Fraternity Memoirs

I read this story a long long time ago on Nifty and since then i've checked almost every singe day to see if it's updated (and it never has :( ) So I was wondering if any of you know if the story was ever finished somewhere else? I'm hopelessly addicted to it :(

And if you haven't read the story I suggest you do. It stll amazes me even now that i've re-read it a million times lol

Fraternity Memoirs

The story is about, obviously, a fraternity. It's basically an autobiography of his time in the fraternity. It'll blow you away!

It actually got me addicted to stories about fraternity life which kind of sucks because there aren't that many out there (or atleast I haven't found any).

.:Kat:.

I read this story a long long time ago on Nifty and since then i've checked almost every singe day to see if it's updated (and it never has :( ) So I was wondering if any of you know if the story was ever finished somewhere else? I'm hopelessly addicted to it :(

And if you haven't read the story I suggest you do. It stll amazes me even now that i've re-read it a million times lol

Fraternity Memoirs

The story is about, obviously, a fraternity. It's basically an autobiography of his time in the fraternity. It'll blow you away!

It actually got me addicted to stories about fraternity life which kind of sucks because there aren't that many out there (or atleast I haven't found any).

Kat,

John Walsh stopped writing Fraternity Memoirs. There are a couple yahoo groups dedicated to FM or the spirit of FM. Where guys keep a vigil 'in case' John starts writing again. I've been waiting a couple years and its highly doubtful that he will continue.

John had an authors Chat on Nifty once where he answered a bunch of questions and I believe the text of that chat as well as some other 'What happened after...' stuff is posted in the group.

But alas, no, there are no more chapters.

Hope this Helps,

Vic

P.S. - If you have any other questions about Frat Memoirs, you may want to check with the Big Kitty (MarkArbour).

Edited by naper_vic

:( Aw I shouldn't have asked. Atleast then I could have fooled myself in to thinking he would update! well crap, that's depressing. :(

Thanks for replying and giving me info though! :D

John's story is the catalyst that got me involved in gay stories that just weren't j/o pieces, in addition to giving me a lot of insight into myself. The group that formed around John evolved into a group of friends with a common purpose...exploring bisexuality...and many are now good online friends of mine. The original yahoo group was "fm", then "fm2", and now (after a yahoo close) is it "Fmagain".

What makes his story so unique is that it is, with a bit of poetic license, his true story. He's an interesting guy, a total New Yorker with the attitude to boot, and a nice guy once you get to know him. I think that John stopped writing for a few reasons. First of all, I think his initial purpose, to bare his soul and get some monkeys off his back, was achieved. Not to mention that he discovered that he was a great writer and attracted a devoted group of hero-worshipping fans, many who are young and hot. That's never a bad deal.

Even more of a factor was that he was approaching in his story a point that was especially painful for him. He was busted in his Sophomore or Junior year having sex with another guy. The girl who caught them "outted" him. The guy in his story (Kevin) totally bailed on him, and where he at least expected some support, he got nothing. John isn't explicit about this, but it's pretty plain to me that at some level he was in love with Kevin. That hurt really bad. In the end, his frat was amazing, and even elected him as their President even though he was an outed gay guy. As for Kevin, well, they ended up in a massive fight, a physical one, and John still has a scar from it. Pretty ugly.

There's a lot of speculation about this whole thing. One of the more popular theories is that John is frustrated because he is bisexual and this "outing" limits his ability to have relationships with women. I'm not sure about it one way or another.

Anyway, check out the group if you get a chance. He did a chat where he flushed out his story and it's pretty interesting. I think it's posted there.

For those of you who haven't read it, DO. It's a great story.

John's story is the catalyst that got me involved in gay stories that just weren't j/o pieces, in addition to giving me a lot of insight into myself. The group that formed around John evolved into a group of friends with a common purpose...exploring bisexuality...and many are now good online friends of mine. The original yahoo group was "fm", then "fm2", and now (after a yahoo close) is it "Fmagain".

