[Shadowgod] Dreams & Clipped Wings Ch. 3 Spreading Wings

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a wonderful chapter. I loved the EVIL cliffhanger. :D I wonder how Joe is going to react. I hope we don't have to wait a month to find out. Oh, and I am totally happy about the special guest appearance by

Valerie

! :worship:

That was a wonderful chapter. I loved the EVIL cliffhanger. :D I wonder how Joe is going to react. I hope we don't have to wait a month to find out. Oh, and I am totally happy about the special guest appearance by

Valerie

! :worship:

<_< ........Good 'ole Mom, how sweet of her to send Cody those scented letters, passing on his brothers love as well. Ah, a mothers love knows no boundaries! Is Cody slipping into old habits? Or is he being cash-driven? Great chapter Shadowgd!! Looking forward to the inquisition by Joe.

• Site Administrator

Most excellent chapter Steve :worship: .

Warning: Spoilers Below

I must have been :sleep: sound asleep when I started reading, cause it took a while for me to realize that Julie's friend

Valerie

was the one from LiS :o !

From what CJ had made me believe it would be someone evil like Catherine, Raul, or even

the horrible motorcycle.

I guess this is just confirmation that you are definitely not evil and he truly is the evil one. :P

As far as Cody taking off being old habits or cash driven, I certainly hope not. I don't get the feeling that it is cash driven, as no cash was discussed. I would say it is more a feeling of personal reckless abandon that he uses to compensate for the feelings of being loved that he obviously not getting from his family.

Kudos to Joe for apparently not wanting to give up on Cody by wanting him to share more than an apartment. :hug:

The one passage that really kind of amazed me, and always does, is how you can describe smells and how they evoke memories and emotions. By just the scent of the lavender, Cody thinking that his Mom was in the room was a very powerful message. It seemed to explain the feelings Cody had even so much more than if it was put simply that he stormed out angry from a letter from his mom.

There is a bunch more that I'd like to mention (and yes, this 1 chapter has a lot to discuss :P ), but I will leave off with that I'm really curious about Cody's attraction to Eric Carlisle. Maybe with some help of Bondwriter's agents with the goat, we might have a chance meeting of the two.

Hey, I can wish :lol:

Thanks again Steve

Steve B)

Most excellent chapter Steve :worship: .

Warning: Spoilers Below

I must have been :sleep: sound asleep when I started reading, cause it took a while for me to realize that Julie's friend

Valerie

was the one from LiS :o !

I knew it was her immediately. Don't feel bad. When I first started reading this story, I had forgotten what connection Cody had to LiS. <blushes>

Shadowgod, the way you string together words has always left me in awe. This chapter is no exception. I love the way you described Cody's reaction to the letter. Loved the way you described the 'puppy'. :lol:

This is one of the many reasons I love to read your work, Steve. You evoke a variety of emotions in the reader. Kudos! :worship:

BeaStKid :devil:

I loved this chapter...

Damon's ordering of the bagle turned out to be a very, very skillfully done character development. I've never seen better.

I also found Damon's friend Brandon intriguing; Clearly, Brandon knows Daemon is interested in guys, and seems totally supportive.

And yes, the interest in Eric Carlisle... Could that lead to... something? Only The Shadow knows.... :ph34r:

Now, let's get to the letter. AAAARRRGGHH!! I hereby predict that this letter will soon, and forever, be known as THE letter. Yes, it shall be infamous... And deservedly so!

ARGH! And the thourougly evil Cliffhangers. Yes, plural!

Cody is going off to engage in something very risky! And then there's the letter, he's cut off. That's a double-barreled cliffhanger!

And then there's Joe... That line about "do more than share an apartment" means what, exactly??? That's a cliffhanger too!

So, we therefor have at least three.

Cody's mother is an irredeemable cast-iron bitch! She even admits that some of the money is his to begin with! I think she might just be your most vile antagnoist yet... (and Catherin Harris is a tough act to beat).

It was great seeing Val again!!!! However, this sets up something veeeery interesting. Val knows about Cody via Jacob. However, she does not appear to be aware that this Cody (if they've even met) is Jacob's Cody. I predict fireworks when she finds out!

Will Cody start singing soprano!??!

ARGH! And the thourougly evil Cliffhangers. Yes, plural!

Cody is going off to engage in something very risky! And then there's the letter, he's cut off. That's a double-barreled cliffhanger!

And then there's Joe... That line about "do more than share an apartment" means what, exactly??? That's a cliffhanger too!

So, we therefor have at least three.

