , I was gone . I knew I would return within two minutes which I did , and removed the cup . Ouch! that was pretty hot , I nearly dropped it on the table . I was getting pretty warm, I kind of move fast . I took off my pull over and of course it got caught over my head because of my pair of glasses I fished them out of the tangle of wool over my head ,mumbling ,cussing and turning into circles , my arms weaving about randomly . I remembered latter on dropping the glasses somewhere near by on some shelf , I dropped the pull over on a chair , picked up the hot chocolate cup and closed the microwave door with a shoulder , ignoring the ding! and whirrs . Couldn't bother to reset it so it went for god knows how long on high . Needless to say that they are no longer prescription glasses , more like inedible pretzels . I realised they where missing sometime after ... now anyone seen my glasses ????

LOL! What a funny story! Don't feel stupid though, I've got some pretty crazy stories about how ditsy I can be too!

A comment though:

(same thing with plastic, they say it melts. It doesn't if you're careful).

Please stop doing this! They may not melt outright, but they break down a little bit and drip toxins into your food or beverage. You should also never microwave something with cellophane. It too breaks down slightly and drips it's toxins into the food its covering.

I had a friend who accidentally went swimming with his wallet in his pocket, then decided it would dry it out if he put it in the microwave...didn't work.

I like to have tea occasionally, however, I live alone so often times I don't want to make a whole pot. Thus, what I usually do is fill a mug with water, drop in a tea bag, and stick in the microwave for a couple of minutes. Usually works fine, only it turns out it's very important to remember to put in the water :*) Once I forgot to do this and after hearing a loud shattering noise found my tea bag in the microwave surrounded by quite a few bits of broken mug. Actually, after hearing the shattering and realizing that the mug had broken I was relieved to discover that I'd forgotten to put in the water, since cleaning up the broken glass + water would have been a bigger mess. Of course after I realized that it only broke because I forgot to put in the water I felt a bit silly.

My grandmother once ruined her microwave by attempting to use it empty as a timer. Apparently, they're not designed to be run empty and she melted the thingy that makes it turn.

Unfortunately I've been using the microwave more again recently. For a long time I essentially boycotted it because it's not really very good for you, AND I don't like the way it makes the food taste. However, lately I've been lazy again and using it.

Anyway take care and have an awesome day! :)

Kevin

No , it's not stupid , You are simply extending the role and use of technology , You are creative and solved the problem of how to add ventilation holes in underwear .

I have microwaved a pair of glasses once

:worship: Thanks, you make me feel better ;)

They may not melt outright, but they break down a little bit and drip toxins into your food or beverage. You should also never microwave something with cellophane. It too breaks down slightly and drips it's toxins into the food its covering.

It does???? OMG! They teach us quantum physics in school but they don't teach us that a microwave can slowly kill you??? I had to come to gayauthors to discover that?! Once again I'm glad I was brave enough to venture out of Dom's forum. I might even start reading some of the other stories here...

@Kevin:

:worship: Thanks for saving my live (well, I'm probably exaggerating, but you saved at least a couple of years (Even though the damage might already be done :wacko: ))

• Site Administrator
Please stop doing this! They may not melt outright, but they break down a little bit and drip toxins into your food or beverage. You should also never microwave something with cellophane. It too breaks down slightly and drips it's toxins into the food its covering.
It does???? OMG! They teach us quantum physics in school but they don't teach us that a microwave can slowly kill you??? I had to come to gayauthors to discover that?! Once again I'm glad I was brave enough to venture out of Dom's forum. I might even start reading some of the other stories here...

This sounds like a variation on the Cooking with Plastic story. This is not true. By all means be careful, but I strongly suspect that what Kevin has said isn't really the case.

AAh Microwaves and Plastics

Well nobody above is all right and nobody is all wrong!

A microwave oven consists of a microwave generator, and the oven internal space is part of the generator. The oven operates at a frequency which oscillates (heats) water molecules. If the oven is on, then it will attempt to flood the oven space with an electric field. If there are water molecules, these will be heated, and the all the power put into the oven will go on heating. If there are no water molecules, then the electric field will build up to a maximum. But there will be very little power used by the oven.

Metal objects will react to the electric field in the oven, and pick up an electric voltage. If that metal object is the right size and shape, the voltage will be large enough to cause sparks which could set alight objects.

In the majority of occasions, nothing will happen. Some times sparks will occur. Murphy's Law says it will happen to you when you do not want it to.

That is why people are always told not to put metal in an microwave oven.

