I need moral support...

rknapp

*sigh* I just sold my car. Yeah yeah I know, few of you could give two shits about it, but I'm sure ya'll are aware of how much I love my cars. Not nearly as much as I love my boyfriend :wub: , but you get the idea.

I stuck a few For Sale signs on it and drove it to my uncle's house Monday, and he put it on his lawn that night. Supposedly his yard has magical powers for selling things quickly (except the house, apparently, lol), and I just confirmed it, having agreed on a selling price with the new owner and completed the sale a couple hours ago. The guy saw it on the side of the road yesterday and called me about it, I showed it to him early this morning, and he bought it for his 16-year-old son this evening. The kid loves the mufflers and what remaining audio equipment it has.

I babied that thing for four years and now it's gone... but the good news is I might be giving a dealer an offer on a used car that they have tomorrow. We'll see how that pans out.

Well, I definitely can't directly relate. My general approach to handling a vehicle is to treat it like crap until I drive it to its grave, then to move on to a new victim. As is often the case with long, painful, drawn-out deaths, by the time the end comes it's usually a bit of a relief :boy:

Nevertheless, I'm sure this is a pretty big turning point for you, and I know it must be tough :hug:

Good luck with the new car, and let us hope your car's new owner doesn't share my approach to auto maintenance :ph34r:

-Kevin

Edited by AFriendlyFace

I'm with Kevin, am terrible at keeping my car maintained. Which considering how much it cost is pretty bad. My service is ALWAYS late, & will probably pay for that once I come to sell it.

Good luck anyway. :D

• Site Administrator

I agree :lol: , my truck just clicked over 400,000 kms (approx. 250,000 miles) and I continue to treat it right.

So what kind of vehicle are you looking for or planning on getting?

I agree :lol: , my truck just clicked over 400,000 kms (approx. 250,000 miles) and I continue to treat it right.

So what kind of vehicle are you looking for or planning on getting?

I've looked at kinds of other American sedans. Another Grand Prix, both the same body style, and the recently axed body style, Dodge Charger, Chrysler 300C/Touring, Dodge Intrepid, Chrysler Concorde, Chrysler 300M, Pontiac G6, etc. Looking at a car tomorrow so we'll see.

I've looked at kinds of other American sedans. Another Grand Prix, both the same body style, and the recently axed body style, Dodge Charger, Chrysler 300C/Touring, Dodge Intrepid, Chrysler Concorde, Chrysler 300M, Pontiac G6, etc. Looking at a car tomorrow so we'll see.

I have a friend who swears by his Dodge Charger. It is a pretty car, but to me it'll always simply be "silver" as opposed to anything else. :boy:

• Site Administrator
*is glad he sold it to a kid whose Dad knows a thing or two about maintenance and has a good mechanic friend, and not Kevvers or Galahad*

Be especially glad you didn't sell it to this Aussie, either, because not only would you have all the angst from the above, but also cringe at having it converted to right-hand-drive..... :P

Seriously, though, I understand how much that car meant to you, so... :hug:

Try not to think about it so much as a loss as it is a fresh begining.

I mean I'm not a car guy by any means. But the way I see it is this:

I make dresses for all of my friends. It's just one of my random hobbies. Once I've finished the sewing, and fitting, and tailoring, and everything else involved in it and it's ready to be given away and worn, naturally I'm always a little cathartic. A piece of me will always be stitched in to that particular garment an while I am always a little sad to see it go, I think I would be sadder if I never did. The realized concept is only a small fraction of the satisfaction I get from making a dress. I'm passionate about the work involved more than the finished product. So when I give away a dress, naturally I'm a little sad about parting with something that I've dedicated so long to. But on a much grander scale I'm excited that I get to sit around and start all over again.

And also on a fashion/cars comparison: I would much rather give my work away and watch it be enjoyed than let it sit hidden in the closet. I'm sure it would be a lot harder to keep your car around and watch it rust out than it is give it away knowing some body is going to love it.

