American Differences

It will be interesting to see what happens in school, especially with Max. Maybe he'll come around, maybe he won't. I didn't think Connor would be much of a problem. If I remember correctly, you had mentioned his parents before. The tragic thing is, it's Josh who stands the greatest chance of being hurt the most. If Matt's parents wind up kicking him out, they run the risk of losing both son's.

Josh is the greatest worry for Matt at the moment. While he could manage at Jamie's house for the time being, he doesn't want his brother to go through any stress or trouble. And given Josh's age, this whole ordeal is affecting him deeply.

If they do end up kicking Matt out, and Josh leaves with him, where would they go? I'm sure Jamie's family would take them in, but how long would that last? Matt's parents need to face reality and deal with it. I just hope it happens soon.

Heya!

I hope you all enjoyed Chapter 9 of American Differences.

Take care,

Emulated

B) ...........Dude!, (and I don't say that lightly) that was an awesome chapter you wrote. The confrontation Matt had with his parents was a brilliant move on your part, having Matt display the pictures of himself as he was growing up was great. It forced his parents to see him as he is, not the now revealed 'new' side of him. The parents will come around! Now Max is a different story (every time I hear the name Max, I can only think of the Mad Max movies!) so I can only flip a coin on what his decision will be, my guess is that he will not 'out' them, but will fume about for awhile. He might come to terms, but not life is a cherry!! Looking forward to the next chapter!! Thanks!

• Site Moderator
B) Now Max is a different story (every time I hear the name Max, I can only think of the Mad Max movies!) so I can only flip a coin on what his decision will be, my guess is that he will not 'out' them, but will fume about for awhile. He might come to terms, but not life is a cherry!! Looking forward to the next chapter!! Thanks!

I'm thinking that Max may be ok with it and that he's probably mad because Matt did not tell him. If that's the case, then he's reacting out of shock at find Matt and Jamie in the position they were in.

B) ...........Dude!, (and I don't say that lightly) that was an awesome chapter you wrote. The confrontation Matt had with his parents was a brilliant move on your part, having Matt display the pictures of himself as he was growing up was great. It forced his parents to see him as he is, not the now revealed 'new' side of him. The parents will come around! Now Max is a different story (every time I hear the name Max, I can only think of the Mad Max movies!) so I can only flip a coin on what his decision will be, my guess is that he will not 'out' them, but will fume about for awhile. He might come to terms, but not life is a cherry!! Looking forward to the next chapter!! Thanks!

:wub: Awww thanks, Benji! I'm pleased you enjoyed this chapter.

I really liked that scene in the lounge. It wasn't overly dramatic but it made the message clear, that Matt was still the same person that he had always been. Now his parents have stated that they need time, but the question on everyone's mind is, how much time do they need? The family is beginning to fall apart, with Matt out the house and Josh unable to handle the situation. They need to act soon, before it's too late.

Hehehe, Mad Max. I know what you mean though. He could turn any way at the moment as we simply don't know how he's reacting to this. (Aside from avoiding Connor). The next chapter should give us some more insight into his current state of mind.

I hope you enjoy it!

I'm thinking that Max may be ok with it and that he's probably mad because Matt did not tell him. If that's the case, then he's reacting out of shock at find Matt and Jamie in the position they were in.

Again, it's entirely possible that it was indeed shock which resulted in his reaction. When they return to school and interact around him, then we'll see how he feels.

There's nothing to stop Josh to go stay with Matt at Jamie's place.

All the permission he needs is to say he's gay too (joke)

Then the parents will be all alone.

You're lucky you didn't introduce the bad economic times into the story.

It be hard enough just to juggle being gay issue.

There's nothing to stop Josh to go stay with Matt at Jamie's place.

All the permission he needs is to say he's gay too (joke)

Then the parents will be all alone.

You're lucky you didn't introduce the bad economic times into the story.

It be hard enough just to juggle being gay issue.

While there may not be anything to stop him from moving over, (if Jamie's parents invited him), I doubt that it would help sort out the situation with his own parents. They would be avoiding the situation, rather than dealing, or learning to deal with it.

Who said that Josh was straight? Hmm?

Hehehe, both families are quite comfortable financially and have secure jobs, so the crisis isn't going to affect them adversely.

At this point, we don't know about Josh. All I know is, he loves his big brother and that is how he see's him, as his brother.

B) .........Sadly, that is the way it should be, until some one in power influences his ideas or perceived ideals of right and wrong!

At this point, we don't know about Josh. All I know is, he loves his big brother and that is how he see's him, as his brother.

You're right, that's all that Josh see's in Matt. He hasn't mentioned his sexuality as of yet, all he wants is his brother to come home again.

B) .........Sadly, that is the way it should be, until some one in power influences his ideas or perceived ideals of right and wrong!

I think it would take quite a lot to make Josh see his brother in another light, and even then I doubt that he'd completely ignore/not love him any more.

