Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Let the Music Play Chapter 29

• Site Moderator
Principle target, subject etc.. In this case principle refers to Brandon. Though I think it would refer to the Instinct as a whole, as the band is Gunters principle when it comes to security. Helen falls under his wing to an extent I am sure, but seeing as she is not a memeber of the band, but she would not be a principle.

This was my first thought to the question. He was hired to protect the band.

B) ........Perhaps insight to prior military service, principle target, principle mission, etc. Gunter is getting interesting, no?

Another possibility as well given that we don't know much about Gunter.

I liked the conversation between the two of them. For most of the story, he as been quietly placed in the background keeping his eyes and ears open and we are just now starting to find out more about it. He sees Brandon for who he is and not what he is. I can see him putting his life on the line to protect Brandon, not because he' being paid to do that, but because he wants too.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, Great Chapter CJ :great: .

I too was a little disturbed by the poor enchidna being manhandled by Eric. Maybe Helen should have thrown (okay, change that to 'gently placed') the Echidna into bed with the naked Eric and the two girls and seen what happened. I'm sure Graeme would have enjoyed a peek :P , even if Helen didn't.

ROFL! Yes... If he had to miss the concert, well.. LoL!

So I have a question. In this passage when Gunter and Brandon were having their little chat:

I'm confused with that word principal.

Principal is not a principle (such as a moral belief). The word means "First" or "Chief" in this context. It is the norm for people in the security buisness to refer to their protectees as their principals. For example, in this case Brandon and Instinct are his principals.

Sorry, I kind of forgot that the term was professional parlance and might not be clear. I should have made it clear in the narration.

:*) It is a term that gunter would use naturally in this context, but I forgot that not everyone would know what it means.

I'll see if I can address the issue in a coming chapter somehow.

B) ........Perhaps insight to prior military service, principle target, principle mission, etc. Gunter is getting interesting, no?

:)

• Site Administrator
Principle target, subject etc.. In this case principle refers to Brandon. Though I think it would refer to the Instinct as a whole, as the band is Gunters principle when it comes to security. Helen falls under his wing to an extent I am sure, but seeing as she is not a memeber of the band, but she would not be a principle.

Shadowgod has managed to confuse the issue by using principle instead of principal.

From the Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

Main Entry:

prin

Shadowgod has managed to confuse the issue by using principle instead of principal.

In this case, the term "principal" is being used for Guunter's employer -- one of the most important person in his current employment. One of the people whom he has been hired to protect. It's normally a very formal term, but I've heard it used in the context of bodyguarding before.

:( ..............Acckkkk!!!! Shadowgd is sooooooooo evil!!

• Site Administrator

CIA, FBI, Secret Service, Homeland Securtiy, INTERPOL? :whistle:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud 0:) .

• Site Moderator

This word was also discussed in the Editing and Punctuation workshop. So I'll add that bit to the confusion.

Principal/principle

Yay grammar nazis!

Actually, most authors I read, especially online, tend to have one point or another about their writing that drives me absolutely nuts. CJ is one of the few that doesn't - he does make the occasional mistake, but not the same one over and over and over. Probably my biggest two pet peeves are "lose" vs. "loose" and using an apostrophe to make a word plural. (It's vs. its is also right up there.)

I think a possibly overlooked tidbit in this chapter (to get back on topic) is Jim. As far as I can tell, the Scar doesn't know about Helen's discreet arrangement for when the band gets back to the states, and Jim's biker gang not playing by the "standard" bodyguarding rules might well throw a curveball at an attempted assassination ... (edit: nice accidental assonance there :) )

P.S. While we're waiting (not so) patiently for chapter 30, does anyone have any good story recommendations? I've already read every serialized story on GA ...

Edited by BlueSoxSWJ
I think this chapter should have been called "Discarded Clothing". :P

Another good one, CJ! :worship:

Conner

Thanks Conner!

I was thinking that you might like that. :)

BTW, as a humorous aside, in the original draft (I only discovered it later) Chase had his left hand on Brandon't shoulder, his right hand running through Brandon's hair, and his other hand on Brandon's stomach. That would be three. OOps. :*)

Yay grammar nazis!

Actually, most authors I read, especially online, tend to have one point or another about their writing that drives me absolutely nuts. CJ is one of the few that doesn't - he does make the occasional mistake, but not the same one over and over and over. Probably my biggest two pet peeves are "lose" vs. "loose" and using an apostrophe to make a word plural. (It's vs. its is also right up there.)

I think a possibly overlooked tidbit in this chapter (to get back on topic) is Jim. As far as I can tell, the Scar doesn't know about Helen's discreet arrangement for when the band gets back to the states, and Jim's biker gang not playing by the "standard" bodyguarding rules might well throw a curveball at an attempted assassination ... (edit: nice accidental assonance there :) )

P.S. While we're waiting (not so) patiently for chapter 30, does anyone have any good story recommendations? I've already read every serialized story on GA ...

