Open Club  ·  280 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

What Happens Next In CAP?

-Will goes to Australia for study abroad for the spring 2007 semester.

Come on, you KNOW Will would love that place. Great surf, great-looking men with hot accents, and coral reefs to explore. It'd be perfect. I think Paris would be out for study abroad, for sure. Most of the kids I knew who could afford study abroad did it, even ones couldn't really afford it, and that'd be a cool experience to cover that we didn't really do before.

Speaking of study abroad, it's usually supposed to be done during the junior year- so are Wade and Matt going to do study abroad, or has Riley pretty much put the kibosh on Wade ever getting to do something like that?

Edited by methodwriter85
  • 3 weeks later...

http://news.yahoo.co...-225605958.html

I think this story is hilarious. You get low-pollution, light industry wanting to build, and because you bitch and whine about it, you're going to get low-income housing instead? Hah.

I'm not sure this story specifically should happen in CAP, but it would be funny for Brad and Robbie to deal with the charms of NIMBY. I would bet anything they'd get NIMBY reactions if they tried building around the rich area of Claremont.

I do kind of wonder if we're going to revisit the whole "Claremont revitalization" deal at some point. Maybe around the 9/11 story?

Edited by methodwriter85
  • 2 weeks later...

-In true CAP modus operandi, Will and whoever his partner is decide to have sex with Raine to create a baby somewhere in Will's mid/late 20's. I'm leaning more towards when Will is around 24, because Mark likes his characters having their first kids at young ages. No Schluter/Hayes/Crampton is allowed to wait until their 30's before procreation. (The notable exception being Ace.)

Raine willingly obliges, as long as they promise to raise the baby with organic, free-range food and make regular donations to Amnesty International.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • 1 month later...

Well, I was right about Will having sex with Raine in a fun way, and Will having sex with Ryan with Ryan freaking out. Although Ryan got over it.

Next prediction: JJ drops out of Harvard-Westlake because figure skating takes up too much of his time for him to be able to do well there.

Also, I think John will get a lacrosse stick tattoo on his calf when he's 16, 17. You ever notice how many lacrosse guys get those? I think Claire might not be thrilled, but Jack wouldn't care.

Edited by methodwriter85

"Drops-out" is a pretty strong description. And a bit premature. I don't think we've seen evidence he's even challenged, let alone struggling. I don't think we've seen evidence either way, actually. I think it's been said that he's not as brilliant as Will, but Will is regularly described as a future "Most Likely to Succeed." There's a lot of room between "less brilliant than Will," and "high school drop-out."

Jack wouldn't care, but his parent's would freak the f**k out.

• Like 1

It really is amazing the amount of ink that this generation gets, changing the stigma around having tattoos. I used to work in a dining hall by the gym, so I'd see fratty bros in skimpy gym clothes all the time, and it amazed me how many guys had tattoos. It's really not the provenance of bikers, gang members, or soldiers anymore. Prepsters and future leaders of America are getting them, too. Although I don't think John would go all Madden-Twins-from-Good-Charlotte on us- it'd be just a small lacrosse tattoo on his calf.

The tribal tattoos get really popular during the late '90's/early '00s, as well as the Celtic cross tattoos. I'm positive Tony would get the Celtic cross one- he's practically screaming that.

I think it's been said that he's not as brilliant as Will, but Will is regularly described as a future "Most Likely to Succeed." There's a lot of room between "less brilliant than Will," and "high school drop-out."

I think it's been said that JJ is a bright kid, but his focus is all on figure skating. It's not so much that I don't think JJ could do the work- I just think if push comes to shove, he'd chose figure skating over academics.

Speaking of Will as most likely to succeed, I wonder when we're going to see what kind of extracurriculars he gets into. He's volunteering at the Mission, but I think Will would be in at least one other activity. "Most Likely to Succeed" types are usually in, at a minimum, 2 different activities atop of school. I think surf club and environmental club would fit well.

