[Duncan Ryder] How the Light Gets In Chapter 2

Since nobody's commented yet, I will. Great chapter! I love how you learn more about Matt, and I just know there's more to the story, but the way you've set it up, there are so many more open questions. Did something happen to Matt that forced him to flee to Banff? Or was the Banff job just an interlude but something happened there that caused him to leave abruptly and go to Whistler? Why did he stop school and what led him to come back? I don't know, but I'm very intrigued.

I also liked the development between Scott and Luc. I think Scott is doing a great thing by trying to help, but I worry that the roommate setup could be disastrous for both Luc and Matt. Both obviously have their own demons, and it's hard to say whether they'll help one another or hurt each other deeply. Also, I'm betting that Luc will feel angry that Scott is fostering him off on someone else rather than helping him himself.

All that to say, your writing just keeps getting better. Can't wait to read more!

Since nobody's commented yet, I will. Great chapter! I love how you learn more about Matt, and I just know there's more to the story, but the way you've set it up, there are so many more open questions. Did something happen to Matt that forced him to flee to Banff? Or was the Banff job just an interlude but something happened there that caused him to leave abruptly and go to Whistler? Why did he stop school and what led him to come back? I don't know, but I'm very intrigued.

I also liked the development between Scott and Luc. I think Scott is doing a great thing by trying to help, but I worry that the roommate setup could be disastrous for both Luc and Matt. Both obviously have their own demons, and it's hard to say whether they'll help one another or hurt each other deeply. Also, I'm betting that Luc will feel angry that Scott is fostering him off on someone else rather than helping him himself.

All that to say, your writing just keeps getting better. Can't wait to read more!

what she said! ;)

the emotions are so raw in these chapters that I'm having difficulties making comments. I just see clips...

Matt's eyes tearing up in the dining hall, Josh's apprehension at Scott's solution, Luc's misplaced hopefulness

... *sigh* everybody's still wounded! although, the title of this story makes me hopeful. only negative I see is that these chapters seem to be moving painfully slow! personally, I don't do well with setup chapters. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
I admit to re-reading all of Everybody's Wounded and the first two chapters of HTLGI twice already, while waiting for chapter 3. Any news on when we can expect an update?

Sorry.... Really. It's mostly kinda written, I've just been nuts busy and it has been impossible to get the block of hours I need to calm my mind and finish it and smooth it out... But I'm working on it RIGHT NOW... I'm hoping to finish it this weekend.

duncan.

Sorry.... Really. It's mostly kinda written, I've just been nuts busy and it has been impossible to get the block of hours I need to calm my mind and finish it and smooth it out... But I'm working on it RIGHT NOW... I'm hoping to finish it this weekend.

duncan.

Hey take your time. Gabriel posted the next chapter of Panhead so I'm good. :P

Hey, I didn't mean that to come out as a guilt trip. I really just meant to compliment you on your writing and to tell you that you have me completely hooked.

Mind you, seeing as how the guilt trip seems to have worked... *Smirk*

Thanks for the reply - and looking forward to the next installment.

Hey, I didn't mean that to come out as a guilt trip. I really just meant to compliment you on your writing and to tell you that you have me completely hooked.

Mind you, seeing as how the guilt trip seems to have worked... *Smirk*

Thanks for the reply - and looking forward to the next installment.

Well, sometimes I need a guilt trip, lol. Or just to know that someone out there actually cares if I keep going!!!

Meh, now you're just fishing for compliments... ;)

Nah, I never believe 'em anyway... Just a flash of brutal honestly and about my lack of inner direction and fortititude....

actually I'm just avoiding writing.... I've got Matt in a corner so to speak...trying to get him out of it....

Nah, I never believe 'em anyway... Just a flash of brutal honestly and about my lack of inner direction and fortititude....

actually I'm just avoiding writing.... I've got Matt in a corner so to speak...trying to get him out of it....

Matt will come out of his corner when you least expect it. Characters are tricky sometimes. I'd say just write when you're ready.

Us readers will still be here, waiting. Some patiently, others impatiently. :D

Matt will come out of his corner when you least expect it. Characters are tricky sometimes. I'd say just write when you're ready.

Us readers will still be here, waiting. Some patiently, others impatiently. :D

Mmhmm But always reading, no matter how long it takes, because honestly just one chapter is worth the wait you put us though, Just don't make a habbit out of it or i'll have to send my Racoon buddies after you. :D

-Mike

Mmhmm But always reading, no matter how long it takes, because honestly just one chapter is worth the wait you put us though, Just don't make a habbit out of it or i'll have to send my Racoon buddies after you. :D

-Mike

For certain authors and specific stories, readers are willing to wait. It takes more effort to remember the story and perhaps reread the chapters over again, but for you and what you write, it's worth it. Sorta like another Dom. That's the highest of compliments.

