Mark Arbour

California Culture: Circa 2000

1 minute ago, methodwriter85 said:

Can you try to do that for Sean McVay, and see if you can get a signed autographed picture of him shirtless in a pair of tight boxer briefs and then send it to me? Thank you.

If the Rams keep up the good work, the ratings should rebound. Although ratings in general aren't what they used to be.

As a random thought, I kind of like that Sean McVay does his hair in a vague faux-hawk that was a pretty popular look when we were 20 (he's about 7 weeks younger than me), and he seems fond of layering short-sleeved shirts over long sleeve shirts, also a popular look back in 2006. That makes me smile. All that he needs is a choker.

Ehhhh, he's blonde, with a beard and generic white-guy "good looks". Not my type at all. 

1 minute ago, TetRefine said:

Ehhhh, he's blonde, with a beard and generic white-guy "good looks". Not my type at all. 

I'm usually not that into blondes but I still find Sean McVay pretty cute. He reminds me of a grown-up version of the cute cerebral jocks I knew in high school or college.

Unfortunately I'll always have a thing for guys that give off a frat boy vibe or a preppy boy-next-door vibe. Armie Hammer and Aaron Tveit are basically my main male fantasies for guys close to my age. LOL.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2018 at 10:35 PM, TetRefine said:

Also like...this does nothing for you?

04-armie-hammer.jpg

Nothing at all?

He's a California boy, although he did spent some time in the Caribbean.

Anyway...found this really cool shot of Los Angeles:

mbgsaqtj63k01.jpg

It'll be interesting to see what this skyline might look like in another 20 years, given that there's a push for skyscrapers.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Also like...this does nothing for you?

04-armie-hammer.jpg

Nothing at all?

Nope. Again, he’s just another generic clone white boy that they plaster literally everywhere as the standard of “hot” or “attractive”. That is not my type at all.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, TetRefine said:

Nope. Again, he’s just another generic clone white boy that they plaster literally everywhere as the standard of “hot” or “attractive”. That is not my type at all.

Yeah, understood. Different strokes and all that. For me, it's that combination of Armie's Ken Doll looks, his sexy golden voice, his exotic upbringing in the Caribbean, and the fact that he should be douchy like his Winklevoss characters but he comes off as a pretty nice guy. I remember being super-bummed that he didn't do Finnick in the Hunger Games. And it's cool that he basically turned down his family fortune to do what he wanted to do.

Anyway, I found this video about cheap eats at various places in Los Angeles:

That's pretty cool that they sell off their old pizza at a dollar a slice. Looked pretty solid. (And I like cold pizza, so yeah.)

I wish Blue still posted. He would have liked getting some tips about cheap places to grab some decent grub on the cheap.

• Like 1

I'm really active on Reddit, and over on the Delaware subreddit, there's a thread going on that explains Delaware to a Santa Barbara, California resident who plans on moving here. This is how one person  put it:

Welcome, former Cali resident here too. Get ready for cold/hot/snow/rain/wind/flooding. Drive slow in the snow and ice (ice is worse). Other than the freeway expect roads not to be plowed till it’s really bad. Get ready for potholes. By comparison DE DMV is amazing and you’ll get it all done in record time. Don’t trust gps if you drive into PA. Yes, NYC is 2hrs away but $40 in tolls, so jump on a bus. Wilmington is our Compton/Oakland. Dover is our Modesto/Fresno. Newark is our college town. The state is tiny so it’s less that 10 miles to MD/NJ/PA from anywhere. Go to WaWa and get it out of the way early, AT&T wireless sucks here. You will be disappointed by our beaches. Get ready to cry at our low house prices and property taxes. Dog parks and farmers markets are not that prevalent here. No lane splitting motorcycles but you can pass on the breakdown lane if the person in front of you is turning left. Watch speed limits. That’s how we get away with no sales taxes. Expect to mow your yard weekly unlike California. All of the jokes about how boring DE is true. Go with it.

To add to this, given what I've learned about California from you beautiful people all these years...

-Expressway, not Freeway

-We don't put "the" in front of expressway/highway names. "I'm going to Newark and I'm taking 273 to get there."

-There's a really high percentage of private/charter/magnet school enrollment. Even if you're in a nice area, that in no way guarantees a good school the way it seems to do in California.

-Herr's chips.

-An insanely early last call of 1 a.m.

-No big cities, but you CAN go to Philly, DC, or NYC pretty easily.

On 1/18/2018 at 5:03 PM, Mark Arbour said:

I am a Rams fan, and while it's sad that they're not in St. Louis anymore, I personally feel they belong in LA, so I'm good with it.  

Your boys are having another good season, while my boys are crashing and burning. Since it looks like an Eagles Super Bowl return is out of the question and the Ravens aren't looking that much better, I'm also going to root for the Rams. Again, Sean McVay is pretty hot.

The Rams had an extended period of being pretty shitty, so it's awesome that they're starting 10-1 this year. Seriously, that's awesome.

We have already made plans to evacuate from Atlanta for the sportsball insanity.  :unsure:

Edited by impunity

I don't know if Private Tim still lurks, but I thought he'd enjoy this photo of Downtown Pasadena that someone posted on Reddit:

m81qzxpn6yt11.jpg

TIL that there's a subculture of adults who participate in what they call "Disney Bounding", where they dress up in outfits inpspired by Disney characters but not actual costumes, because Disney bans adults from wearing costumes. (Which makes sense- you don't want kids following strangers in costumes, and you don't want non-employees being thought to be employees.)

God, I wish Blue still showed up here. I wonder if he's ever dated a guy who was like super-obsessed with Disneyland.

I also wish Private TIm showed up here, because man I want to pick his brain about the USC admissions cheating scandal. I've always gotten the vibe that he has close ties to that school.