Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Why won't CJ ever use cliffhangers?

I had an idea for a new thread... a place for speculation and analysis of my most well-known trait: the fact that I never use cliffhangers.

So, anyone have any theories, speculation, or analysis on how and why I keep my stories completely and absolutely cliffhanger-free?

:ranger:

As Sherlock Holmes often said, "It's elementary, my dear Watson!"

The cliffhanger is nothing but a manipulative device used by lesser authors to gain and maintain some sort of fan base. These shameless authors plague upon the weak minded and the fuzzy-thinking to satisfy their larger-than-life egos. It saddens me deeply when I think about all the cliffhanger junkies who spend all their time checking for updates.

CJ simply has too much integrity to stoop to this level. He respects his readership - I would call it just plain old common decency. CJ's standards are high indeed! How else could anyone become a Hosted Author and Admin here at GA?

How does he do it? CJ largely writes mystery-adventure stories usually with high scientific content. Such stories require intensive and exhaustive research. That's the meat and potatoes of his work. Who needs cliffhangers?

My arguments are irrefutable. :2hands:

• Like 2

I agree with Conner. Authors who routinely use cliffhangers are pandering to their audience in the worst way, sacrificing their craft for the cheap thrill that comes with such tactics. I'd even go so far as to say that authors who wish to dangle their precious story bits over escarpments are engaging in attention-seeking behavior. Sometimes this manifests in a need to validate their beliefs by posting threads about themselves and their writing techniques, and sometimes not.

Continuing Conner's food metaphor, I'd say that stories with lots of cliff hangers are the cheap grilled cheese you'd get at any diner, rather than the succulent cheddar and onion-loaded panini sandwiches that are CJ's stories: rich plot development, deep characterizations, and lush, detailed environments. It's like I can smell the cheese from here.

Obviously CJ would never feel the need to stroke his vanity in these ways. His writing is far too rich for such shenanigans, in fact a case can be made that his stories are so thick with detail and swollen with character development, they plump when you cook them.

• Like 1

I had an idea for a new thread... a place for speculation and analysis of my most well-known trait: the fact that I never use cliffhangers.

So, anyone have any theories, speculation, or analysis on how and why I keep my stories completely and absolutely cliffhanger-free?

:ranger:

:lmao:........... I love it!!1 Nah, your stories are good enough that they need no cliffhanger (which you do leave in several chapters :lol:) I think your fan base is safe on that. My theory is that all authors need to throw out a cliffhanger once in awhile to generate discussion on the previous chapter, and this is a good thing, otherwise you'd just get a pat on the back lame comment of 'great chapter'. What I love about your stories is the hints and clues that lead the reader to see above the obvious cliffhanger, trying to solve the case ahead of time scenario type of thing.

Looking forward for tonight's chapter, and tomorrows re-reading to analysis. B)

Edited by Benji
  • Like 1

eeeeeeeeevil lies and deceit! :sheep:

And first.

Surely there are evil lies and deceit; from those who accuse me of cliffhangers. Shameful, really. 0:)

I'd have to say it's because you like to be sneaky.

Huh? Now, when have I ever been sneaky? 0:)

The cliffhanger is nothing but a manipulative device used by lesser authors to gain and maintain some sort of fan base. These shameless authors plague upon the weak minded and the fuzzy-thinking to satisfy their larger-than-life egos. It saddens me deeply when I think about all the cliffhanger junkies who spend all their time checking for updates.

CJ simply has too much integrity to stoop to this level. He respects his readership - I would call it just plain old common decency. CJ's standards are high indeed! How else could anyone become a Hosted Author and Admin here at GA?

How does he do it? CJ largely writes mystery-adventure stories usually with high scientific content. Such stories require intensive and exhaustive research. That's the meat and potatoes of his work. Who needs cliffhangers?

My arguments are irrefutable.

:2thumbs: :

I love this!!! :2thumbs:

Yep, that's a big part of it; I respect the readers too much to subject them to the horrors of cliffhangers. :ranger:

And indeed, I am a paragon of integrity when it comes to my utter and total avoidance of cliffhangers. :music:

I agree with Conner. Authors who routinely use cliffhangers are pandering to their audience in the worst way, sacrificing their craft for the cheap thrill that comes with such tactics. I'd even go so far as to say that authors who wish to dangle their precious story bits over escarpments are engaging in attention-seeking behavior. Sometimes this manifests in a need to validate their beliefs by posting threads about themselves and their writing techniques, and sometimes not.

