Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Brain Storming

Hi Benji,

The main reason I wanted to start a new topic was to get away from the old Topic, which referred to a specific chapter. We can use this one until the end of the story. As long as we make entries, it will stay close to the top of the listing.

First I am going to list items, which I believe we both agree on. Then go on to others. We can kick them around. Once you have gone over the latter ones, I look forward to your input,

1 – Rachel and Dirk purchased the Ares from Arnold, without Bridget being aware of it. Bridget learned of the sale and murdered Arnold. Bridget could not stop Rachel and Dirk from taking possession of the Ares.

2 – Rachel started and ran a charter service. While she was doing this, Bridget recruited Rachel to transport money for the purpose of laundering it. It would not surprise me, if some of the money being made legal, belonged to Rachel.

3 – After Rachel became involved in this activity, Bridget notified the authorities about her breaking the law. Rachel later learned she was the subject of an investigation

4 – Rachel had found documents hidden aboard the Ares by Arnold. When she read them, Rachel learned Bridget was involved with smuggling drugs for the Colombian Cartel.

5 – Rachel knew she had to disappear permanently.

BENJI: YOU AND I MAY NOT AGREE AS TO WHY SHE HAD TO.

6 – Rachel and Dirk entered into a criminal conspiracy to fake her death. Rachel knew she couldn’t just disappear. The two of them worked out a plan. Rachel would be underway sailing in the Bahamas. A brief radio Mayday would be broadcast. Some identifiable debris would be dropped into the water, in the reported area.

7 - Rachel knew Bridget wanted to regain possession of the Ares. If the Atlantis were used as the reported missing vessel, the Ares would still be available for Bridget to get control of. Bridget knew Dirk could not go to sea and would have no reason to keep the Ares.

8 – Rachel and Dirk had purchased another Lagoon 55 from Bridget for cash. The bill of sail identified the vessel by the Registration Number, not by name. As the seller, Bridget would know, the registered owner was Trevor. After Rachel had purchased the vessel it was named the Atlantis.

9 – Rachel and Dirk arranged to have the ownership of the Atlantis transferred to Rachel. They had planned to get divorced. They had filed and submitted the paperwork. They did not complete the court hearing. No final order was issued. Rachel prepared a will. She left the Atlantis to Trevor. Dirk would still be her husband when she was declared dead. He would take possession of all jointly owned property, thus no inheritance taxes. He would be the executor of her estate. They knew Bridget had never indicated any interest, in gaining possession of the Atlantis. The concealed papers would remain safe.

10 – Rachel sailed on a charter, which commenced on Thursday, May 15th, 1997 and was completed, as scheduled, on Sunday, May 25th, 1997 in Nassau.

BENJI, I HOPE YOU AGREE WITH ME SO FAR. IF YOU DO NOT, LET ME KNOW AND WE CAN KICK IT AROUND. NOW, ON TO THE TRICKY STUFF.

A – Rachel was in Nassau with the Ares.

B - The distance between Nassau and Fort Pierce is approximately 214 nautical miles, as the crow flies. If you factor in necessary course changes, I would guess-ta-mate the cruising distance to be approximately 250 miles.

C - I was unable to locate a site on the Internet to ascertain the daily weather conditions for May 1997. The information may be available, but I was unable to locate it. The only mention of weather in the Prologue refers to the final time Rachel sailed aboard the Ares. This was approximately six hours before the Mayday radio message was broadcast. The Prologue states, “Rachel,” sailed. There is no mention of what vessel she was on. There is no mention of her destination. As to the time of sailing, it is described. I believe there was another trip made before this final one. I address this later on. It is at this point the inconsistencies start to appear.

D – In Chapter 7 Trevor sails from Fort Pierce. The purpose of his trip is to search for the reported missing Ares. He wants to recover his mother’s body. Trevor sails on a Friday afternoon. His trip is well described as to the directions he sailed and his activities. It was on the third day he dropped a wreath into the water. That was to commemorate the date of his mothers reported death. This was done on Sunday, May 28th, 2006. His thoughts were described. Trevor can lie under the guidelines established. However, I find it difficult to believe, he would deliberately lie to himself. The date of his mother’s death is on her tombstone.

E – In the Prologue, Rachel’s Memorial Service is described. The fact that an empty oaken casket was lowered into the ground is documented. In Chapter 79, Trevor describes to Shane the memorial service for Rachel. He mentions the fact that a headstone was put up. When CJ posted the announcement regarding the delay for posting Chapter 80, He included an announcement. He said that readers could post questions. He would choose one of the characters appearing in Circumnavigation to answer it. One of the questions I asked was, “What is the date of death that was inscribed onto Rachel’s Memorial Tombstone in 1999?” CJ responded, “It’s the date Trevor considers the anniversary.” That is three days after the May 15th Charter ended

F – Trevor sailed on the “Pilgrimage Trip,” on Friday, May 26th, 2006. He dropped the wreath on the third day of the trip. That would be Sunday, May 28th 2006.

G – In doing my research to establish the time Rachel sailed from Nassau, I located a site, which supplied me the information I was seeking. The website gave me the time of sunsets for May 1997. The times listed for the last week of May were approximately 19:45 hours. The Prologue describes Rachel sailing six hours prior to the Mayday radio message. My research indicates she sailed at approximately 19:45 hours on Tuesday, May 27th, 1997. This would establish the time of the Mayday around 01:45 hours the following day.

H – Based on all my research this is what I believe happened. The Ares docked in Nassau on Sunday May 25th, 1997. Between that event and the Mayday transmission on Wednesday, May 28th, 1997, the following took place. Shortly after dropping off her passengers Rachel sailed for home. There is no weather information available to me. These calculations are based on the speed Trevor established for the Ares in Chapter 69. Trevor stated she could travel at 14 knots using her engines. I have estimated the distance as being approximately 250 miles. Dividing the distance by the speed of the Ares comes up with an answer of approximately 18 hours. I believe Rachel arrived in Fort Pierce aboard the Ares. At some later time she sailed from Fort Pierce aboard the Atlantis. Eventually she arrived in Nassau. I do not know what time she arrived in Nassau. I do know that it had to be prior to 19:45 hours on Tuesday May 27th, 1997. That is the time I calculated to match the statements given by the Narrator, in the Prologue. During the trip from Fort Pierce to Nassau, I believe she jettisoned the flotsam, which was found by Bridget. During the time Rachel was at Fort Pierce, I believe she changed the displayed name of the Ares to Atlantis. Any identifiable gear belonging to the Atlantis would have been placed aboard the renamed Ares. Likewise any Ares gear would go onto the vessel she was departing in. The Ares Zodiac was part of that gear. As to whether or not, the observable name on the vessel she was returning to Nassau in, was changed is unknown to me. My personal opinion is no. When Rachel sailed from Nassau, as the last rays of sunset glittered off the calm, azure seas, as was described in the Prologue by the Narrator, she was aboard the original Atlantis. I do not know where she went. I seriously doubt she went anywhere near the Bimini Islands. Rachel was listed on the vessel’s documents as the owner. Those papers identified the boat by the Registration Number, not by name. She would have had no problem selling the boat.

Well Benji, that’s all. Please look it over and give me feedback, please.

Marty

Edited by MartyS
  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this thread!

I largely must recuse myself though, because there is a rumor going around that I actually might know the details of the plot. (odd, that I'm actually accused of knowing something... I'm more often accused of knowing nothing). :ph34r:

However, I can help with some of the details... The weather on may 28th, 1997, was indeed calm, with some light breezes. Just a typical June day for the Bahamas.

I can also confirm that the water in the area was indeed wet. 0:)

Hi Benji,

The main reason I wanted to start a new topic was to get away from the old Topic, which referred to a specific chapter. We can use this one until the end of the story. As long as we make entries, it will stay close to the top of the listing.

First I am going to list items, which I believe we both agree on. Then go on to others. We can kick them around. Once you have gone over the latter ones, I look forward to your input,

1 – Rachel and Dirk purchased the Ares from Arnold, without Bridget being aware of it. Bridget learned of the sale and murdered Arnold. Bridget could not stop Rachel and Dirk from taking possession of the Ares. I believe Bridget murdered Arnold not for the sale, but because he hid money from their impending divorce from her.

2 – Rachel started and ran a charter service. While she was doing this, Bridget recruited Rachel to transport money for the purpose of laundering it. It would not surprise me, if some of the money being made legal, belonged to Rachel. Not real sure if Rachel was running a drug/money operation, maybe she just offered to Bridget's customers charters to those that were doing such.

3 – After Rachel became involved in this activity, Bridget notified the authorities about her breaking the law. Rachel later learned she was the subject of an investigation. I do believe Rachel was informed somehow that she was being investigated, I also believe that she discovered by whom and why after discovering information left by Arnold.

4 – Rachel had found documents hidden aboard the Ares by Arnold. When she read them, Rachel learned Bridget was involved with smuggling drugs for the Colombian Cartel. Yep, that is my take on it!

5 – Rachel knew she had to disappear permanently. To protect her family, especially Trevor.

BENJI: YOU AND I MAY NOT AGREE AS TO WHY SHE HAD TO.

6 – Rachel and Dirk entered into a criminal conspiracy to fake her death. Rachel knew she couldn’t just disappear. The two of them worked out a plan. Rachel would be underway sailing in the Bahamas. A brief radio Mayday would be broadcast. Some identifiable debris would be dropped into the water, in the reported area. But I agree here.

7 - Rachel knew Bridget wanted to regain possession of the Ares. If the Atlantis were used as the reported missing vessel, the Ares would still be available for Bridget to get control of. Bridget knew Dirk could not go to sea and would have no reason to keep the Ares. That is also true, as we all know Bridget is convinced that Dirk murdered his wife.

8 – Rachel and Dirk had purchased another Lagoon 55 from Bridget for cash. The bill of sail identified the vessel by the Registration Number, not by name. As the seller, Bridget would know, the registered owner was Trevor. After Rachel had purchased the vessel it was named the Atlantis. Good point, yet not sure about it, I really like your idea that Rachel swapped boats though. The findings in Australia could move the plot line up a bit.

9 – Rachel and Dirk arranged to have the ownership of the Atlantis transferred to Rachel. They had planned to get divorced. They had filed and submitted the paperwork. They did not complete the court hearing. No final order was issued. Rachel prepared a will. She left the Atlantis to Trevor. Dirk would still be her husband when she was declared dead. He would take possession of all jointly owned property, thus no inheritance taxes. He would be the executor of her estate. They knew Bridget had never indicated any interest, in gaining possession of the Atlantis. The concealed papers would remain safe. Another good point here, perhaps the switch was a good idea until Bridget realized that Trevor was activity seek the wreckage that is not there, unbeknownst to either Dirk or Rachel (Yes I believe she is alive and well in Australia).

10 – Rachel sailed on a charter, which commenced on Thursday, May 15th, 1997 and was completed, as scheduled, on Sunday, May 25th, 1997 in Nassau.

BENJI, I HOPE YOU AGREE WITH ME SO FAR. IF YOU DO NOT, LET ME KNOW AND WE CAN KICK IT AROUND. NOW, ON TO THE TRICKY STUFF.

A – Rachel was in Nassau with the Ares. Yep!

B - The distance between Nassau and Fort Pierce is approximately 214 nautical miles, as the crow flies. If you factor in necessary course changes, I would guess-ta-mate the cruising distance to be approximately 250 miles. I'll submit to you nautical knowledge here, LOL!

C - I was unable to locate a site on the Internet to ascertain the daily weather conditions for May 1997. The information may be available, but I was unable to locate it. The only mention of weather in the Prologue refers to the final time Rachel sailed aboard the Ares. This was approximately six hours before the Mayday radio message was broadcast. The Prologue states, “Rachel,” sailed. There is no mention of what vessel she was on. There is no mention of her destination. As to the time of sailing, it is described. I believe there was another trip made before this final one. I address this later on. It is at this point the inconsistencies start to appear. Again I concur.

D – In Chapter 7 Trevor sails from Fort Pierce. The purpose of his trip is to search for the reported missing Ares. He wants to recover his mother’s body. Trevor sails on a Friday afternoon. His trip is well described as to the directions he sailed and his activities. It was on the third day he dropped a wreath into the water. That was to commemorate the date of his mothers reported death. This was done on Sunday, May 28th, 2006. His thoughts were described. Trevor can lie under the guidelines established. However, I find it difficult to believe, he would deliberately lie to himself. The date of his mother’s death is on her tombstone. Not sure about the death date, the coast guard could have given it a day or two after the distress call, as a time of death after not finding anything in the search. One never knows in sea searches!

E – In the Prologue, Rachel’s Memorial Service is described. The fact that an empty oaken casket was lowered into the ground is documented. In Chapter 79, Trevor describes to Shane the memorial service for Rachel. He mentions the fact that a headstone was put up. When CJ posted the announcement regarding the delay for posting Chapter 80, He included an announcement. He said that readers could post questions. He would choose one of the characters appearing in Circumnavigation to answer it. One of the questions I asked was, “What is the date of death that was inscribed onto Rachel’s Memorial Tombstone in 1999?” CJ responded, “It’s the date Trevor considers the anniversary.” That is three days after the May 15th Charter ended. Again the wily goat has not really confirmed it, yet stated that is the date Trevor believed it to be.