Plastics can be a variety of difference types and sub types. They are notoriously difficult to recognise. A film can be any type. Most plastics have a lubricant (liquid) in them. Cling film, which is used to wrap food, comes in two form, poisonous and non-poisonous lubricants. When placed in the microwave oven, the lubricant gets heated and evaporates, or melts the plastic.

You can get microwave safe dishes and cling film. They are better than ceramic dishes. HOWEVER, unless the plastic is marked as microwave proof, safe or suitable, the manufacturer can not be sure that they are not poisonous, will melt, or do other nasty things. Today, there is not a big problem as most people will only make safe plastics (90%). In the early days, that was not the case.

So if the instruction tells you to remove plastic film, plastic container. Do it. If it says you can leave it on, do so. Only use plastic containers or utensils, in the microwave if they are sold or labelled as safe. In the UK, cheap plastic teaspoons have a 50% failure rate. ie left in a microwave oven they will melt, and give off noxious fumes.

I hope that helps

Red

To Simplify is to Ly

To understand requires Simplification

Explanations are Lies

G.N. Patchett 1968

AAh Microwaves and Plastics

Well nobody above is all right and nobody is all wrong!

A microwave oven consists of a microwave generator, and the oven internal space is part of the generator. The oven operates at a frequency which oscillates (heats) water molecules. If the oven is on, then it will attempt to flood the oven space with an electric field. If there are water molecules, these will be heated, and the all the power put into the oven will go on heating. If there are no water molecules, then the electric field will build up to a maximum. But there will be very little power used by the oven.

Metal objects will react to the electric field in the oven, and pick up an electric voltage. If that metal object is the right size and shape, the voltage will be large enough to cause sparks which could set alight objects.

In the majority of occasions, nothing will happen. Some times sparks will occur. Murphy's Law says it will happen to you when you do not want it to.

That is why people are always told not to put metal in an microwave oven.

Plastics can be a variety of difference types and sub types. They are notoriously difficult to recognise. A film can be any type. Most plastics have a lubricant (liquid) in them. Cling film, which is used to wrap food, comes in two form, poisonous and non-poisonous lubricants. When placed in the microwave oven, the lubricant gets heated and evaporates, or melts the plastic.

You can get microwave safe dishes and cling film. They are better than ceramic dishes. HOWEVER, unless the plastic is marked as microwave proof, safe or suitable, the manufacturer can not be sure that they are not poisonous, will melt, or do other nasty things. Today, there is not a big problem as most people will only make safe plastics (90%). In the early days, that was not the case.

So if the instruction tells you to remove plastic film, plastic container. Do it. If it says you can leave it on, do so. Only use plastic containers or utensils, in the microwave if they are sold or labelled as safe. In the UK, cheap plastic teaspoons have a 50% failure rate. ie left in a microwave oven they will melt, and give off noxious fumes.

I hope that helps

Red

To Simplify is to Ly

To understand requires Simplification

Explanations are Lies

G.N. Patchett 1968

B) .........I need to find this article, and when I do I will post it......but the guist of it was that the microwave oven can release toxins into the food when using plastics.

Usually works fine, only it turns out it's very important to remember to put in the water Once I forgot to do this and after hearing a loud shattering noise found my tea bag in the microwave surrounded by quite a few bits of broken mug. Actually, after hearing the shattering and realizing that the mug had broken I was relieved to discover that I'd forgotten to put in the water, since cleaning up the broken glass + water would have been a bigger mess. Of course after I realized that it only broke because I forgot to put in the water I felt a bit silly.

Kevin, You are soooo Blonde!!!!

My grandmother once ruined her microwave by attempting to use it empty as a timer. Apparently, they're not designed to be run empty and she melted the thingy that makes it turn.

That's the influence of his blonde grandson! :P

I never made all this mistakes of course! :P:D (Yeah, I'm snob!)

Ieshwar

I wouldn't put an egg in the microwave either. I'm thinking you're meaning an unprepared or unbroken egg... I remember in the fourth grade my science teacher brought an egg for lunch and she microwaved and wanting a "boiled egg" for lunch.. lol. Long story short... the egg exploded when she hit it with her spoon to crack the shell and it burnt her in many different places...

I don't use the microwave at all. Mom does some to heat up her tea if she wants warm tea.. and doesn't have the time to boil the water.. that's about it. You should never live dangerously with Microwaves though.. so take spoons and other metal or plastic objects out of them.. as it says not to microwave metal. You're probably lucky you've not blown up many more microwaves.. lol.

Krista