Continuing Conner's food metaphor, I'd say that stories with lots of cliff hangers are the cheap grilled cheese you'd get at any diner, rather than the succulent cheddar and onion-loaded panini sandwiches that are CJ's stories: rich plot development, deep characterizations, and lush, detailed environments. It's like I can smell the cheese from here.

Obviously CJ would never feel the need to stroke his vanity in these ways. His writing is far too rich for such shenanigans, in fact a case can be made that his stories are so thick with detail and swollen with character development, they plump when you cook them.

Yes indeed, it is shameful that some authors would stoop so low as to post threads about themselves to validate their beliefs about themselves by posting threads about their writing techniques. Well said! What insecure people such authors must be! Shameful, really. :boy:0:)

And btw, your food metaphors made me hungry! I'm off to raid the fridge... :)

Here I thought you didn't use them because you were afraid of heights. 0:)

Clearly I'm a

:D

I do indeed avoid heights... they make me nervous. 0:)

:lmao:........... I love it!!1 Nah, your stories are good enough that they need no cliffhanger (which you do leave in several chapters :lol:) I think your fan base is safe on that. My theory is that all authors need to throw out a cliffhanger once in awhile to generate discussion on the previous chapter, and this is a good thing, otherwise you'd just get a pat on the back lame comment of 'great chapter'. What I love about your stories is the hints and clues that lead the reader to see above the obvious cliffhanger, trying to solve the case ahead of time scenario type of thing.

Looking forward for tonight's chapter, and tomorrows re-reading to analysis. B)

Thanks!

The new chapter is up, and the forum thread will be appearing in a minute. :)

I love leaving clues. My aim is to give enough info for people to figure out the plot, or the resolution to a current minor difficulty. For example, there were many references to sundials, the mechanics of telling time and location via the sun, mentions of the perils of the southern ocean, etc, before Trevor had his minor navigational inconvenience at the hands of the pirates. As for his feeling a little down after departing Atlantis due to the pirates, the clues to how he'd return were scattered about; his open water swimming, his freediving experiences, and simple physics and physiology. I never use cliffhangers, though. 0:)

He'll use goat hangers!! I mean coat hangers!!

Coathangers... hrmmm! 0:)

• 2 weeks later...

My arguments are irrefutable. :2hands:

You guys clearly underestimate the value of cheap thrills. Posted Image

I like the Concise Oxford English Dictionary definition:

cliffhanger noun

1. a dramatic ending to an episode of a serial, leaving an audience in suspense.

2. a situation in which the outcome is uncertain.

I don't find the word "evil" anywhere in these definitions. In fact, the second definition, "a situation in which the outcome is uncertain" is almost a necessity at the end of a chapter of a serial novel. If a serial novel never had this kind of "cliffhanger" readers would probably get bored with it and move on to another story that had those moments of uncertainty at the end of each chapter to keep their interest peaked.

Now, does CJ ever include moments of uncertainty at the end of a chapter in any of his stories? Why, sure he does! Maybe he'd be happy if this perfectly valid and necessary writing technique wasn't called "cliffhanger" (which sounds dangerous!) and could be called something else. Or not called anything at all. Whatever.

Colin B)

• Site Administrator

I do believe it was CJ that coined the term 'Evil Cliffhanger' :ph34r:

It was him that tried unsuccessfully to label a brilliant young author who wrote about his passions of the heart, motorbikes, relationships and bagels.

Unfortunately the relentless torture of the unsaid one, drove him away and his fans have still lit a candle for him every night to find his way home :(

Like in so many other cases, CJ has been first to strike first with a name (Evil Cliffhanger) to try to deflect him being labelled with it first.

Sad :( so very sad :(

I like the Concise Oxford English Dictionary definition:

cliffhanger noun

1. a dramatic ending to an episode of a serial, leaving an audience in suspense.

2. a situation in which the outcome is uncertain.

I don't find the word "evil" anywhere in these definitions. In fact, the second definition, "a situation in which the outcome is uncertain" is almost a necessity at the end of a chapter of a serial novel. If a serial novel never had this kind of "cliffhanger" readers would probably get bored with it and move on to another story that had those moments of uncertainty at the end of each chapter to keep their interest peaked.

