Total Recall by Dolores Esteban

• Site Administrator

I was fascinated enough by this story to do my own research regarding Hadrian (of Hadrian's Wall fame) and Antinous. What I found was very interesting. :) I was a little surprised that Dolores didn't use one of the statues of Antinous that's available as the image, because he looks like a very, very handsome young man (assuming that the statues are an accurate representation, of course).

Getting back to the story....

One thing that wasn't clear was whether Terence knew about Antinous before the session. If he did, then I can see how his subconscious would link the story with his own situation. If he didn't, however, we have a very interesting parallel that suggestions either a racial memory or reincarnation. Either way, very intriguing!

Thanks, Dolores :worship: Another great story!

Edited by Graeme

Thank you, Dolores, for a very interesting and well-written tale.

At the beginning I wondered a little about the very short sentences, but then at the end I realised -

that they probably represented the sort of short repetitive words that are used to induce hypnosis. So they lead us into the story just like the narrator.

Having been interested for a long time in the history of the Roman Empire, and as I live within walking distance of the eastern end of Hadrian's wall, I recognised the situation as soon as the name Hadrian appeared for the first time. As Graeme said, it would be very interesting to know whether or not Terence knew that history before the session. There is speculation not only about the death of Antinous but also about his exact age, and he might well have been even younger than in this story. There is also no absolute proof that the relationship was sexual, though of course it is very likely.

Also, it is said that not only was Antinous very good looking but also that he was charming, witty, and intelligent. Bearing in mind that that sort of relationship would have been known to Antinous before he met the Emperor and that Antinous would have deliberately shown off his charm, wit and intelligence to Hadrian, it is likely that Antinous wanted the relationship. After all, the Emperor would have had access to lots of pretty boys, so Antinous would have had to do something to make Hadrian fall in love with him above all others. Indeed, Antinous must have been very charming, because although Hadrian and his Empress apparently disliked one another, the Empress is said to have got on well with Antinous.

They seem to have had a lot in common (e.g. they both loved hunting, philosophy, etc) and there is no doubt that Hadrian truly loved him. Hadrian was filled with grief when Antinous died, he declared him to be a god, named a city in his honour, etc. So, bearing in mind all the above, although such a relationship would certainly be abusive in modern society, it is unlikely that Antinous would consider himself to have been in an abusive relationship. Therefore, my own opinion is that there was no psychic link between Terence and Antinous.

Kit

Many thanks for reading and for your detailed review, Kit :)

I deliberately leave the interpretation to the readers. Personally, I'd say that Terence heard of Antinous and Hadrian and forgot about that story. His subconscious made up a new story. It linked Antinous and Hadrian's nile cruise and Antinous' death with his own nile cruise and his painful experience and sad relationship.

That's the glory of fiction.... anything is possible. Also even though it might have been quite normal for the time and even though Hadrian loved him dearly there is nothing to say that, on the inside Antonio wasn't feeling the way you describe.

In any event it was a fantastic story

• 2 weeks later...

You write historical stories very well.  The story was very nice and I adored the flashback part. It was so well written. I could feel it- the ancient place as well as the turmoiled character. Great. :D

Take care,

Ieshwar

P.S I just realised that it's drawn from real facts. Silly me. :P