Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation 82: Tangled Webs

I certainly hope Trevor and Shane

made good use of the privacy, amounting to

an entire chapter, that was given to them by CJ

That means almost two weeks for frumping around.

Edited by MartyS

Tangled Webs is up. :)

:ph34r:

B)................ And a great chapter it was too! The big surprise was that Joel figured out possible connection of another suspect in being that of Bridget, I had thought Lisa would have done so. But as she admitted she was smitten by Bridget's generosity. I'm not sure where Joel connected the trade shows to Dirks' and Jim's meetings though. I guess they did more detective work then I expected.

Henry's unfortunate encounter to bug a boat sets up the possible conclusion that the guards running from Bridget's docking site, and the methods of intruder detection are devious to the naked eye. The hiding in plain site is plausible for criminal activity. Will Henry hire a professional scuba team to bug the boat? Gonzales dismisses the idea to instead go after Bridget's car. But will she be alerted that someone tries to break into the shipyard? If so I fear for Henry's life as I stated earlier, once George gets whiff of him he is out of there.

Now Gonzalez's points about Joel are valid from his point of view, he needs to hear the other side, something I fear will not happen if Henry is killed first. If he offers to tell Joel that Bridget is indeed a suspect in Arnolds death, then all bets are off as to where this goes.

I knew that that damned garlic press would come back to play, so the story will be out sooner then the bug bitten reporter wanted it to be.

Again Great chapter CJ :2thumbs:

Edited by Benji
  • Site Moderator

I knew that that damned garlic press would come back to play, so the story will be out sooner the the bug bitten reporter wanted it to be.

Yes, I agree that the fit is about hit the shan, if the other news services were monitoring the broadcast.

Dang...this story has more twists and turns than a 40 year old pole dancer...here I was all ready for some more Trevor and Shane action and you've gone back to Florida for a bit...dang! I know it's necessary plot-wise but you need to pander to my prurient needs... :evil:

Then the garlic crusher shows up...bad news for Trevor, what with all the press storm coming! This seems just a little bit like a hanger of the cliff type...if you know what I mean! :o

Grrrr.... cliffhanger!! :P

If Trev's mom is still out there, maybe she got the message? Still, it was irresponsible of the captain of that ship to transit information about it when he was specifically told not to.

I hope Joel uncovers the truth once and for all about Bridget...nothing irks me quite like betrayal.

Edited by thephoenix

If Trev's mom is still out there, maybe she got the message? Still, it was irresponsible of the captain of that ship to transit information about it when he was specifically told not to.

I hope Joel uncovers the truth once and for all about Bridget...nothing irks me quite like betrayal.

B)............... Actually he did cease transmissions, he did however pick up the satellite phone and re-dialed.

Cliffhanger?

Well, to be absolutely fair to CJ (which goes completely against the grain, you understand) it's a pretty small cliff - more of a sand dune really. The investigations moved forward, though hardly decisively and the news finally broke as we always knew it must.

I'm hoping it means that the nasty journalist is out-scooped. I don't want him earning a penny from the whole business.

I guess there's still no reason why anyone should know where Trevor and Shane are, though. Australia's a pretty big place and the number of people who know either guy is pretty small.

It looks like Bridget is going to run into some problems soon. Real soon.

And it's possible that Atlantis is actually Ares in disguise. Cool if that! Of course if it is Ares then there's a downside; there's something hidden on Ares/Atlantis and someone is going to want to find it first.

Colin B)

"Unfortunately, the dog wasn’t as easily foxed and came after me. I wasn’t carrying a gun – I didn’t want to make it a major felony if I got caught ..."