F – Trevor sailed on the “Pilgrimage Trip,” on Friday, May 26th, 2006. He dropped the wreath on the third day of the trip. That would be Sunday, May 28th 2006. True!

G – In doing my research to establish the time Rachel sailed from Nassau, I located a site, which supplied me the information I was seeking. The website gave me the time of sunsets for May 1997. The times listed for the last week of May were approximately 19:45 hours. The Prologue describes Rachel sailing six hours prior to the Mayday radio message. My research indicates she sailed at approximately 19:45 hours on Tuesday, May 27th, 1997. This would establish the time of the Mayday around 01:45 hours the following day. Again I acknowledge your diligence in formulating this time frame.

H – Based on all my research this is what I believe happened. The Ares docked in Nassau on Sunday May 25th, 1997. Between that event and the Mayday transmission on Wednesday, May 28th, 1997, the following took place. Shortly after dropping off her passengers Rachel sailed for home. There is no weather information available to me. These calculations are based on the speed Trevor established for the Ares in Chapter 69. Trevor stated she could travel at 14 knots using her engines. I have estimated the distance as being approximately 250 miles. Dividing the distance by the speed of the Ares comes up with an answer of approximately 18 hours. I believe Rachel arrived in Fort Pierce aboard the Ares. At some later time she sailed from Fort Pierce aboard the Atlantis. Eventually she arrived in Nassau. I do not know what time she arrived in Nassau. I do know that it had to be prior to 19:45 hours on Tuesday May 27th, 1997. That is the time I calculated to match the statements given by the Narrator, in the Prologue. During the trip from Fort Pierce to Nassau, I believe she jettisoned the flotsam, which was found by Bridget. During the time Rachel was at Fort Pierce, I believe she changed the displayed name of the Ares to Atlantis. Any identifiable gear belonging to the Atlantis would have been placed aboard the renamed Ares. Likewise any Ares gear would go onto the vessel she was departing in. The Ares Zodiac was part of that gear. As to whether or not, the observable name on the vessel she was returning to Nassau in, was changed is unknown to me. My personal opinion is no. When Rachel sailed from Nassau, as the last rays of sunset glittered off the calm, azure seas, as was described in the Prologue by the Narrator, she was aboard the original Atlantis. I do not know where she went. I seriously doubt she went anywhere near the Bimini Islands. Rachel was listed on the vessel’s documents as the owner. Those papers identified the boat by the Registration Number, not by name. She would have had no problem selling the boat. I don't believe she sold it, I think she did a circumnavigation on her own and she and the Aries are alive and well in Australia.

Well Benji, that’s all. Please look it over and give me feedback, please.

Marty

Edited by Benji

Hi Benji,

This will acknowledge I received and quickly read over your response. I am putting it aside to continue considering another aspect of Circumnavigation.

The primary thought in my mind at present is, “CJ must be sitting in his hideaway saying, “The two of them must have hacked my computer and read my plot outline.” He might also be thinking, “ How did they get to see a copy of Shane’s unpublished narrative “Trevor’s Tribulations.” Then reality kicks in. Maybe he is saying, “Hot damn, those two dummies are the direct descendents of Inspector Clouseau.”

I am sure you have considered the position we are both in. When all is finally revealed, we will be either bona fide members of the “Baker Street Irregulars,” or the clones of “Inspector Lestrade.” It is one thing to read a mystery and defeat the author by solving it anonymously sitting in our armchairs. This can lead to feeling all warm and cuddly, but no one else knows. When you step up into the fray, unfurl and hoist your Battle Ensigns and fire a broadside of conclusions, you are no longer sitting on the sidelines. Well like they say, “No Guts, No Glory.”

I did have one reservation about publicly entering the Forum and posting my conclusions. I have corresponded with CJ using both PM and emails. I privately brought to his attention several items I felt he needed to consider. He has acknowledged my observations were worthy of consideration and has used some of them to modify the story. One thing for sure. He never let slip any undisclosed information to help me solve the mystery. I do admit he did give me something to help me in my tracking down the solution. He explained how to construct a successful theoretical, “Who done it.” In real life I never had to unravel a convoluted mystery. Stupid, greedy people commit the majority of crimes. Most homicides are simple affairs. They occur accidentally without any pre-planning. When the police or the first person arrive at the scene, the “Perp,” is sitting there crying or has just left, probably leaving his wallet lying on the floor.

Anyway back to my reservation about publicly posting my conclusions. I gave this serious consideration. My thought process went as follows:

I post my opinion that a certain thing occurred;

CJ reads the post;

I am correct in my deduction;

CJ puts on his thinking cap;

CJ then modifies the plot;

I am left with egg on my face.

I knew this was possible, but was it probable? I knew from reading the Forum Posts, CJ had slid into a negative position posting the story. This was not a story he written and completed. He had not turned over the finished manuscript to the Webmaster (or whoever) with instructions to post one chapter a week. It took me a while to consider this. While I was an avid fan of his, what did I know about him? I had two sources to use in evaluating his probable actions. The Forum and the private communications we had exchanged. In his Forum postings he had readily admitted to screwing up. Early on in our exchange of PMs and emails he did the same. I made the decision to post. I really felt, if there was egg on my face, it would only be there, if my published conclusions were incorrect.

I am putting aside your response to my original posting. I want to see what a detailed study of your responses generates in my mind. One thing I have to mention, before I continue. The method you used to insert your responses to my posting is great. It certainly will be easy to consider your input.

There is something that has been banging around in my head. I do not recall anyone really examining this subject before. It is part of the foundation upon which this story is based. Unfortunately it is pretty much glossed over and only mentioned, never examined. An established fact is Dirk and Rachel had decided to get divorced. In order to submit the paperwork to a court, there must have been extensive discussions between them. My understanding is, they were unable to agree to the division of property and were submitting the matter to a judge for a decision.

1 – First let us examine the money and/or valuable real property. There is the legitimate business, the chandlery. There is a residence, two boats and whatever else they jointly own. I am not an attorney. I have a fair understanding of criminal law and associated procedure. When it comes to civil law I am lost.. I think I am safe to say at this point, that as a married couple everything Dirk and Rachel owned, that was acquired since they married is community property. Unless, there was a written agreement establishing otherwise, it was all in one pot, so to speak.

2 – There is a comment in the prologue that Rachel would run the charter business and Dirk the chandlery. My impression overall is, the two of them were joined together in all business matters.

3 – Rachel and Dirk both knew one absolute fact. It was her ideas and her actions, pushing him, which enhanced their financial situation.

4 – If you read the Prologue with a more jaundiced view, like I have, a different conclusion can be easily arrived at. I believe that Rachel did not view it as a true financial partnership. It clearly says, “It was easy money and Rachel knew she would need it…” There are two features about that sentence I would like to bring to your attention. It is Rachel, not Rachel and Dirk is going to need it. The next item is not as obvious. I bring to your attention the “…” that ends both the sentence and paragraph. Unless CJ, his computers writing program, all members of his Crew goofed, that is not a typo. It is my understanding writers use this to indicate an incomplete thought or curtailed statement.

5 – In a previous post I had given my evaluation of Rachel. I am repeating it now. “I would describe Rachel as a driven, self-centered, conniving, individual. I do not think there is much difference between her and Bridget. Agreed, Bridget has more experience under her belt and has certainly demonstrated the depths she will sink to, to gain her objective. I think of Rachel as a “Wanabe Bridget. Whether Rachel can, “Walk the Walk,” remains to be seen.”

6 – My opinion regarding Dirk is not negative. The chandlery appears to be making money. There is no doubt in my mind he truly loves Trevor. He does not appear to spoil him and does his best to guide him. A good example is the restriction on the satellite phone. I do not think he is able to communicate effectively with Trevor. I may be judging him unfairly with this. For sure, at least since May 1997, he has had a lot on his mind. Trevor has stated he attempted to raise his sexuality with Dirk three times. Dirk must have responded strongly. Trevor believes his father rejects him because he is gay. Nothing Dirk has said indicates, to me, Dirk has any suspicion regarding Trevor’s choice of bed partners. Next, consider Dirk’s actions regarding his association with Jim. Dirk has never even mentioned Jim to Trevor, let alone introduced them. Dirk makes frequent trips to meet Jim and lies to Trevor about them. Dirk’s apparent reaction to Trevor’s attempts to “Come Out,” is interesting. Dirk appears to be erecting a defense around himself. It would be very easy for me to conclude that Dirk is gay. One thing stops me. CJ loves to set up his readers. He feeds them little ambiguous hints. Inserts random, but possibly related information and actions. He allows them to commit themselves. Then and only then, does he pull the rug out from beneath them. Then what does he do? He sits back, with a “$hit eatin grin on his face and say, “But I never said that!”

7 – Does Rachel love Dirk? Did Rachel ever love Dirk? Does Rachel love Trevor? Did she ever love Trevor? Any attempt to answer any of these questions is at best difficult. There is only one instance where Rachel has demonstrated any sign of feeling, to the best of my recollection. In the Prologue there is mention of a tear in her eye, when she recalls her last contact with Trevor, prior to departing to leave on the charter.

I am going to be guided by the one person appearing so far in this story, Dirk. He would be the best to speak on Rachel. Dirk does not discuss Rachel, at least with Trevor. Is she alive? I do not know. If she is deceased, it could not be as a direct result of the circumstances occurring in May 1997. Dirk is primarily worried about the expiration of several Statutes of Limitations. Could she have died in the intervening years? Possible, but unlikely. People like her seem to have the Devil’s Own Luck.

Returning to Dirk’s various comments. Not all of the conversations between Dirk and Jim are published. Dirk very well might have told Jim a lot about Rachel. Jim knows she didn’t die. Those conversations could not appear in the story.

However, what does appear can be used as a guide. To summarize and analyze Jim’s dialogue with Dirk, regarding Trevor’s reaction to the events of May 1997 is enlightening. He is attempting to convince Dirk that Trevor will eventually forgive him for the deception. The conversation does not cease at that point. Think about that. Agreed, nothing said by anyone in the story can directly indicate Rachel is alive. This has not occurred. OK! Jim could lie to Dirk and vica versa. This conversation could only take place if, Jim lied to Dirk, Dirk lied to Jim, both of them knew the other was lying, and permitted the conversation to continue. Sorry, that would be ludicrous.

Let me back up a bit. Until Henry told Dirk and Jim, Joel was not with Trevor, they believed he would be there to help Trevor over the bumps, when he learned about the deception. They were depending on Joel to help. I do not believe that Dirk thinks Rachel will be of any assistance. The only reasons I can think of are: She is not there; She is not interested in doing so; and last but not least, Trevor will reject her. I do not have a good answer to any of these questions. One item is still hanging out there unclear to me. Before everything blew up, Dirk attempted to convince Trevor, to take a trip to Australia, in December

8 – Bridget has had several conversations with George. I do not have any recollection she knew about the divorce being planned by Dirk And Rachel.

9 – There was a planned divorce. The papers Trevor found and comments made by Sergeant Gonzalez verify that. I think Rachel learned about the fact she was the subject of an investigation, after the divorce papers were filed with the court. It makes no sense to file those if she had already planned the disappearance.

10 – I think the hang-up with the division of monies is simple. Rachel believed the money gained through the operation of the charter business belonged to her.

11 – It is very possible that Dirk owes Bridget a big thank you. It is both our opinions that Rachel and Dirk planned the disappearance of the Ares and Rachel. Only two credible theories have been advanced to explain the possible sinking. The first by Ares being struck by a much larger vessel. The second theory is a bomb had destroyed the Ares. If the first were true, Sergeant Gonzalez would have no jurisdiction or authority. It would be an accident. If a bomb caused the disappearance, that would change things. The one thing that stopped Sergeant Gonzalez from proceeding with an arrest was a lack of evidence. I believe part of the plan was to deposit some debris to support the contention she had sunk. The fact that Bridget found some flotsam, supports my contention that it was. Bridget positively identified the flotsam was from the Ares. She goes on to describe the debris as having scorch marks. That is why she believes there was a bomb used. If the authorities in 1997 had that debris, Dirk would probably been convicted before the Trevor’s tenth birthday. Rachel dropped of the debris. Dirk should have known that was part of the plan. I do not think he knew about the scorch marks. Rachel must have prepared the wreckage. So Benji, do you still think Rachel has mother love for her son? Let me examine this from a different point of view. The plan starts with Rachel. She has already squirreled a nice sum of money. She sets up the disappearance with Dirk, her co-conspirator in falsifying bank records. She convinces him to commit several other offenses, in order to get the plan in motion. Then she plans and executes the double-cross. She is in the clear with a boat worth approximately a quarter of a million dollars. (Those figures come from a statement by Sergeant Gonzalez.) She is free and clear. Nobody is looking for her. Eventually the Statute of Limitations will expire on all crimes she committed. If Dirk was convicted and executed, well ain’t that to bad. If he was given a life sentence, she might hope he gets a handsome,gentle roommate. His only defense to the murder charge would be to explain the planned disappearance. He would have had to admit to the other offenses; he is presently awaiting the expiration of the Statute of Limitations on. In order to get a conviction for murder, Rachel would have to be declared dead. There go the charges against her out the door. If he were executed, his estate would have been placed in trust for Trevor. Whatever remained after attorney’s fees defending him against the charge of murder and assorted other offenses.

