Man's Best Friend by BeaStKid

• 4 weeks later...

I sure wish more members would take the opportunity to post feedback to authors of stories they've read. Don't forget to submit a review too!

I was there my both my cats died. I held them in my arms as they took their last breath. I cried for my loss. What an extra special place this would be if our pets could really talk to us like Typsy did. Nicely done BK. I like to believe in the Rainbow Bridge. If it exists then Typsy and all our beloved pets are there waiting for us to join them and they are all happy and healthy. Peace will only come when we finally join them there and move along to whatever comes next.

My review seems to have disappeared. I really did write one. I always do when I read a story. I'll have to post it again.

ADDED: I posted my review again:

While short, this story was still very moving. I really like it when an author takes a chance, posts from an atypical point of view or situation, and it turns out as well as this did. I also always appreciate a well-edited story and this one was well edited. Thanks for a great read BK.

Edited by GaryInMiami

The credit for editing goes to my dear friend, Kitty. She's a genius at this work. Watch out for two flash (very short stories) entries due in the first week of March. She did a wonderful job in editing them. :)

The anthology for which this one written had a precondition that the story must be written from the perspective of an animal of your choice. I chose a dog and wrote this as a tribute to my beloved pet. :)

As you can see, we shared a great bond. She was with me for a major part of my life and I really do miss her. :)

BeaStKid

Warning: Potential feeble attempt at humor lies ahead...

Kitty deserves a good brushing/ego stroking until you hear and feel the purr of of a contented cat. My cats always loved a gentle tummy rub too. Make sure you treat Kitty right.

Warning: Potential feeble attempt at humor lies ahead...

Kitty deserves a good brushing/ego stroking until you hear and feel the purr of of a contented cat. My cats always loved a gentle tummy rub too. Make sure you treat Kitty right.

:lol:

It's the other way round... :D

She's an admin at another site where I am a hosted author. It's a relatively new site, launched just last year. The best part about her editing is that she doubles up as an awesome beta-reader as well, saving the time between the successive postings in this way.

Her advice is simply great (for want of a better word). The only problem is that with managing the community at that site and editing for some more authors there, she is quite busy. So I send in only those stories to her that are serial ones or the ones done for anthologies on that site.

:)

BeaStKid

I've discussed the editing and beta-reading situation with so many people behind the scenes. My personal take on it is the beta-reader should work with the author while the story is being developed to ensure consistency and continuity on many levels. Then the editor should get the last shot to make sure the mechanics of the writing is appropriate. Making sure to work with a good stylebook goes a long way to being a good editor.

I've discussed the editing and beta-reading situation with so many people behind the scenes. My personal take on it is the beta-reader should work with the author while the story is being developed to ensure consistency and continuity on many levels. Then the editor should get the last shot to make sure the mechanics of the writing is appropriate. Making sure to work with a good stylebook goes a long way to being a good editor.

Agreed. As Kitty doubles up as both, we go through a minimum of three edits before the story/chapter is finally put up. :)

Agreed. As Kitty doubles up as both, we go through a minimum of three edits before the story/chapter is finally put up. :)

Good evening. How was lunch? Here it's 8:30 AM and I'm having my first double-espresso with freshly ground beans. You know, it will soon be be three years since the last of my cats had to be euthanized. I still frequently awake in my usual pre-coffee fog to memories of my baby spooning with me, purring away even as she slept. She slept with me every night. Somehow I always knew not to turn over too fast for risk of crushing her. I made that mistake only once and paid for it dearly. When she escaped I got clawed in the balls. Never made that mistake again, :) From then on we seemed to sense when I needed to move and she'd get up, bitching all the time as only Siamese can do; but as soon as I settled down she'd assume her previous position. In fact she was almost always in physical contact with me except for a few hours each day when she'd nap with my other, older cat. They always looked so cute all tangled up together, snoozing in blissful slumber. So human in so many ways.

:wub::(

Good evening. How was lunch? Here it's 8:30 AM and I'm having my first double-espresso with freshly ground beans. You know, it will soon be be three years since the last of my cats had to be euthanized. I still frequently awake in my usual pre-coffee fog to memories of my baby spooning with me, purring away even as she slept. She slept with me every night. Somehow I always knew not to turn over too fast for risk of crushing her. I made that mistake only once and paid for it dearly. When she escaped I got clawed in the balls. Never made that mistake again, :) From then on we seemed to sense when I needed to move and she'd get up, bitching all the time as only Siamese can do; but as soon as I settled down she'd assume her previous position. In fact she was almost always in physical contact with me except for a few hours each day when she'd nap with my other, older cat. They always looked so cute all tangled up together, snoozing in blissful slumber. So human in so many ways.

:wub::(

I'm very sorry about your lose, even though it's been a while. I know how it feels love a beloved pet. I lost two very special birds when I was much, much younger. One went psycho and the other died trying to lay her eggs.

Anyways, I believe that when we leave this earth, we'll see them again.

Oh, and you getting clawed, I'm wondering, how did you react? I need the info for my story...

Now, for my reivew of the story:

:cry: That is so sad. But it was wonderfully written. :hug:

Oh, and you getting clawed, I'm wondering, how did you react? I need the info for my story...

Weird request. But OK. My life's an open book. I was under the covers at the time. She squirmed her way out from under me and wound up on top of me since I was on my back. At that point she wanted nothing more than to get the heck out of there. So she dug in her claws for good traction and flew out from under the covers. I reacted with such force and searing pain that I ripped the top sheet and sent the comforter flying. Thought my waterbed would burst when I landed. She hid for several hours. I was in constant pain for several days. Luckily I work at home for myself so I spent much of the time with no pants or boxer-briefs so I could keep applying a topical pain reliever and an antibiotic cream to the injury. Also the cool air made it feel a little better. Clothing just hurt too much. Looking back on it I can laugh about it. At the time there was no laughter. Just lots and lots of pain. Just ask any man who's had his balls injured how much it hurts even without getting sliced and diced!

She also liked to groom me. I can tell you the story of the time she tried grooming my tool. It's actually a funny story. Not sure if it's safe for forum posting though.