Hmmmmm. Why wouldn't Henry have a concealed firearms licence? :blink::blink: The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services website advises "A private investigator or private investigator intern, age 21 years or older, who possesses a Class "G" Statewide Firearm License, may carry a concealed firearm when it is required by his or her duties and approved by the licensed agency ..." ( http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/investigations/firearms.html )

Whilst rummaging through their helpful website I noticed the APPLICATION FOR CONCEALED WEAPON/FIREARM LICENSE form includes some rigorous questions e.g. "Are you a fugitive from justice? Yes / No". Gotta give the Florida authorities bonus points here - the bad guys always make sure they've got their firearms paperwork in place before they go and hold up the drug store and they always come clean if they're on the run :wacko:

A bit like the question (before 9/11!) on the US Immigration Form handed out to air passengers on approach to the US: "Is it your intention to overthrow the Government of the United States by Force?" Obviously passengers with evil plans would immediately 'fess up. One British cove (Brits just can't resist poking fun at stoney-faced authority, especially those funny foreigner types) was unable to prevent himself writing "Sole purpose of visit". I understand that US Immigration is not especially famous for its well-honed sense of humour and his visit was likely shorter than he'd originally planned :lmao:

B)................ And a great chapter it was too! The big surprise was that Joel figured out possible connection of another suspect in being that of Bridget, I had thought Lisa would have done so. But as she admitted she was smitten by Bridget's generosity. I'm not sure where Joel connected the trade shows to Dirks' and Jim's meetings though. I guess they did more detective work then I expected.

Henry's unfortunate encounter to bug a boat sets up the possible conclusion that the guards running from Bridget's docking site, and the methods of intruder detection are devious to the naked eye. The hiding in plain site is plausible for criminal activity. Will Henry hire a professional scuba team to bug the boat? Gonzales dismisses the idea to instead go after Bridget's car. But will she be alerted that someone tries to break into the shipyard? If so I fear for Henry's life as I stated earlier, once George gets whiff of him he is out of there.

Now Gonzalez's points about Joel are valid from his point of view, he needs to hear the other side, something I fear will not happen if Henry is killed first. If he offers to tell Joel that Bridget is indeed a suspect in Arnolds death, then all bets are off as to where this goes.

I knew that that damned garlic press would come back to play, so the story will be out sooner then the bug bitten reporter wanted it to be.

Again Great chapter CJ :2thumbs:

Thanks!!

Good points!

We don't see everything they do or think, so you're right, we didn't see Joel directly connect the dots on the trade shows. It's only now though that he makes mention of it. And yep, Lisa and Joel investigations is getting rolling! Let's just hope they don't talk about it in the guesthouse. :)

Bridget has the perfect image to deflect drug-running suspicions; high society older lady, etc.. doesn't fit the profile. So, it might take a little while to connect a few dots, but that boatyard setup is mighty suspicious.

Speaking of that boatyard... ROBS marine... hrmmm... RKanpp?

Yes, I agree that the fit is about hit the shan, if the other news services were monitoring the broadcast.

However, look at the bright side... the garlic crusher is safe! Will there be a happy reunion with Trevor in its future? :wub:

hehe funny to get news spreading when it was stiffed

Trevor and Shane's bait and switch trick almost worked, and did buy them some time. However, it won't win them any friends amongst the reporters they did fool. :)

Dang...this story has more twists and turns than a 40 year old pole dancer...here I was all ready for some more Trevor and Shane action and you've gone back to Florida for a bit...dang! I know it's necessary plot-wise but you need to pander to my prurient needs... :evil:

Then the garlic crusher shows up...bad news for Trevor, what with all the press storm coming! This seems just a little bit like a hanger of the cliff type...if you know what I mean! :o

This isn't the first chapter Trevor wasn't in... there was one other, right after he had his little pirate problem, where we focused on Florida happenings (Lisa and Joel's engagement).

Trevor and Shane will be back in the next chapter. :)

Cliffhanger??? But but but.. I never uses cliffhangers!! :blink: :blink:

Bridget has betrayed Lisa in a very cruel way; using her vulnerability to manipulate her, to try to kill her best friend. Bridget is, well, not very nice at times...

Given Sergeant Gonzalez's present mindset, I am looking forward to reading the interview he is planning to have with Joel.

I have a hunch Joel may not enjoy it. :ph34r:

Cliffhanger?

Well, to be absolutely fair to CJ (which goes completely against the grain, you understand) it's a pretty small cliff - more of a sand dune really. The investigations moved forward, though hardly decisively and the news finally broke as we always knew it must.

I'm hoping it means that the nasty journalist is out-scooped. I don't want him earning a penny from the whole business.

I guess there's still no reason why anyone should know where Trevor and Shane are, though. Australia's a pretty big place and the number of people who know either guy is pretty small.

