Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation (99 +11) Operation Wesson

OK, I've googled for both Australian and New Zealand recipes for pavlova and they look pretty much the same to me - a large meringue sort of thing covered in fruit and whipped cream. So which is Aussie and which is Kiwi and which is the original?Posted Image

It's all about history Low Flyer..Posted Image Most Pav recipes these days in Australia and New Zealand are pretty much the same and have been since the 1950's The Kiwis assert that Pav was invented there in 1927 whereas the Aussies say that Bert Sasche invented it in 1935 at the Esplanade hotel in Perth Western Australia..

Here's what the experts say....Posted Image

If they truly believed that a traditional recipe for pavlova existed before that created by Sachse, then their characterization of the meringue and gelatin-based desserts developed in New Zealand before 1935, as being “... to all intents and purposes what we know as a ‘pavlova’ ...”, could not be correct. They are different. It is difficult to accept the Davis gelatin-based dessert and Mrs. McRae’s“meringue cakes”, both created in 1927, as a form of proper pavlova. After reviewing the recipes of the meringue-based, cream-filled and fruit-decorated desserts created in the post- Pavlova era, it is reasonable to conclude that, by 1957, Sachse’s recipe, created in 1935, was recognized as being that for “Traditional Pavlova”.Posted Image Posted Image

OK, I've googled for both Australian and New Zealand recipes for pavlova and they look pretty much the same to me - a large meringue sort of thing covered in fruit and whipped cream. So which is Aussie and which is Kiwi and which is the original?Posted Image

I'd rather go for a stroll in a minefield than say which is first. :P The Aussies and Kiwis take their rivalry very seriously. :)

And you don't already have 3 GA King of Evil Ciiffhanger Awards (soon to be four) to disprove this ../..//public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.png

But I was framed!!!! It was the act of a nefarious conspiricy that framed me!!! And they're out to do it again!!! Posted Image

And maybe just happen to notice the airstrip that is visible from satellite on his friendly wave fly by.

He's a pilot.. maybe he wouldn't notice an airstrip? Maybe he didn't check his aeronautical charts, which show it? Nothing to worry about. :)

I do have to give you credit CJ, East Wallaby Island's airstrip isn't labelled by either IATA code or ICAO code. This shows the extensive research that you put into your stories. The only reason I can see for the airstrip would be because of the history of West Wallaby Island. I imagine government and tourist flights might be a regular user of the strip.

The reason for its existence is in the coming chapter. :)

Still, the lengths you will go to find a location within your scope of the story that matches your needs is amazing. Not sure if you knew of the place when you started having Trevor going to Australia, but you definitely have it now. Same as have Carnarvon Bay and Carnarvon on opposite sides of the continent.

Some of it was planned out long ago, including little things, like the name of Dirk Hartog Island near Carnarvon, and how the name makes Trevor think of his father, Dirk. I was looking at the area (I'd already picked it) but didn't have a name for Trevor's father yet, so saw that and thought it would work. I knew about the history of the Batavia wreck long before writign the story too; it's one of the most dramatic of the Dutch East Indiamen wrecks. Carnarvon being a placename on both sides of the continent was super easy: I knew that long before writing the story. The reason is I have an interest in glacial periods, and thus sea levels changes over time. Right in the center of Carnarvon Bay, Tasmania, is an island called Isle of the Dead (used as a cemetery for the old prison there). On it is a waterlevel benchmark chiseled into the rock in 1841. So, I had already heard of Carnarvon Bay, Tasmania, having seen it mentioned in an article on the Isle of the Dead benchmark about ten years ago. I've also long known about Carnarvon's relationship to the loss of HMAS Sydney (WWII naval history is another of my hobbies) and also the Jindallee over the horizon backskatter radar system (Modern military weapons and tactics are another of my hobbies) so a lot of this detail work was easier than it looks. :)

Did I know that Trevor would go to Webbie Hayes fort from the start? Yep. I knew about it (from the Batavia wreck) and that's why the islands were mentioned a couple of times during Trevor's approach to Carnarvon. Did I know about the airstrip before I started the story? Nope... I only noted it on Google Earth when I was doing the initial research in Google earth, checking out the area (that's when I noticed what Shane calls Rhys Lagoon, too). Some things though are planned out as the story progresses. The outline called for Trevor to hide Kookoburra somewhere, somewhere that she'd been before as the Ares, but it was only after his arrival in Carnarvon thatI picked the Murchison, and pure dumb luck that the flow was at record highs that year, and that the weather was stormy the night he crossed the bar at the river';s mouth. (I do check weather and tide times for the dates and locations, if relevant) :)

As far as the shark's jaw, this will give Mr. B the ability to remove Trevor's and any others heads making it look like a shark attack. I don't have a clue for the 2 lengths of strong wire, the crowbars and the rubber mallet, but maybe he is planning on ensuring that all to them get a good suntan like Eric did to Chris and Steve in FTL ../..//public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.png

Eric in FTL was always so helpful. :)

Fear not, we'll see how the shark jaws, the rubber mallt, the wires, and the crowbars all work together in the next chapter, "Coming to a Head". Maybe Basingstoke just wants to hang the jaws on his wall as a souvenir?

Coming to a Head posts in 24 hours (well, maybe 26) and it's a nice, relaxing chapter, a chance to recover from any faint hints of tension in the recent chapters. :)

It's all about history Low Flyer..Posted Image Most Pav recipes these days in Australia and New Zealand are pretty much the same and have been since the 1950's The Kiwis assert that Pav was invented there in 1927 whereas the Aussies say that Bert Sasche invented it in 1935 at the Esplanade hotel in Perth Western Australia..

Here's what the experts say....Posted Image

If they truly believed that a traditional recipe for pavlova existed before that created by Sachse, then their characterization of the meringue and gelatin-based desserts developed in New Zealand before 1935, as being “... to all intents and purposes what we know as a ‘pavlova’ ...”, could not be correct. They are different. It is difficult to accept the Davis gelatin-based dessert and Mrs. McRae’s“meringue cakes”, both created in 1927, as a form of proper pavlova. After reviewing the recipes of the meringue-based, cream-filled and fruit-decorated desserts created in the post- Pavlova era, it is reasonable to conclude that, by 1957, Sachse’s recipe, created in 1935, was recognized as being that for “Traditional Pavlova”.Posted Image Posted Image

Quoting further from the same expert:

We can concede that New Zealanders discovered the secret delights of the largemeringue with the ‘marshmallow centre’, the heart of the pavlova. But it seems reasonable t assume that someone in Perth attached the name of the ballerina.

So the Kiwis invented the concept and the Aussies gave it the name? Seems like a nice compromise. Posted Image

• Site Administrator

I can't say a lot, but what I can say is, the race for the crown is shaping up to be an interesting one between the candidates.

:o :o :o :o :o :o

Everyone, this means CJ maybe at risk for losing his crown. :king: Go vote now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Site Administrator

Coming to a Head posts in 24 hours (well, maybe 26) and it's a nice, relaxing chapter, a chance to recover from any faint hints of tension in the recent chapters. Posted Image

And yet another cliffhanger :(

He posted that at 7:35 PM MST on Sunday night, and yet it is 11:30 PM MST on Monday.

Oh, and to save Lugh the trouble, no, this cliffhanger does not constitute anything towards CJ eligibility of last years ( the 2011) King of Cliffhangers Award. :D

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..