Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Let The Music Play, Ch 10: Tequila

woody

I didn't think Jon and Eric were teens? There's a comment about being old enough to legally drink, which is (in the USA) 21 (unlike the much more sensible 18 in Australia and other countries). Eric may still be a teen -- I'd have to go back to see if he's 19 or 20, but Jon isn't.

i just had a look and i dont think Erics actual age is mentioned anywhere just that hes somewhere between 18-21 though it seems like that its either 19 or 20 since you kinda get the feeling hes right in the middle of the other brothers

You're both right! (Mea culpa on the tw0-teens comment) Eric is the middle brother (mentioned once, very early on, so I'd probably better re-enforce it in the text) and Jon is 21. Chase is 17 (almost 18), and I can't remember if I specified it or not, but Eric is 19 (I do recall referring to Jon as the eldest and Chase as the youngest a few times, but I think I only specified Eric as the middle one once). Jon is old enough to drink legally in the US, Eric isn't. However, at a private celebrity event, it is quite likely that no one would stop a VIP guest, even a 19 y/o, from having a few drinks. So Helen's cutting off the bar rankled them both, particularly Jon who is old enough to drink. It also made it worse; instead of a few drinks, they got a bottle of liquor, and it was tequila.

As you might guess from that, I TOTALLY agree with Graeme on this issue; I feel the total-no-alcohol-until-21 laws are nuts. For example, a second LT can command a platoon in combat for a full tour, then come back to the US where he's judged too irresponsible to have a beer if he wants one. This is a real issue, and does happen. There's also pretty strong evidence that being exposed to alcohol responsibly at an earlier age makes for more responsible drinking. I know for a fact that European countries, which do use this approach, have far fewer problems with alcohol abuse at age 21 and older.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Administrator
You're both right! (Mea culpa on the tw0-teens comment) Eric is the middle brother (mentioned once, very early on, so I'd probably better re-enforce it in the text) and Jon is 21. Chase is 17 (almost 18), and I can't remember if I specified it or not, but Eric is 19 (I do recall referring to Jon as the eldest and Chase as the youngest a few times, but I think I only specified Eric as the middle one once). Jon is old enough to drink legally in the US, Eric isn't. However, at a private celebrity event, it is quite likely that no one would stop a VIP guest, even a 19 y/o, from having a few drinks. So Helen's cutting off the bar rankled them both, particularly Jon who is old enough to drink. It also made it worse; instead of a few drinks, they got a bottle of liquor, and it was tequila.

I don't think you need to reinforce it in the text because I think everyone worked out the order. It was only Eric's age that was uncertain. It was pretty clear he was the middle brother.

As you might guess from that, I TOTALLY agree with Graeme on this issue; I feel the total-no-alcohol-until-21 laws are nuts.

The main argument I've heard for supporting the 21 drinking age in the USA is to do with driving. Australia has both the driving age AND the legal drinking age at 18, (which is the worst possible scenario, I think) and we have things under control. What we've done is to legislate a ZERO blood alcohol level for the first three years of your license -- effectively until you're 21. So you can drink from 18, but if you're going to drive, you can't drink until you're at least 21. It solves the driving while drunk issue quite neatly :)

• Site Administrator

In a way, the twenty one rule all across the states is kinda a good way compared to up here in the Great White North.

I live in a province that has a legal drinking age of 18, and there is one other one up here. Everyone else I believe it is nineteen. This creates a lot of problems in "border" towns, where kids that are not eighteen will cross over and buy booze, or go to the bar, and then decide they need to go home.

Looking back, was I mature enough to drink at 18? I think Eric proved what most 18 year olds would do when drunk. Although I may have not jumped table to table at a party, that would probably pale in comparison to some of the things I did :wacko: .

In a way, my opinion is that kids should maybe be exposed at even a younger age to alcohol, then they would learn to respect it more as they grew older. I think 90% of kids binge drink on their 18th here because they legally can. I imagine it is the same in the other provinces at 19 and most likely at 21 in the states.

Well there is my two cents, now I'm off to enjoy a nightcap before sleep.

