Open Club  ·  280 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

Oh, that mutiny...I guess I should read up on it so I'll know if Mark is accurate...Posted Image I loved the confrontation with Wilcox...but I thought they were going to yellow him out???

I wonder what Granger is going to do about the mutiny...I don't think the demands are too much and I don't think Granger thinks so either. I know the thinking was different in that time period but common sense says "fix the problem" so we can get on with the war! It must have turned out all right 'cause England is still there! It was pretty ballsy for them to protest, though. One would think that England would learn a little from the french about dealing with the lower classes...disparity can only go on for so long before something has to change. I see this mutiny as a warning sign...maybe the king will intervene...maybe I should read up on this!

I think it's interesting that the word "mutiny" is usually bandied about to reference the Bounty or the Hermione, both much more tragic issues. Spithead was basically a labor strike, and a rather civilized one at that. The Nore was an entirely different affair. Here's some good background information on it.

Oh, that mutiny...I guess I should read up on it so I'll know if Mark is accurate...Posted Image I loved the confrontation with Wilcox...but I thought they were going to yellow him out???.....

....... I see this mutiny as a warning sign...maybe the king will intervene...maybe I should read up on this!

I believe it was Vice Admiral Mann, a Wilcox relative that was yellowed out when he returned with his fleet to England against orders... There were actually two mutinies, the one at Spithead and the one at Nore. History is one of my favorite subjects so I agree everyone should read up on it some. There are a couple of good historical refrences to check and Herman Melville's novel "Billy Budd" was based on the mutiny. In addition, "H.M.S. Defiant" is a British film about a ship that mutinies during this time. It had some truly great acting and was historically accurate in many ways, although not about everything... Alex Guinness played the Captain in the movie and was truly great... Dirk Bogarde played the 1st Lt, it is his behaviour that causes the crew to mutiny; he is really good as a truly evil man...

Poor Lord Spencer. Reminds me of the Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times!" Spit and then Nore!

The Odyssey has an interesting beginning and is already through Chapter 5 before any sailing of the "B" has even begun and it could well be a few more weeks in the late 1790's before the voyage actually commences.

In Granger v. Wilcox, it definitely appears Lord Spencer had looked to Granger for advice instead of his pomposity, the Admiral.

An excellent adventure. Was pleased to see Lord Cavendish appear. I hope he realizes how much he misses it and chooses to stay on board. At LEAST until a prize needs sending home. A split between Winkler and Jeffers? Well that is the choice isn't it? I can't picture Granger without Winkler. But Granger did just promise to set Jeffers up with some press protection. And Winkler is already a member of the house hold staff. So who will stay and who will go? There IS a replacement for Winkler already but . . .

Caroline has come back to him in full measure, I'm glad to see that. And Wilcox was fit to be tied. That was priceless. I wonder if his punishment will be getting sent to the Nore? A place of little prize and deadly dullness. That confrontation is yet to occur and Lord Spencer will surely put him firmly in place. And telling Wilcox to call him "My Lord" had to be humiliating to him. And frustrating that he could not have him arrested. Wilcox should be spitting mad when he sees him in the company of Lord Spencer.

Which brings me to the question. Granger has yet to be assigned to a new flag. Or is he still under Jervis? It was never asked or made clear why Lord Spencer called for Granger in the first place. What is it that he hoped Granger could do? Why did he not call for Admiral Wilcox? It would seem that rank would play a great roll in this situation. And why was the aristocracy not involved? Those in command who were also peers? And what of the King? Surely he must be aware and have opinions? Directives? So why Granger? Only a captain. It will be interesting when Wilcox appears with the other Admirals and promotes mass hangings and floggings and Granger, a mere Captain champions the ideas that bring this to an equitable end. Perhaps he will suggest a little less prize money for the top and a bit more for the men in exchange for an acquiescence for something like more shore leave.

Anyways, I'll await impatiently for the next three chapters of Paternity so that we will see how it goes. Oh and will this mutiny, cause a delay as such that Arthur must meet his demise? Time will tell.

Poor Lord Spencer. Reminds me of the Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times!" Spit and then Nore!

The Odyssey has an interesting beginning and is already through Chapter 5 before any sailing of the "B" has even begun and it could well be a few more weeks in the late 1790's before the voyage actually commences.

In Granger v. Wilcox, it definitely appears Lord Spencer had looked to Granger for advice instead of his pomposity, the Admiral.

OH! A peerage for Wilcox! Lord Pomposity! I like it. A peerage without status or merit. How delightful would that be?

My reference to yellowing out Wilcox was to when Granger met with Jervis at the admiralty and Jervis had suggested it. I never heard any more about it and was wondering, that's all.

Thanks for the URLs on the British naval history. It made for some interesting reading, and now I am wondering what Granger will be able to affect with the mutineers? Or if he will have much part to play in it at all. I am curious as to why Spencer wanted him along though. He must have some sort of plan.

Another interesting chapter. Most interesting because Mark has us all guessing about how Granger fits into this mutiny resolution and why a mere would be summoned as one Spenser's advisers.

