Open Club  ·  280 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

Mark,

The chapter was awesome. I was kidding about the cliff hanger. I love it all and that was just my way of saying you leave us full but wanting more.

Besides, the Welshman isn't on board. But I can't wait for the answer to the question of what peerage Granger will attain. I still think the ultimate would be to elevate the Earl and then make Granger the Earl of Brentwood. That would fry Freddie's ass and would gain Bertie's admiration as well as his father's. It would make for some more than interesting dynamics with the Wilcox/Mann clan wouldn't it? They dare not mess with the King's current most favored. And heading for the West Indies . . . well, there just seemed to be a lot of people who didn't find Granger charing and might try and keep him when he gets there.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

Besides, the Welshman isn't on board. But I can't wait for the answer to the question of what peerage Granger will attain. I still think the ultimate would be to elevate the Earl and then make Granger the Earl of Brentwood. That would fry Freddie's ass and would gain Bertie's admiration as well as his father's. It would make for some more than interesting dynamics with the Wilcox/Mann clan wouldn't it? They dare not mess with the King's current most favored. And heading for the West Indies . . . well, there just seemed to be a lot of people who didn't find Granger charing and might try and keep him when he gets there.

Just my thoughts.

I thought the Mann/Wilcox bunch pretty much nutered themselves with acts of courage and leadership. Who is left without yellow stains in their undergarments?

I would really think that no matter what elevation Granger receives; either Bertie or an unknown antagonist is the most likely to to cause Granger problems in this story. Granger has been able through his behaviour and actions endear himself to most of the people that really matter inside of the navy and in polite society. Bertie might not be happy about returning home, but with his new fortune, I would think he would be. I think if Granger is going to have a real problem with someone, it will probably be someone new or totally unexpected.

Since the current book is "Odyssey" I think the problems occur on the journey. Both ways! A voyage such as this during that time period was no sure thing and a resourceful captain and crew were essential for successful return.

The newest chapter of Odyssey was excellent. Granger got two titles... Now he is Lord Granger, Viscount of Brentwood and Baron Ryde; I was sort of expecting a double title so this works well. Freddie will be green with envy, as for the moment his little brother is higher in title than he is. Davina will be beside herself, maybe this will push her over the edge and a horrible accident will occur involving her and the side of ship. I do think that Bertie will have to get a title now too, unless of course something happens to Freddie then Bertie will become heir to the Earldom.

Arthur seemed to be of two minds. I have to admit that there seems to be something more to this than we are aware. Arthur was always a little unsettled but his recent behaviour is just too out of place. Sir Phillip Kerry seems to have taken Cavendishes place but you have to wonder what will happen next. Will Sir Kerry really want to remain in the Far East with Arthur indefinitely??? I still wonder if we shouldn't bring back Jardines in some manner. I think that Arthur really loved him, and his banishment may have been his breaking point to some extent. Not sure I would want him brought back just to have Granger kill him for what he did to Travers though, although he would need to be punished.

I have to wonder if Wilcox hasn't bitten off more than he can chew going after Granger's men the way he is? You would think that he would know not to move against him like this, especially after Granger was just honored so by the King. It seems the first battles of the voyage are going to take place before the ship even sails....

Edited by centexhairysub

It was a great honor. I wonder if Granger wil get his first chance to use his new immunity to arrest in the scuffle? Wouldn't THAT put Wilcox's panties in a knot! Especially if Wilcox has not been advanced to the peerage. I don't know, does that come with the admiralty? Or can Wilcox still be a bit of a commonor with rank?

I hope he doesn't leave without his little Welshman! And there is still the matter of a fitting for his ermin robes. And Caroline must have time to fawn over her husbands new fortune. But nothing will please George more right now than to get one over on Admiral Wilcox. Perhaps Mark can arrange for Wilcox to step on his dick firmly before the King this time. So many men to do and so little time. And where was Winkler? I didn't see him acknowledged when he arrived at the abby. Was he captured by the press gang before he made it to the abby?

Something tells me this adventure is going to be a struggle before they ever leave port.

WILCOX! The name is an afront in itself.Perhaps he will insult the King in this action and be forced into retirement. Wouldn't that gripe him? His retirement would move Granger up one more notch in the post! I believe Mann already had to go didn't he? Wasn't he the one that was retired the last trip. And the same one that was sitting in port doing nothing and tried to hold Granger there to toy with him when he escaped with the fever flag?

Damn, its a bitch getting old. Got CRS (Can't Remember Shit)

Yes, and what OF Freddie and Davina? Did he perhpas knock her up twice? Has he been set free and become a wild sex fiend? Will he save the day being at the docks or has he set sail already?

And Arthur is a bit of a loose cannon. I don't think he will make the sailing. Perhaps Sir Phillip will be the new governor. And will he confide in Granger that he had to do the dirty deed for the brotherhood? Will he show granger the letter telling him that it was going to fall on him during the voyage and that Kerry could not leave him to murder his old friend? And wil Kerry then be taken ill with the fever and take his guilt to the grave? Lots of ways for this to go. I only wish that Cavendish was going along. Somehow I think that he is the true love tht is meant for Granger. Time will tell.

Will Calvert fall prey to Admiral Wilcox just to get back at Granger? So much intrigue, so little time.

I got to thinking, the Spithead and Nore mutinies started in or about April/May of 1797. I have to wonder if Wilcox's actions in trying to press Granger's men couldn't be used as a way to instigate or touch on those mutinies. I know that the Spithead mutiny was rather quick and ended with both sides getting something. It seems to me that the Nore mutiny ended more bloody and quite a few were hanged for their parts in it. Maybe we could get rid of Wilcox or two in the mutiny???