Steve :D

For those of you who were wondering what THIS post was about, I was trying to post emoticons for the four outfits that the band was forced to wear... I just couldn't say more about it at that point but i had to express my outrage from this chapter somehow... :blink:

Eric is the middle brother (mentioned once, very early on, so I'd probably better re-enforce it in the text) and Jon is 21. Chase is 17 (almost 18), and I can't remember if I specified it or not, but Eric is 19 (I do recall referring to Jon as the eldest and Chase as the youngest a few times, but I think I only specified Eric as the middle one once).

I don't think you have to re-enforce it that much in the text, I mean it's stated clearly enough that chase is the youngest and will be soon 18. and in the presentation of the group in the very first chapter, at least, it was also stated that Jon was the oldest and 21, so therefore it's just logic to think that Eric is the middle bro.

As you might guess from that, I TOTALLY agree with Graeme on this issue; I feel the total-no-alcohol-until-21 laws are nuts

I agree, tho here it's 18... but hey my parent were letting me drink some wine and other alchool well before 18.. it's all about control and not go too far. For exemple getting waisted at a foundraiser event is not that bright. Helene might have went far for them not to drink at all, but don't we have enough celebrities getting too waisted and finishing the night by going bald :P ,, she is just trying to protect them from doing mistakes that has-been star do.

I don't think you need to reinforce it in the text because I think everyone worked out the order. It was only Eric's age that was uncertain. It was pretty clear he was the middle brother.

The main argument I've heard for supporting the 21 drinking age in the USA is to do with driving. Australia has both the driving age AND the legal drinking age at 18, (which is the worst possible scenario, I think) and we have things under control. What we've done is to legislate a ZERO blood alcohol level for the first three years of your license -- effectively until you're 21. So you can drink from 18, but if you're going to drive, you can't drink until you're at least 21. It solves the driving while drunk issue quite neatly :)

I still need to go back and check to see if I specified Eric's age... I know for sure i did Chase and Jon's, but I can't recall having done so for Eric.

I'm not sure I understand; if you drive, you can't drink EVER before 21, or there is just a zero tolerance when driving? For example, could a 19 y/o go buy a beer in a bar, and then drive a few days later? And, ummm, Rhys in HoTT drives, yet also drinks, just not at the same time?

I'd agree with zero tolerance for alchohol while driving, BUT, I don't agree if the under-21 has to accept a total ban on alcohol consumption even when not driving.

The driving age in the US is 16 in most states (some have it younger with special circumstances and restrictions) so we have never had the drinking age be the driving age.

In a way, the twenty one rule all across the states is kinda a good way compared to up here in the Great White North.

I live in a province that has a legal drinking age of 18, and there is one other one up here. Everyone else I believe it is nineteen. This creates a lot of problems in "border" towns, where kids that are not eighteen will cross over and buy booze, or go to the bar, and then decide they need to go home.

Looking back, was I mature enough to drink at 18? I think Eric proved what most 18 year olds would do when drunk. Although I may have not jumped table to table at a party, that would probably pale in comparison to some of the things I did :wacko: .

In a way, my opinion is that kids should maybe be exposed at even a younger age to alcohol, then they would learn to respect it more as they grew older. I think 90% of kids binge drink on their 18th here because they legally can. I imagine it is the same in the other provinces at 19 and most likely at 21 in the states.

I agree about the boarder problem, but the problem is the whole culture of total abstinence from alcohol until 21 is a huge part of what makes alcohol such a "coming of age" thing and so attractive to teens.

Totally agreed that alchohol should be introduced at an age younger than the legal limit! That's part of what I meant about ditching the whole age-based fixation. I feel very strongly that wine with dinner on occasion, would be a good idea, regardless of age. In my family you got wine with dinner on sundays, once you were old enough to hold a wineglass (about 4). In the US, though, in many places a parent could get in legal trouble for that, which is just plain disgusting. It's just one more area where the government needs to butt the hell out unless there is actual harm occurring.

For those of you who were wondering what THIS post was about, I was trying to post emoticons for the four outfits that the band was forced to wear... I just couldn't say more about it at that point but i had to express my outrage from this chapter somehow... :blink:

I loved that, but I gave it some thoguht and came up with :ranger: :chris: for Chase (Indian) and Eric (Pirate), and for Jon, dang, that's hard... an emoticon for Peter Pan?

