[Topher_Lydon] Book RELEASE

Woo Hoo!

Got it! Thanks Topher...I guess I know what I'll be doing today! Here I thought it was going to be a dead day!

BTW, the model for the cover is hot! Too bad the book cover piccy doesn't show in the PDF version. Hmmm, is this a ploy to get me to buy both? :lol:

It might just be a merry Christmas after all! :worship:

Kadin

I've been waiting for this for a long time!! Yay :-)

And I was supposed to be writing papers and studying for exams over christmas...hahaha!

Clearly I need to re-read everything to prepare myself for Book V!

Thanks Topher!

shhh don't tell them that, they'll slaughter me!

Oh no... Don't think that you get out of this that easy. :DB) We'll tie you down at the writing table :devil: with bread and water :chris: only until the series is finished... seven... eight... nine whatever the count ends to.

In the mean time we will love you endlessly :hug::wub:0:)

One question only

Why on the start of the week. It'll be hell finding time for sleep and work :,( :wacko:

feedback?

So far so good. I sent you a few PM's over Lulu about some grammatical mistakes and such.

I'm only about 70% through the book, but I'll post my own review here when I'm done. :)

I also noticed a few things that don't quite make sense.

** SPOILER WARNING **

For example: the planet Rikard, Galadriel, Cornelius, and Alvin (and Lady Tagria *wink wink*) are trapped on...it's mentioned that there are no stars visible in the sky. But when they escape the planet, they manage to jump into "normal" space. The way I understand space travel is that stars (and thus constellations) are used as reference points when you're in an unknown area of space. So if they didn't have any stars or constellations to use as references and they did not know where they were in the universe, how did they manage to jump away and back into normal space? Also, I thought blind jumps were in essence suicidal since you wouldn't know if you'd end up inside a sun or a planet or some other thing in space?

Feel free to correct me if I made a mistake somewhere as I've confused different series of books with each other before.

Edited by intelboy15

Topher-san;

First off, let me say I enjoyed the story a great deal. There were the odd grammatical issues here and there but, as a general rule, I was able to figure out what you meant without any real problems. I lost count of the number of new sub-plots introduced. Having done a bit of writing in the fantasy space, I can only congratulate you on how well you manage to juggle the cast of thousands and numerous story lines you have woven together here.

*************************SPOILER ALERT*************************

General comments:

Not wanting to leave huge spoilers for those who have yet to read The Fifth Column, I'll just say that, based on the title, I had expectations we'd see more of the resistance movement in this installment of the story. I liked what you did, but thought we'd see more of that type of thing.

I have to say that the big IE is a bit slow on the uptake on occasion. I made the connection between the great mushroom in the sky and the object of Warlord Taine's search when you took us there in a previous volume. Still, it's nice to have one's logical leaps confirmed!

I love the way you handled the development of the Duncan character: it explains the chronic knee pain he's experiencing and his warfighting abilities. I must admit that the Ben character was a bit of a shock. I didn't see the twist near the end of the book coming at all.

The twist involving Xanatos and Kyr was major surprise. I suspect that will lead to something good happening for our beleaguered hero's, whose enemies multiply by the moment, and whose options dwindle as quickly. I think I see where you are heading with the Callie/Lex sub-plot, but I'll wait to be amazed in the next volume.

I only have two complaints, one of which I'm sure you've anticipated. I was expecting the series to end with "The Fifth Column". As a result, while there is action aplenty in the story, it doesn't seem that the story has advanced all that far. The second point is simply that, as an American English monoglot, I must confess that I can't read the Russian language, and really doubt many of your readers do either. While the use of the Cyrillic alphabet adds authenticity, it does nothing to explain what the characters are saying to each other. I can work my way through some of the romance languages since they all are Latin based, but have no experience or way of understanding comments in another language unless they are explained either as direct translation or via some internal monologue. Other readers may agree or disagree, but that's my feedback on the subject.

This brings up one other thing that I struggled with. In Queen of Ice, you mentioned that Geldan VII was founded by a joint Scottish/German effort, that was later augmented by the Kaynin. Where did the Russian presence and apparent dominance evident in The Fifth Column come from? I did catch the reference to the house of Chow trading for a world in the same part of the universe as Geldan, but assumed that presence would have been largely Chinese, even though the Russian's were co-opted into the house of Chow in Queen of Ice. I guess that a bit more explanation would have helped on that point.

Overall, an impressive, sweeping story with real and engaging characters. I was even beginning to like Rikard...just a very little bit. Galadriel does a nice job of humanizing him. Who'd have thought it: the great evil one in love. Finally, the cliffhanger on the last page will keep me checking back often for The Black Prince .

Best Regards;

Kadin

Good thinking (and observations) there Kadin. I had most of the same conclusions.

I loved the transitional effect of Duncan into Alexander R. Vongrippen. Too bad he looks like Prince Edward/Matthew Elias. :lol: Sadly, I had hoped that Ben was for real rather than an illusioin created by IE 2.0.