Ironic, really... If they stay in Rhys Lagoon, they are safe. However, they plan to return to Carnervon, for Trevor's health.

Thanks for defending me against cliffhanger accusations! :worship:

It looks like Bridget is going to run into some problems soon. Real soon.

And it's possible that Atlantis is actually Ares in disguise. Cool if that! Of course if it is Ares then there's a downside; there's something hidden on Ares/Atlantis and someone is going to want to find it first.

Colin B)

Bridget... she's been under a lot of stress lately. Maybe that's why she's a bit cranky at times? 0:)

"Unfortunately, the dog wasn’t as easily foxed and came after me. I wasn’t carrying a gun – I didn’t want to make it a major felony if I got caught ..."

Hmmmmm. Why wouldn't Henry have a concealed firearms licence? :blink::blink: The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services website advises "A private investigator or private investigator intern, age 21 years or older, who possesses a Class "G" Statewide Firearm License, may carry a concealed firearm when it is required by his or her duties and approved by the licensed agency ..." ( http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/investigations/firearms.html )

Whilst rummaging through their helpful website I noticed the APPLICATION FOR CONCEALED WEAPON/FIREARM LICENSE form includes some rigorous questions e.g. "Are you a fugitive from justice? Yes / No". Gotta give the Florida authorities bonus points here - the bad guys always make sure they've got their firearms paperwork in place before they go and hold up the drug store and they always come clean if they're on the run :wacko:

A bit like the question (before 9/11!) on the US Immigration Form handed out to air passengers on approach to the US: "Is it your intention to overthrow the Government of the United States by Force?" Obviously passengers with evil plans would immediately 'fess up. One British cove (Brits just can't resist poking fun at stoney-faced authority, especially those funny foreigner types) was unable to prevent himself writing "Sole purpose of visit". I understand that US Immigration is not especially famous for its well-honed sense of humour and his visit was likely shorter than he'd originally planned :lmao:

ROFL!! Great point on the questions on forms.... yeah, some are real eye-rollers. Some are there to just create an extra legal charge against violators, but some... well, I guess they keep us safe from criminals who cannot lie. :lol:

On the concealed carry permit issue; Yep, Henry has one. But, per Florida law, that does not make it okay to carry while committing a felony. Carrying a weapon while committing almost any felony (only things like anti-trust violations are exempt) adds on a major charge, and a minimum extra 10 years in prison.

Was Henry committing a felony or a misdemeanor? Trespass is normally a misdemeanor. But, entering a building (and that boat shed he wanted to get into could certainly be called one) is a third-degree fellony.

4) Burglary is a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084, if, in the course of committing the offense, the offender does not make an assault or battery and is not and does not become armed with a dangerous weapon or explosive, and the offender enters or remains in a:

(a) Structure, and there is not another person in the structure at the time the offender enters or remains; or

(B) Conveyance, and there is not another person in the conveyance at the time the offender enters or remains.

All he's actually guilty of is trespass, but, he intended to enter the shed, which would be felony burglary (it doesn't matter that he didn't intend to take anything) and armed with a gun, he'd be looking at a minimum three year stretch in prison. Here's another quote;

The burglary law is found in Florida Statute 810.02. A burglary is defined as the unlawful entry into a conveyance (car, boat, truck, anything that is movable) dwelling (house, apt, trailer, anywhere that a person can legally reside) or structure (office building, storage shed, etc) with the intent to commit a crime unless the property is open to the public or a person is invited inside. Burglaries are one of the most serious crimes and are always classified as a felony. If the person enters a conveyance it will be classified as a third degree felony unless the person is carrying a firearm or commits a battery, in which case it can become a first degree felony punishable by life in prison. Additionally, possessing a firearm while committing a burglary of a conveyance is punishable under 10-20-LIFE and carries a mandatory three year prison sentence. If there is another person inside the conveyance, the burglary becomes a second degree felony punishable by up to 15 years in prison.

That's why Henry didn't take his gun. It also triggered Gonzalez's stress over breaking laws... Gonzalez is supposed to enforce laws, not be a party-after-the-fact to breaking them. He self-justifies by the fact he's after a killer and a dirty cop, but he hates it.