For Brandon (Zorro) I'd go :ph34r: Helen is easier; Fairy Godmother, :wizard:

I think I had Jerry as a sailor, so I'll just say :jerry:

I don't think you have to re-enforce it that much in the text, I mean it's stated clearly enough that chase is the youngest and will be soon 18. and in the presentation of the group in the very first chapter, at least, it was also stated that Jon was the oldest and 21, so therefore it's just logic to think that Eric is the middle bro.

I agree, tho here it's 18... but hey my parent were letting me drink some wine and other alchool well before 18.. it's all about control and not go too far. For exemple getting waisted at a foundraiser event is not that bright. Helene might have went far for them not to drink at all, but don't we have enough celebrities getting too waisted and finishing the night by going bald :P ,, she is just trying to protect them from doing mistakes that has-been star do.

Totally agreed; self-control is the key, and a kid HAS to learn that; they need to undertannd they are responsible for their own actions; they can't drink like a fish nor can they just push the accelerator down as far as it will go and leave it there whenever they want. Both are dangerous, and just like so many other things, require common sense. I very much agree with introducing kids to alcohol much earlier than the legal age.

As for Helen, Maybe she knows how they get, so was just trying to head off trouble? Given their reputation (Chase sure knew teouble was on the way, pus Jon's alchohol-grabbing trick was refereed to as "like the last time) I have a hunch she's dealt with their antics before. :devil:

The next few chapters touch on these issues quite a bit, BTW. :)

Thanks!!!

• Site Administrator
I'm not sure I understand; if you drive, you can't drink EVER before 21, or there is just a zero tolerance when driving? For example, could a 19 y/o go buy a beer in a bar, and then drive a few days later? And, ummm, Rhys in HoTT drives, yet also drinks, just not at the same time?

I was simplifying the situation. There is a requirement for a zero-blood-alcohol limit during the first three years of your license. Since the driving age is 18 in Australia, that means until at least 21. If you didn't get your license until you were 20, it would mean no alcohol if you're driving until you turn 23. Since it can take a day for the alcohol to get out of your blood, it essentially means if you drink, you don't drive for the next 24 hours (roughly). If you lose your license and are forced to re-sit for it, the three years starts again.

This is not a zero-tolerance issue, it is a legislated issue. We have random breath testing units in the cities (a lot less common in country areas) and you can be also be tested by any police vehicle that pulls you over for another offense (the testing units are handheld, though a positive results requires a blood test immediately afterwards and it is the blood test that is used for legal purposes).

After those three years, the legal blood alcohol limit while driving goes to 0.05%.

As for alcohol consumption before 18, the law varies from state to state, but essentially the law is about the buying of alcohol (you have to be 18 to buy it) and it is illegal to buy it on behalf of a minor. HOWEVER, you can purchase drinks for a minor if it is part of a meal and there is a parent/guardian present. Also, I believe underage drinking at home is legal -- it is assumed that the parents/guardians are responsible for the minor.

I was simplifying the situation. There is a requirement for a zero-blood-alcohol limit during the first three years of your license. Since the driving age is 18 in Australia, that means until at least 21. If you didn't get your license until you were 20, it would mean no alcohol if you're driving until you turn 23. Since it can take a day for the alcohol to get out of your blood, it essentially means if you drink, you don't drive for the next 24 hours (roughly). If you lose your license and are forced to re-sit for it, the three years starts again.

This is not a zero-tolerance issue, it is a legislated issue. We have random breath testing units in the cities (a lot less common in country areas) and you can be also be tested by any police vehicle that pulls you over for another offense (the testing units are handheld, though a positive results requires a blood test immediately afterwards and it is the blood test that is used for legal purposes).

After those three years, the legal blood alcohol limit while driving goes to 0.05%.

As for alcohol consumption before 18, the law varies from state to state, but essentially the law is about the buying of alcohol (you have to be 18 to buy it) and it is illegal to buy it on behalf of a minor. HOWEVER, you can purchase drinks for a minor if it is part of a meal and there is a parent/guardian present. Also, I believe underage drinking at home is legal -- it is assumed that the parents/guardians are responsible for the minor.

That makes perfect sense...