Although I guess volunteering at the figure skating competition would look good on his college apps, for sure

Edited by methodwriter85

As my father says..... when he was a kid only criminals and enlisted men had tattoos Posted Image

My dad used to say: "Only criminals and career swabbies with too much time in foreign ports had tattoos."Posted Image

As my father says..... when he was a kid only criminals and enlisted men had tattoos Posted Image

Which is interesting, because nowadays it's almost rare to see a buffed up jocky guy who DOESN'T have a tattoo somewhere. Tattoos seem to have become very much a part of jock/fratty bro culture. And then they grow up and enter the white collar workforce, further destigmatizing them.

I'm thinking Tony would have a celtic cross on his shoulder. John would get a lacrosse stick on his calf. Will- hmm...maybe a small shark or something Ocean-related on his lower back? Darius would probably get one of those trendy tribal tattoos on his upper bicep, especially if he does wind up in the military. I don't think JJ would get a tattoo, though.

My dad had nothing to say on the subject of tattoos. The only advice he had for me form his years in the service were, "Don't let a medic work where you can't see him," and "There are only two phrases of Spanish you really need: 'Una mas cerveza' and 'Donde esta el bano.'" He, by the way, speaks Spanish as his first language (or, rather, did at the time) and was a medic during his enlistment.

I wouldn't go as far as to say tattoos are being destigmatized in the white collar world. I, for my sins, am a part of that. And the people my age, especially women, who have tattoos certainly find them to be a drawback if they are in a prominant part of their body. One woman I work with wears either a scarf or a turtleneck at all times to cover a tattoo on her neck. Her husband, who is also a manger at my facility (different departments), wears long sleeve shirts.

Both of them are very smart and extremely capable at their jobs, and neither regrets getting the ink (the guy in fact has added onto his tattoo during the time we've worked together), but they both report that it would be easier to be taken seriously by customers, subordinates, and upper management without the tattoos than it is with them. Though, I suppose that IS a step forward from: "Get one and you will never get a job doing anything responsible." Note, I'm not disagreeing with you on the prominance of the cultural phenomenon. But I think you underestimate the drawbacks, particularly in fields that deal with a lot of international customers, as mine does.

Not that Will or John are likely to be affected. John, if he doesn't go to medical school, will wind up working for Robbie. Possibly cast in a few commercials and minor roles, plus at least one indie film, before moving into the nuts and bolts of the industry as seen form Robbie's company. Coming from that direction, a couple small tattoos that can be shown off on a teen magazine but covered up by normal business attire will probably enhance his career.

And no one has successfully told Will that he can't do something, so he will get his shark-shaped tramp stamp and deal with the consequences if they arise.

As for Tony and Darius...Darius, yeah, Tony I don't know. It'll depend on how scarred he really is from having a father that died of AIDS. I realize most tattoo parlors really are safe, but logic does not win against paranoia.

Edited by B1ue

Well, I didn't say they'd get hugely tatted up, just that I think small tattoos that can be covered up easily are pretty likely. Hell, I know girls who want to get into the museum field that have several small, visible tattoos on their bodies. And I think that as more and more people who grew up in this era(re: the sheer amount of preppy frat guys I've seen with tattoos) move into prominent white collar positions, it's going to be less and less of a stigma.

The only person I can't see doing it would be JJ, because of his whole need to have a Disney-friendly clean-cut boy-next-door image.

As you keep insisting he's going to explode into debauchery as soon as his skating career ebbs, wouldn't that make him MORE likely to get a tattoo at some point, not less?

We're not just talking about the next six months, after all, but into their twenties.

Mind, I don't actually agree with you that he'll explode. Or, rather, I do, but because this is the kind of series where characters explode, not because his character actually needs that moment to make sense. But if he ever becomes a narrator, the squeaky-clean Disney image just isn't going to cut it, unless he's banging Shane Jackson at the same time.

As you keep insisting he's going to explode into debauchery as soon as his skating career ebbs, wouldn't that make him MORE likely to get a tattoo at some point, not less?

We're not just talking about the next six months, after all, but into their twenties.

Mind, I don't actually agree with you that he'll explode. Or, rather, I do, but because this is the kind of series where characters explode, not because his character actually needs that moment to make sense. But if he ever becomes a narrator, the squeaky-clean Disney image just isn't going to cut it, unless he's banging Shane Jackson at the same time.

Right, I was thinking of when JJ is Disney JJ, not if/when he goes all dark!JJ. Good point.

