[dkstories] Dreams of A Father

Interesting chapter.. Paul is turning out to be a very interesting character!

Very interesting indeed. We're seeing a side of some in the kingdom that isn't quite what I expected. It appears additional foundation is being laid (through Paul's experiences) for a good relationship between some in the Republic and some in the Kingdom.

I also wonder if something is going to happen between Garrett & Scott. It sounds like Garrett's gaydar was pinging a little toward Scott (or maybe that was just wishdar). Being in the kingdom, I assume that homosexuality is frowned upon, so Scott might be a tough nut to crack.

Thanks for the Saturday AM fix, I was worried when it wasn't up on Friday :wacko: (I checked at least 20 times :P ).

Edited by NaperVic
  • Site Moderator

I have to agree, Vic. I think we are starting to find out more about The Kingdom. We know that the hierarchy of government control mirrors that of the church. And given the parallels, I would have to say that homosexuality has moved back into the closet. Of course this is only assumption since we haven't heard any of the governments views on it.

• Site Administrator

Thanks Dan for another great chapter :great: .

After the last chapter I commented that it may be a while before Garret gets his chance to go to Earth. I'm wondering if this journey he is about to embark on is just a regular trade mission, or if he is making his way to his son now.

I really liked the longer glimpse into what is going on in Paul's life. If anything, it appears that Paul is now getting more specialized treatment than Frederick.

This has me worried.

After the scene with the Bishop and the other boys, I get the feeling that Paul is slowly becoming a believer in the Creator and his directions to the Prophet to spread the word to the galaxy. I figured that Frederick would be a easy mind to mould and probably resist rescue from Garret much like how a member of a cult would resist families' attempts to rescue them. But is Paul on the path of being brainwashed now?

On a side note, and hopefully I don't offend anyone, in Dan's fictional universe it appears that the worlds three major religions, Christianity, Jewish, and Muslim have all merged together and have equal weight in representation in the new Church. It stirs up feelings that what the world would be like if all the religions realized that they all believe in a higher being, but just have different names and ways to believe in him/her. I have always thought this could be a way of world peace, but in this context it makes me wonder if more damage could be done than good.

Thanks for making this an internal debate on theology Dan :2thumbs: .

Steve B)

Edited by wildone
  • Site Moderator
I really liked the longer glimpse into what is going on in Paul's life. If anything, it appears that Paul is now getting more specialized treatment than Frederick.

Earlier, his treatment was due being a clone and not having a soul. They have rethought that now deciding that since his mother was human, that he has a soul.

I think in the long run, it will help him with what he does in the future. He still his fathers son.

Great chapter. I'm also not quite sure what the church's intentions are for Paul. If the change in Paul's situation actually comes from the church's leadership and not another person or faction within. At the moment we only know, that the prophet supposedly had a vision and granted Paul the right to have a soul. Having the effect that he's not entirely an outcast, comes out of hiding and gets some social contacts.

As mentioned before this could be a scheme to inculcate Paul with the beliefs and values of the kingdom, converting him to one of them. But form the glimpses of Paul's persona I don't think that he's so easy to influence.

Another possibility is that Bishop Florelli actually work's against the current leadership, in an long-term project. It's a classic theme, that you'll use teacher and tutors in key positions to subvert the powers that be through the brightest of it's youth and/or successors of important positions. In an oppressive environment it's often enough to give such youths a facility, where their spirits can reign somewhat free, to win them for you.

There's only the question where exactly Paul fits into that idea.

Off to another topic. In a former thread I asked if it's possible to hide the capabilities of Henry (the AI on Garret's ship). In the net to last chapter I got the impression that they were able to fool the earthers, that the AI is somewhat basic, only capable of on doing what it has been told in detail.

With the foreign crew on board the situation is likely, that at some point Henry will show his true power, acting against the crew to follow Garrets agenda. I guess he should be able to act on himself for quite a while until he could be incapacitated through sabotaging the ships systems. I think most vulnerable should be the drones and bots used for maintenance.

I guess there's no fight drone or internal defensive systems, as in CPL's falcon banner. Doesn't exactly fit into Dreams. ;)

As always I'm anxious for the next installment.

Daniel

Edited by TheDaniel
Thanks Dan for another great chapter :great: .

After the last chapter I commented that it may be a while before Garret gets his chance to go to Earth. I'm wondering if this journey he is about to embark on is just a regular trade mission, or if he is making his way to his son now.

This has me worried.

After the scene with the Bishop and the other boys, I get the feeling that Paul is slowly becoming a believer in the Creator and his directions to the Prophet to spread the word to the galaxy. I figured that Frederick would be a easy mind to mould and probably resist rescue from Garret much like how a member of a cult would resist families' attempts to rescue them. But is Paul on the path of being brainwashed now?

It's interesting how you equate Paul's possible conversion with being brainwashed. Paul's a smart kid. Even if he's only four. Just because he sees the possible good side of Jordanism, doesn't necessarily mean he's being brainwashed.

• Site Moderator

Even though we don't know how much time has passed, I think that Garret is about to make his first trade run. I didn't see any indication that he's had other runs.

I wonder how many of the grew actually know that there is an AI installed on the ship. I'm sure the first mate knows, considering who he's related to. In not, the Garret will have to be care not to talk out loud to Henry like he did Aida.

• Site Administrator
It's interesting how you equate Paul's possible conversion with being brainwashed. Paul's a smart kid. Even if he's only four. Just because he sees the possible good side of Jordanism, doesn't necessarily mean he's being brainwashed.

I guess I always thought of taking someones belief system and re-educating them to no longer believe in that system while teaching them that your system is right and the only way to be brainwashing.

So don't ask me my opinion of missionaries for churches :P

Okay, I'll admit, brainwash was a bit harsh ;)

I wonder how many of the grew actually know that there is an AI installed on the ship. I'm sure the first mate knows, considering who he's related to. In not, the Garret will have to be care not to talk out loud to Henry like he did Aida.

:blink: That's something that I didn't even consider. The crew, or most of it, not knowing of the AI. Might be possible and interesting.