What makes his story so unique is that it is, with a bit of poetic license, his true story. He's an interesting guy, a total New Yorker with the attitude to boot, and a nice guy once you get to know him. I think that John stopped writing for a few reasons. First of all, I think his initial purpose, to bare his soul and get some monkeys off his back, was achieved. Not to mention that he discovered that he was a great writer and attracted a devoted group of hero-worshipping fans, many who are young and hot. That's never a bad deal.

Even more of a factor was that he was approaching in his story a point that was especially painful for him. He was busted in his Sophomore or Junior year having sex with another guy. The girl who caught them "outted" him. The guy in his story (Kevin) totally bailed on him, and where he at least expected some support, he got nothing. John isn't explicit about this, but it's pretty plain to me that at some level he was in love with Kevin. That hurt really bad. In the end, his frat was amazing, and even elected him as their President even though he was an outed gay guy. As for Kevin, well, they ended up in a massive fight, a physical one, and John still has a scar from it. Pretty ugly.

There's a lot of speculation about this whole thing. One of the more popular theories is that John is frustrated because he is bisexual and this "outing" limits his ability to have relationships with women. I'm not sure about it one way or another.

Anyway, check out the group if you get a chance. He did a chat where he flushed out his story and it's pretty interesting. I think it's posted there.

For those of you who haven't read it, DO. It's a great story.

Thank you very much! That gave me a little closure with his story. I completely understand why it would be hard for him to continue writing it. I never thought about how it was affecting him personally ( I feel selfish now). I guess writing it down is almost like re-living it.

I'm glad his frat helped and supported him in the end. I'll go ahead and check out the yahoo group and try to find that chat. Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to post all of that, it helped a lot :2thumbs:

Thank you very much! That gave me a little closure with his story. I completely understand why it would be hard for him to continue writing it. I never thought about how it was affecting him personally ( I feel selfish now). I guess writing it down is almost like re-living it.

I'm glad his frat helped and supported him in the end. I'll go ahead and check out the yahoo group and try to find that chat. Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to post all of that, it helped a lot :2thumbs:

No problem. And if you're a hot young chick living near New York you should send him an e-mail. He is bisexual you know.

:P

No problem. And if you're a hot young chick living near New York you should send him an e-mail. He is bisexual you know.

:P

lol I'll keep that in mind :P

btw, I can't seem to find the yahoo group. Do you know if it's still around?

Edited by Kat
  • 3 years later...
lol I'll keep that in mind :P

btw, I can't seem to find the yahoo group. Do you know if it's still around?

Well, nothing like waiting 3 years to answer a post. The yahoo group(s) are still out there.

John's group, which is pretty much inactive but is a wonderful repository for his stories and such, is:

Fraternity Memoirs - Yahoo Group

There were a number of successor groups designed to promote the lively discussion that had evolved in John's original group. I left the last one, FM2again, because it had become a place for spammers. Most of the people in that group migrated to Adam Phillip's group. I recommend that you check in there and check out his work. Adam is the guy who's in the process of completing "It Started With Brian" here on GA for the Sam Kincaid, who we lost, sadly, a few months ago.

Adam Phillip's Group

It Started With Brian (on GA)

• 1 year later...

Well, nothing like waiting 3 years to answer a post. The yahoo group(s) are still out there.

John's group, which is pretty much inactive but is a wonderful repository for his stories and such, is:

Fraternity Memoirs - Yahoo Group

There were a number of successor groups designed to promote the lively discussion that had evolved in John's original group. I left the last one, FM2again, because it had become a place for spammers. Most of the people in that group migrated to Adam Phillip's group. I recommend that you check in there and check out his work. Adam is the guy who's in the process of completing "It Started With Brian" here on GA for the Sam Kincaid, who we lost, sadly, a few months ago.

Adam Phillip's Group

It Started With Brian (on GA)

John just sent an email to his group seeing if anyone is still out there. He stated he is thinking of starting again but not to hold our breath. I sure wish he would.

• 8 years later...
On 9/23/2005 at 11:48 PM, Mark Arbour said:

Hi, 2005 Mark Arbour. God, look how young you are, stud!