Maintaining your title will not be easy. We can add him to your short list of rivals. B)

• Site Administrator

My feeling on Cody is that the way he ran off and what he was doing is a symptom of his overall psychological problems. He's been rejected by his mother (and it seems like it's not the first time), so he not only rebels by doing what he knows she doesn't want him to do, but he is equally looking for some sort of love -- though he's too afraid of commitment (after what happened to Jacob) that he's gone looking for someone who he believes can't afford to become attached to him.

I'm also expecting his younger brother to figure out some way to return Cody's money to him. His brother tried to speak to him via IM -- that's not the action of someone who has rejected their big brother because he's gay. Cody is running the risk of alienating his brother, but I get the impression that his brother is too smart for that to be an easy job.

I also agree with CJ on the scene with Damon. We don't get a full picture of him because we only really see him in one situation (the hopelessly lost and confused infatuated and inexperienced young man), but we get a real feel for him in that environment. He's already stepped out of the pages as a non-trivial character. :worship: Well done, Steve!

Julie surprised me, but she's right in that a lot of high school relationships don't last. She's also very human in not knowing how to end a relationship....

My feeling on Cody is that the way he ran off and what he was doing is a symptom of his overall psychological problems. He's been rejected by his mother (and it seems like it's not the first time), so he not only rebels by doing what he knows she doesn't want him to do, but he is equally looking for some sort of love -- though he's too afraid of commitment (after what happened to Jacob) that he's gone looking for someone who he believes can't afford to become attached to him.

I'm also expecting his younger brother to figure out some way to return Cody's money to him. His brother tried to speak to him via IM -- that's not the action of someone who has rejected their big brother because he's gay. Cody is running the risk of alienating his brother, but I get the impression that his brother is too smart for that to be an easy job.

I also agree with CJ on the scene with Damon. We don't get a full picture of him because we only really see him in one situation (the hopelessly lost and confused infatuated and inexperienced young man), but we get a real feel for him in that environment. He's already stepped out of the pages as a non-trivial character. :worship: Well done, Steve!

Julie surprised me, but she's right in that a lot of high school relationships don't last. She's also very human in not knowing how to end a relationship....

Graeme raises excellent points; What was Benjamin trying to IM about??

My take on Cody is that Graeme is largely right; he's afraid of commitment, and tormented by guilt over his past actions. He has a low self-image as a result, and his mother's actions can only make things worse. Cody is tormented by a darkness...

I have a hunch that things will get worse before they get better.

Hi guys,

Joe is rapidly becoming my fav character. He's too cool. And... I don't know if I'm inagining things but on one side his relation with Julie going on the rocks (I feel it's two-sided) and on the other, the feelings we discovered in the last chap and re-seen in this one. Intriguing??

Damon and Brandon... I would like to see more of them, especially Damon. He's sweet and cute. But I can understand Cody. He's not the type of guy he needs right now. Perhaps, both of us are wrong...

I really like the way Steve portrays the characters. Very real!! I love it! :D

Take care,

Ieshwar

Hi guys,

Joe is rapidly becoming my fav character. He's too cool. And... I don't know if I'm inagining things but on one side his relation with Julie going on the rocks (I feel it's two-sided) and on the other, the feelings we discovered in the last chap and re-seen in this one. Intriguing??

Damon and Brandon... I would like to see more of them, especially Damon. He's sweet and cute. But I can understand Cody. He's not the type of guy he needs right now. Perhaps, both of us are wrong...

I really like the way Steve portrays the characters. Very real!! I love it! :D

Take care,

Ieshwar

Do not underestimate the powers of misdirection. You must not forget who's writing the story. ;)

An extraordinary chapter, Steve! :worship:

Your characterizations are superb. I have no difficulty seeing the amount of work that went into this chapter. :wub:

The sweet, albeit short, cross-pollination with CJ's story was just delightful. :D

Is there a pool party in this story? :P

Conner

• Site Administrator
My take on Cody is that Graeme is largely right; he's afraid of commitment, and tormented by guilt over his past actions. He has a low self-image as a result, and his mother's actions can only make things worse. Cody is tormented by a darkness...

I have a hunch that things will get worse before they get better.

If I were to hazard a guess, this darkness would be an unbearable shadow cast from a huge, ominous stuffed goats head that hangs on the wall of Cody's work place :lmao: , tormenting him day and night.

Was this what you were referring to CJ? :P

If I were to hazard a guess, this darkness would be an unbearable shadow cast from a huge, ominous stuffed goats head that hangs on the wall of Cody's work place :lmao: , tormenting him day and night.