• Like 1

Great chapter, and it looks as if the next one will be even more interesting...it certainly appears like we are building up to some sort of clash.

The promotion to Viscount was interesting in so far that I never knew how that took place. I was assuming it would be more ritualistic, like the Knight of the Bath ceremony, rather than just a proclamation in the Privy Council Chambers. So does that mean that Granger as a lord outranks Wilcox who is an admiral? But then there is the command structure of the Navy, and since Granger is a naval captain, I would imagine Wilcox would prevail that way...Posted Image Posted Image

It occurs to me that the issue of the men being rounded up by the press even though they are signed on to Granger's ship and currently residing on Granger's property makes me wonder if pressing them would even be legal. Couldn't George tell them to fuck off, they're mine, signed, sealed and delivered??? Do press gangs have unlimited power? Can Granger, now a Viscount override their claims? It seems counter-productive for the press to take Granger's men when they are all ready assigned to a ship. It's like stealing. Hmmm, maybe that is the purpose in the first place...Posted Image

I'm guessing that Wilcox didn't get the memo.

Surprise! Perhaps the King will get into the matter? Wouldn't want to be a Wilcox when THAT happens. Especially if he has no peerage. But I recall Granger refering to him as my lord so maybe he does. But in either case it would be interesting to see George done wrong directly by Wilcox and have him introduced in court by his lordship, the Viscount of Brentwood and watch the color drain from Wilcox's face as he realises he screwed the pooch royally. Especially if the King has a look of disdain on his face. Perhaps he will be made admiral of the china seas.

It's a nice thought. Perhaps he can take Bertie and Davina with him. But I suspect their tunes have changed with Bertie's new freedom. Maybe he'll even dump Davina. For a guy? Maybe? That would certainly add a twist to the stories panties.

I did a quick re-read and can't find any mention of any of the Wilcox's having a title other than their Navy positions. It was a quick re-read so I might have missed it. That being said, no matter what Granger's title is, Wilcox will always outrank him in the navy, unless something extrodinary happens, like Granger being made High Lord Admiral at some point... Where Granger will always have it over Wilcox is in society, and in the time the story takes place; that is truly the important factor.

SO the honorific of "My Lord" when used to address an admiral does not indicater a title other than the naval rank I presume. Still, those who rule the upper land levels of the military are securely tied to the aristocrisy. That MUST provide a certain amout of pull and protection. And messing with Granger could bring a pile od crap that even an admiral would like to avoid. But he has been an admiral and his friends might be few but placement is key. But so far I haven't seen anyone who particularly likes them. Now if they have friends in the house of lords that might make a difference. I don't have a clue.

But it's winding up to be a really interesting show that we are about to see. Its one of the things I love about Mark's creativity. He knows exactly where it is heading and he gives just enough clues to make the deabte lively.

One question I have though, is anyone in the brotherhood tied to the Wilcox/Mann clans? That could make them set Granger up to take care of Arthur. I think Kerry would know he couldn't do it of course and would take on the task himself out of love for Granger. I think Cavenish should attend this trip. Granger always told him he would be pleased to have him back if he felt the desire. Given the destination however, his family might protest.

More possibilities, more intrigue. I can't wait. Loving this one already and they haven't even left the port.

Friday, waiting for Saturday night or Sunday for my next Granger fix.....Posted Image

The last chapter left me wondering if George and his merry band would avoid the press gang and make it back to the ship without incident. I trust MA will make it interesting.Posted Image

Friday, waiting for Saturday night or Sunday for my next Granger fix.....Posted Image

The last chapter left me wondering if George and his merry band would avoid the press gang and make it back to the ship without incident. I trust MA will make it interesting.Posted Image

He just posted the third chapter of Paternity. I think we're next. Posted Image

Oh, that mutiny...I guess I should read up on it so I'll know if Mark is accurate...Posted Image I loved the confrontation with Wilcox...but I thought they were going to yellow him out???

I wonder what Granger is going to do about the mutiny...I don't think the demands are too much and I don't think Granger thinks so either. I know the thinking was different in that time period but common sense says "fix the problem" so we can get on with the war! It must have turned out all right 'cause England is still there! It was pretty ballsy for them to protest, though. One would think that England would learn a little from the french about dealing with the lower classes...disparity can only go on for so long before something has to change. I see this mutiny as a warning sign...maybe the king will intervene...maybe I should read up on this!

• Like 1

Well, I mentioned both the Spithead and Nore mutinies in an earlier post but had no idea they would play a role in this story; my idea was this was a way to get rid of another Wilcox... The Spithead mutiny took place first and this is the one they are dealing with or about to start dealing with. The mutiny lasted for almost a month and in the end the matter was settled quite satisfactorily. The men got a raise, the purser's pound was eliminated, and several officers were transferred or removed. There was little actual reprecussions from the mutiny and all those that participated in it received a Royal Pardon from the King.

Unfortunately the Nore Mutiny was not so easy to deal with and the reprecussions were quite severe with a number of the men in the mutiny being executed. The demands made at Nore went well beyond the bounds of Navy life however, and there really was no way for them to be honored. Maybe when that one happens, Wilcox can be killed accidently??? Isn't he posted at the Nore?

I was glad to see George and Caroline have started to mend their relationship. I am not sure that the healing is complete but it is obvious that they have started to come back together as a couple.

You just know that Granger will play a pivotal role in the calming of the Spithead mutiny and just bring more honor onto himself... Wonderful chapter Mark, a great treat for this Sunday.

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..