Now that I've finished The Fifth Column, I eagarly await The Black Prince. I really hope Rikard doesn't die...would be a major blow to Galadriel and basically screw over everyone (and maybe Edward/Matthew) on Peligia.

I take it is too soon to ask for hints on whether or not Rikard turns "evil" again in The Black Prince?

Edited by intelboy15
Good thinking (and observations) there Kadin. I had most of the same conclusions.

I loved the transitional effect of Duncan into Alexander R. Vongrippen. Too bad he looks like Prince Edward/Matthew Elias. :lol: Sadly, I had hoped that Ben was for real rather than an illusioin created by IE 2.0.

Now that I've finished The Fifth Column, I eagarly await The Black Prince. I really hope Rikard doesn't die...would be a major blow to Galadriel and basically screw over everyone (and maybe Edward/Matthew) on Peligia.

I take it is too soon to ask for hints on whether or not Rikard turns "evil" again in The Black Prince?

He'd have a conniption at anyone implying he was anything but True Evil. And despite haivng to work with the good guys, I am fairly certain that he was still 100% bad while doing it.

He'd have a conniption at anyone implying he was anything but True Evil. And despite haivng to work with the good guys, I am fairly certain that he was still 100% bad while doing it.

:( Oh...I was hoping that glimmer that Galadriel saw in Rikard would be more than a faint hope of the heart.

Oh well, at least I can look forward to Alexander Vongrippen in action (no...not that kind of action...hehe) as he commands the Imperial fleet again to crush the Amsus (and their stubborn AI overmind) back into the pre-Stone Age. :lol:

Edited by intelboy15
:( Oh...I was hoping that glimmer that Galadriel saw in Rikard would be more than a faint hope of the heart.

Oh well, at least I can look forward to Alexander Vongrippen in action (no...not that kind of action...hehe) as he commands the Imperial fleet again to crush the Amsus (and their stubborn AI overmind) back into the pre-Stone Age. :lol:

LOL I am getting a lot of fan mail to that effect. Seems that a lot of people are happy that someone is finally going to take it to the Amsus. Seems Darien's avoidance policy wasn't direct enough.

LOL I am getting a lot of fan mail to that effect. Seems that a lot of people are happy that someone is finally going to take it to the Amsus. Seems Darien's avoidance policy wasn't direct enough.

Oh I wanted to ask you this: was it Sepharon's (can't remember her name spelling) intent to have Duncan try to humanize and bring some evil to the public image of Prince Edward?

I understand why Darien needed to avoid the Amsus. Without the Excalibur, he really can't go after the Amsus anyways. I just wish he wasn't dying from what seems to be Parkinson's Disease.

Edited by intelboy15

I suspect we're going to see a reincarnated Callie/Lex AI in the next volume in one of two possible roles.

Not wanting to spoil it for others, I'll keep my direct speculation to myself, but lets just say I wouldn't write Callie/Lex off just yet. I suspect they have an integral role to play in kicking the Amsus' pasty white maggoty behinds back to their little insect hives once and for all.

Kadin

I suspect we're going to see a reincarnated Callie/Lex AI in the next volume in one of two possible roles.

Not wanting to spoil it for others, I'll keep my direct speculation to myself, but lets just say I wouldn't write Callie/Lex off just yet. I suspect they have an integral role to play in kicking the Amsus' pasty white maggoty behinds back to their little insect hives once and for all.

Kadin

Just hope the(ir) new(born) AI doesn't turn evil.

• 2 weeks later...

Whew! My head is spinning! There's so much going on in this book...I almost have to take notes to keep track of all the players. I found it to be exciting...in a fast paced kind of confusing sort of way.

I think I'm going to have to go back and reread some just to try and wrap my head around whats going on up to this point. The problem is me, not the book(s). I'm a little slow on the uptake ('cause I'm so old :o )) and I confuse easily. Okay, that sounded pretty lame, but I'm going to reread them anyway. The one thing that seems to be missing is the humor you inject every so often to give us a little breathing space, I loved that, because it helps me believe that as bad as things seem to be there is hope if you can laugh in the face of all the adversity. The other thing I missed is the love element. I didn't feel any in this book and I think it is important to have it there. Call me a hopeless romantic or whatever, but it's important to me. You write the humor and the love very well CPL, and I hope you'll put some of it back.

Well, enough said. This is a great series and I can't wait for "The Black Prince" to come out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

In Queen of Ice, you mentioned that Geldan VII was founded by a joint Scottish/German effort, that was later augmented by the Kaynin.

Queen of Ice has a number of, well I call them 'errors in its timelines,' as compared to what is described in the first three books. Also, in case no one else noticed, "The Peligian Heresy" was the working title for book 3, which then was released as The Lion's Pride. ph34r.gif Kind of makes me wonder if TPH is going to show up as another prequel like the QoI is?

The entire TFB series is an immense work and how CPL manages to remember which planet he is writing on, let alone where everything is in the story, I'll never know.