The Last Toast! by Jim_83

I actually laughed out loud at the ending of this one :lol:

Frosty if you're reading this get your hubby to write more :P (and you for that matter ;) )

Actually, at first it sounded serious until he got more and more delusional :P

Great comic piece :)

Comic? I didn't get the comic at all. I thought it was totally tragic. The comic bits were even more poignant than the serious ones. I'm not sure if it's talking about a single life or the general state of humanity but I think the fact that both can be read into it speaks a lot for the quality of the writing.

What a double act :) Look out GA

• Like 1

I actually laughed out loud at the ending of this one :lol:

Frosty if you're reading this get your hubby to write more :P (and you for that matter ;) )

Actually, at first it sounded serious until he got more and more delusional :P

Great comic piece :)

Thanks Stu,

Glad that u liked it :) . Comedy has a different dimension for me :) , u'll see that evertime you laugh your heart out, the cramps in your stomach brings tears in your eyes! :P

Comic? I didn't get the comic at all. I thought it was totally tragic. The comic bits were even more poignant than the serious ones. I'm not sure if it's talking about a single life or the general state of humanity but I think the fact that both can be read into it speaks a lot for the quality of the writing.

What a double act :) Look out GA

Thanks a lot! :) :) I'm really glad you took the time to comment on this piece.

It's all about Jeremy's perception atm. About a much broader and deeper aspect of life as a whole, which is in fact far beyond his reach or even understanding. And i think, none of us can claim that we've never had such a night! :P :P

• Site Administrator

Interesting story. I'd like to know if his state of mind is due to the drinking or if the drinking is due to his state of mind. There's more behind the thoughts of the character we don't get to see so it was a bit one dimensional for a story but for a characterization it was lovely. His musings and his determination to end it all right before he falls and passes out again are very bleak. The last line was a bit of quip, though it made me think that in some ways he was dead to society already, he already took that leap. Definitely a story that makes you think, good job!

I love how you describe the way he falls down in a drunken stupor. It's just a few words, and it's magical.

(This story makes me glad that I don't drink!)

Colin B)

Thanks Colin. :) yes drinking has serious side effects. But it does help 'elevate' your state of mind, eh? (even if momentarily!) :P

Interesting story. I'd like to know if his state of mind is due to the drinking or if the drinking is due to his state of mind. There's more behind the thoughts of the character we don't get to see so it was a bit one dimensional for a story but for a characterization it was lovely. His musings and his determination to end it all right before he falls and passes out again are very bleak. The last line was a bit of quip, though it made me think that in some ways he was dead to society already, he already took that leap. Definitely a story that makes you think, good job!

Thanks a lot, Cia.

Well, a drunk spills his heart out, so yes, I would say Jeremy did think about these things over and over again, for days - events both personal and circumstantial that affected him over the years and influenced both his conscious and subconscious self have taken him to an eternal state of depression, agony and hatred for anything and everything around - but somewhere inside he still has hope - in his own crooked way.

This is not really a story per se, and meant to be one dimensional and biased. Jeremy is not dead to the society - he is rather invisible; the society in turn is dead to him, and he never understood the reason for either. He gets drunk pretty often (as hinted by the speaker in the end), but the reason, his reason, is left to our imaginations. :D