In the US, about half of traffic fatalities are alcohol-related, and about 50,000 people die on our roads each year. That means alcohol is causing about 25,000 road deaths per year, which is why laws that preclude teaching responsible drinking really, really gall me. In the US, a parent giving a child wine with dinner can, in some states, face prosecution. Also, if a parent tried giving a kid a sip of their own wine with dinner in a resturmant, it is quite likly the whole family would be tossed out. I've seen this happen to a visiting European family, so I know it can happen, and IMHO it is nothing short of insane.

Also, if a parent tried giving a kid a sip of their own wine with dinner in a resturmant, it is quite likly the whole family would be tossed out. I've seen this happen to a visiting European family, so I know it can happen, and IMHO it is nothing short of insane.

wow, that is quite insane, specially since lots of the european countries , they can dring starting like 15

wow, that is quite insane, specially since lots of the european countries , they can dring starting like 15

Yep, and they have far, far fewer alcohol problems than the US does, IMHO largely as a result.

BTW, the story of the band has taken part so far in Los Angeles (also abbreviated LA and HELL) I've does anyone find it too much of a stretch that I portray the characthers as actually breathing? Usually, the natives just hold their breaths for a few months at a time, and try to avoid breathing entirely during smog season (which runs from Jan 1st to Dec31st).

0:)

• Site Administrator
does anyone find it too much of a stretch that I portray the characthers as actually breathing?

Nope. I've been there and some parts have air that is quite breathable :P In fact, I'll be there next week for a couple of day, too.

What was more amazing was that Brandon would walk to and from the studio (when he was a roadie). I remember trying that my first time in L.A. (walking from the hotel to the office), and one of the company VP's pulled over and gave me a lift. He told me that he knew it had to be an Aussie walking, because no one else in the city walks anywhere....

See, the US's excuse for the 21 age limit was due to physcial reasons. One the liver, brain, and kidneys are still in development through adolesence, and alcohol can damage all three of these and in excess can stunt their proper development.

So, /shrug

Bob D. :wub:

Personally, I would also have the not under 21 rule for driving a motor vehicle, voting, having a bank account, having sex, expressing political opinions... We should have large alliances between corporations and church or government-run institutions for young people, in which they would study and be used as free labor to contribute to the welfare of nations, rather than indulge in dumb entertainment, crass promiscuous behavior or any other loathsome and laughable attitudes.

Oh my! I feel like you're going to open my throat and pour alcohol in it when I'll be 21! :o Now, I'm legal to drink here but I got something called brains which tell me to stay away from it! :D

I think the legal age may be 18 or 21 but it would be the same. Stupid teens would be stupid teens and will drink. Just why not teach them to drink in moderation?

Ieshwar

What was more amazing was that Brandon would walk to and from the studio (when he was a roadie). I remember trying that my first time in L.A. (walking from the hotel to the office), and one of the company VP's pulled over and gave me a lift. He told me that he knew it had to be an Aussie walking, because no one else in the city walks anywhere....

Didn't they make sidewalks illegal in LA? ;)

Oh my! I feel like you're going to open my throat and pour alcohol in it when I'll be 21! :o Now, I'm legal to drink here but I got something called brains which tell me to stay away from it! :D

I think the legal age may be 18 or 21 but it would be the same. Stupid teens would be stupid teens and will drink. Just why not teach them to drink in moderation?

Ieshwar

I think that's one of the benefits of a lower drinking age. I grew up in a Canadian province with a drinking age of 19 but grew up in a small border town, I could be in the province of Quebec where the drinking age was 18 in 3 minutes, so I started drinking when I was 18 (at least that's what I told my parents...). My parents had some effective measures to make sure I drank responsibly. If I went out and I was driving I couldn't drink anything but that wasn't a problem as my firends took turns being the DD. My parents would "suggest" what time was appropriate for me to get home. If I came home drunk or late, they would wake me up at an ungodly hour and have me do the worst chores they could think of (though if I came home early and not wasted I could practically sleep until noon). The later or drunker I was the earlier and harder I would have to work... I soon caught on.