I don't think that Matt's parents would try to turn Josh against him, mainly because they're too busy trying to deal with their own ideals/beliefs on the topic. They also have to realise that while Josh is still 12, he's starting to make his own decisions and beginning to lead his own life.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Moderator

At least the meeting between Matt and Max didn't turn into a knock down, drag out situation but a somewhat heated discussion. It may take awhile, but I think he will come around.

I can also see Con's parents offering to talk to Matt's parents, if he comes out to them and tells them whats going on.

At least the meeting between Matt and Max didn't turn into a knock down, drag out situation but a somewhat heated discussion. It may take awhile, but I think he will come around.

I can also see Con's parents offering to talk to Matt's parents, if he comes out to them and tells them whats going on.

Max has a lot of internal conflict going on at the moment, he has always thought of Matt as his friend, but when he caught him kissing another boy, he began to question that friendship.

As per the chapter's title: Time. I think it's going to take time for everyone involved.

Getting help from Connors parents would be quite a smart move on Matt's behalf. Given their attitude, he shouldn't have any problem telling them, and hopefully they would be able to help him out at home.

Max has a lot of internal conflict going on at the moment, he has always thought of Matt as his friend, but when he caught him kissing another boy, he began to question that friendship.

I can totally understand that. My best friend and I have known each other all our lives. Our mothers met at a baby clinic and became good friends, so we grew up together. We had been through a hell of a lot and knew each other better than we knew anyone else.

And there laid the problem, when I started questioning my sexuality I told no one, I couldn't, I was too scared. When I finally sorted my head out I still didn't tell anyone I knew because I wasn't sure how they would react.

In truth, the only reaction I cared anything about was my best friend and I knew that he would be the hardest person to tell. I knew that he wasn't homophobic as such, and if we weren't as close as we were I don't think he would have cared one jot, that he had a gay mate.

I didn't plan on telling him the evening that I did. It just happened. We were around his new house that he had just bought with his girlfriend (now his wife) and he wanted to know why I was pretending to be oblivious to the blatant hints a girl we both knew was giving me that she was interested.

Long story short, I told him why I wasn't interested. I'll never forget the look of hurt in his eyes as I told him that I was gay. We spoke about it throughout most of the night and into the early hours.

His reaction was as I expected. He couldn't believe that I had kept something like that from him for all those years. He knew I knew everything about him and suddenly he felt that he didn't know me at all.

I left his place with a heavy heart. I gave him a couple of days and tried to call him, he brushed me off saying that he needed more time.

It took months before we were talking again. But we drifted apart, I was hanging around with a new group of friends, some gay, some not, but all open minded free thinkers who just took me as I was. Actually, some of them were mates of my sisters and before I came out to them, some of them who vaguely knew me thought that I was a typical Essex geeza str8 boy, before they got to know me. I found that out some years later.

As for my best mate and I, our friendship survived in the long run. I was the best man at his wedding and although we're not as close as we once were, we have very little in common now and might not see each other for months at a time, we know that either of us can pick up the phone with no awkwardness and catch up on each other's lives.

So, going back to the story, I totally know what Max is going through, you think you know someone and then it turns out that you don't. His reaction was very real to me and while I hope he sorts his head out for the sake of his friendship with Matt, I wouldn't be surprised if things never went back to the way they were.

I can totally understand that. My best friend and I have known each other all our lives. Our mothers met at a baby clinic and became good friends, so we grew up together. We had been through a hell of a lot and knew each other better than we knew anyone else.

And there laid the problem, when I started questioning my sexuality I told no one, I couldn't, I was too scared. When I finally sorted my head out I still didn't tell anyone I knew because I wasn't sure how they would react.

In truth, the only reaction I cared anything about was my best friend and I knew that he would be the hardest person to tell. I knew that he wasn't homophobic as such, and if we weren't as close as we were I don't think he would have cared one jot, that he had a gay mate.

I didn't plan on telling him the evening that I did. It just happened. We were around his new house that he had just bought with his girlfriend (now his wife) and he wanted to know why I was pretending to be oblivious to the blatant hints a girl we both knew was giving me that she was interested.

Long story short, I told him why I wasn't interested. I'll never forget the look of hurt in his eyes as I told him that I was gay. We spoke about it throughout most of the night and into the early hours.

His reaction was as I expected. He couldn't believe that I had kept something like that from him for all those years. He knew I knew everything about him and suddenly he felt that he didn't know me at all.

I left his place with a heavy heart. I gave him a couple of days and tried to call him, he brushed me off saying that he needed more time.

It took months before we were talking again. But we drifted apart, I was hanging around with a new group of friends, some gay, some not, but all open minded free thinkers who just took me as I was. Actually, some of them were mates of my sisters and before I came out to them, some of them who vaguely knew me thought that I was a typical Essex geeza str8 boy, before they got to know me. I found that out some years later.