Benji, on second thought, I think, Rachel might be able to teach Bridget some new tricks.

Well Benji, there you have it. I am real looking forward to your comments.

Marty

Wow! :2thumbs:

I can at this point only add one item; a concern to allay. I hereby promise that I will not alter the plot to pull the rug out from anyone. That, to my mind, would be cheating. The goal of the author is to leave enough clues so that the mystery CAN be figured out. Changing the plot, or major aspects, in mid-game would be woefully unfair. It would also defeat the purpose of writing a mystery. :)

One aspect of Circumnavigation I'll mention. Some of the plot issues are intentionally tricky. For example, many things can be read two or more ways, and are designed to show certain conclusions based on what is in the reader's mind. Also, some things are tricky in a different way; solving one part correctly is likely to lead to incorrect assumptions elsewhere.

There are aspects of the plot (small details) that develop on the fly. One you know of is Shane's inability to count. I bungled the days back at Thanksgiving, which threw my days off, and then decided that I could make use of the issue for some fun; so, Shane miscounted the days. :) If it hadn't been that, there would have just been a problem with an appointment, resulting in a reschedule for Monday. If I hadn't made the goof, the appointment would have been Friday. But, nothing major (plotwise) would have changed. :) It was just a good chance for some humor, plus a chance to poke fun at me. :)

One thing I do get shocked by; when people see things in the story that just aren't there! Cliffhangers come immediately to mind. For example, when Trevor had his little pirate problem and resulting navigational inconvenience, I was accused of a cliffhanger! It was truly shocking! :blink:

Hi Benji,

This will acknowledge I received and quickly read over your response. I am putting it aside to continue considering another aspect of Circumnavigation.

The primary thought in my mind at present is, “CJ must be sitting in his hideaway saying, “The two of them must have hacked my computer and read my plot outline.” He might also be thinking, “ How did they get to see a copy of Shane’s unpublished narrative “Trevor’s Tribulations.” Then reality kicks in. Maybe he is saying, “Hot damn, those two dummies are the direct descendents of Inspector Clouseau.”

I am sure you have considered the position we are both in. When all is finally revealed, we will be either bona fide members of the “Baker Street Irregulars,” or the clones of “Inspector Lestrade.” It is one thing to read a mystery and defeat the author by solving it anonymously sitting in our armchairs. This can lead to feeling all warm and cuddly, but no one else knows. When you step up into the fray, unfurl and hoist your Battle Ensigns and fire a broadside of conclusions, you are no longer sitting on the sidelines. Well like they say, “No Guts, No Glory.”

I did have one reservation about publicly entering the Forum and posting my conclusions. I have corresponded with CJ using both PM and emails. I privately brought to his attention several items I felt he needed to consider. He has acknowledged my observations were worthy of consideration and has used some of them to modify the story. One thing for sure. He never let slip any undisclosed information to help me solve the mystery. I do admit he did give me something to help me in my tracking down the solution. He explained how to construct a successful theoretical, “Who done it.” In real life I never had to unravel a convoluted mystery. Stupid, greedy people commit the majority of crimes. Most homicides are simple affairs. They occur accidentally without any pre-planning. When the police or the first person arrive at the scene, the “Perp,” is sitting there crying or has just left, probably leaving his wallet lying on the floor.

Anyway back to my reservation about publicly posting my conclusions. I gave this serious consideration. My thought process went as follows:

I post my opinion that a certain thing occurred;

CJ reads the post;

I am correct in my deduction;

CJ puts on his thinking cap;

CJ then modifies the plot;

I am left with egg on my face.

I knew this was possible, but was it probable? I knew from reading the Forum Posts, CJ had slid into a negative position posting the story. This was not a story he written and completed. He had not turned over the finished manuscript to the Webmaster (or whoever) with instructions to post one chapter a week. It took me a while to consider this. While I was an avid fan of his, what did I know about him? I had two sources to use in evaluating his probable actions. The Forum and the private communications we had exchanged. In his Forum postings he had readily admitted to screwing up. Early on in our exchange of PMs and emails he did the same. I made the decision to post. I really felt, if there was egg on my face, it would only be there, if my published conclusions were incorrect.

I am putting aside your response to my original posting. I want to see what a detailed study of your responses generates in my mind. One thing I have to mention, before I continue. The method you used to insert your responses to my posting is great. It certainly will be easy to consider your input.

There is something that has been banging around in my head. I do not recall anyone really examining this subject before. It is part of the foundation upon which this story is based. Unfortunately it is pretty much glossed over and only mentioned, never examined. An established fact is Dirk and Rachel had decided to get divorced. In order to submit the paperwork to a court, there must have been extensive discussions between them. My understanding is, they were unable to agree to the division of property and were submitting the matter to a judge for a decision. Aha, let us put it this way, Rachel knew she could sell back the Aries to Bridget in a heartbeat. That would have solved all problems for Trevor and Dirk. What changed from divorce agreements that may or may not have been in discussion as of yet, to her and Dirk deciding to 'fake' an accident? It has to be 'discovery' of evidence that put her and her family at peril.

1 – First let us examine the money and/or valuable real property. There is the legitimate business, the chandlery. There is a residence, two boats and whatever else they jointly own. I am not an attorney. I have a fair understanding of criminal law and associated procedure. When it comes to civil law I am lost.. I think I am safe to say at this point, that as a married couple everything Dirk and Rachel owned, that was acquired since they married is community property. Unless, there was a written agreement establishing otherwise, it was all in one pot, so to speak. I am pretty sure Florida's laws are like mine here In Nevada and community property during a divorce is split up evenly. The mystery still remains though, why did Rachel hightail it without going through the divorce? Something spooked her, and I believe she feared of her life and danger for Trevor.

2 – There is a comment in the prologue that Rachel would run the charter business and Dirk the chandlery. My impression overall is, the two of them were joined together in all business matters. The marriage at this point was separated by more then business, both were seeking their own ways. Of course it did not help that Dirk was hopelessly sea sick all the time. This would make sense as Rachel won in her decision to buy the Aries and charter it out, creating a division between their marriage.

3 – Rachel and Dirk both knew one absolute fact. It was her ideas and her actions, pushing him, which enhanced their financial situation. Rachel was the idealist person here, she was able to make more money then Dirk (as evidenced in paying off the Aries before it was due and acquiring the Atlantis in full cash)

4 – If you read the Prologue with a more jaundiced view, like I have, a different conclusion can be easily arrived at. I believe that Rachel did not view it as a true financial partnership. It clearly says, “It was easy money and Rachel knew she would need it…” There are two features about that sentence I would like to bring to your attention. It is Rachel, not Rachel and Dirk is going to need it. The next item is not as obvious. I bring to your attention the “…” that ends both the sentence and paragraph. Unless CJ, his computers writing program, all members of his Crew goofed, that is not a typo. It is my understanding writers use this to indicate an incomplete thought or curtailed statement. Haha! Always blame the goat, after all he is to blame. Rachel knew she would need the money to reach her destination (Australia). Afterwards Dirk would wire her money from the insurance scam. I'm sure Dirk kept a separate account to repay the insurance company after the statutes had run out and the legal problems resolved (again the statutes of limitations)

5 – In a previous post I had given my evaluation of Rachel. I am repeating it now. “I would describe Rachel as a driven, self-centered, conniving, individual. I do not think there is much difference between her and Bridget. Agreed, Bridget has more experience under her belt and has certainly demonstrated the depths she will sink to, to gain her objective. I think of Rachel as a “Wanabe Bridget. Whether Rachel can, “Walk the Walk,” remains to be seen.” This is where we highly disagree, I view Rachel as a mother that wanted to protect her son not matter the cost. And that cost was pretending to be dead for 10 years. A callous women would not have shed a tear at remembrance of her young son's request of bringing back a sea shell before her disappearance. Nope, I believe Rachel was snagged into Bridget's web and discovered why and panicked into leading to her decision to fake her death.

6 – My opinion regarding Dirk is not negative. The chandlery appears to be making money. There is no doubt in my mind he truly loves Trevor. He does not appear to spoil him and does his best to guide him. A good example is the restriction on the satellite phone. I do not think he is able to communicate effectively with Trevor. I may be judging him unfairly with this. For sure, at least since May 1997, he has had a lot on his mind. Trevor has stated he attempted to raise his sexuality with Dirk three times. Dirk must have responded strongly. Trevor believes his father rejects him because he is gay. Nothing Dirk has said indicates, to me, Dirk has any suspicion regarding Trevor’s choice of bed partners. Next, consider Dirk’s actions regarding his association with Jim. Dirk has never even mentioned Jim to Trevor, let alone introduced them. Dirk makes frequent trips to meet Jim and lies to Trevor about them. Dirk’s apparent reaction to Trevor’s attempts to “Come Out,” is interesting. Dirk appears to be erecting a defense around himself. It would be very easy for me to conclude that Dirk is gay. One thing stops me. CJ loves to set up his readers. He feeds them little ambiguous hints. Inserts random, but possibly related information and actions. He allows them to commit themselves. Then and only then, does he pull the rug out from beneath them. Then what does he do? He sits back, with a “$hit eatin grin on his face and say, “But I never said that!” Nope Dirk and Jim are definitely gay lovers. Both Trevor and Dirk are hard headed, yet what one of them hears is not what the other one is actually saying. Dirk looks at Trevor and thinks he is too obsessed with Atlantis and it is not normal, wants him to live as a normal teen. Trevor tried to come out to his hard headed dad, but Dirk did not get it, so it is a contention between the two. Remember the exchange in the Chanderly? Dirk said 'Oh shit, he knows that too' (referring to both the gay and divorce papers).

7 – Does Rachel love Dirk? Did Rachel ever love Dirk? Does Rachel love Trevor? Did she ever love Trevor? Any attempt to answer any of these questions is at best difficult. There is only one instance where Rachel has demonstrated any sign of feeling, to the best of my recollection. In the Prologue there is mention of a tear in her eye, when she recalls her last contact with Trevor, prior to departing to leave on the charter. As far as Rachel loving Dirk, IDK, but there had to be a big connection between her and Trevor to last this long. A mothers sacrifice of this magnitude is enormous and at a very great cost to both mother and son. (note, CJ usually only has one 'bad guy' in his stories, so I'm betting that Rachel is not one of them)

I am going to be guided by the one person appearing so far in this story, Dirk. He would be the best to speak on Rachel. Dirk does not discuss Rachel, at least with Trevor. Is she alive? I do not know. If she is deceased, it could not be as a direct result of the circumstances occurring in May 1997. Dirk is primarily worried about the expiration of several Statutes of Limitations. Could she have died in the intervening years? Possible, but unlikely. People like her seem to have the Devil’s Own Luck.

I am pretty sure that Dirk is apprised of Rachel's status and that she is still alive and well in Australia. Why did he suggest Trevor visit his relatives there in December?

Returning to Dirk’s various comments. Not all of the conversations between Dirk and Jim are published. Dirk very well might have told Jim a lot about Rachel. Jim knows she didn’t die. Those conversations could not appear in the story. Nope, cannot until the date of December 17th, as it was Dirk told his lover only because he was forced too in escaping the police raid on Jim's house. (well not a raid, but close)

However, what does appear can be used as a guide. To summarize and analyze Jim’s dialogue with Dirk, regarding Trevor’s reaction to the events of May 1997 is enlightening. He is attempting to convince Dirk that Trevor will eventually forgive him for the deception. The conversation does not cease at that point. Think about that. Agreed, nothing said by anyone in the story can directly indicate Rachel is alive. This has not occurred. OK! Jim could lie to Dirk and vica versa. This conversation could only take place if, Jim lied to Dirk, Dirk lied to Jim, both of them knew the other was lying, and permitted the conversation to continue. Sorry, that would be ludicrous. True, but what did they tell the lawyer and P.I?

Let me back up a bit. Until Henry told Dirk and Jim, Joel was not with Trevor, they believed he would be there to help Trevor over the bumps, when he learned about the deception. They were depending on JNooel to help. I do not believe that Dirk thinks Rachel will be of any assistance. The only reasons I can think of are: She is not there; She is not interested in doing so; and last but not least, Trevor will reject her. I do not have a good answer to any of these questions. One item is still hanging out there unclear to me. Before everything blew up, Dirk attempted to convince Trevor, to take a trip to Australia, in December Not sure if the statues of limitations are broken by the participating parties engaging in conversation or not. I mean how far does lawyer client/P.I extend here? And does it extend into knowing families in Australia?