Maybe JJ can go on a three-day bender for his 21st birthday and wind up with a tattoo that he has no idea where it came from. LOL. While this plays in the background...

Edited by methodwriter85

I can see Will with the Quiksilver logo on the right of his groin. You would only really see it if his pants were hanging low. I can see him getting that on the DL before he's 18.

I can see Will with the Quiksilver logo on the right of his groin. You would only really see it if his pants were hanging low. I can see him getting that on the DL before he's 18.

Ooooh, that's a good one. I like that. He probably would worship the Quiksilver brand.

• Like 1

It really is amazing the amount of ink that this generation gets, changing the stigma around having tattoos. I used to work in a dining hall by the gym, so I'd see fratty bros in skimpy gym clothes all the time, and it amazed me how many guys had tattoos. It's really not the provenance of bikers, gang members, or soldiers anymore. Prepsters and future leaders of America are getting them, too. Although I don't think John would go all Madden-Twins-from-Good-Charlotte on us- it'd be just a small lacrosse tattoo on his calf.

The tribal tattoos get really popular during the late '90's/early '00s, as well as the Celtic cross tattoos. I'm positive Tony would get the Celtic cross one- he's practically screaming that.

I think it's been said that JJ is a bright kid, but his focus is all on figure skating. It's not so much that I don't think JJ could do the work- I just think if push comes to shove, he'd chose figure skating over academics.

Speaking of Will as most likely to succeed, I wonder when we're going to see what kind of extracurriculars he gets into. He's volunteering at the Mission, but I think Will would be in at least one other activity. "Most Likely to Succeed" types are usually in, at a minimum, 2 different activities atop of school. I think surf club and environmental club would fit well.

Although I guess volunteering at the figure skating competition would look good on his college apps, for sure

I see debate team for Will and yearbook for JJ. I don't know why yearbook, I just think it fits somehow

Actually, I can't really see Brad or Robbie freaking out that much about a tattoo. They don't really freak out about stuff like that.

I see debate team for Will and yearbook for JJ. I don't know why yearbook, I just think it fits somehow

I could see Yearbook or Drama Club for JJ.

Edited by methodwriter85

Maybe JJ can go on a three-day bender for his 21st birthday and wind up with a tattoo that he has no idea where it came from. LOL. While this plays in the background...

And it will be a gold medal, right smack in the middle of his chest.

I think I'm warming to this idea.

And it will be a gold medal, right smack in the middle of his chest.

I think I'm warming to this idea.

Oh, god, yes, that would be frickin' hilarious! The mental image of JJ drinking himself into oblivion after failing to get Olympic Gold in '06 would be pretty funny.

Well, that's not entirely true that characters need to explode...JP, Marcel, and Wade aren't explosive characters. But I don't know- JJ's been described as a diva with a performer's temper. I don't see how JJ doesn't wind up exploding at some point- explosive tempers are pretty much the norm with diva types. At this point though, I think JJ likes to sit back and laugh his ass off at all the mayhem that Will is causing, enjoying the drama from a safe distance. He doesn't put himself in the middle of drama- I think JJ will make insinuations and try to piss people off, but not enough that his ass would get beat. Then he runs back and hides behind his Mommy.

As for squeaky clean, I'm kind of thinking this Norway trip is a way for Mark to explore the behind-the-scenes debauchery that can go on in figure skating, but he's using Will as the guy to go through it rather than JJ because he recognizes that JJ being a late-bloomer would kind of make it out of character for him to suddenly start banging skaters left and right. Mark's giving JJ time to grow up first before he plunges JJ into that kind of stuff. I'm sure JJ will wind up making up for lost time when puberty actually does hit, circa 2003 or so.

Although...hmm. Mark's never had an asexual character before. That could be interesting- someone with an asexual orientation in a family as randy as the Schluters.

The asexual guy here was actually cute, I thought. Kind of interesting that he was a cute 23-year old guy with no interest in sex. Almost unimaginable.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

JP chained his students up and made them like it. Wade gives his mother a run for her money on cool-calculated revenge all out of proportion to the crime. And by his own standards, Marcel riding Brad during a moment when he clearly didn't know who he was screwing and then later spending a summer sleeping with JP probably was explosive.

Edited by B1ue
  • Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..