[Jwolf] The English Year

Hey folks! The next chapter is up! I hope everyone had a great long week. As always, I look forward to hearing your thoughts and comments on this chapter. Find it here, and let me know what you think!

• Like 2

Yeah. But we had hints there. I still loved that little moment when Pete realized that Corbin got saying "killer" from Mike.

Really good chapter, JWolf. We now know for sure that this thing isn't all in Corbin's head- there's something there, even if Pete won't admit it.

Anyway, this is the "companion piece" tune to the chapter. It won Best Song at the Oscars in 2008.

That song is such an emotional gut-punch.

I've felt for quite a while that this is going to end with some version of: Having no or next-to-no association with either guy, and ending up in a really bad place in general, one that leaves a story ending of having lessons to learn and/or still dealing with fallout to this day.

Each chapter that goes by, makes me think that much more that that's what's waiting for us at the end of this slow train.

• Like 1

I've felt for quite a while that this is going to end with some version of: Having no or next-to-no association with either guy, and ending up in a really bad place in general, one that leaves a story ending of having lessons to learn and/or still dealing with fallout to this day.

Each chapter that goes by, makes me think that much more that that's what's waiting for us at the end of this slow train.

Agreed  :/  Corbin's got his own limitations, and he's surrounded by potential pitfalls--the fraternity, the parents, the administration. It feels like his manipulation and arrogance are going to really screw things up in some way--not just with boyfriends but with the school.  Yeesh. Makes me queasy.

Hey, kinda random, but thanks for the Joe Flacco reference, JWolf. As a proud UD alumni, it was quite the big deal when the Ravens won the 2012 Super Bowl. (Although it kinda pissed Mark off.)

Hey folks! The next chapter is ready and posted! Find it here. It was another personal chapter for me to write, but we're getting to the point where all the chapters are pretty personal chapters. Still, some parts with some humor in them (hopefully). I hope you'll enjoy it, leave me a review or a comment and let me know what you think!

I like that Pete was allowed to be a major douche in this chapter. It made him feel more real and less the blank slate that Corbin projects his fantasies on.

I also feel really, really bad for Mike. My guess is that when they started going all the way (before that, Corbin hinted that they stuck to handjobs/blowjobs), Mike started developing feelings for Corbin. Sometimes sex can create an intimate bond, and in Mike's case, it did.

Corbin wanting to make a comical lunge at Austin with a butter knife while at brunch was pretty funny. I mean, it's BRUNCH.

SPEECHLESS! On the other hand, Corbin, I cried with you cos I've been there. And once you've been there, the second time isn't so bad. Oops. Lol. Man, you really rocked Chu's boat there. As for Pete, well, he isn't showing you enough love. He has never convinced me that his feelings were real for you. The real you. Not the I like Pete as a friend you. And there has been no reciprocation nor adoration. You made a mistake goddammit! Where did you put that butter knife! Eish Corb, I know a great shrink if you ever need one.

Mike, I knew from the getgo that you'd fall in love with Corb.But love is love no matter how little the quantity. I hope this all pans out well for you. I'm paddling your boat, Mike. Pete deserves a butter knife!

J. No words anymore. You are my fave writer . That means you are the best.Your writing skills have grown in leaps and bounds over the years. I hope that one day it pays off. The English Year needs a mainstream publisher. You are a story teller of the highest order.

Hugs n respect always.

The problem with the Good Ship Mike is that, while Pete is pretending to be doing girls as a form of ugly revenge, Mike really is doing girls as a cover up. Are there NO out gay guys on campus to compete with all this craziness? You've got to wonder what makes Corbin such a glutton for punishment.

Irritable, I think that's the age old question young gays have been asking themselves for a while now. I remember conversations with friends of mine asking that. Look for one of those convos to pop up soon. In short, no clue what makes gay guys so drawn to the straight guy, but Corbin definitely has a complex.

Louis, thanks again for a great compliment. You helped build the foundation. Glad the story continues to be gripping :)

Gripping is a good word. I feel like I'm watching a train wreck in slow-, fast-, slow-, fast-motion. It speeds up one moment and I feel the collision is eminent and then suddenly the wheels are back inline. You know people are going to be hurt when it finally happens but you hope no one is crushed when it does. Excellent is another good word.

Didn't Corbin say in an earlier chapter that they went to a pretty conservative school, in the conservative part of Virginia? It'd make sense that there aren't that many openly gay guys there.

Didn't Corbin say in an earlier chapter that they went to a pretty conservative school, in the conservative part of Virginia? It'd make sense that there aren't that many openly gay guys there.

Oh, it definitely makes sense... but it seems to me (in my 40s, admittedly :rolleyes: ) that even celibacy would be a better bet for Corbin than either Pete or Mike. This is really an epic level of being jerked around.

Oh, it definitely makes sense... but it seems to me (in my 40s, admittedly :rolleyes: ) that even celibacy would be a better bet for Corbin than either Pete or Mike. This is really an epic level of being jerked around.

A level that he himself has contributed a great deal to being at. :P

A level that he himself has contributed a great deal to being at. :P

You know, I find power-mongers like Corbin really unsympathetic, and yet jwolf has reduced me to such a state that Corbin's my poor pathetic woobie  :P  That's good writing!

The problem with the Good Ship Mike is that, while Pete is pretending to be doing girls as a form of ugly revenge, Mike really is doing girls as a cover up. Are there NO out gay guys on campus to compete with all this craziness? You've got to wonder what makes Corbin such a glutton for punishment.

You really think Pete is pretending? I don't want to have to change boats at this point. But yes, Pete hit back with a low blow and Corbs is hitting back with an even stronger raquette. Ping pong ping pong ping pong. But all this is really making for a damned good read. In the end there may only be Corb and his nemories, but its the experience that counts.

• Like 1

You really think Pete is pretending? I don't want to have to change boats at this point. But yes, Pete hit back with a low blow and Corbs is hitting back with an even stronger raquette. Ping pong ping pong ping pong. But all this is really making for a damned good read. In the end there may only be Corb and his nemories, but its the experience that counts.

LOL, I certainly hope he's pretending, because otherwise we have to feel sorry for poor Dakota too.  But yeah, we have no proof that they proceeded to follow through. 

Would you really switch boats over whether Pete had sex with Dakota or not? I feel like the message is even more pettily cruel if he didn't. Edit: God, something about this chapter really has hit me right in the Angry Feels.

Edited by Irritable1

Uh oh. What are the angry feels?

LOL, that which causes a reader to become irrationally angry at a fictional character? In a specific sense though, I think it's that, if there were a Straight Friends' Code of Conduct, Pete has violated every clause by now. Flirting, jealousy, being a dog in the manger, he's done it all!

• 2 weeks later...