8 – Bridget has had several conversations with George. I do not have any recollection she knew about the divorce being planned by Dirk And Rachel. I'm sure she did have that knowledge of the up-coming divorce, Arnold was a lawyer after all.

9 – There was a planned divorce. The papers Trevor found and comments made by Sergeant Gonzalez verify that. I think Rachel learned about the fact she was the subject of an investigation, after the divorce papers were filed with the court. It makes no sense to file those if she had already planned the disappearance. I do not think the divorce had any thing to do with the disappearance. I truly think prior to the mess Rachel found herself in, that she planned to divorce and take Trevor and her self to Australia. She wanted to protect Trevor at all costs.

10 – I think the hang-up with the division of monies is simple. Rachel believed the money gained through the operation of the charter business belonged to her. As she stated in the prologue, the money was something she needed.Obviously meaning a dire straits for her.

11 – It is very possible that Dirk owes Bridget a big thank you. It is both our opinions that Rachel and Dirk planned the disappearance of the Ares and Rachel. Only two credible theories have been advanced to explain the possible sinking. The first by Ares being struck by a much larger vessel. The second theory is a bomb had destroyed the Ares. If the first were true, Sergeant Gonzalez would have no jurisdiction or authority. It would be an accident. If a bomb caused the disappearance, that would change things. The one thing that stopped Sergeant Gonzalez from proceeding with an arrest was a lack of evidence. I believe part of the plan was to deposit some debris to support the contention she had sunk. The fact that Bridget found some flotsam, supports my contention that it was. Bridget positively identified the flotsam was from the Ares. She goes on to describe the debris as having scorch marks. That is why she believes there was a bomb used. If the authorities in 1997 had that debris, Dirk would probably been convicted before the Trevor’s tenth birthday. Rachel dropped of the debris. Dirk should have known that was part of the plan. I do not think he knew about the scorch marks. Rachel must have prepared the wreckage. So Benji, do you still think Rachel has mother love for her son? Let me examine this from a different point of view. The plan starts with Rachel. She has already squirreled a nice sum of money. She sets up the disappearance with Dirk, her co-conspirator in falsifying bank records. She convinces him to commit several other offenses, in order to get the plan in motion. Then she plans and executes the double-cross. She is in the clear with a boat worth approximately a quarter of a million dollars. (Those figures come from a statement by Sergeant Gonzalez.) She is free and clear. Nobody is looking for her. Eventually the Statute of Limitations will expire on all crimes she committed. If Dirk was convicted and executed, well ain’t that to bad. If he was given a life sentence, she might hope he gets a handsome,gentle roommate. His only defense to the murder charge would be to explain the planned disappearance. He would have had to admit to the other offenses; he is presently awaiting the expiration of the Statute of Limitations on. In order to get a conviction for murder, Rachel would have to be declared dead. There go the charges against her out the door. If he were executed, his estate would have been placed in trust for Trevor. Whatever remained after attorney’s fees defending him against the charge of murder and assorted other offenses. Sorry, your wicked witch of the west has no standing here. Rachel has not shown to be other then a concerned mother in the prologue, which is all we got out of her. The goat has already presented us with the protagonists, and in all his stories it never veriered from the originals. Therefore to introduce a new villain at this stage of the story is a new twist to his stories, and not likely. The two absent characters are Rachel and Julie at this point.

Benji, on second thought, I think, Rachel might be able to teach Bridget some new tricks.

Well Benji, there you have it. I am real looking forward to your comments.

Marty

One more bit I can comment on:

Unless CJ, his computers writing program, all members of his Crew goofed, that is not a typo. It is my understanding writers use this to indicate an incomplete thought or curtailed statement.

I am the king of typos, but that's not one of 'em. :) I use the ellipsis in two ways; in dialog, it means a pause, a hesitation, or words trailing off. At the end of dialog, it can mean (if so, it will be said in the narrative) the the conversation continued but we don't see it. Usually, it's so I can summarize what would be a long, boring conversation rehashing things we already know. In narration, as quoted, it's as you say, and unfinished/curtailed statement.

One more bit I can comment on:

I am the king of typos, but that's not one of 'em. :) I use the ellipsis in two ways; in dialog, it means a pause, a hesitation, or words trailing off. At the end of dialog, it can mean (if so, it will be said in the narrative) the the conversation continued but we don't see it. Usually, it's so I can summarize what would be a long, boring conversation rehashing things we already know. In narration, as quoted, it's as you say, and unfinished/curtailed statement.

Thank you, CJ, for a very clear explaination. I am almost sure I will not remember the correct name. I will probably call it, "the thee little dots."

Hi Benji,

In this post I only reply to items I feel need to be responded to. We do not agree on some of my deductions. But, I believe we are mostly in agreement.

I am going to do my best to follow the primary rule of Brainstorming. Many people do not understand it. Once they grasp the primary concept, they generally use it effectively. Unfortunately others refuse to use it. They believe have to argue. Many feel they have to convince others they are right. They refuse to abide by the primary rule, “Don’t Criticize.” The secondary concept of, “Use the ideas other people have, to develop your own conclusions,” is alien to them. Their own most important rule is often, “My Way or Take the Highway.” I believe an investigator should always be ready to, “think outside the box. OK. I promise, no more preaching.

1 – Rachel and Dirk purchased the Ares from Arnold, without Bridget being aware of it. Bridget learned of the sale and murdered Arnold. Bridget could not stop Rachel and Dirk from taking possession of the Ares. I believe Bridget murdered Arnold not for the sale, but because he hid money from their impending divorce from her.

I agree.

It was after I posted this, I realized I had not been broad enough in describing Bridget’s reason for killing Arnold.

5 – Rachel knew she had to disappear permanently. To protect her family, especially Trevor.

It is my belief Rachel thinks of herself primarily.

8 – Rachel and Dirk had purchased another Lagoon 55 from Bridget for cash. The bill of sail identified the vessel by the Registration Number, not by name. As the seller, Bridget would know, the registered owner was Trevor. After Rachel had purchased the vessel it was named the Atlantis. Good point, yet not sure about it, I really like your idea that Rachel swapped boats though. The findings in Australia could move the plot line up a bit.

You use the word, “findings.” I am not certain, I understand what you are referring to.

D – In Chapter 7 Trevor sails from Fort Pierce. The purpose of his trip is to search for the reported missing Ares. He wants to recover his mother’s body. Trevor sails on a Friday afternoon. His trip is well described as to the directions he sailed and his activities. It was on the third day he dropped a wreath into the water. That was to commemorate the date of his mothers reported death. This was done on Sunday, May 28th, 2006. His thoughts were described. Trevor can lie under the guidelines established. However, I find it difficult to believe, he would deliberately lie to himself. The date of his mother’s death is on her tombstone. Not sure about the death date, the coast guard could have given it a day or two after the distress call, as a time of death after not finding anything in the search. One never knows in sea searches!

I posted this calendar a while back. It is for May 2006. It may assist you in organizing the information. I damn near screwed up big time using it. When I put together Paragraph “H” of this posting, I used this calendar to determine, which days of the week, the May 15th and May 25th, 1997 were on. Lucky for me I spotted it when I was proofreading. I had to look at a May 1997 calendar to get the correct days of the week.

Orange Highlighting = Historial reference to May 15th 1997 Charter

Blue Highlighting 19 thru 21 = Charter trip with 3 females.

Blue Highlighting 26 thru 29 = Pilgrimage Trip

Brown Highlighting = Trevor’s last day of school.

Posted Image

Keep in mind one thing. The reported location is in “Bahamian Territorial waters. The US Coast Guard probably became involved. They would not be the primary agency responsible for conducting the search or an investigation. It is my understanding the USCG can conduct an investigation of US Flagged Vessels, in the waters claimed by another country. There must be some limitations imposed on them. In Chapter 80, Trevor tells Shane, the USCG went to their home to make the Official Notification. Based on Trevor’s comments, I was unable to determine if they were doing so; as a courtesy to assist the Bahamian CG by making a notification, officially assisting the BCG in their investigation or as part of their own investigation. However, Trevor does mention Dirk, was hitting the bottle, while talking to the USCG personnel. My gut reaction to that is, they were providing the BCG a courtesy. If they were conducting an investigation “Gin,” would not be involved. I doubt Dirk would be drinking alcohol if they had read him a Miranda Warning

Paragraph

H – Based on all my research

I don't believe she sold it, I think she did a circumnavigation on her own and she and the Aries are alive and well in Australia.

I did not copy and paste my entire original post. I did copy/paste your response. There is something to be said for this. I will not disagree with you. However, I will not agree with you either. I am unable to find any information which supports your opinion. To the best of my recollection, the following is the only time, anything appeared, which could be considered.

This excerpt is from the Chapter 61. Trevor has just met Ned. This is a small portion of their conversation.

Ned laughed and climbed onto the deck, where he shook Trevor’s hand. “It’s a small town and the marina is even smaller. Yeah, it’s a safe bet most folk you’ll meet will know by now, especially if they have anything to do with boating. Hell, you’d be the talk of the town just for singlehanding your boat across the Indian Ocean, even without pirates and jury rigs.

Thanks Benji, for your input.

Marty

Edited by MartyS

You use the word, “findings.” I am not certain, I understand what you are referring to.

I wasn't clear here, I meant I liked your theory of a boat swap, the finding of Arnold's incriminating evidence against Bridget and the cartel, 'found' by Ned. This would speed up the story considerably.

I wasn't clear here, I meant I liked your theory of a boat swap, the finding of Arnold's incriminating evidence against Bridget and the cartel, 'found' by Ned. This would speed up the story considerably

Hi Benji,

Thank you for the quick reply. I thought that was what you were referring to. Chapter 80 ended sometime around noon on Friday, Dec 1st. Maybe CJ will pass over the remainder of the Friday and Saturday. If the story starts out with them underway to Carnarvon, that would be nice. I sure hope someone or something, throws a monkeywrench into their plans to set sail for Florida. I have sincere doubts, the Kookaburra will head for Florida. My reasoning is right from CJ himself. He has responded to several posts recently about how many chapters are there to go. He doesn't sound like he expects to hit 100 chapters.

Right now I am working on a post for you. Your belief that both Rachel and the Original Atlantis are in Australia, is what started me thinking. Damn problem is I cannot find any evidence to support the theory. Only CJs little nudges about a POSSIBLE American influence being present in Carnarvon so far.

One thing for sure will start the landslide moving. If we are correct in our prediction about Ned finding those hidden papers, it will be the beginning of the end. If they are found, I hope Sanchez finds out about what they contain. Maybe he will figure out that Bridget either knew or suspected they were there. That is the only way I can think of, to get rid of her and her lover. I hope Gonzalez does not get the evidence to file a case on the two of them. If he does, it will wreck both Lisa and Joel. Better if Sanchez sends them on a short cruise on the Sea Witch. The cruise can end when their boat converts from a cabin cruiser into floating debris.

Have a nice weekend.

Marty

Hi Benji,

Thank you for the quick reply. I thought that was what you were referring to. Chapter 80 ended sometime around noon on Friday, Dec 1st. Maybe CJ will pass over the remainder of the Friday and Saturday. If the story starts out with them underway to Carnarvon, that would be nice. I sure hope someone or something, throws a monkeywrench into their plans to set sail for Florida. I have sincere doubts, the Kookaburra will head for Florida. My reasoning is right from CJ himself. He has responded to several posts recently about how many chapters are there to go. He doesn't sound like he expects to hit 100 chapters. With that ending in the last chapter with Shane and Trevor holding hands and looking into each others eyes, I doubt the goat will skip a couple days, nah, he will either milk this or throw away the pretense. Either way, the next couple of chapters will at least half deal with Trevor and Shane. Half deal, means that something is going to happen back in Florida, or worse yet with Sanchez, the story is going to break once the reporter spots Trevor. Then they will need the Kookaburra to escape the attention, whether they take the southern route around South America may take the heat off of Trevor from Sanchez's task as going thru the Panama canal is Sanchez's home turf.

Right now I am working on a post for you. Your belief that both Rachel and the Original Atlantis are in Australia, is what started me thinking. Damn problem is I cannot find any evidence to support the theory. Only CJs little nudges about a POSSIBLE American influence being present in Carnarvon so far. Dirk's prompting of Trevor going to Australia during the Christmas break, (after the statutes of limitations) and his almost blurt out that the Aries was not where Trevor seeks her made me believe that Rachel was indeed in Australia, bidding out the time period needed. This makes me think that Trevor will not take the Kookaburra out to Florida, but instead flee with Shane to the interior of The Aussie backlands. While they wait out the drama.