So here's to you getting pumped about your new car and the blank slate it's going to provide for you to work your magic on. ;-)

I drive an eleven year old Chrysler Concorde. It's not exactly a young man's car :blink: , but it is the best car I have ever owned. I've had no significant problems in 118,000 miles (much lower mileage than it would have if I hadn't retired six years ago). My point is Chrysler makes good cars...better than their reputation. You may find some of the Dodge body styles more appealing. I just hope the company survives, both for the sake of the good cars and for the jobs that are at stake.

My wife drives a sixteen year old Dodge Grand Caravan. We did replace the transmission about six years ago. She loves her van.

Ok, look at the bright side, you didn't have to see it die. Whats even better, its now somebody's

"1st car". So, long after its mechanical utility is over, it'll remain a cherished memory of at least two people. Not a lot of cars have that kina luck.

Look... No moral support from me...

Just die. Ok?

Cordially yours,

Jack (who doesn't own a car)

*bear hugs Jackie-poo*

I'm looking at so many Mopars because I used to have an Intrepid and loved it. I died a little inside after the accident, but it was fixed and sold, so it's probably still out there somewhere. The 300M is the sport-luxury version of the Concorde, which is the executive version of the Intrepid. Specifically I'm looking at the 300M Special, which is the creme de la creme of that platform.

As much as I want a German car, they're expensive to buy and expensive to maintain. I would probably buy an Opel if GM brings them here under the Opel name (not Saturn) but that's one of the few European makes I would buy... that and Vauxhall.

I had a BMW 540i and it was the biggest piece of shit I ever owned.

I honestly think BMW is all hype. They stopped selling cars years and sell just their name now.

As much as I want a German car, they're expensive to buy and expensive to maintain. I would probably buy an Opel if GM brings them here under the Opel name (not Saturn) but that's one of the few European makes I would buy... that and Vauxhall.

Just an observation...the Smart car is a German automobile, not that you would want one. It's made by Daimler-Benz.

Just an observation...the Smart car is a German automobile, not that you would want one. It's made by Daimler-Benz.

I've studied the Smart car. It's tiny and underpowered. That would mean great gas mileage right? Wrong. The thing gets worse mileage than a Cobalt. Some Grand Prixs get better mileage than that. Add to that the fact that they're incredibly unsafe to drive under ANY conditions, they're the worst cars in the world to have. Their size makes them great for parking... that's it. I feel bad for anyone who was suckered into buying one... a friend of mine's parents did. The thing fits in the bed of their Honda Ridgeline.

I've studied the Smart car. It's tiny and underpowered. That would mean great gas mileage right? Wrong. The thing gets worse mileage than a Cobalt. Some Grand Prixs get better mileage than that. Add to that the fact that they're incredibly unsafe to drive under ANY conditions, they're the worst cars in the world to have. Their size makes them great for parking... that's it. I feel bad for anyone who was suckered into buying one... a friend of mine's parents did. The thing fits in the bed of their Honda Ridgeline.

Usually it's great to use for urban living actually. You don't want to put it out on highways. Too slow and this is a f**king huge country. Imagine yourself sitting in a very small car for several hours to reach to the next sizable city. Yeah... not fun. May be too good for twisted and narrow city streets with very limited parking all over densely-populated Europe, but it's not good enough in a very car-cultured surburbia in North America.

Besides, I never see them in the winter. I've been told it doesn't work (rather... start) well in Canadian winters. Those small tires aren't going to get you out of the street parking spot often filled with snow.

Edited by Jack Frost

USA Today had an article on them today. People were slapping down $99 refundable deposits like crazy to get their Smart Cars, and now they're having a problem because lots of people are changing their minds. Maybe they read the same safety studies you did.

Also, perhaps it doesn't have good gas mileage because the US standards don't allow it to be run on diesel like they do in Europe and Canada. Diesel gives out kickass mileage.

Edited by Jack Frost

Also, perhaps it doesn't have good gas mileage because the US standards don't allow it to be run on diesel like they do in Europe and Canada. Diesel gives out kickass mileage.

And costs more