Open Club  ·  280 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

• 2 weeks later...

Salt water does that to them.  Or maybe that's rusty nails. 

You'll be happy to know that I've actually knocked out the first few chapters of the next book.  I didn't want to start posting until I had more in hand, to minimize lengthy delays between postings.

• Like 5

Salt water does that to them.  Or maybe that's rusty nails. 

You'll be happy to know that I've actually knocked out the first few chapters of the next book.  I didn't want to start posting until I had more in hand, to minimize lengthy delays between postings.

Excellent news.  I can understand you wanting to wait, but at the same time as a Granger fan I hope the delay is not too long.  However, we (the Fans of Granger) will accept what we get when we get it. 

• Like 1

Excellent news.  I can understand you wanting to wait, but at the same time as a Granger fan I hope the delay is not too long.  However, we (the Fans of Granger) will accept what we get when we get it. 

I'm thinking about how to proceed.  I'll keep you posted.

So we can speculate that the next book will be "The Valiant". SWEET. So that tells us That Granger won't be landlocked for long.

And Mark, I would think the posting process has remained the same. I mean, you're still posting 911. So figuring out how to proceed should not be that difficult. IF however, you're beginning to lose your nouns and such . . .

Well it happens to all of us at some point in time. I mean, you ARE coming up on your 30th anniversary of your 21st birthday right?

But it's ok, we have helpers.

:rofl:

Yet it is curious that HMS Valiant was a 74-gun ship of the line (a two-decker) while the ship pictured is not.  :devil:

For those of you of a more "investigative" nature, You got a picture here of a ship that most assuredly IS NOT the HMS Valiant.

You got a bigger clue about the next book than you bargained for, me thinks.

I speculate that ' Valiant ' is a red herring. It looked more like a frigate. Now, ' that's rusty nails ' is of interest.

A rusty nail , is an excellant drink: two shots of Scotch Whiskey, one shot of Drambuie (real men don't use ice) and for scurvy's sake a twist of lemon skin / with no white (white would make it bitter), oh and stir with a finger, sticks are for kids.. Slainte mhor a h-uile la a chi's nach fhaic.

or

Rusty nails could also be the result to a frigate that caught fire and was doused with sea water (corrosive stuff that). Said frigate then had to go in for extensive and lengthy repairs (a year or two ?). Can anyone guess its name ?

What I gave above, was something I heard thirty plus years ago at a Black Watch (RHC) mess diner. The Guest of Honor had been a member of the Devils' Brigade.

The closest I could find to match it is:

Slàinte maith, h-uile latha, na chi 'snach fhaic!
(Good health, every day, whether I see you or not!)

(Particularly appropriate for e-mail only friends?)

What I gave above, was something I heard thirty plus years ago at a Black Watch (RHC) mess diner. The Guest of Honor had been a member of the Devils' Brigade.

The closest I could find to match it is:

Slàinte maith, h-uile latha, na chi 'snach fhaic!

(Good health, every day, whether I see you or not!)

(Particularly appropriate for e-mail only friends?)

I couldn't get Google to do much with it that made sense. I knew it wasn't Canadian eh! regardless of how good the beer is.

lol

The piture labelled Valiant is of HMS Indefatigable which was a razeed(cut down) 64 gun third rate ship of the line[three decks] into a 44gun(mainly carronades) fifth rate frigate[two decks].  Probably the most sucessful frigate of the War.  She was sucessful because of her gun power was more powerful than other frigates and her sailing ability. She is know for being captained by Sir Edward Pellow, who handled her very sucessfully(before 1800) and for her joint capture of the Spainish Gold fleet.  The spainish fleet was detained during a peace interval and the cargo (several years of income from South America) was in todays value tens of billion of pounds. This did not go as prze money but went to the Admiralty. Prize money only covered war prizes.

The picture is quite famous but I cannot remember the artist.

HMS Valiant of this time was a 74 gun thirrd rate ship of the line[three decks]

So I would suggest a valiant cruise on a not very profitable ship?

Edited by Red_A
  • Like 3

The piture labelled Valiant is of HMS Indefatigable which was a razeed(cut down) 64 gun third rate ship of the line[three decks] into a 44gun(mainly carronades) fifth rate frigate[two decks].  Probably the most sucessful frigate of the War.  She was sucessful because of her gun power was more powerful than other frigates and her sailing ability. She is know for being captained by Sir Edward Pellow, who handled her very sucessfully(before 1800) and for her joint capture of the Spainish Gold fleet.  The spainish fleet was detained during a peace interval and the cargo (several years of income from South America) was in todays value tens of billion of pounds. This did not go as prze money but went to the Admiralty. Prize money only covered war prizes.

The picture is quite famous but I cannot remember the artist.

HMS Valiant of this time was a 74 gun thirrd rate ship of the line[three decks]

So I would suggest a valiant cruise on a not very profitable ship?

SWEEET! Another expert to add to the history lesson. Thanks so much Red_A I've not seen you here before so excuse me if I'm late in welcoming you. But you are certainly welcome. I love it when we get super-sleuths who are also super knowledgeable about all things Naval, particularly of this time period. Because of folks like you Westie and a lot of others and of course Marks superb weaving of history into this incredible series I've found another love. (Something about a guy in uniform, ya know? Or out. :*) )

• 6 months later...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..