One thing for sure will start the landslide moving. If we are correct in our prediction about Ned finding those hidden papers, it will be the beginning of the end. If they are found, I hope Sanchez finds out about what they contain. Maybe he will figure out that Bridget either knew or suspected they were there. That is the only way I can think of, to get rid of her and her lover. I hope Gonzalez does not get the evidence to file a case on the two of them. If he does, it will wreck both Lisa and Joel. Better if Sanchez sends them on a short cruise on the Sea Witch. The cruise can end when their boat converts from a cabin cruiser into floating debris. That would depend of Sanchez's contacts with the US authorities which I would assume he has, who knows maybe Trevor and Shane will meet Bridget and George as they scramble for their lives around the cape of South America. :lmao:

Have a nice weekend.

You too!

Marty

Hi Benji,

I have been working on this post since last week. The entire Carlson family is all screwed up. Combined they are a mystery story even if you take away the events of May 1997.

While I was kicking things around in my head, something came to my attention. I cannot say it is important or not. The big event we are waiting for is: The Statute of Limitations to expire. The best information available appears in Chapter 54. We can only speculate what offenses Dirk committed. Frank Tittle summarizes the Statute of Limitations information. He tells Dirk all the SoL, both federal and state, have expired except three. All remaining are for violations of federal law. One of them he describes. This is a violation of Internal Revenue Law. It has a six-year expiration date. The expiration date is in November 2006. The two remaining are both criminal conspiracy charges. The one has a seven-year expiration date. The other is ten years. Both of them will be completely gone by December 16th. It may only be one expires on that date, with the other on an earlier dater. I have read over both statutes. They both cover a number of different crimes. With the information available, there is no way to determine what crimes Dirk committed.

If you holdup a bank it is not difficult to establish when the SoL clock starts. With a conspiracy offense is not that simple. They can go on for years. Dirk’s, “Final Action,” on the seven year SoL, was in December 1999. This is the month Rachel’s Memorial Service was held. The one with a ten-year SoL, the clock started in December 1996. Please note, this is several months before the Mayday was broadcast. I doubt the ten-year one had anything to do with the, “Disappearance.” Rachel May/may not have been involved in that offense.

Now let us consider Rachel. We know she was under investigation by the federal government. (We disagree on what the circumstances are.) Did the government have a completed case? She disappears in May 1997. There is no way of knowing when the government ceased working on the case. She was declared dead in 1999. That should have stopped any active investigation.

Sometime after December 16th, Dirk will be giving a statement to the police. All he has to do is prove Rachel was alive after the mayday call. I believe Frank Tittle will advise him: to answer questions, tell the truth and don’t volunteer anything. He should come up smelling like roses. I have no doubt federal authorities will be notified.

I seriously doubt Dirk knows exactly where Rachel is. I am positive he has not been in touch with her. He was very, very careful not to talk to anyone, about the events in May 1997. Except to an attorney.

I do not think Rachel told Dirk about finding the papers concealed aboard the Ares. Henry may have told him about Bridget being under suspicion for the attempted bombing of Trevor’s boat in the Suez,

What about Rachel? A court made the determination of death, not a medical examiner. I have no recollection of hearing about any M.E,s, death pronouncement being reversed years later. I think a court could void that death certificate. Where does she stand concerning Statutes of Limitations? Hell, I don’t know.

At the time they bought the Ares Rachel and Dirk were operating a ship’s chandlery. Boating is damned expensive. The type of operation they are running requires keeping an expensive inventory. How did they get into the business? I don’t know. What is Dirk’s age? What is Rachel’s? Those questions are important. How much did the Ares cost? We know they had to put money into the Ares to get her ready to sell. That is before the engine problem came up. Gonzalez makes a statement regarding the amount Dirk attempted to raise the insured value to. He mentioned 250 thousand dollars. But, then again it is mentioned that Arnold wanted to sell her cheap because of his upcoming divorce.

We know nothing about Dirk’s background.

This was more or less ready to go yesterday. I held off. I wanted to see what new information became available in Chapter 81. There was a lot, but nothing affecting this post. I am going to post this now. I will then start on some comments regarding # 81.

Marty

Hi Benji,

It is my intent to limit my comments regarding Chapter 81. I will be addressing what occurred while Trev and Shane are getting out of the water.

IMHO, in the first portion of Chapter 81, CJ tried to confuse his readers. The scenario he constructed about the plaque on the transom reads great, if you depend on the written word. It is my intent to bring to your attention, a more complete understanding of the actions, taken by Trevor and Shane.

Prior to studying my analysis I would like you to do two things. First, print out this posting. Once you have done so, open the Circumnavigation page, which contains the many pictures of the Atlantis. As I go through the actions taken by Trevor and Shane, I want you to try to imagine them, in relation to what you see.

This is my disclaimer. I want to make one thing clear to you Benji. (And to all who read this.) It is not my intent or purpose to criticize or demean CJ.

In the past, If I observed what I believed to be an error, I would email CJ. In the message I would bring to his attention what I had noticed. He has publicly thanked me for bring something to his notice.

Once I have completed my critique, I intend to give my opinion as to why he created this scenario. I believe he had a very good reason for doing so. I am surprised about one thing. I do not understand how his team did not pickup on it

When you use the photographs it is difficult to determine size or dimensions. There are no people showing, which would help. As to the drawings no scale is given.

I intend to copy and paste, directly from the chapter, the portion I will be addressing. I will insert my comments regarding each action or group of associated actions. What you see here is a true Copy and Paste. I will be separating paragraphs to allow me to insert my comments.

Before I begin I would like to establish some facts. Both Trevor and Shane are in good physical shape and have excellent upper body strength. There are two facts I do not know and it is impossible for me to find out. First unknown is, where was the Zodiac when this when this was taking place? Second unknown is, where was the plaque located on the transom,

Begin Copy and Paste

Trevor, muscles rippling in the sun, kicked upwards and lunged to grab ahold of Kookaburra’s transom, sparing just a glance forward between her hulls as he pulled himself upwards, intending to return to the cockpit.

Take a look at the pictures of the stern of the Atlantis; Notice the distance between water surface and the lower edge of the transom. Then add in the distance from the lower edge of the transom to the upper edge. IMHO, The distance is more than five feet, probably closer to six. Trevor is going to leap close to six feet, straight up, starting submerged to his neck in water. Nothing solid to push from. Then he is hanging down, holding onto the edge, with his hands. I do not know where the Zodiac is. If it is hoisted on it’s davits, Trevor would be passing between the Zodiac and the transom. Look at the drawing on the Picture Page. It is not scaled. It does show you the hoisted location of the Zodiac.

A brass plaque on the left side of the transom’s aft edge caught Trevor’s eye, and he edged sideways for a look. “Atlantis has one like this, with her name and model on it,” he said, looking at the plaque with a sad smile.

At the start of this paragraph, Trevor has already grasped the uppermost edge of the transom and is hanging from his hands, Benji; I want you to do something before continuing. I want you to stand and raise your arms straight up. Then walk over to a wall. Place your hands and body flat against it, facing the wall. . Now look to your left. What do you see? All I saw when I did this, was the inside of my arm, not the wall beyond it.

Shane scrambled up beside Trevor, putting one hand on Trevor’s shoulder and hanging on to the deck edge with the other and he leaned in and read from the plaque. “Kookaburra, Lagoon 57, launched April 22nd, 1996,” Shane said softly.

Shane scrambled up beside Trevor. I would not describe what Trevor did as scrambling. The only way I can see a person scrambling from the water, to the height of the transom, would be to use the steps, which are formed into the stern of the Port Catamaran. I do not know how far out on the transom Trevor is hanging. If Shane is alongside Trevor’s left side, I suspect he would be covering the plaque. Why would he be hanging by one hand if he scrambled up the steps? If he left the steps to hang alongside Trevor, how close was he to Trev? If he was not close enough to cover the plaque with his body, how could he reach Trevor’s shoulder with his hand?

Trevor, always interested in all things related to Lagoon catamarans, reached out to tap the plaque’s lower right corner. “JeanneauTechniques Avancées. That’s the builder, same yard that built Atlantis and Ares, and Atlantis’s plaque didn’t have that. Atlantis was renamed by my mother – it’s normal for a new owner to want to name their boat – so she had a new plaque made. When it’s got the builder’s name and insignia on it like this, it means the owner ordered it new from the builder, and the builder made the plaque,” Trevor said, idly tracing his finger on the brass, coming to some smaller engraved print, ‘FR-CNB5703D996’. Trevor smiled, remembering being taught how to read the code. “The ‘FR-CNB’ part of the serial number means she was built at the Lagoon factory in France… Atlantis’s serial number starts with FR-JTA, so I guess they changed that for the 57’s, which I think might have been built at a different yard there, some of ‘em anyway. The ‘5703’ means she’s the third Lagoon 57 built, the ‘D’ is the fourth letter of the alphabet so that’s the fourth month of the year, April, and the 996 means she was competed in 1996, which was the first year they made the 57s.”

Both of them are hanging by one had. Trevor is using his right hand to hold on. Shane is using his left. At least they are using their dominant hand. While hanging there, one handed, Trevor starts to teach Shane about boat plaques.

Benji, One thing was confirmed for us. Rachel knows how to order, remove and replace Builders Plaques on a Lagoon 55.

“The Blakes have had her since she was new,” Shane said, and then gave Trevor a curious look. “How the hell do you know how to read bloody serial codes like that? I think you know more about Lagoon catamarans than even the Blakes do. I love crewing, but you... you’re a captain. You like being at the helm and you know a million little details like this, and how to trim and balance the sails, all that stuff. I watched you close on the way here from Monkey Mia; I’ve crewed on a lot of boats, and you’re about the best I’ve ever seen, and don’t deny it – if you weren’t, you wouldn’t have survived to get here,” Shane said, with a touch of admiration in his voice, as he climbed up and over the rail and into the cockpit.

They continue the conversation, each hanging by one hand. Then they decide to climb up to the cockpit deck.

I have no recollection of Trevor going aboard the Atlantis, from the water, except by using the steps.

End Copy and Paste

Several theories, which have been advanced, are probably no longer viable. There has been speculation; Rachel’s Lagoon 55 after it sailed from the Bahamas, had been transformed into the Kookaburra. The information on the Kookaburra’s plaque pretty much eliminates that. From the way Trevor describes the plate it appears to be genuine. The Kookaburra was built and launched the year before the, Disappearance. The plate could be a forgery, but I wouldn’t bet the farm on it.

I believe CJ wrote this into Chapter 81 for a special reason. At present Benji, you and I believe the Atlantis and Ares were switched. I doubt we are the only readers who think that. This has been my theory for some time. I am almost willing to bet that CJ figured someone would advance our hypothesis. When he originally formed and refined the plot, he had this in mind. He had to insert it so that people snapped it up. If he had just written, “Trevor noticed the plague while claiming steps,” I know I would have said, “Why now?” “Trevor has been aboard Kookaburra for over a week.” CJ then sits down and creates a dramatic scenario. The main problem he has, as far as I am concerned is; the event as he described it is not realistic.

The only observation I would make regarding the later portion of the chapter is: on the subject of Shane going to the Bahamas with Trevor. Both the Bahamas and Australia are members of the Commonwealth of Nations. (Formerly the British Commonwealth.) If Trevor is correct in a previous statement, in another chapter, he may have some claim to Australian Citizenship. This is because of his mother’s birth.

That’s all for now

Marty

Edited by MartyS

When I read this, I had a suddenly icy feeling that SWS had appeared again.

SWS is an acronym I created, and use a lot. It means "Stupid Writer's Syndrome", and is my shorthand for when I make a stupid mistake. The fact I felt the need to create an acronym for it might give a clue as to how often I make said mistakes. :lmao:

What Marty did is what I should have done; look at the picture. Until I did so, I had a feeling I'd screwed up, bigtime.

Okay, what would be helpful here (and should have been in the chapter) is a stern-on picture of a Lagoon 57 (or a 55, as they are identical when seen from astern). Here's one, with a person in it for scale,

Posted Image

Trevor, with a simple eggbeater kick (which we've seen him do before) could easily get high enough out of the water so that water level would be his stomach. That gives him a reach above the water of over four feet, easy. As we see in the pic, that would more than suffice to reach the bottom edge of the wing, so he could do it easily. This is indeed an awkward way to get aboard, but very possible, and the sort of thing athletic guys do a lot of, just for the challenge. (kind of like getting out of a backyard pool by grabbing onto a low diving board and hauling yourself up. Makes little sense when there are easier ways, but guys do it for the heck of it.

One problem I ran into early on; this area is often different from boat to boat. Some have railings made of wood there, some have wire railings, some hang equipment bins there, some have a liferaft bin there, etc. here's a pic of a slightly different layout.

Posted Image

Also, many (like Atlantis, Ares, and Kookaburra) carry a zodiac or other skiff, and usually do so hung from davits between the sterns, further complicating that area.

So, Trevor could have kicked upward and lunged, easily grabbing a handhold on the lower edge of the wing (the transom) and then scrambling up, and hanging from the deck edge (a forearm on deck) he'd be at about eye level with the plaque area. And yep, if the Zodiac is in place (it likly is, as they haven't used it in the lagoon yet) he'd have the Zodiac behind him. He'd still fit fine, but it's something he'd be aware of, and I should have mentioned the zodiac.