When I went to university near Toronto, I had been drinking for a few years and would shake my head at my friends whose first experiences with alcohol was in freshman year and many binge drank and had no idea how to moderate their drinking habits. Some never did figure out when to limit their drinking and some were even invited by the university to take a year off and consider whether they really wanted to go to university...

Steve

Nope. I've been there and some parts have air that is quite breathable :P In fact, I'll be there next week for a couple of day, too.

Yes, walking in LA is as inadvisable as driving there; that smog will get ya if you walk...

Just hold your breath while you are there... :)

See, the US's excuse for the 21 age limit was due to physcial reasons. One the liver, brain, and kidneys are still in development through adolesence, and alcohol can damage all three of these and in excess can stunt their proper development.

So, /shrug

Bob D. :wub:

LoL, which means they think that American's are physiologically different from the rest of the planet... Which, for the government, is about par for the course. LoL

Personally, I would also have the not under 21 rule for driving a motor vehicle, voting, having a bank account, having sex, expressing political opinions... We should have large alliances between corporations and church or government-run institutions for young people, in which they would study and be used as free labor to contribute to the welfare of nations, rather than indulge in dumb entertainment, crass promiscuous behavior or any other loathsome and laughable attitudes.

LoL!

Ieshwar

And that's the problem; by decreeing total avoidance of alcohol, they avoid teaching sensible management, and so you make the problem worse. Good for you for not drinking BTW.

Didn't they make sidewalks illegal in LA? ;)

I herd that they did; Any pedestrains just walk between the perpetually gridlocked cars... Actually, LA is now the source for a lot of classic cars; when someone drives a new car off the showroom floor, it's aged enough to be a classic by the time they get it home.

I think that's one of the benefits of a lower drinking age. I grew up in a Canadian province with a drinking age of 19 but grew up in a small border town, I could be in the province of Quebec where the drinking age was 18 in 3 minutes, so I started drinking when I was 18 (at least that's what I told my parents...). My parents had some effective measures to make sure I drank responsibly. If I went out and I was driving I couldn't drink anything but that wasn't a problem as my firends took turns being the DD. My parents would "suggest" what time was appropriate for me to get home. If I came home drunk or late, they would wake me up at an ungodly hour and have me do the worst chores they could think of (though if I came home early and not wasted I could practically sleep until noon). The later or drunker I was the earlier and harder I would have to work... I soon caught on.

When I went to university near Toronto, I had been drinking for a few years and would shake my head at my friends whose first experiences with alcohol was in freshman year and many binge drank and had no idea how to moderate their drinking habits. Some never did figure out when to limit their drinking and some were even invited by the university to take a year off and consider whether they really wanted to go to university...

Sounds like you parents had a good idea there. :2thumbs:

This is what I mean by teaching responsibility through gradual introduction, instead of the present US system.

Well, I am now officially all caught up and ready for the next chapter! :D

LOL, I was going to jump into the discussion but every time I had a comment I'd scroll a bit further and discover it had already been made! :lol:

So I'll just sit here lurking till the next chapter comes out! 0:)

Awesome job, CJ! I'm really enjoying the story and can't wait to see what happens next!

One quick comment (okay so I lied a bit :boy: ) I'm so glad you included lesbians! I really hope we get to see more of Helen and Barbara's dynamic! :D

Take care and have a fantastic day all!

Kevin

Well, I am now officially all caught up and ready for the next chapter! :D

LOL, I was going to jump into the discussion but every time I had a comment I'd scroll a bit further and discover it had already been made! :lol:

So I'll just sit here lurking till the next chapter comes out! 0:)

Awesome job, CJ! I'm really enjoying the story and can't wait to see what happens next!

One quick comment (okay so I lied a bit :boy: ) I'm so glad you included lesbians! I really hope we get to see more of Helen and Barbara's dynamic! :D

Take care and have a fantastic day all!

Kevin

Thanks Kevin!!

Yes, we will be seeing more of Barbara is coming chapters, and her dynamic with Helen.

I can't really be positive whether I planned this in advance or not (I don't really remember) but including Lesbians in both my serials seemed like a natural thing to do; most gay men I know (myself included) seem to know some Lesbians, so I figured they'd be a natural part of a gay story. :)

BTW, the next chapter. "Wild Wild Night" should be online later today (Tuesday).

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..