Now, does CJ ever include moments of uncertainty at the end of a chapter in any of his stories? Why, sure he does! Maybe he'd be happy if this perfectly valid and necessary writing technique wasn't called "cliffhanger" (which sounds dangerous!) and could be called something else. Or not called anything at all. Whatever.

Colin B)

Hrmmm!!!!

But... well, uncertainty? Hrmmm... I'd say there is usually certainty; for example, when Trevor had his little pirate problem off the Seychelles, it was certain he'd either die, or not. :ph34r:

Or... that uncertainty angle is very intriguing... couldn't it be said that any mystery is, by its nature, uncertain until the mystery is revealed? Therefor, yep, there is indeed uncertainty in Circumnavigation. :boy:

I do believe it was CJ that coined the term 'Evil Cliffhanger' :ph34r:

It was him that tried unsuccessfully to label a brilliant young author who wrote about his passions of the heart, motorbikes, relationships and bagels.

Unfortunately the relentless torture of the unsaid one, drove him away and his fans have still lit a candle for him every night to find his way home :(

Like in so many other cases, CJ has been first to strike first with a name (Evil Cliffhanger) to try to deflect him being labelled with it first.

Sad :( so very sad :(

:o :o Wildone!!!

No one can deny that LiS 26 was, truly, the Mother of all Cliffhangers!

And let us not forget the great lemonade cliffhanger, forever unresolved... (the characters have lemonade at the end of the chapter, by we are forever kept hanging as to precisely what kind...)

And let it always be remembered, and never forgotten, that Shadowgod received the very first GA King of Cliffhangers award, bestowed unanimously by a select and impartial anonymous GA committee. I am sure that Shadowgod would be the first to say that he deserved the award. :king:

I have been unfairly accused!! :blink::ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

And let it always be remembered, and never forgotten, that Shadowgod received the very first GA King of Cliffhangers award, bestowed unanimously by a select and impartial anonymous GA committee. I am sure that Shadowgod would be the first to say that he deserved the award. :king:

I have been unfairly accused!! :blink::ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Errrr, I'm kinda new round here, but .... just exactly who sat on this "select and impartial anonymous GA committee"?? :blink::blink::blink::blink:

Errrr, I'm kinda new round here, but .... just exactly who sat on this "select and impartial anonymous GA committee"?? :blink::blink::blink::blink:

Well, they were anonymous, in order to ensure objectivity and impartiality. They were identified only by their titles, like Moderator, hosted author, GA Administrator, etc.

You might encounter malicious rumors claiming that I comprised every member of the committee, but those scurrilous rumors are not to be believed. :read:

Well, they were anonymous, in order to ensure objectivity and impartiality. They were identified only by their titles, like Moderator, hosted author, GA Administrator, etc.

You might encounter malicious rumors claiming that I comprised every member of the committee, but those scurrilous rumors are not to be believed. :read:

So, that would be "they" as used, for example, in company Human Resources Department Procedures to be non-gender specific when referring to the singular "he / she or it" :lol:

• Site Administrator

So, that would be "they" as used, for example, in company Human Resources Department Procedures to be non-gender specific when referring to the singular "he / she or it" :lol:

No,

Sadly in this case, all the members were the same person, CJ :)

How could a committee be singular? :blink:

And btw, I was right about scurrilous rumor-mongers, just look at what Wildone wrote...

No,

Sadly in this case, all the members were the same person, CJ :)

See? Wildone is picking on me again!!! He knows I'd never do such a thing, but he accuses me of it anyway...:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

How could a committee be singular? :blink:

In fact, if you look to the left of any of CJ's posts, you will see that it says he's a Hosted Author, a Mod, and a Administrator.

We've all been tricked! Have a look at these definitions of "committee":

"One or more persons elected or appointed, to whom any matter or business is referred, either by a legislative body, or by a court, or by any collective body of men acting together. " (http://www.brainyquote.com/words/co/committee146028.html)

"Individual or a group, appointed by an agency, authority, or larger assembly, " (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/committee.html)

"A person to whom a trust or charge is committed" (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/committee)

"a person or group of persons elected or appointed to perform some service or function, as to investigate, report on, or act upon a particular matter." (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/committee)

"An individual or group of people to whom authority has been delegated by a larger group to perform a particular function or duty." (http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/committee)

This is monstrous! :devil: There is clear evidence of deliberate dissembling and wrongdoing by the Goat which makes Rupert Murdoch (and his satanic spawn) look like Mother Theresa.