All this is awkward, and he could have seen it almost as well by looking over from the starboard aft stairs.

I think it works as is, but I do regret not looking at a pic first and describing it a bit better, because as it is, it is confusing. I'll see what I can come up with, maybe an added sentance or two, to clarify it.

I'm glad you brought this up. Plus, I can't say what, exactly, but it showed me a detail change I need to make in a coming chapter, something I spotted in one of the pics I saw while looking for these. :)

CJ :)

All this is awkward, and he could have seen it almost as well by looking over from the starboard aft stairs

EEEEErrrrrrrrrr

Hi CJ,

Have you considered taking a course in basic seamanship?

OR

Now I can understand having problems with typos, But how did you type port and your posting spelled it starboard.

OR

Maybe Trevor is screwed up. Hanging on the transom, facing forward, goes left to see something that is close to the starboard stair.

Sorry CJ when I was typing this I sorta got on a roll. One after another, different ideas on how to zing you kept popping into my head

Hi Benji,

It is my intent to limit my comments regarding Chapter 81. I will be addressing what occurred while Trev and Shane are getting out of the water.

IMHO, in the first portion of Chapter 81, CJ tried to confuse his readers. The scenario he constructed about the plaque on the transom reads great, if you depend on the written word. It is my intent to bring to your attention, a more complete understanding of the actions, taken by Trevor and Shane.

Prior to studying my analysis I would like you to do two things. First, print out this posting. Once you have done so, open the Circumnavigation page, which contains the many pictures of the Atlantis. As I go through the actions taken by Trevor and Shane, I want you to try to imagine them, in relation to what you see.

This is my disclaimer. I want to make one thing clear to you Benji. (And to all who read this.) It is not my intent or purpose to criticize or demean CJ.

In the past, If I observed what I believed to be an error, I would email CJ. In the message I would bring to his attention what I had noticed. He has publicly thanked me for bring something to his notice.

Once I have completed my critique, I intend to give my opinion as to why he created this scenario. I believe he had a very good reason for doing so. I am surprised about one thing. I do not understand how his team did not pickup on it

When you use the photographs it is difficult to determine size or dimensions. There are no people showing, which would help. As to the drawings no scale is given.

I intend to copy and paste, directly from the chapter, the portion I will be addressing. I will insert my comments regarding each action or group of associated actions. What you see here is a true Copy and Paste. I will be separating paragraphs to allow me to insert my comments.

Before I begin I would like to establish some facts. Both Trevor and Shane are in good physical shape and have excellent upper body strength. There are two facts I do not know and it is impossible for me to find out. First unknown is, where was the Zodiac when this when this was taking place? Second unknown is, where was the plaque located on the transom,

Begin Copy and Paste

Trevor, muscles rippling in the sun, kicked upwards and lunged to grab ahold of Kookaburra’s transom, sparing just a glance forward between her hulls as he pulled himself upwards, intending to return to the cockpit.

Take a look at the pictures of the stern of the Atlantis; Notice the distance between water surface and the lower edge of the transom. Then add in the distance from the lower edge of the transom to the upper edge. IMHO, The distance is more than five feet, probably closer to six. Trevor is going to leap close to six feet, straight up, starting submerged to his neck in water. Nothing solid to push from. Then he is hanging down, holding onto the edge, with his hands. I do not know where the Zodiac is. If it is hoisted on it’s davits, Trevor would be passing between the Zodiac and the transom. Look at the drawing on the Picture Page. It is not scaled. It does show you the hoisted location of the Zodiac.

Definitely noticed yet the story carries through on an important point of the launch date of the Kookaburra.

A brass plaque on the left side of the transom’s aft edge caught Trevor’s eye, and he edged sideways for a look. “Atlantis has one like this, with her name and model on it,” he said, looking at the plaque with a sad smile.

At the start of this paragraph, Trevor has already grasped the uppermost edge of the transom and is hanging from his hands, Benji; I want you to do something before continuing. I want you to stand and raise your arms straight up. Then walk over to a wall. Place your hands and body flat against it, facing the wall. . Now look to your left. What do you see? All I saw when I did this, was the inside of my arm, not the wall beyond it.

Again a flub by the goat, but it does nor detract from the goal of making us all think that the Kookaburra is not what it is.

Shane scrambled up beside Trevor, putting one hand on Trevor’s shoulder and hanging on to the deck edge with the other and he leaned in and read from the plaque. “Kookaburra, Lagoon 57, launched April 22nd, 1996,” Shane said softly.

Shane scrambled up beside Trevor. I would not describe what Trevor did as scrambling. The only way I can see a person scrambling from the water, to the height of the transom, would be to use the steps, which are formed into the stern of the Port Catamaran. I do not know how far out on the transom Trevor is hanging. If Shane is alongside Trevor’s left side, I suspect he would be covering the plaque. Why would he be hanging by one hand if he scrambled up the steps? If he left the steps to hang alongside Trevor, how close was he to Trev? If he was not close enough to cover the plaque with his body, how could he reach Trevor’s shoulder with his hand?

Again I see a flub here, it happens, the story continues in the fashion we have kinda established it has.

Trevor, always interested in all things related to Lagoon catamarans, reached out to tap the plaque’s lower right corner. “JeanneauTechniques Avancées. That’s the builder, same yard that built Atlantis and Ares, and Atlantis’s plaque didn’t have that. Atlantis was renamed by my mother – it’s normal for a new owner to want to name their boat – so she had a new plaque made. When it’s got the builder’s name and insignia on it like this, it means the owner ordered it new from the builder, and the builder made the plaque,” Trevor said, idly tracing his finger on the brass, coming to some smaller engraved print, ‘FR-CNB5703D996’. Trevor smiled, remembering being taught how to read the code. “The ‘FR-CNB’ part of the serial number means she was built at the Lagoon factory in France… Atlantis’s serial number starts with FR-JTA, so I guess they changed that for the 57’s, which I think might have been built at a different yard there, some of ‘em anyway. The ‘5703’ means she’s the third Lagoon 57 built, the ‘D’ is the fourth letter of the alphabet so that’s the fourth month of the year, April, and the 996 means she was competed in 1996, which was the first year they made the 57s.”

Both of them are hanging by one had. Trevor is using his right hand to hold on. Shane is using his left. At least they are using their dominant hand. While hanging there, one handed, Trevor starts to teach Shane about boat plaques.

Benji, One thing was confirmed for us. Rachel knows how to order, remove and replace Builders Plaques on a Lagoon 55.

That is my thought too, why replace a ships plague that was 'brand new' according to Shane with another.

“The Blakes have had her since she was new,” Shane said, and then gave Trevor a curious look. “How the hell do you know how to read bloody serial codes like that? I think you know more about Lagoon catamarans than even the Blakes do. I love crewing, but you... you’re a captain. You like being at the helm and you know a million little details like this, and how to trim and balance the sails, all that stuff. I watched you close on the way here from Monkey Mia; I’ve crewed on a lot of boats, and you’re about the best I’ve ever seen, and don’t deny it – if you weren’t, you wouldn’t have survived to get here,” Shane said, with a touch of admiration in his voice, as he climbed up and over the rail and into the cockpit.

They continue the conversation, each hanging by one hand. Then they decide to climb up to the cockpit deck.

I have no recollection of Trevor going aboard the Atlantis, from the water, except by using the steps.

I don't know if that makes any difference here, here the author was just progressing the story.

End Copy and Paste

Several theories, which have been advanced, are probably no longer viable. There has been speculation; Rachel’s Lagoon 55 after it sailed from the Bahamas, had been transformed into the Kookaburra. The information on the Kookaburra’s plaque pretty much eliminates that. From the way Trevor describes the plate it appears to be genuine. The Kookaburra was built and launched the year before the, Disappearance. The plate could be a forgery, but I wouldn’t bet the farm on it.

Well, i disagree here, why would a 'new boat' require a 'new' plaque? Trevor has explained that the new plaque contained different information then the original, so why a 'new boat' bought by the Blake's need a 'new' Plaque?

I believe CJ wrote this into Chapter 81 for a special reason. At present Benji, you and I believe the Atlantis and Ares were switched. I doubt we are the only readers who think that. This has been my theory for some time. I am almost willing to bet that CJ figured someone would advance our hypothesis. When he originally formed and refined the plot, he had this in mind. He had to insert it so that people snapped it up. If he had just written, “Trevor noticed the plague while claiming steps,” I know I would have said, “Why now?” “Trevor has been aboard Kookaburra for over a week.” CJ then sits down and creates a dramatic scenario. The main problem he has, as far as I am concerned is; the event as he described it is not realistic.

The only observation I would make regarding the later portion of the chapter is: on the subject of Shane going to the Bahamas with Trevor. Both the Bahamas and Australia are members of the Commonwealth of Nations. (Formerly the British Commonwealth.) If Trevor is correct in a previous statement, in another chapter, he may have some claim to Australian Citizenship. This is because of his mother’s birth.

That’s all for now

Marty

B)................Sorry, I guess I forgot about this thread since it did not show up in the forum!

Edited by Benji

Hi Benji,

There have been a lot of things running through my mind since Chapter 81 was posted. I would like to review them with you. We are not necessarily in agreement on everything. I am going to do my best to stay away from these areas. I intend to present this the way an attorney presents an Opening Statement at a jury trial. I do not intend to provide specific links or explanations as to where this information appears in the story. If I were to do so I would still writing this when CJ finishes Circumnavigation. I am not going to attempt to be politically correct in the use of pronouns.

Synopses

Rachel and Dirk entered into a criminal conspiracy. The object of this conspiracy was to arrange for the disappearance of Rachel. The plan called for making it appear the Ares had sunk and she drowned. They must have committed several crimes in order to set this up. The conspiracy worked for over nine years without discovery. It was an established fact the boat sunk and Rachel drowned as the result. The police and Bridget believe Dirk destroyed the Ares using a bomb. The police have no physical evidence to allow them to arrest and prosecute Dirk. The conspiracy went unchallenged until Dirk learned Trevor was searching for the wreck of the Ares. You and I believe part of the conspiracy was to switch the identities of the Ares and the Atlantis.

The Chandlery

Pre 1997

Dirk and Rachel operated the chandlery. How or when the business was established in unknown. By the time 1987 arrived, they had established a fair line of credit. After the purchase of the Ares, Rachel was operating the Charter Business, while Dirk did the same with the chandlery. How much, if any, involvement Rachel had with the operation of the chandlery is unknown. Dirk could not be involved with the physical operation of the Ares.

The business operates in what would be described as a prime location. Unless the business operation depends on using the of catalogue sales, it is necessary to maintain an expensive inventory. I believe they did so. The fact that several satellite phones were in stock helps support my opinion.

Post 1997

After the disappearance of Rachel, Dirk continued to operate the business. He apparently had no employees. Trevor, at age 16, did give him some assistance. How much is unknown. Dirk apparently took his days off during the week. This would make sense. Mid-week is the slow time of the week in that business.

Dirk

He is not less than 37 years of age and most likely several years older. There is no mention of him having any relatives. Except for Trevor, none are mentioned or alluded to. Trevor, makes the only mention of family holiday activity, post May 1997. He described their Thanksgiving Dinner doings. Dirk does not come across to me as an alpha male. When faced with difficulties he does not think them through before taking action. He has admitted to committing several crimes. I believe Rachel nudged him into breaking the law. In December 1996 he started to extricate himself from his criminal activities. He wants to get out, but does not want to pay the penalty for his transgressions. He may have loved Rachel at one time. That romance was finished by the close of 1996. IMHO Rachel manipulated Dirk into marrying her. There is no question in my mind Rachel wore the pants in the family. This next item may be off the wall, but I have considered it. I have asked myself if Trevor is the result of an agreement between Rachel and Dirk. Did Dirk make that part of his price, for him to agree to the Ares and the charter business? Off the wall thought, I know. I am positive Dirk loves Trevor in the traditional way. Dirk does require him to meet certain standards. Dirk does not have a clue about Trevor’s sexual preferences. Dirk suggested Trevor take an extended holiday with a female companion. This statement, in itself, proves to me, he is not above stretching the envelope. I believe Dirk’s sexual interests are exactly as Shane describes himself in Chapter 81.

Rachel

I believe Rachel did not die as the direct result of the chronicled scenario of May 1997. I do not believe she is dead. Where she is and what she is doing is a mystery to me. I believe she is approximately the same age grouping I assigned to Dirk. She was not born in the United States. She has relatives in Australia. She evidently began her career on the water at age 12. She is well trained and very able to operate a sailboat under difficult circumstances. She has a dominant personality. She is not afraid to break the law. She is a good planner. The basic plan in the conspiracy, as understood by Dirk, survived the years. Only because of Trevor’s actions, has the chance of it becoming unraveled prematurely arisen.