CJ :)

Hi CJ,

I do not wish to become involved in a lengthy discussion on law, but I do have a question. As I read the statute you posted, one of the elements of Burglary is, “To commit a crime.” My question is, ” What Crime was Henry intending to commit?”

Marty

Hi CJ,

I do not wish to become involved in a lengthy discussion on law, but I do have a question. As I read the statute you posted, one of the elements of Burglary is, “To commit a crime.” My question is, ” What Crime was Henry intending to commit?”

Marty

The boat is in a boatshed. A boatshed is basically a covered dock. It's a building. In the building, is the boat. The boat is a separate property. He'd need to enter it. That's a trespass at least, and entering a conveyance (such as a boat) for illegal intent is burglary. His illegal intent? to plant the GPS tracker. It's not legal for a private citizen to do that to another private citizen. Cops can do it without a warrant (like they did to Dirk) but only if the vehicle is publicly accessible. They can't go into a garage, or even a gated property, to do it without a warrant. Private citizens are under far greater restrictions. This is why Gonzalez requested to not know, though Henry felt the need to tell him, given the developments. Henry would be breaking the law in that building at least two ways: invasion of privacy statues, breaking and entering, and criminal damage (if he did even the tiniest bit of damage) by planting a tracker on that boat. That's a crime. Doing it inside a building makes it felony burglary, and doing so while armed makes it a very major felony.

At least, that's my read on Florida law as it stood in 2006... An I'll fess up; that was said by Henry, and not in the narration, precisely because I was not absolutely 100% positive. Henry, after all, might not be sure either, and thought he was playing it safe. :)

:sheep:

• Site Administrator

At least, that's my read on Florida law as it stood in 2006... An I'll fess up; that was said by Henry, and not in the narration, precisely because I was not absolutely 100% positive. Henry, after all, might not be sure either, and thought he was playing it safe. :)

hmmmm, you seem to know a lot about Florida law....specifically in 2006.

I am beginning to think all the accusations against Robbie are ploys to detract us from the fact that YOU are the one responsible for all the troubles befalling Trevor, Dirk and the rest of the cast :ph34r:

I am beginning to think all the accusations against Robbie are ploys to detract us from the fact that YOU are the one responsible for all the troubles befalling Trevor, Dirk and the rest of the cast :ph34r:

EErrrrrr Wildone

Who is this Robbie you mentioned?

The boat is in a boatshed. A boatshed is basically a covered dock. It's a building. In the building, is the boat. The boat is a separate property. He'd need to enter it. That's a trespass at least, and entering a conveyance (such as a boat) for illegal intent is burglary. His illegal intent? to plant the GPS tracker. It's not legal for a private citizen to do that to another private citizen. Cops can do it without a warrant (like they did to Dirk) but only if the vehicle is publicly accessible. They can't go into a garage, or even a gated property, to do it without a warrant. Private citizens are under far greater restrictions. This is why Gonzalez requested to not know, though Henry felt the need to tell him, given the developments. Henry would be breaking the law in that building at least two ways: invasion of privacy statues, breaking and entering, and criminal damage (if he did even the tiniest bit of damage) by planting a tracker on that boat. That's a crime. Doing it inside a building makes it felony burglary, and doing so while armed makes it a very major felony.

Sorry CJ, I do not agree. IMHO, Henry, an experienced PI would know the Trespass was a Misdemeanor. I believe the possession of a firearm, would elevate the offense to a Felony classification. This is the way it works in my state anyway. The fact he did not carry a firearm suggests it is the same in Florida.

Your points regarding police using GPS are interesting, but not germane to my question. Likewise your insertion of possible damage is conjecture. Seeing, as you were hesitant to allow the narrator to establish the legal question of the placing of a GPS, by a private citizen, being an offense under Florida law, I do not feel you answered my question.

In a previous incident, when Henry placed the tracker into George's tire, my understanding of Sergeant Gonzalez's admonition to Henry, addressed the theft of the original tire, not the insertion of the device.

I do not want to beat this to death. I could not allow you to get away with dancing around my question, without voicing an objection.

Edited by MartyS

Me?!?!?? How could I possibly be to blame for any of this? :blink:

Rknapp (Robbie) has admitted to being in the area, had a very similar boat, and was also in New Jersey! I think he sank Ares...