As for my best mate and I, our friendship survived in the long run. I was the best man at his wedding and although we're not as close as we once were, we have very little in common now and might not see each other for months at a time, we know that either of us can pick up the phone with no awkwardness and catch up on each other's lives.

Thank you for sharing something so personal with us.

While it's easy to write the happy ending for a story, real life doesn't give us that option, as seen by your story. I am glad that you kept in contact and even though your friendship was badly 'damaged', you still appeared as his best man.

So, going back to the story, I totally know what Max is going through, you think you know someone and then it turns out that you don't. His reaction was very real to me and while I hope he sorts his head out for the sake of his friendship with Matt, I wouldn't be surprised if things never went back to the way they were.

That is exactly what Max's feeling. He feels hurt and betrayed. Hurt that he never really 'knew' Matt. And betrayed because he is gay.

I want things to work out for them and maybe they will. As I've said many times: only time will tell.

P.S. So are you an Essex geezer gay guy? :P

• 2 weeks later...
Hi!

I hope you all enjoyed Chapter 11 of American Differences.

Take care,

Emulated

B) ............Looks like Max is finally going to be coming around, Conner is the glue to this group and a great friend. Now Ayo knows, I am reminded of Mark Twain's saying; 'Three people can keep a secret if two of them are dead'. I get the feeling it won't be long before they are outted to the entire school by a slip-up of someone. I hope it doesn't take something drastic to happen to change Matt's parents views. Great chapter looking forward to more!!

B) ............Looks like Max is finally going to be coming around, Conner is the glue to this group and a great friend. Now Ayo knows, I am reminded of Mark Twain's saying; 'Three people can keep a secret if two of them are dead'. I get the feeling it won't be long before they are outted to the entire school by a slip-up of someone. I hope it doesn't take something drastic to happen to change Matt's parents views. Great chapter looking forward to more!!

Thanks Benji, I'm glad you liked it! B)

Max might come around, but let us not forget that the last time we saw him was when he stood up and left the table, walking away from Matt. Perhaps he's going to change, but I'm not too sure at the moment.

You're right, with every extra person who knows comes an added risk of them being outed. Hopefully they can come out when the time is right and on their own terms.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi!

I hope you all enjoyed Chapter 12 of American Differences.

Take care,

Emulated

B) .............This chapter reminded me 'Circling the Wagons' Matt's parents really need to have their collective heads banged together! Yet, the chapter is too calm, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Good chapter! Looking forward to more!!

B) .............This chapter reminded me 'Circling the Wagons' Matt's parents really need to have their collective heads banged together! Yet, the chapter is too calm, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Good chapter! Looking forward to more!!

Thanks! ;)

I agree, they really need to see some sense before it's too late.

Too calm? Hmm... I personally think that there was quite a lot of action in this chapter. Perhaps not in the sense of a heated argument, but there were some strong words said from both sides.

As for what happens next...we'll wait and see... B)

• 2 weeks later...
B) .............I loved the power struggle on the fields between Jamie and Matt, each surprising the other. I'm guessing they will both be toppers also!! :lol: Matt is to hasty, he needs to give his parents a bit more time. On the other hand, Matt's parents are closeted deniers, life would have been perfect for them if Matt hadn't dragged their heads out of the sand. So now his parents figure if Jamie is out of the picture, they can still deny Matt's gay!! Great Chapter! Will Conner's parents force the issue? Or will Matts absence be to much?
  • Site Moderator

I have to agree with you Benji. By forbidding Matt to see Jamie, they will only drive that wedge a little deeper into the parental relationship. It will be interesting to see what happens in two weeks.

B) .............I loved the power struggle on the fields between Jamie and Matt, each surprising the other. I'm guessing they will both be toppers also!! :lol: Matt is to hasty, he needs to give his parents a bit more time. On the other hand, Matt's parents are closeted deniers, life would have been perfect for them if Matt hadn't dragged their heads out of the sand. So now his parents figure if Jamie is out of the picture, they can still deny Matt's gay!! Great Chapter! Will Conner's parents force the issue? Or will Matts absence be to much?

Yep, they're both versatile. :P But I foresee Jamie having the...upper hand more often, as it were! ;)

Matt is trying to rush things along a bit, he needs to understand that his parents need time to process and comprehend what it all means. But you're right in saying that they needed their heads to be dragged out of the sand.

I'm not sure about Connor's parents, I'm sure they'll play a part in the next chapter, but I don't know what they're going to do.

I have to agree with you Benji. By forbidding Matt to see Jamie, they will only drive that wedge a little deeper into the parental relationship. It will be interesting to see what happens in two weeks.

Exactly, we all know how Romeo and Juliet ended, (not that the story is the same, but there are some similarities). So I see a wedge forming between them, only to push Matt & Jamie closer together.

I agree, I can't wait to see what I'm going to release in two weeks. (Wink Wink!) :P

• 2 weeks later...