Crimes

There is no question that both Rachel and Dirk broke the law. The setting up and implementing the disappearance of the Ares and Rachel was one they both conspired in. In Dirks case, there are three federal statutes, which have not reached the expiration of their Statute of Limitations. One is a violation of Internal Revenue Service laws. The Statute of Limitations on this offense is six years. This will expire in November 2006. (Seeing as the story has reached December 1st, this one has expired.) The second is a conspiracy charge with and a seven-year Statute of Limitations. This will expire in December 2006. Dirks last action with this statute must have been in December 1999. This is the same month Rachel’s Memorial Service was held. The third and final offense Dirk can be charged with also expires in December2006. It is for a violation of a federal conspiracy statute. The Statute of Limitations is ten years in length. Dirks last involvement with this statute must have been in December 1996. There is no way, based on available information, to determine, when this conspiracy commenced. As to whether Rachel was involved with this offense cannot be established.

Prior to her disappearance Rachel was involved in some sort of criminal activity. Rachel learned about the investigation of her ongoing activities. I have serious doubts that Dirk was involved in it. While it was in progress Dirk may not have even known about it. I am basing my conclusions on a fact. If he was involved, he was never arrested for it. It has been nine years since the, “Disappearance.” Rachel’s vanishing act and subsequent legal determination of death, would have stopped the investigation as far as she was concerned. If Dirk were involved they would have continued the investigation. It is possible the government did not have sufficient evidence to indict him.

At the present time Dirk is a fugitive. He has three Major Felony charges hanging over his head. There may well be other charges associated with these offenses. My interpretation of Chapter 54 is Dirk leveled with Frank Tittle. He would have explained to Frank, whatever he had been involved with, in the past. If there was any possibility Dirk would have any criminal responsibility, for being involved with the offenses, Rachel was under investigation for; Frank would have taken this into account in his summery. Either Dirk was not involved or the Statute of Limitations has already expired.

In the prologue, there is mention of Dirk and Rachel using creative claims to purchase the Ares. There is not enough information available to determine if their actions constituted an offense.

Do to the implication; “Rachel is deceased,” no information is available, for me to consider her criminal responsibility, for any of her actions. When she did her “Houdini,” did that stop the clock? Hell Benji, I don’t know. Could the government go into court and have the declaration of death reversed? This might be possible. There was fraud in obtaining the decision. Here I think case law might play a part. I am too lazy and the information not easily available for me to bother researching. If the truth be told, I don’t give a damn what happens to her. I know we disagree about Rachel. We have agreed to disagree. I am sticking with our agreement. Whatever she did or did not do, neither Trevor nor Dirk will be doing her time in jail. However, I am willing to give her credit. If she did, what I think she did, she would have incorporated this into her plans, and will probably walk out the courtroom door, whistling a happy tune.

Jim Ainsworth and Dirk.

Do they have a sexual relationship? I think yes. Benji, you can go find the following statement, if you’re interested. I know it exists, but do not recall where. In one of the conversations between Dirk and Jim that has been posted, Jim makes the following comment to Dirk, “WE haven’t had a vacation together yet.” That sounds more like something a person in a relationship would say, as opposed to what a friend would. Dirk certainly kept Trevor in the dark about Jim’s existence. Going so far as to lie. The police tracked him making regular visits to Jim’s residence. I think the observation, “The guilty flee, where no man pursues,” should be considered, in arriving at a conclusion. Dirk’s reaction to Trevor’s mentioning anything about gay’s, led Trevor to conclude, Dirk was homophobic.

Rachel’s whereabouts

I do not know where she is. It is my considered opinion; CJ would like us to believe she is in Australia. There is plenty of evidence he has interjected so far. Chapter 81 was his most recent attempt. In one chapter he attacked the disappearance of Rachel and the location of the original Atlantis. CJ knows there are those of us who believe the Ares and Atlantis identities were swapped. There isn’t much he can do to change our minds.

His absolutely tremendous portrayal of Trevor and Shane finding each other speaks for itself. There is no question, in my mind; he worked on that a long time. He knew it was going to happen, he planned it, right up front. He egged us on. Consider his starting the thread, “Poll - Shane .” The goat must have made a bet with himself. How many can I get to stick their necks out and make a public commitment? Shane did not lie to Trevor. He told him he was not gay. Shane also told him he liked girls.

CJ does a good job describing the actions of the participants in his stories. That conflicting, confusing description of Trevor and Shane’s attempts to view the plaque is laughable. His response to my critique is even better. He does his best to explain away Trevor’s ability to make the salmon-like leap. He never comments on the fact, Trevor could not have even seen the plaque, while hanging from the transom, with his arms extended. He got so confused; he screwed up port and starboard. As I said, he had a good reason for inserting that entire scenario in such a dramatic fashion. It may have been his final opportunity, to wean away from their convictions; the readers who believe the boats were swapped.

The number of times CJ has inserted little hints, clues or whatever you want to call them, connecting Rachel and Australia is interesting. He has been dangling these throughout the story. It started in Chapter 7, I think. Seventy-four chapters later, he is still trying. He has to get out of this story with some dignity remaining. So he keeps trying.

CJ inserts another Key lime pie, with unidentifiable conversations in the background, this time. Just in case someone missed it in Chapter 68. He has dug himself into deep hole with this story. Look at what he is facing with the ending of Circumnavigation. He may be able to remove the threat to Trevor, Lisa and Joel by eliminating Bridget, George and Sanchez. He is still faced with some real problems. Consider Lisa and Joel. Their activities and loose lips damn near sunk the Atlantis. Twice. Then they would be responsible for Trevor being the main attraction in a replay of the life of John the Baptist. Is Rachel in Australia? I hope not. Trevor is on a real slippery slope right now. With Shane he should make it. Now in about two weeks or so he will be hearing, from his father, the truth about what occurred in May 1997. Do you think that would be the time, on top of all his other problems, to have Rachel pop up in his face and say, “Sorry about that?”

That’s it for now Benji,

Marty

Hi Benji,

The business operates in what would be described as a prime location. Unless the business operation depends on using the of catalogue sales, it is necessary to maintain an expensive inventory. I believe they did so. The fact that several satellite phones were in stock helps support my opinion.

Awesome post!! :2thumbs:

I can comment on a couple of aspects. :)

The chandlery does indeed carry a fairly large inventory, typical for that ki9nd of a buisness, as seen in chapter 5, "The Chandlery", when Lisa, Joel, and Trevor do the inventory, as a surprise help for Dirk. (and in the process, Trev ends up discovering the divorce papers)

Dirk had no employees, except for Trevor sometimes helping out.

Dirk's family has never been mentioned. Trevor has mentioned that he might have grandparents in Australia, which is part of why he wants to find his family there. Trevor also mentioned thinking of Dirk being totally alone at this Thanksgiving, and he mentioned that Thanksgiving dinners when he was little were his mom, dad, and him, then later, Joel's family invited him and Dirk to join them. :)

At the present time Dirk is a fugitive. He has three Major Felony charges hanging over his head. There may well be other charges associated with these offenses. My interpretation of Chapter 54 is Dirk leveled with Frank Tittle. He would have explained to Frank, whatever he had been involved with, in the past.

You are correct that Dirk leveled with Frank Tittle, and Jim as well. The narrative indicates it, so it has to be. We can therefor assume that Jim and Frank (and thus Henry) know the entire story, to the limits of Dirk's knowledge.

Do to the implication; “Rachel is deceased,” no information is available, for me to consider her criminal responsibility, for any of her actions. When she did her “Houdini,” did that stop the clock? Hell Benji, I don’t know.

Hrmmm! Interesting!

When one becomes a fugitive from justice, the clock stops on the statute of limitations, not just for that crime, but any crime. That's established law. :)

We did not see all of Frank Tittle's discussions with Jim and Dirk, but this is a fact of law, so I can comment. Jim and Dirk are fugitives at the moment, which means the clock stopped on everything. As things stand now, the statute of limitations won't be expiring for Dirk on Dec 17th. Frank would certainly know this. Chapter 82 will shed a bit of light here.

CJ does a good job describing the actions of the participants in his stories. That conflicting, confusing description of Trevor and Shane’s attempts to view the plaque is laughable. His response to my critique is even better. He does his best to explain away Trevor’s ability to make the salmon-like leap. He never comments on the fact, Trevor could not have even seen the plaque, while hanging from the transom, with his arms extended. He got so confused; he screwed up port and starboard. As I said, he had a good reason for inserting that entire scenario in such a dramatic fashion. It may have been his final opportunity, to wean away from their convictions; the readers who believe the boats were swapped.

I can't get into all the details, but the leap... It's honestly not much of a leap; Trevor, who is just a hair under 6 feet tall, would have a reach of just under three feet. If you look at the stern pic, comapred to the height of the guy in it, you can see that the bottom of the transom is in the neighborhood of four and a half feet over the water. Even if five, that makes Trevor's 'leap' less than two feet, which is very easy. :)

Trevor could have seen the plaque; hanging by one hand, pointing and tapping at it with the other. :)

I did indeed screw up port and starboard in my post. But, is that so strange? How many goats do you know who can keep them straight all the time? :P

He has to get out of this story with some dignity remaining. So he keeps trying.

Me? Dignity? :lol:

CJ inserts another Key lime pie, with unidentifiable conversations in the background, this time. Just in case someone missed it in Chapter 68.

Or maybe He has dug himself into deep hole with this story. Look at what he is facing with the ending of Circumnavigation. He may be able to remove the threat to Trevor, Lisa and Joel by eliminating Bridget, George and Sanchez. He is still faced with some real problems. Consider Lisa and Joel. Their activities and loose lips damn near sunk the Atlantis. Twice. Then they would be responsible for Trevor being the main attraction in a replay of the life of John the Baptist.

Ahh, but think of it... here's one ending that wraps it all up neatly; Trevor ends up getting a neck-level trim :battleaxe: , and his head is sent to Sanchez eastbound. That completes the circumnavigation. Bridget gets Lisa and Joel sent to prison, wrapping up their storyline. Dirk and Jim end up losing their cases, and Sanchez takes care of the one remaining loose end, Shane. See? All wrapped up, nice and neat. :read:

The above may or may not be the actual ending, but the actual ending does bring it all together and take care of it all. The final chapter, plus the epilogue, were written months ago (I write out of sequence). Generally, I like to have the ending written before I start posting a story. :)

Hi Benji,

This is 4 you.

Posted Image

This is a screenshot of my Event Calendar.

I thought you might like to see how I keep track of things.

This screenshot only shows the event log since Trevor arrived in Australia.

Marty

Hi Benji,

There have been a lot of things running through my mind since Chapter 81 was posted. I would like to review them with you. We are not necessarily in agreement on everything. I am going to do my best to stay away from these areas. I intend to present this the way an attorney presents an Opening Statement at a jury trial. I do not intend to provide specific links or explanations as to where this information appears in the story. If I were to do so I would still writing this when CJ finishes Circumnavigation. I am not going to attempt to be politically correct in the use of pronouns.

Synopses

Rachel and Dirk entered into a criminal conspiracy. The object of this conspiracy was to arrange for the disappearance of Rachel. The plan called for making it appear the Ares had sunk and she drowned. They must have committed several crimes in order to set this up. The conspiracy worked for over nine years without discovery. It was an established fact the boat sunk and Rachel drowned as the result. The police and Bridget believe Dirk destroyed the Ares using a bomb. The police have no physical evidence to allow them to arrest and prosecute Dirk. The conspiracy went unchallenged until Dirk learned Trevor was searching for the wreck of the Ares. You and I believe part of the conspiracy was to switch the identities of the Ares and the Atlantis.

There is that part where Rachel left parts of her boat that Bridget picked up, did she purposely shed some skin on the Aries/Atlantis? That would give bit of credence into her rebuilding the boat back in Australia into a 57. But I'm not sure that Dirk is in more trouble in a crime then being an accomplice.

The Chandlery

Pre 1997

Dirk and Rachel operated the chandlery. How or when the business was established in unknown. By the time 1987 arrived, they had established a fair line of credit. After the purchase of the Ares, Rachel was operating the Charter Business, while Dirk did the same with the chandlery. How much, if any, involvement Rachel had with the operation of the chandlery is unknown. Dirk could not be involved with the physical operation of the Ares.

True, but kinda of pointless, the marriage was all ready gone at this point, which is why they both had different business's.

Post 1997

After the disappearance of Rachel, Dirk continued to operate the business. He apparently had no employees. Trevor, at age 16, did give him some assistance. How much is unknown. Dirk apparently took his days off during the week. This would make sense. Mid-week is the slow time of the week in that business.