It's definitely quality of over quantity. I'd take slow updates of a great story versus quick updates on a mediocre one. I think most readers would agree.

But you know, you have been warned. Although I don't know how dangerous raccoons can be...maybe in large packs?

For certain authors and specific stories, readers are willing to wait. It takes more effort to remember the story and perhaps reread the chapters over again, but for you and what you write, it's worth it. Sorta like another Dom. That's the highest of compliments.

It's definitely quality of over quantity. I'd take slow updates of a great story versus quick updates on a mediocre one. I think most readers would agree.

But you know, you have been warned. Although I don't know how dangerous raccoons can be...maybe in large packs?

Ok. You've done your job. Reminded me that MY job is just to show up at the page and to be as true as I can to the story in my head.

So I just finished chapter 3, and sent it to Gabriel. So you can go bug HIM for awhile, lol.

Seriously. It's done. It'll be up soon! 0:)

Thanks very much.

I have a healthy fear of raccoons. Really. I have some living under my back deck right now....

-Mike

:*)

Thanks.

And I think you already have. They're living under my back deck. I just sent chapter 3 to Gabriel and it will be up soon. PLEASE call off your raccoon buddies. They really make me nervous!

I'd have to say I agree, you're worth the wait (but people, is Dom ever coming back?). And it's nice to see that someone dares threaten you--and if you've ever come upon a raccoon in an empty dumpster after dark, you know they don't kid around.

I couldn't help but notice you reply quite reg'lar here. We'll always know where to find you. :-)

Tracy

I'm surprised at all the comparisons to Dom Luka. I mean, I'm big fans of both Dom and Duncan (and it's a shame Dom seems to be indefinitely on hiatus) but to me, their writing styles are very, very different. Duncan's writing is almost like poetry: mature, detailed, with emotion packed into every word. It's a real pleasure to read. Oh, and we can't forget, extremely erotic.

Anyway, Duncan, if the raccoons don't draw out the next chapter, I could always sic a few skunks on you. :P

Edited by hotchikk
I'm surprised at all the comparisons to Dom Luka. I mean, I'm big fans of both Dom and Duncan (and it's a shame Dom seems to be indefinitely on hiatus) but to me, their writing styles are very, very different. Duncan's writing is almost like poetry: mature, detailed, with emotion packed into every word. It's a real pleasure to read. Oh, and we can't forget, extremely erotic.

Anyway, Duncan, if the raccoons don't draw out the next chapter, I could always sic a few skunks on you. :P

You're right that Dom's and Duncan's styles are very different. I was drawn into Duncan's writing because it was very deep and poetic and emotional and so real. It's artistic in nature, definitely. Dom has a more narrative and storytelling nature, and is a bit more laid back and geared towards a younger audience. The similarity is that they're both amazing authors. Period.

SKUNKS!?! Dear Lord, let's get those chapters out faster! *pinches nose*

I find the the portrayal of Josh in HTLGI shows a much more "wounded" individual than he seemed in EW.

Is it because Josh will be a significant individual in this sequel as opposed to just a "love interest" for Scott?

But so far, Josh is still described in the context of his relationship with Scott - not very different from EW.

Josh's fragility just doesn't match the functional person I saw in EW.

What do others think,eh?

I find the the portrayal of Josh in HTLGI shows a much more "wounded" individual than he seemed in EW.

Is it because Josh will be a significant individual in this sequel as opposed to just a "love interest" for Scott?

But so far, Josh is still described in the context of his relationship with Scott - not very different from EW.

What do others think,eh?

I think Josh's woundedness was always lurking in the background in EW. Scott just didn't know all the details. Now that Light is in the 3rd person, we get to see more of what's in Josh's head.

What do others think,eh?

Can I comment <G>? Without giving anything away, promise.

I, of course, am the keeper of the back stories. I have known all about Josh for a long, long time...(and all about Matt as well, of course,) and have always thought of Josh as the most profoundly wounded character in the story. I did my best to show that in EW, (where near the end Scott actaully describes Josh as his strong but deeply wounded lover) but one reason why I broke the story where I did was because I couldn't do justice to Josh while staying in Scott's first person p of v. Luc is wounded and fragile. Josh is something else.