Since "Evil" seems to be a standard epithet when referring to the Goat and his activities shouldn't this, together with "slippery", be forcibly added to his Sig? :lmao: I don't know how to do it but perhaps there could be a vote on this? :sheep:

B)...........:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: rumors???

Friends, Readers, Posters, Lend me your ears and also your eyes.

I come to give the truth about CJ, not to praise him;

The evil that men do lives after them,

What little good he’s done will be buried with his bones.

So let it be with CJ.

Many here have accused him loudly, of writing “Cliffhangers,”

If this is so, it is a grevious fault,

All that so accuse him are honorable men

I come to speak of CJs faults, but they are really few.

Beyond a few postponed chapters,

He has tried his best, and we are thankful.

He has brought before you many noble chapters

His stories fill our hearts with joy

When he hath writ the dreadful endings

We have cried out, with no relief from him

He does deny his deeds, but continues without shame

Many say he is uncaring, and they are honorable men.

It was in the month of January, upon the eighteenth day

He foully posted Chapter Forty-eight and then sat back to wait

Many readers had remained awake, to see his latest work.

When they began to read the post, how little did they know,

The chapters name was ominous, twas called “The Hand of Fate.”

But placing trust in CJ, they then set out to learn.

The stalwart yacht Atlantis did sail, with noble Trevor at the helm

He had set forth from the Seychelles, Australia was his goal,

For four long days he headed south, intent upon his task

It was in the evening of October first, he did decide to sleep

He set the radar on his boat, so he could safely dose

He was awakened foully by a murderous crew.

They bound his hands and placed weights upon his frame.

He was then pitched overboard and sank beneath the waves.

So did CJ draw the chapter to a close, no doubt chortling aloud.

His readers were aghast at what CJ had done

They yelled aloud, they beat their breasts, at this loathsome deed.

They did in fact wait patiently for Chapter Forty-nine.

When it appeared they were to learn, sweet Lisa was engaged.

Twas not till Chapter Fifty came, did their hearts began to swell, with joy

For Trevor had in fact outwitted death and rose out of the depths

Because CJ has so treated us, he earned his shameful fame

For he is named the King of Cliffhangers, and this is rightfully so

Let each of you remember then, he will always try to close

His chapters with a pending threat to someone in the cast.

Unfortunately CJ is in fact, a person who does not wish to know

The Bards most excellent advice,

“This above all else, to thine own self be true.”

It is a tragedy he doth refuse to admit unto himself,

The crown he wears for all to see, he truly earned

For all who read this, go forth and try to understand,

CJ cannot recognize how and why we call him such

He lacks the capability to accept the truth he hears.

When he responds, “But,…But…But… he doesn’t realize,

How like a child he sounds, making noise not unlike

A motorboat traveling, through the water, much to his delight.

Pity him and pray, he mends his ways..

Before someone goes and tracks him down, to his lofty, solitary home

Then after speaking softly and after getting nowhere, acts swiftly

And then says loudly, “Please cross your legs, I only have three nails.

We've all been tricked! Have a look at these definitions of "committee":

"One or more persons elected or appointed, to whom any matter or business is referred, either by a legislative body, or by a court, or by any collective body of men acting together. " (http://www.brainyquote.com/words/co/committee146028.html)

"Individual or a group, appointed by an agency, authority, or larger assembly, " (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/committee.html)

"A person to whom a trust or charge is committed" (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/committee)

"a person or group of persons elected or appointed to perform some service or function, as to investigate, report on, or act upon a particular matter." (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/committee)

"An individual or group of people to whom authority has been delegated by a larger group to perform a particular function or duty." (http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/committee)

This is monstrous! :devil: There is clear evidence of deliberate dissembling and wrongdoing by the Goat which makes Rupert Murdoch (and his satanic spawn) look like Mother Theresa.

Since "Evil" seems to be a standard epithet when referring to the Goat and his activities shouldn't this, together with "slippery", be forcibly added to his Sig? :lmao: I don't know how to do it but perhaps there could be a vote on this? :sheep:

Zombie, don't be taken in by the nefarious schemers! They, by allegation and innuendo, are trying to frame me! :blink:

Why they pick on poor, innocent me, I know not... :ph34r:

B)........... :lmao: rumors???

