[Adam Phillips] Something that amused me

I noticed that my chapters all got five stars, except for four of them.

I'm flattered and appreciative. But consider the content of the four four-starred chapters.

Three of them are about Andy's relationship with females.

One of them is about Andy's homophobic rage-fueled encounter with an effeminate gay guy.

I get why the last of those might not get universal acclaim.

But apparently, somebody or -bodies doesn't like Andy getting with women. :lol:

I noticed that my chapters all got five stars, except for four of them.

I'm flattered and appreciative. But consider the content of the four four-starred chapters.

Three of them are about Andy's relationship with females.

One of them is about Andy's homophobic rage-fueled encounter with an effeminate gay guy.

I get why the last of those might not get universal acclaim.

But apparently, somebody or -bodies doesn't like Andy getting with women. :lol:

hahaha.... That is so funny! Peeps come to read gay stories in here, even the bi and straight ones I think. And when they encounter a m/f twist in a plot it shakes them for sure. Sad too.

In my opinnion it doesn't make a story any better or worse, just that the readers didn't get their expectations satisfied. I don't mind reading m/f, but the first time I pumped into one in GA I nearly peed in my pants for laughing at the surprise (Lugh's Catara).

Adam. Four stars is great. Don't bitch.

As happens so often, you have entirely missed the point of this post, Grasshopper. I believe you saw in my post that I was not concerned about the rating.

The point of the post was to reflect on a certain consistency in the content of those lower-rated chapters, and to muse--with amusement--on that.

You're a graduate student now...put your cognitive skills in gear before you post. :boy:

Sorry, I think I skimmed through that. Anyway, I guess that makes sense.

People want to read about Andy having sex with men...not so much him having sex with women. That's just the reality of your audience.

As I recall, Adam ran into a similar issue with the Nifty Archivist when he wrote the first of those chapters a few years back, not recently; and I remember the spat he had with the Archivist over the category of the story as a result.

So I'm not surprised.

I remember that. I'm not sure why Adam had such a big issue with the archivist wanting to put Cross-Currents into the bisexual category. Isn't the whole point of Cross-Currents about not letting labels decide who we are and how we feel? I didn't understand why Adam was adamant about having Cross-Currents put in the gay category, because aren't labels supposed to irrevelent to the heart of the story?

Edited by methodwriter85

I remember that. I'm not sure why Adam had such a big issue with the archivist wanting to put Cross-Currents into the bisexual category. Isn't the whole point of Cross-Currents about not letting labels decide who we are and how we feel? I didn't understand why Adam was adamant about having Cross-Currents put in the gay category, because aren't labels supposed to irrevelent to the heart of the story?

It's because the story is essentially a story about the love of one guy for another guy. And I guess there is some narrative out there possessed of a "point," but I'm not aware of bringing a point to Crosscurrents. In fact, in my experience, when narrative has a point, it's usually clunky and heavy-handed and self-righteous.

Okay, so maybe you don't bring a point, per se, but the story does point out that Andy has angst about what he feels about Matt because of his own self-prescribed label of being mostly straight. So why does this story need to be in the gay category? Why can't it exist in the bi category, especially concerning Andy's equally strong love for Angie? Why does it matter what category it belong to? Doesn't the story basically transcend what we think of as conventional labels?

I think you yourself hit the secondary reasoning for the trend, Adam. The story is "essentially the story about the love of one guy for another guy." Most everyone in here, despite our general knowledge of the outcome, is pulling for a Matt-Andy fairy-tale ending. In that light, sex with women is just a point of dissonance for readers in getting to that desired result.