Was this what you were referring to CJ? :P

I think the darkness is more likely internal conflict and turmoil. From personal experience, I can tell you that writing about such characters is quite fun. :D

I don't know, I get the feeling that Cody is tormented by his inner demons, or more specifically some dark deity. 0:)

Seriously though, Cody has some definite real issues. He isn't seeing a phrink for the fun of it. He also displays plenty of signs of inner damage. Here's my guess; its a combination of self-loathing (made clear in the convo with the phrink in Ch 1) that he is angry for himself for not standing up for Jacob.

The second factor is his mother; having someone like that as a parent can leave a kid an emotional wreck. Cody has major defensive

traits AND self-destructive traits (the "date" he's on, for one) he keeps everyone out and away. I think he's got a long way to go. My hunch is that this now-infamous letter will be the trigger of a chain of events that demonstrate these problems all too well.

I don't know, I get the feeling that Cody is tormented by his inner demons, or more specifically some dark deity. 0:)

Seriously though, Cody has some definite real issues. He isn't seeing a phrink for the fun of it. He also displays plenty of signs of inner damage. Here's my guess; its a combination of self-loathing (made clear in the convo with the phrink in Ch 1) that he is angry for himself for not standing up for Jacob.

The second factor is his mother; having someone like that as a parent can leave a kid an emotional wreck. Cody has major defensive

traits AND self-destructive traits (the "date" he's on, for one) he keeps everyone out and away. I think he's got a long way to go. My hunch is that this now-infamous letter will be the trigger of a chain of events that demonstrate these problems all too well.

I agree, but who is the dark deity? Are you giving Shadowgod evil advice again? :lmao:

Yes, he definitely has some problems. That was apparent as far back as LiS. The letter is probably going to be a source of tension between Cody and Joe. If Joe happens to be a homophobe, it could be really disdainful for the two to share an apartment. If that is not the case, Joe is still going to be mad at him for not confiding in him about his sexuality. Okay, I'm ready for Chapter 4. :P

I agree, but who is the dark deity? Are you giving Shadowgod evil advice again? :lmao:

Yes, he definitely has some problems. That was apparent as far back as LiS. The letter is probably going to be a source of tension between Cody and Joe. If Joe happens to be a homophobe, it could be really disdainful for the two to share an apartment. If that is not the case, Joe is still going to be mad at him for not confiding in him about his sexuality. Okay, I'm ready for Chapter 4. :P

*Cough* :P

You might want to re-read Ch 1 and 2... Joe knows about Cody. Cody never explicitly told him, but, Joe figured it out by piecing together subtle clues, like seeing Cody date only guys. Joe knew about Jonathon, for example. :)

*Cough* :P

You might want to re-read Ch 1 and 2... Joe knows about Cody. Cody never explicitly told him, but, Joe figured it out by piecing together subtle clues, like seeing Cody date only guys. Joe knew about Jonathon, for example. :)

I was going to do so but never got around to it. :P It's been a little over a month. I wish I could remember every single detail like that, but I cannot. :P

I was going to do so but never got around to it. :P It's been a little over a month. I wish I could remember every single detail like that, but I cannot. :P

Wait until you're 57! You won't remember shit. :P When I do remember details, they're usually from a different story. :wacko:

With Steve's stories, though, I never mind going back to re-read previous chapters. Mind you, it's early yet in this story, details can take a while to settle in.

With CJ's stories, I just remember the pool parties. :P

Conner

Wait until you're 57! You won't remember shit. :P When I do remember details, they're usually from a different story. :wacko:

With Steve's stories, though, I never mind going back to re-read previous chapters. Mind you, it's early yet in this story, details can take a while to settle in.

With CJ's stories, I just remember the pool parties. :P

Conner

CJ's stories have the best pool parties. I don't even want to think of being 57. I'm not even half-way there yet. :wacko: As for re-reading, I actually intend to re-read LiS in the near future. It's among my favorites. :wub:

Something is bothering me... Okay, we have Cody out, engaged in some truly risky behavior... BUT, what about further down the line; Cody is in college; will he even stay in the area now that he's lost his funds? Can he make ends meet ob his own?

What happens to Cody? Anyone have any ideas?

• Site Administrator
BUT, what about further down the line; Cody is in college; will he even stay in the area now that he's lost his funds?

Pardon, but I didn't think Cody was in college. Julie is in college, Joe went to SF to join her, and HE asked Cody to come along (see chapter 2).

So, Julie is the reason Cody and Joe are in San Francisco -- not Cody going to college. He may have planned on going to college in the future, but he hadn't so far and his mother has now cut off that option.

Hmm... Cody should be over eighteen. I wonder what the legal situation is with that money he contributed to his college fund. Is it legally his, and his parents can't take it off him?