Calling someone by the wrong name

AFriendlyFace

Hi all,

Have you ever known someone's name and interacted with them on a semi-regular basis and yet still had a tendency to call them by the wrong name?

At work one of the ladies at another company with whom we often deal is named "Dayna." I know this, I speak with her at least once a week, and she's a very nice person whom I do not wish to offend. Yet at least half the time I accidentally call her "Dena." :*)

This really drives me crazy because I'm usually very good with names!

I did a quick sampling among a few of my friends via text and it turns out that I'm not alone! I have a friend who routinely calls "Thomas" by the name "Jeremy." Another friend who mistakes "Veronica" for "Victoria." As well as a buddy who calls "Miguel" "Armando." I also had several responses of "Yeah, I do that too," without the person elaborating on a specific problem instance.

So does this embarrassing occurrence happen to you as well?

-Kevin

Hi all,

Have you ever known someone's name and interacted with them on a semi-regular basis and yet still had a tendency to call them by the wrong name?

At work one of the ladies at another company with whom we often deal is named "Dayna." I know this, I speak with her at least once a week, and she's a very nice person whom I do not wish to offend. Yet at least half the time I accidentally call her "Dena." :*)

This really drives me crazy because I'm usually very good with names!

I did a quick sampling among a few of my friends via text and it turns out that I'm not alone! I have a friend who routinely calls "Thomas" by the name "Jeremy." Another friend who mistakes "Veronica" for "Victoria." As well as a buddy who calls "Miguel" "Armando." I also had several responses of "Yeah, I do that too," without the person elaborating on a specific problem instance.

So does this embarrassing occurrence happen to you as well?

-Kevin

B) .......Heck I've done that a lot!! When introducing I always leave it up to the one I know to give his name to the other I forgot ;)

I sometimes tend to screw up in the spur of the moment.... if our dog is being annoying and my brother just after I tend to call him by the dogs name... it usually is switching between the dog, my little brother and my little sister :P my mum does it too :P just because all 3 of them tend to be annoying a lot :P

My teacher used to sometimes call me by a friend of mines name...

"Would you please go to work S?" while she was already working and I kept reading, he would sometimes repeat it up to 3 times before she reacted and told him she was working :P only after that he would call me with my own name. I usually was giggling all the time :P

My worst experience with this is calling a boy I give therapy to my dog's name when he misbehaved. I also frequently mix up the names of two friends with similar names but it's a problem because they don't like each other and find it insulting. And it's not the same but for ages I thought this woman in my uni course was named Muriel and one day I said "Hi Muriel" and she said "My name is Elizabeth" :blink:

Years ago, when we were renovating our house my mother called one of the italian builders Tony for 6 months. Towards the end she had an inkling that it wasn't his name and asked him and he told her his name was John. She then asked why for 6 months he hadn't corrected her to which he said "Well you used to call me John then one day you just switched to Tony."

[EDIT: I can't believe I spelt misbehaved wrong!!]

Edited by writeincode

All the time. I call people the wrong names all the time just because I probably speak too fast and get ahead of myself.

Though usually I just take to renaming people completely and use that name. It's easier to remember.

Yes- this is a hazard of age but not because your brain is rotting.

It's because by the time you are 40 you've know a large number of people and keeping them all straight is a real chore.

You just have to remember to get the name right in bed!!! :lol:

That's actually what I initially thought this thread was going to be about judging by the title. That would be terrible. I wonder whether that actually happens to people.

I don't know, but there are a lot of "youngins" running around the house daily.. and if one of them is doing something wrong, I sometimes will yell three or four of their names before I land on the right one.. lol. I don't know if that's just my dingy-self or if I'm just telling them all to stop doing things, that I just shoot the names out...

And, in high school, I was the lab partner to someone that was really, really, shy... and I didn't know his name, because he was in the grade ahead of me and I think his name was... Lucas, and I called him Lance like through four or so labs, until we got the grades back and I saw his name.. lol. And I fussed at him, in a light way.. "You were just going to let me keep saying the wrong name...?... etc.. etc.." He thought I was being mean.... and then he had a good laugh when I told him, "no not mean, just ditzy.."