Yep, rumors... part of a nefarious plot to frame me!

Friends, Readers, Posters, Lend me your ears and also your eyes.

I come to give the truth about CJ, not to praise him;

The evil that men do lives after them,

What little good he’s done will be buried with his bones.

So let it be with CJ.

Huh? :blink: E Tu Marty? What evil have I ever done? 0:)

Many here have accused him loudly, of writing “Cliffhangers,”

If this is so, it is a grevious fault,

All that so accuse him are honorable men

I come to speak of CJs faults, but they are really few.

Beyond a few postponed chapters,

He has tried his best, and we are thankful.

He has brought before you many noble chapters

His stories fill our hearts with joy

When he hath writ the dreadful endings

We have cried out, with no relief from him

He does deny his deeds, but continues without shame

Many say he is uncaring, and they are honorable men.

It was in the month of January, upon the eighteenth day

He foully posted Chapter Forty-eight and then sat back to wait

Many readers had remained awake, to see his latest work.

When they began to read the post, how little did they know,

The chapters name was ominous, twas called “The Hand of Fate.”

But placing trust in CJ, they then set out to learn.

The stalwart yacht Atlantis did sail, with noble Trevor at the helm

He had set forth from the Seychelles, Australia was his goal,

For four long days he headed south, intent upon his task

It was in the evening of October first, he did decide to sleep

He set the radar on his boat, so he could safely dose

He was awakened foully by a murderous crew.

They bound his hands and placed weights upon his frame.

He was then pitched overboard and sank beneath the waves.

So did CJ draw the chapter to a close, no doubt chortling aloud.

His readers were aghast at what CJ had done

They yelled aloud, they beat their breasts, at this loathsome deed.

They did in fact wait patiently for Chapter Forty-nine.

Ahha! Not so! I did not make them wait... I realized that, perhaps, in the minds of some, Trevor feeling a little down and under a bit of pressure at the end of 48 could be perhaps seen as an ever-so-slightly-tense ending. Therefor, out of the goodness of my heart, I made the generous offer to post chapter 49 ahead of schedule. Here's my post that started the linked thread; "Post chapter 49 early?"

Thanks to my wonderful team, I'm in a position to make an offer: to post chapter 49 of Circumnavigation early.

Would that help? :)

It's almost ready (I'm formatting it into HTML now).

In return, all I ask is that the forum posters here agree that 48 wasn't a cliffhanger, because we all know I'd never write a cliffhanger, right? :) As soon as we're in agreement, I'll post chapter 49, "The Question". :)

And indeed I did post chapter 49 early, as I'd promised.

When it appeared they were to learn, sweet Lisa was engaged.

Twas not till Chapter Fifty came, did their hearts began to swell, with joy

For Trevor had in fact outwitted death and rose out of the depths

Because CJ has so treated us, he earned his shameful fame

For he is named the King of Cliffhangers, and this is rightfully so

Let each of you remember then, he will always try to close

His chapters with a pending threat to someone in the cast.

Unfortunately CJ is in fact, a person who does not wish to know

The Bards most excellent advice,

“This above all else, to thine own self be true.”

It is a tragedy he doth refuse to admit unto himself,

The crown he wears for all to see, he truly earned

For all who read this, go forth and try to understand,

CJ cannot recognize how and why we call him such

He lacks the capability to accept the truth he hears.

When he responds, “But,…But…But… he doesn’t realize,

How like a child he sounds, making noise not unlike

A motorboat traveling, through the water, much to his delight.

Pity him and pray, he mends his ways..

Before someone goes and tracks him down, to his lofty, solitary home

Then after speaking softly and after getting nowhere, acts swiftly

And then says loudly, “Please cross your legs, I only have three nails.

ACK!! :blink:

But Marty, if you believe your theory that Shane wrote Circumnavigation, isn't it Shane whom you should be threatening, instead of poor, misunderstood me? :ph34r:

And nominating Shane for King of Cliffhangers? :read:

Zombie, don't be taken in by the nefarious schemers! They, by allegation and innuendo, are trying to frame me! :blink:

How can you frame the guilty? :evil:

Why they pick on poor, innocent me, I know not... :ph34r:

Well now, here's another mystery. How can CJ type such lies in the forum - surely his nose must grow so long as to push the keyboard well beyond reach of his fabricating fingers?? :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..