Yep, Dirk's famous venture on Wednesday to a non existent 'convention' 0:)

Dirk

He is not less than 37 years of age and most likely several years older. There is no mention of him having any relatives. Except for Trevor, none are mentioned or alluded to. Trevor, makes the only mention of family holiday activity, post May 1997. He described their Thanksgiving Dinner doings. Dirk does not come across to me as an alpha male. When faced with difficulties he does not think them through before taking action. He has admitted to committing several crimes. I believe Rachel nudged him into breaking the law. In December 1996 he started to extricate himself from his criminal activities. He wants to get out, but does not want to pay the penalty for his transgressions. He may have loved Rachel at one time. That romance was finished by the close of 1996. IMHO Rachel manipulated Dirk into marrying her. There is no question in my mind Rachel wore the pants in the family. This next item may be off the wall, but I have considered it. I have asked myself if Trevor is the result of an agreement between Rachel and Dirk. Did Dirk make that part of his price, for him to agree to the Ares and the charter business? Off the wall thought, I know. I am positive Dirk loves Trevor in the traditional way. Dirk does require him to meet certain standards. Dirk does not have a clue about Trevor’s sexual preferences. Dirk suggested Trevor take an extended holiday with a female companion. This statement, in itself, proves to me, he is not above stretching the envelope. I believe Dirk’s sexual interests are exactly as Shane describes himself in Chapter 81.

Nope, I beleive that Dirk was always gay and hid from it by marrying, as many gay men do. But could not pull it off eventually and it came to pass between them. Rachel would have followed through with the divorce and with Trevor's custody, but something came up that made her desert her family because of harms way.

Rachel

I believe Rachel did not die as the direct result of the chronicled scenario of May 1997. I do not believe she is dead. Where she is and what she is doing is a mystery to me. I believe she is approximately the same age grouping I assigned to Dirk. She was not born in the United States. She has relatives in Australia. She evidently began her career on the water at age 12. She is well trained and very able to operate a sailboat under difficult circumstances. She has a dominant personality. She is not afraid to break the law. She is a good planner. The basic plan in the conspiracy, as understood by Dirk, survived the years. Only because of Trevor’s actions, has the chance of it becoming unraveled prematurely arisen.

I have never believed in Rachel's demise, I believe she is alive and well in Australia.

Crimes

There is no question that both Rachel and Dirk broke the law. The setting up and implementing the disappearance of the Ares and Rachel was one they both conspired in. In Dirks case, there are three federal statutes, which have not reached the expiration of their Statute of Limitations. One is a violation of Internal Revenue Service laws. The Statute of Limitations on this offense is six years. This will expire in November 2006. (Seeing as the story has reached December 1st, this one has expired.) The second is a conspiracy charge with and a seven-year Statute of Limitations. This will expire in December 2006. Dirks last action with this statute must have been in December 1999. This is the same month Rachel’s Memorial Service was held. The third and final offense Dirk can be charged with also expires in December2006. It is for a violation of a federal conspiracy statute. The Statute of Limitations is ten years in length. Dirks last involvement with this statute must have been in December 1996. There is no way, based on available information, to determine, when this conspiracy commenced. As to whether Rachel was involved with this offense cannot be established.

There is no question that Dirk is involved in a cover up, other then that I see no evidence to implicate him a crime other then omission.

Prior to her disappearance Rachel was involved in some sort of criminal activity. Rachel learned about the investigation of her ongoing activities. I have serious doubts that Dirk was involved in it. While it was in progress Dirk may not have even known about it. I am basing my conclusions on a fact. If he was involved, he was never arrested for it. It has been nine years since the, “Disappearance.” Rachel’s vanishing act and subsequent legal determination of death, would have stopped the investigation as far as she was concerned. If Dirk were involved they would have continued the investigation. It is possible the government did not have sufficient evidence to indict him.

I believe Rachel's involvement was not knowing what she was doing here, Rachel ran charters, some supplied to her by Bridget. I think unbeknownst to her she caught drift that she was under investigation, or found Arnold's stash, or overheard conversations aboard her charter.

At the present time Dirk is a fugitive. He has three Major Felony charges hanging over his head. There may well be other charges associated with these offenses. My interpretation of Chapter 54 is Dirk leveled with Frank Tittle. He would have explained to Frank, whatever he had been involved with, in the past. If there was any possibility Dirk would have any criminal responsibility, for being involved with the offenses, Rachel was under investigation for; Frank would have taken this into account in his summery. Either Dirk was not involved or the Statute of Limitations has already expired.

Good question, but with the information that Rachel is alive and well, the proof that the canal bombing was with a different propane tank, and the investigation of the complicity of George with Bridget. It brings a whole new aspect into the story, will George and Bridget make a run for it? Sailing around the south America cape only to encounter Trevor and Shane? And will Sanchez beat them all to the punch at this local.

In the prologue, there is mention of Dirk and Rachel using creative claims to purchase the Ares. There is not enough information available to determine if their actions constituted an offense.

Do to the implication; “Rachel is deceased,” no information is available, for me to consider her criminal responsibility, for any of her actions. When she did her “Houdini,” did that stop the clock? Hell Benji, I don’t know. Could the government go into court and have the declaration of death reversed? This might be possible. There was fraud in obtaining the decision. Here I think case law might play a part. I am too lazy and the information not easily available for me to bother researching. If the truth be told, I don’t give a damn what happens to her. I know we disagree about Rachel. We have agreed to disagree. I am sticking with our agreement. Whatever she did or did not do, neither Trevor nor Dirk will be doing her time in jail. However, I am willing to give her credit. If she did, what I think she did, she would have incorporated this into her plans, and will probably walk out the courtroom door, whistling a happy tune.

Haha! You are still assuming that Rachel is the bad person here, I do not prescribe to that theory, as I have read too many of the goats stories. Rachel is just a mystery left to flaunt over your mind, as is Julie's brief appearance here

Jim Ainsworth and Dirk.

Do they have a sexual relationship? I think yes. Benji, you can go find the following statement, if you’re interested. I know it exists, but do not recall where. In one of the conversations between Dirk and Jim that has been posted, Jim makes the following comment to Dirk, “WE haven’t had a vacation together yet.” That sounds more like something a person in a relationship would say, as opposed to what a friend would. Dirk certainly kept Trevor in the dark about Jim’s existence. Going so far as to lie. The police tracked him making regular visits to Jim’s residence. I think the observation, “The guilty flee, where no man pursues,” should be considered, in arriving at a conclusion. Dirk’s reaction to Trevor’s mentioning anything about gay’s, led Trevor to conclude, Dirk was homophobic.

Yes, Jim confirmed to officer Gonzales that he was gay, the fact that Dirk an Jim met every week on Wednesday is a no brainier into their relationship, coupled by the fact that they are both holding up as fugitives and Jim throwing out his money. Dirk is not homophobic, as stated in the prologue, Dirk noticed his son's sorrow and his obsession in the Aries was not normal, and he wanted his son to be happy. That said, both of the hard-headed guys got their signals crossed.

Rachel’s whereabouts

I do not know where she is. It is my considered opinion; CJ would like us to believe she is in Australia. There is plenty of evidence he has interjected so far. Chapter 81 was his most recent attempt. In one chapter he attacked the disappearance of Rachel and the location of the original Atlantis. CJ knows there are those of us who believe the Ares and Atlantis identities were swapped. There isn’t much he can do to change our minds.

I'm not sure of the boat swap, I do like it though, I do believe Rachel is alive and well in Austrailia.

His absolutely tremendous portrayal of Trevor and Shane finding each other speaks for itself. There is no question, in my mind; he worked on that a long time. He knew it was going to happen, he planned it, right up front. He egged us on. Consider his starting the thread, “Poll - Shane .” The goat must have made a bet with himself. How many can I get to stick their necks out and make a public commitment? Shane did not lie to Trevor. He told him he was not gay. Shane also told him he liked girls.

Yeah, I loved that one, he milked us for three chapters on it, so I really saw it coming here, although I expected Shane to be gay and not Bi, but little matters it happened finally!

The authors do a great deal of research into their stories, CJ is one of the best in this category. If he slips here and then do not think badly of him.

The number of times CJ has inserted little hints, clues or whatever you want to call them, connecting Rachel and Australia is interesting. He has been dangling these throughout the story. It started in Chapter 7, I think. Seventy-four chapters later, he is still trying. He has to get out of this story with some dignity remaining. So he keeps trying.

I have faith that CJ will wrap this up nicely, as he has in all of his stories.

CJ inserts another Key lime pie, with unidentifiable conversations in the background, this time. Just in case someone missed it in Chapter 68. He has dug himself into deep hole with this story. Look at what he is facing with the ending of Circumnavigation. He may be able to remove the threat to Trevor, Lisa and Joel by eliminating Bridget, George and Sanchez. He is still faced with some real problems. Consider Lisa and Joel. Their activities and loose lips damn near sunk the Atlantis. Twice. Then they would be responsible for Trevor being the main attraction in a replay of the life of John the Baptist. Is Rachel in Australia? I hope not. Trevor is on a real slippery slope right now. With Shane he should make it. Now in about two weeks or so he will be hearing, from his father, the truth about what occurred in May 1997. Do you think that would be the time, on top of all his other problems, to have Rachel pop up in his face and say, “Sorry about that?”

I propose the following scenario, Trevor finds his mother and Sanchez tries one more time and misses, the news story breaks and Bridget's worst fears come alive as the long hidden Arnold documents surface. Bridget and George escape and come around the cape to encounter Trevor and Shane, after a brief encounter Sanchez's crew finds Bridget and George.

That’s it for now Benji,

Marty

That is it for me!!!!

Yep, Dirk's famous venture on Wednesday to a non existent 'convention' 0:)

As I recall, you spotted that right away, when it first posted. All I can say is... you were right, midweek trade shows or conventions in that business, ain't happening. :) We now know he was off to see Jim, for whatever reasons, on at least many of those occasions. :)

I believe Rachel's involvement was not knowing what she was doing here, Rachel ran charters, some supplied to her by Bridget. I think unbeknownst to her she caught drift that she was under investigation, or found Arnold's stash, or overheard conversations aboard her charter.

Another factor that might be relevant; we know that Bridget tipped off the feds on Rachel, as part of a ploy to get Ares back.

Haha! You are still assuming that Rachel is the bad person here, I do not prescribe to that theory, as I have read too many of the goats stories. Rachel is just a mystery left to flaunt over your mind, as is Julie's brief appearance here

Now Benji... would poor, innocent me ever mess with anyone's head like that? 0:) 0:) 0:) 0:)

Yes, Jim confirmed to officer Gonzales that he was gay,

He also told Gonzalez that Dirk wasn't gay, and the narration there said he was truthful. :)

BTW, one more helpful bit I can add; If Rachel died in 1997, she would be still dead in 1998, and in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, almost certainly 2004, 2005, 2006, and in 2007, there are heavy odds she'd still be dead. This helpful earthshaking revelation brought to you by your friendly neighborhood goat. :sheep:

0:)

Hi Benji,

You certainly went through my posting quickly and thoroughly. I would like to bring some information to your attention, about these two responses.

There is that part where Rachel left parts of her boat that Bridget picked up, did she purposely shed some skin on the Aries/Atlantis? That would give bit of credence into her rebuilding the boat back in Australia into a 57. But I'm not sure that Dirk is in more trouble in a crime then being an accomplice.

It is possible you may be unfamiliar with what a Criminal Conspiracy is. Dirk is not worried about being charged with committing a specific crime. He is worried about being charged with conspiring too commit a crime with at least one other person. The crime may not even be committed. A real simple example follows: John and Joe make a plan to kill Bill. They go home and get their guns. They go and wait outside Bill’s house, waiting for him to come out. When Bill comes out a police car drives up and stops in front of Bill’s house. A police officer gets out and arrests Bill. Bill is handcuffed and put in the car, which dries away. John and Joe do not try to kill Bill because there was a policeman there. They talk it over. They decide it will not be easy to kill Bill. They go home and put the guns away. They both could be charged with Criminal Conspiracy. They planned to kill Bill. They went and armed themselves. They went to Bill's house to kill him. Even though they didn’t and changed their minds, John and Joe still conspired to commit murder. I hope this gives you a better understanding of what Dirk is worried about.

Nope, I beleive that Dirk was always gay and hid from it by marrying, as many gay men do. But could not pull it off eventually and it came to pass between them. Rachel would have followed through with the divorce and with Trevor's custody, but something came up that made her desert her family because of harms way.

When Jim returns to Florida after finding Trevor he has at least two conversations with Sergeant Gonzalez. I would suggest you read what happened and what they said to each other.

Have a nice weekend

Marty

Hi Benji,

A short follow-up on my previous post.

Dirk and Rachel enter into a Criminal Conspiracy. They plan to make Rachel disappear, by faking the sinking the Ares. Rachel will not be found. During the planning and carrying out of the conspiracy, several crimes are committed. Dirk iS charged wth murdering Rachel several years later.

The only way Dirk can get the murder charge dismissed is for him to admit they conspired, and produce evidence she did not die in May 1997.

If Dirk goes to the police and proves Rachel did not die, he will have to admit to planning to commit a crime. If he does that, before the Statute of Limitations expires, he can be charged with Criminal Conspiracy. If he waits until the Statute of Limitations does expire, even if he is arrested for the conspiracy, the charges have to be dismissed, by law.

Marty

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..