Thanks!!

I'm dyslexic, so I'm very prone to typos (I'm also a rotten typist) resulting in look-alike words. Fortunately, I have an absolutely superb team, because I utterly stink at proofing my own work.

Sometimes, goofs do get through. But in that case, they are mine alone; I have a statement in the credits that any remaining errors are mine alone. And they are. :)

BTW, whenever anyone sees a goof in a chapter, I am very greatful if you point it out so I can fix it. Either public or private is fine.

For a none-GA story, in fact several, both completed novels and a big selection of short stories, I most highly recommend Graeme

His story site is here.

Thanks!!!

CJ :)

Chapter 29 is great, CJ. We learn some more of Scar's plans. Vladimir's plans seem to be less than adequate.

This chapter even has an av-3412.jpg in it. Eric doesn't know when to stop.

That was great. The animals seem to show up quite frequently in this story. What is Eric going to capture next? Australia does have the largest bats in the world.

BTW, as a humorous aside, in the original draft (I only discovered it later) Chase had his left hand on Brandon't shoulder, his right hand running through Brandon's hair, and his other hand on Brandon's stomach. That would be three. OOps. :*)

I'm sure he was wishing he had three hands.

Great chapter :D

• Site Administrator
I'm dyslexic, so I'm very prone to typos (I'm also a rotten typist) resulting in look-alike words. Fortunately, I have an absolutely superb team, because I utterly stink at proofing my own work.

Sometimes, goofs do get through. But in that case, they are mine alone; I have a statement in the credits that any remaining errors are mine alone. And they are. :)

BTW, whenever anyone sees a goof in a chapter, I am very greatful if you point it out so I can fix it. Either public or private is fine.

For a none-GA story, in fact several, both completed novels and a big selection of short stories, I most highly recommend Graeme

His story site is here.

Thanks!!!

CJ :)

Well hopefully my whole post about principle and principal wasn't construed as pointing out an error. After all that was posted, and mentioned by you, your were right :2thumbs: .

More so, Graeme wanted a serious discussion before Silly Season kicked in (which usually doesn't start till the weekend), so I thought I would float my opinion of just how does Gunter really look at the guys. I believe he has more interest in their well being than his own professional reputation as a security guard for hire. Also that wording of that paragraph I thought could support my idea. I know CJ won't comment on my speculation, so we will have to wait to see if I'm in an alternate universe again :D .

Now another question for everyone. Joe made a appearance where he actually talked for the first time since what, the fourth or fifth chapter? Now in the previous chapter we had Gunter talk personally for the first time, and we were rewarded with a much more in depth look at him in this one. Will the same hold out for Joe in 30?

Now Phil asked Joe to either tell him his name or at least why he won't tell him his name. Joe replied:

I still believe that Joe knows a lot more about his dear 'ole dad than what we might think.

Earlier on, I had posted that I felt Joe knew about the skimming operation and I believe someone countered that I may have confused Gabe and Joe, and Joe didn't know anything. So I just did some looking and found this in chapter 8:

Nodding at their guest, Helen announced,

• Site Moderator

I think Phil will run across an old photo of Joe with Instinct. I think he will let Joe know that he knows who he is and won't say anything to anyone.

I said awhile back, that I thought Joe know about Jerry/Scar. He may not know the full plan, but he knows something.

I think Phil will run across an old photo of Joe with Instinct. I think he will let Joe know that he knows who he is and won't say anything to anyone.

I said awhile back, that I thought Joe know about Jerry/Scar. He may not know the full plan, but he knows something.

Perhaps Joe will be the hero in the end. If the pattern holds true, he will be. However, the goat is evil, so that may not be the case. :devil:

Perhaps Joe will be the hero in the end. If the pattern holds true, he will be. However, the goat is evil, so that may not be the case. :devil:

B) ............It wouldn't be the first time the goat pulls a bad guy hero on us.

Yes, someone finally had the guts to state out loud what I've been thinking all along. I hope this it what winds up happening. But now that the word is out the mean old goat will probably find some way to bring harm to Joe. :P

Also, how is Joe gonna get to these concerts? And what would happen if he did manage to show up? Can you imagine the anger, tension and outright hostility that would ensue? The former lead singer turned addict trying to capitalize on his former fame would be so pathetic. No, I like to think Tim is spot on accurate in his assessment of Joe's ultimate role.