Anyway, I was googling Fraternity Memoirs and I found this and since I wasn't part of Gay Authors when you posted this (I was just a wee lad of 19 discovering the mishaps of online hookups and college life) I thought I'd put in my 2 cents.

I had a convo with the dearly departed Adam Phillips (don't worry, he's just online-dead, not dead-dead) once and I told him that I believe that John picked "gay" because he doesn't really form the emotional attachment to women that he does with men, even though he's good with the sexual attraction side to both. Adam agreed with me. I'm not in John's head and I don't know what he's been up to, but if he's married to a woman and not a man, I'd be deeply shocked.

I originally read the story when I was 17 and wanted nothing more than to be John. Reading it 15 years later, I just kind of feel like I want to give 18-year old John a hug and tell him things will be alright. It's kind of funny- when I was introduced to the story, I was really into the superficial aspects of it- the parties, the sex, John's good looks. (He posted a photo of himself and if that was really him, DAMN he has a great set of shoulders.) Now when I read it, I notice all the darker aspects of it- the rampant drug and alcohol use, the dehumanizing attitude towards sex, and John's general inability to do anything that goes against the grain of what his friends want. His reaction to his outing makes so much sense- the kid spent so much of his life being a Golden Boy and Mr. Popular, that he couldn't really handle NOT being liked/supported by people.

I definitely wish he had continued, but I can see why he didn't. John's 20's in general seemed like they had a lot of tough times, even going beyond his outing. I believe he alluded at some point to that Yahoo chat that he had a drinking problem, and I mean if you read the story he definitely showed the signs of it.

Walsh should be about 42 now, if my guess of him having a 1976 birth year is right. I hope he's doing well. I'd like to think he is, given that he didn't need writing as an outlet anymore.

Hell, maybe he's married to one of his former frat brothers. Now THAT would be hot. 😉

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/27/2018 at 9:44 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Hi, 2005 Mark Arbour. God, look how young you are, stud!

Anyway, I was googling Fraternity Memoirs and I found this and since I wasn't part of Gay Authors when you posted this (I was just a wee lad of 19 discovering the mishaps of online hookups and college life) I thought I'd put in my 2 cents.

I had a convo with the dearly departed Adam Phillips (don't worry, he's just online-dead, not dead-dead) once and I told him that I believe that John picked "gay" because he doesn't really form the emotional attachment to women that he does with men, even though he's good with the sexual attraction side to both. Adam agreed with me. I'm not in John's head and I don't know what he's been up to, but if he's married to a woman and not a man, I'd be deeply shocked.

I originally read the story when I was 17 and wanted nothing more than to be John. Reading it 15 years later, I just kind of feel like I want to give 18-year old John a hug and tell him things will be alright. It's kind of funny- when I was introduced to the story, I was really into the superficial aspects of it- the parties, the sex, John's good looks. (He posted a photo of himself and if that was really him, DAMN he has a great set of shoulders.) Now when I read it, I notice all the darker aspects of it- the rampant drug and alcohol use, the dehumanizing attitude towards sex, and John's general inability to do anything that goes against the grain of what his friends want. His reaction to his outing makes so much sense- the kid spent so much of his life being a Golden Boy and Mr. Popular, that he couldn't really handle NOT being liked/supported by people.

I definitely wish he had continued, but I can see why he didn't. John's 20's in general seemed like they had a lot of tough times, even going beyond his outing. I believe he alluded at some point to that Yahoo chat that he had a drinking problem, and I mean if you read the story he definitely showed the signs of it.

Walsh should be about 42 now, if my guess of him having a 1976 birth year is right. I hope he's doing well. I'd like to think he is, given that he didn't need writing as an outlet anymore.

Hell, maybe he's married to one of his former frat brothers. Now THAT would be hot. 😉

it's November 2024 now and I just finished reading the story.

I felt really invested in the story and put myself in John's shoes. my heart was breaking when I read the last part. i just want to give young John a hug (well, I am 27, so he is much older than me now, but still). I really hope he is living a happy life. a part of me really want to find a way to reach him. I am late to the party (considering I was 5 when this story was published, not much I could do).