I was thinking....

Agin made a good point in his "Never Again" post! I was thinking that maybe we could get some story assignments to read each week, and discuss what we like and don't like about them and how they might improve. We could have people submit some of their favorite stories (I'm sure everybody is reading something different), and if you're a writer...submit one of your own! Why not? You know?

Hell, it might even make me read faster. I put everything off til the last minutes! Ugh! But I'd love to talk it over with you guys. :) What do you think? Maybe every Friday we discuss a new one?

That does sound like a good idea. As a writer, I love to read. I do have one of my older stories that could work. It's about 100k, but it's complete, at least for the first book. I am working on a much longer one, but it's no where near complete. I figure the stories are supposed to be complete. (A)

Ok, so should we get a list together? And what day would you guys wanna do it? Maybe once a week? Like Thursdays or something?

I'd definitely be down for the 'exclusive' content idea too! Although I have to work on my Summer Anthology story first! I need to get back to readingother stories on a regular basis. It's something I wanna make time for.

Agin made a good point in his "Never Again" post! I was thinking that maybe we could get some story assignments to read each week, and discuss what we like and don't like about them and how they might improve. We could have people submit some of their favorite stories (I'm sure everybody is reading something different), and if you're a writer...submit one of your own! Why not? You know?

Hell, it might even make me read faster. I put everything off til the last minutes! Ugh! But I'd love to talk it over with you guys. :) What do you think? Maybe every Friday we discuss a new one?

Boy, there are so many things out there. Some of my favorites are very long form and would take weeks to read. In the somewhat shorter realm, there are some I like because they are quite provocative and surprising -- I would put Masquerade in that category. I like unusual coming-of-age stories such as The Activist. And as I've written elsewhere, I really like the Comicality story One Night, Why Not because it is just so glorious in each step of the main character's journey.

Seems like it would be wisest to pick things that are short enough that people can keep up.

A

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I'm not exactly sure how to start this off. But I'd love to see some more stories talked about on the board. So how about we pick a day of the week to do so? Maybe Thursdays or Fridays? Where we could all post our thoughts on a story. And whoever made the suggestion for the story, can lead the discussion? Sound good?

Also, I noticed the story length question earlier too. So mabe we should think of a 'cap' for the length of the story chosen. I mean, some stories might have 20 chapters, but they might only be a few pages long each. Other stories mght be 4 chapters long, but they might be 100 pages each. Depending on how fast you read, what's a good length for a 'one week read'?

Hehehe, I said 'what's a good length'! Tee hee!

But there were some suggestions made already. We can start with those, and I'll keep the rest in mind.

Ok, so I'm not exactly sure how to start this off. But I'd love to see some more stories talked about on the board. So how about we pick a day of the week to do so? Maybe Thursdays or Fridays? Where we could all post our thoughts on a story. And whoever made the suggestion for the story, can lead the discussion? Sound good?

Also, I noticed the story length question earlier too. So mabe we should think of a 'cap' for the length of the story chosen. I mean, some stories might have 20 chapters, but they might only be a few pages long each. Other stories mght be 4 chapters long, but they might be 100 pages each. Depending on how fast you read, what's a good length for a 'one week read'?

Hehehe, I said 'what's a good length'! Tee hee!

But there were some suggestions made already. We can start with those, and I'll keep the rest in mind.

Thursdays or Fridays are good for me but it depends on the time. I mean I'm not on USA time here and I won't be around at 3am :P And where do we do the discussion... on the thread or in a chatroom somewhere?

Thursdays or Fridays are good for me but it depends on the time. I mean I'm not on USA time here and I won't be around at 3am :P And where do we do the discussion... on the thread or in a chatroom somewhere?

I was assuming the discussion would be in message threads on the forum. Things like: What we liked about the story, what we disliked, what questions we were left with, maybe highlighting a few key passages, etc. I would probably have trouble supporting a live chat schedule.

A

Yeah, I'd definitely say that we have our discussions on the board. Because, like you said, Neph, it would be hard to get chatroom times worked out with all the time differences and all. Also, I think it would be cool for any of the authors who have a review here to be able to stop by and see what people thought of the story. Sort of like the reviews on GA, or the ones Agincourt has been doing.

I know that some authors don't always get the credit they deserve, I'd love for them to see some feedback.

So what do you think? Thursdays? It'll keep us away from the 'Friday night follies' that folks ge into! Hehehe, you guys would never post if you're going out partying. Plus...even if you don't post directly on Thursday, the thread will still be open for the rest of the weekend. So you can still give your thoughts later on. I've actually been dying to read some of Graeme and Neph's work. You guys wanna start us off with something cool?

I'm trying to work on my Summer Anthology story at the moment, and get it in order for Monday so I can submit a decent piece of work. But after that, I wanna get back into reading other people's stories more often. So let's pick one for next weekend! :)

Heya, Riley! :)

I saw your link! About how long would you say your story is? Maybe we can start with yours for next week!

Yipes! I've only just read the top of the thread to see that Neph is suggesting looking at 'Against The Machine'! I'm honoured - but I wonder if it might not be a bit long to easily discuss. There's around 18 chapters altogether, athough it does fall into two parts. I guess it depends what the focus of the discussion is. An issue or a writing style or a particular take on life...maybe even certain characters? I've never belonged to a 'book club' so I don't really know how they do these things

Would be a shame to start something good and get bogged down and give up because we don't know how best to frame it.

Riley

Maybe I am just being totally lazy because I have already read Against the Machine but I think that it is so unique and exciting that everyone should read it so I still put my vote on that one.

(in anticipation) Shut up Riley... :):P

Well, I'm reading Against the Machine and I must say that as of the end of Chapter 4 it's a pretty bleak world being portrayed.

Without knowing more about where the story is going to go, it already has me pondering whether any society could resist using (and misusing) the technology that is being described, despite the obvious moral and humanitarian issues raised.

A

I got it...read the story first...

It's what happens when an hetero-centric world goes mad, and any deviant behavior results in the 'criminal' being guilty with or without proof 'beyond doubt' and addicted to a 'sexual stimulus' machine rather than actual sexual stimulus with another human being.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..