Something else had been bugging me until now. The irritated encounter between Jerry and Gunter in Rome made me suspicious about something. Gunter bluntly interrupted J/S and became a fount of knowledge about history. J/S was clearly perturbed by this. I wasn't sure why exactly. One thought was the two of them were working together and J/S reacted in much the same way he does with Vladimir who is an employee. Now it seems maybe Gunter might be a spy for the good guys, trying to learn as much as he can about J/S's comings and going and trying to make sense of what some governmental agency might think they know about J/S's plans. Or perhaps these same agencies might have placed Gunter with the band as a way of trying to ensure their safety. Maybe both. Either way I think Gunter is a good guy now. I hope we get to "see" more of him.

As for Vladimir, I wrote long ago he was going to get caught. And now he has. Did he really think J/S or Dimitri were that dumb after all it took to put this operation together?

Regarding Wilde. Eric is constantly showing his good intentions despite being the bad boy of the band. I would now like to consider myself a full-fledged member of SPiCE.

CJ, all I can do is this: :worship:

Edited by GaryInMiami
Yes, someone finally had the guts to state out loud what I've been thinking all along. I hope this it what winds up happening. But now that the word is out the mean old goat will probably find some way to bring harm to Joe. :P

Also, how is Joe gonna get to these concerts? And what would happen if he did manage to show up? Can you imagine the anger, tension and outright hostility that would ensue? The former lead singer turned addict trying to capitalize on his former fame would be so pathetic. No, I like to think Tim is spot on accurate in his assessment of Joe's ultimate role.

Joe is definitely not a good guy. He is one that has been hated from the beginning just like Eric in FTL. I simply see the pattern. CJ may break away from the latter part of it, though he has already redeemed him a little bit. It's too early to tell. As I said before, CJ is evil. He is the Dark Lord after all. :ph34r:

Joe is definitely not a good guy. He is one that has been hated from the beginning just like Eric in FTL. I simply see the pattern. CJ may break away from the latter part of it, though he has already redeemed him a little bit. It's too early to tell. As I said before, CJ is evil. He is the Dark Lord after all. :ph34r:

B) ..........Yes, the goat has an evil motive, why else bring Joe back? (literally from the dead)....what possible purpose, as I've been hammering all along, does Joe still have?

B) ..........Yes, the goat has an evil motive, why else bring Joe back? (literally from the dead)....what possible purpose, as I've been hammering all along, does Joe still have?

That is the one difference I see so far. In FTL, Eric never really disappeared. He was there for most of the story. Is this foreshadowing? It might be. The goat is the ever-cryptic one. :wacko:

That is the one difference I see so far. In FTL, Eric never really disappeared. He was there for most of the story. Is this foreshadowing? It might be. The goat is the ever-cryptic one. :wacko:

B) .....The difference I see in FTL Eric was a badguy/hero, but only because it served his purpose, otherwise he was just a serial killer in the making. In LTMP, Joe is a bad singing homophobic druggie, who may have skimmed money from the band. Otherwise what evil did he do? He appears briefly early on in the story, is not seen for 20 or so chapters and then makes an "entrance" with an overdose. The evil goat revives him in a hospital so that we can all speculate motives.

• Site Administrator
Something else had been bugging me until now. The irritated encounter between Jerry and Gunter in Rome made me suspicious about something. Gunter bluntly interrupted J/S and became a fount of knowledge about history. J/S was clearly perturbed by this. I wasn't sure why exactly. One thought was the two of them were working together and J/S reacted in much the same way he does with Vladimir who is an employee. Now it seems maybe Gunter might be a spy for the good guys, trying to learn as much as he can about J/S's comings and going and trying to make sense of what some governmental agency might think they know about J/S's plans. Or perhaps these same agencies might have placed Gunter with the band as a way of trying to ensure their safety. Maybe both. Either way I think Gunter is a good guy now. I hope we get to "see" more of him.

When I look back at the encounter, I believe that J/S was actually having fun in his role of Jerry the homosexual. He was trying hard (maybe too hard) to impress the band and make them trust him even though Joe was his offspring, and definitely was a major pain in the a$ to everyone.

Also, now that we know that Jerry and The Scar are the same person, we have seen the Scar's lack of patience especially with Vladimir.

So we have Jerry trying to be all impressive, and all of a sudden a nobody in J/S's opinion seems to know as much or more than him. I believe a bit of his real personality slipped out. I guess another time he kinda slipped was at the resort when he kinda slamed the Range Rover's door in everyones face and didn't take the time to introduce Dimitri.

So, how did Gunter know such much about Rome is one question, which could be answered by him working for INTERPOL or the CIA. He would have the international experience most likely.

And even though we all understand that J/S is really just misunderstood :blink: , he does have a nasty habit of of losing patience fairly quickly. Oh well, he is only human after all.

Steve B)

Edited by wildone

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..