Sorry CJ, I do not agree. IMHO, Henry, an experienced PI would know the Trespass was a Misdemeanor. I believe the possession of a firearm, would elevate the offense to a Felony classification. This is the way it works in my state anyway. The fact he did not carry a firearm suggests it is the same in Florida.

Your points regarding police using GPS are interesting, but not germane to my question. Likewise your insertion of possible damage is conjecture. Seeing, as you were hesitant to allow the narrator to establish the legal question of the placing of a GPS, by a private citizen, being an offense under Florida law, I do not feel you answered my question.

In a previous incident, when Henry placed the tracker into George's tire, my understanding of Sergeant Gonzalez's admonition to Henry, addressed the theft of the original tire, not the insertion of the device.

I do not want to beat this to death. I could not allow you to get away with dancing around my question, without voicing an objection.

I don't think that, under Florida law, committing a misdemenor while armed has any legal penalty enhancement. The statue los specific, it's felonies that get enhanced. Under Florida law, breaking and entering with intent to commit a crime is burglary, a class 3 felony. Planting a GPS on bridget's boat is a misdemeanor, and so is letting himself inside it, so by breaking and entering (or trespassing, same difference) with intent to do something illegal, Henry was committing a fairly minor felony. Carrying a gun would have made it a major one with a mandatory 3 year minimum prison sentence.

As for the tire caper... who owns the tire that's now on George's car? Henry, who is basically tracking his own property. (that would make an interesting legal case! I think Henry would lose though) So, Gonzalez pointed out the theft issue of the original tire. Gonzalez is trying to turn a blind eye to Henry's law-breaking, but it's bothering his conscience.

And I forgot to mention the title of the next chapter! It's "One Heart".

Google Search Strings

Florida Law Trespass

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GZAZ_enUS415US415&q=Florida+Law+Trespass

Florida Law GPS Tracker

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GZAZ_enUS415US415&q=Florida+Law+GPS+Tracker&btnG=Search&oq=Florida+Law+GPS+Tracker&aq=f&aqi=&aql=undefined&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=84078l84078l0l1l1l0l0l0l0l188l188l0.1l1

Texas Law GPS Tracker

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GZAZ_enUS415US415&q=Texas+Law+GPS+Tracker&btnG=Search&oq=Texas+Law+GPS+Tracker&aq=f&aqi=&aql=undefined&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=48688l48688l0l1l1l0l0l0l0l46l46l1l1

Arizona Law GPS Tracker

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GZAZ_enUS415US415&q=Arizona+Law+GPS+Tracker

I rest my case

Google Search String

I rest my case meaning

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=1&oq=I+rest+my+case&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GZAZ_enUS415US415&q=i+rest+my+case+meaning

Hmmm!!!

I'm a bit confused here... the Florida link (a few hits down) seems to support my point; that the planting of a GPS tracker by a private citizen on a vehicle they have no ownership interest in is illegal in Florida. So, what Henry was breaking in to do was illegal. The Arizona & Texas laws don't apply at all in this case.

Hmmm!!!

I'm a bit confused here... the Florida link (a few hits down) seems to support my point; that the planting of a GPS tracker by a private citizen on a vehicle they have no ownership interest in is illegal in Florida. So, what Henry was breaking in to do was illegal. The Arizona & Texas laws don't apply at all in this case.

CJ

I did rest my case but will respond briefly

When you look at the Texas link, there is immediatly a reference to it being illegal under Texas law.

No such answer is immedialely apparant in either Florida or Arizona links.

However a bit down toward the bottom of the first page of the Florida page there is this link. If you go there be sure to read the whole page, not just the first answer given. Based on everything I read there, and it is dated close to two years ago it was not illegal then. IMHO it is still A GREY AREA. BE SURE TO READ THE ENTIRE PAGE

http://www.justanswer.com/law/2pzp1-legal-florida-put-real-time-gps-tracker.html

Did I miss a post or something, I didn't notice any comment about the Trespass link I included.

And now By Gosh and By Golly, I REST MY CASE

However I will read your response to this page. Looking forward to it.

Marty

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..