I am one of loyal fans that want to see this latest blowhard Wilcox make a fool of himself with this latest conflict. I'm afraid this mutiny will get in the way and Wilcox won't get kicked in the ass.

Sunday morning and Daddy Dave is impatiently waiting for the next chapter in dear Georgie's saga!

:( I've only seen two chapters of Paternity go by. That means either I missed it or we have one more before our George fix Posted Image

Posted Image I've only seen two chapters of Paternity go by. That means either I missed it or we have one more before our George fix Posted Image

With Mr. Arbour you never know and I bet he sneaks one in just after I've gone to bed tonight!Posted Image

• Like 1

I went to the London portrait gallery today - got to see a few of the faces from this series Posted Image. Was very weird walking around and thinking of Granger.

What? And you didn't take any pictures of the pictures to share? Posted Image
  • Like 1

Well, the latest chapter is up and once again, a very well done chapter from our Mr. Arbour. We all understand about life and you have to live yours, we will all just have to take what we can get from your posting schedule...

I really like how Granger and Cavendish seem to be able to fall back into such a level of intimacy so quickly with each other. I really can't see Cavendish's father agreeing to his son going off to the Far East considering the last two times he shipped out with Granger, he came home hurt and then lame. I don't doubt that Cavendish could easily handle the position of first Lt, but as the son of a great house, he does have other responsibilities...

I can't wait to see how Granger is able to bring the Lords around to understanding that they are going to have to give in on some of the demands of those that are leading the mutiny. This doesn't mean meeting all the demands but as we know from history, the main two demands are met. I have never been an ageist but I do think it is a little out of sorts to have someone in their 70's in charge of such an important fleet. It does seem that their energy level and other considerations would work against that working out well for everyone.

I really don't think I could deal with Davina having George's child, that would be just too much.... I am glad that Freddie and Davina have worked out their issues, but I still don't trust either one of them, especially Davina. It just seems to me that anyone that was willing to go to the lengths that she has already will find an excuse to do something else untold....

Another great chapter Mark. I was hoping for a little action but I understand the foundation must be set. It is still unclear why Granger is there. The speculation is rather just that, speculative. We will have to see what Lord Spencer has up his sleeve. I expect at some point they will have to ask him to chime in on the issues. Even that will be political acrobats as he is so far down the ladder rank wise, even though he has a peerage and a seat.

It seems the two issues solved are the purser's pound and the wages. Both seem unfair in their very nature. Almost to the point of being viewed as blatant corruption. And as it was stated, their actions were almost civilized, if there is any such thing as a civilized mutiny.

I would still like to see Cavendish on board for this trip. They are too close to be separated that long from each other. There is genuine love between them. Again, the question of Arthur has not been addressed. There is no way that I can see that he will make this voyage.

And that brings us to Lady Davina. Cavendish certainly called that one. The question is will it be enough for them to stay or will the King press on that they must still go into exile? Or will Mark do us all a favor and have her meet with an accident thus freeing Freddie from her bonds? Or perhaps will he be asked to replace his brother most urgently with Arthur's demise? There are so many possibilities. I can't wait to see what intrigue Mark weaves into this whole situation. Well done Mark. I hope we see a little action soon. I'd like to see Granger away from port as quickly as he would. The politics of London make a round the world trip almost desirable. Even with the possibilities for the fever.

I was off reading a story on my Kindle an didn't check GA until I was ready to retire and lo and behold another chapter was posted earlier this evening.

Well I read it and found it to raise more questions than it answered. However, I suspect that was intentional and that subsequent chapters may be similar.....Posted Image

What? And you didn't take any pictures of the pictures to share? Posted Image

I don't really know anything about this historical era - so seeing which characters made it into the history books (or the gallery of the portraits) made me think there must be a few twists and turns if Mark keeps up the series Posted Image. [but im hopeless at dates] Edited by Celes

Well, the new chapter is up and what a great one. I just love how Mark is developing this story. The way he is mixing the events of the day into the reality of the story is just great.

I really like how the Earl called it, Granger will be seen as a sage since we all know that in the end the government does exactly what he said and was printed in the paper. It will make it look like he was more closely alligned with the King than the Lords of the Admiralty were in this instance.

The way George handled the situation with Freddie and Davina was well done as well, I guess we can't really kill Davina off now, can we???? I still want to know the issue between Cavendish and Davina. I wonder if Freddie will still have to go off or will they both get to stay in London???

Well, it seems we lost the Welsh midshipman to another ship and Cavendish all but stated he wasn't going to go to keep an eye on the situation at home; so have to wonder who the 1st Lt is going to end up being. I can't see Robey being senior enough to hold onto the position but we will see.

I guess really since Granger has played his part in setting the end position of the mutiny at Spithead, he could really go ahead and sail since he has a full crew, at least as soon as he gets all the officers and provisions loaded. I still wonder who his final passenger list will include; will Sir Arthur and Sir Phillip be the passengers or someone else????

I just can't wait...

Edited by centexhairysub
  • Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..