Are you ready to trade .... recipes?

I was wondering if anyone has ever used edible gold or silver in cooking (leaf/petals/dust/whatever)?

Admittedly, it's not the first thing you think of to use, but I've use silver dust quite a lot, but only because it's relatively cheap. I pay about £10 for a 0.5g jar, which usually lasts me about nine months (but has a shelf live of at least double that).

Rigatoni alla Bolognese

3 stalks celery, chopped fine

2 medium carrots, chopped fine

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 medium onion, chopped fine

4 oz. (about 5 strips) good quality-bacon bacon, cut into ½ in. pieces

1 lb. good-quality ground beef

1 lb. Italian sausage, hot or mild, ground or removed from casing

2 Tbs. Italian seasoning

2 (28 oz.) whole peeled canned tomatoes, San Marzano if available

1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste

2 Tbs. sugar

1 c. red wine

1½ c. beef broth

1 Tbs. kosher salt

1 Tsp. freshly ground black pepper

1 c. half-in-half, heavy cream or milk

1 lb. thick-cut egg (like pappardelle) or tube-shaped pasta

S & P to taste

½ c. Parmigiano Reggiano, plus more for garnish

Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish

Cook the meat and veggies. In a large, heavy bottomed saucepan, cook the bacon over medium heat. When it starts to get crispy, drain off half the fat. Add the veggies and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add both meats and sauté until brown. Mix in the tomatoes, Italian seasoning, sugar, and tomato paste, breaking up the tomatoes slightly.

Add liquids and leave to simmer. Stir in the red wine and the beef broth, and simmer over medium-low heat for 1.5-2.5 hours. At this point, the sauce will have thickened and reduced by almost half. Add the half-and-half, salt and pepper, and simmer over low heat for 20-30 minutes more. Salt and pepper to taste.

Cook the pasta, add sauce, and garnish. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in salted boiling water until al dente. Drain in a colander and return to pot over low heat. Ladle in a few cups of Bolognese sauce, stirring to coat the pasta. Add more sauce as desired. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Remove from heat and pour into serving dish. Top with chopped fresh parsley and more Parmesan

============================================

I cooked this Sunday and it was awesome. It smells so good cooking, you'll want to eat it on the spot.

• 4 months later...

Was trying to find something new to eat and came across this. Actually was really good and different

A Light Salad

1 large Romaine Lettuce

1 box of Cherry Tomatoes

1/4 of a large Red Onion

1/2 of a Watermelon

1 container of Raspberries

Now usually if you hear about raspberries in a salad it is usually in a vinaigrette. Not here. Instead the lettuce was washed and sliced, the cherry tomatoes were rinsed and dropped into the bowl. A quarter of a red onion was sliced up extra fine and scattered in. Then the watermelon was cut in half and using a melon baller was scooped out and dropped into the salad. Finally the raspberries were rinsed and tossed in too. It was topped off with a little EVOO and then served. It was light, refreshing, and the flavors were really good. Who knew?

Edited by comicfan

:)

I don't remember if I posted here before, but I'm a major foodie! I love eating all kinds of food, and after moving out from the parents I started cooking too. Right now I'm trying to master Bangladeshi cuisine, desserts and a few other favourites. Recipe below is a type of curry that's cooked in many Bangladeshi households - it was created when people started experimenting with new, imported ingredients.

Chicken ketchup curry

Ingredients

1 onion

1 tablespoon of garlic paste

1 tablespoon of ginger paste

6 to 7 cardamoms

4 to 5 2 cm cinnamon sticks

Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Chilli powder, to taste

1.00 kg of chicken on the bone, cut into appropriate pieces

7 to 8 pieces of fresh green chilli

2.00 tablespoons of tomato ketchup

Salt, to taste

Method

Heat some oil in a pot, chop up the onions and fry them for a few minutes on medium heat until they soften and go translucent. Transfer the onions to a bowl and set aside.

In the same pot add the ginger paste, garlic paste and chilli powder and fry for 5 to 6 minutes, adding a little boiling water to the mixture now and again when it starts drying out.

Add the chicken to the spice mixture along with cinnamon sticks, cardamoms, black pepper powder and salt, stirring to mix everything together thoroughly.

Turn the heat down to medium low and cook the dish uncovered for 15 minutes. When it starts to dry out, add 2 cups of boiling water to the pot.

Turn the heat down low and partially cover the pot and cook for a further 30 minutes, adding the onions previously set aside at the 15 minute mark.

After that add the fresh chilli and continue the cooking for anther 5 to 6 minutes. Finally add the tomato ketchup and keep the dish on heat for another 5 to 6 min. Serve with rice.

Yum, now I'm hungry.

A GA cookbook, great idea, maybe with a little corner for the vegetarians? I'd translate my vegetarian lasagna recipe, if anyone is interested.

Okay. Sorry about that. :P What about my favorite tiramisu recipe, slightly changed, from food network?

Ingredients:

7 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup sweet marsala, plus 2 tablespoons for the chocolate sauce
8 ounces mascarpone, softened to room temperature
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup brewed espresso coffee
1 ounce dark chocolate
1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
48 ladyfingers
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Cream together egg yolks and sugar in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Add 1/3 cup of the marsala and continue to whisk until mixture is thick and doubled in volume. Remove from heat. Stir in the mascarpone until completely blended.

In a chilled bowl, whip the heavy cream to soft peaks. Fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture.

In a small saucepan, combine espresso, chocolate, vanilla, and remaining 2 tablespoons marsala. Heat gently, and stir to dissolve the chocolate. Then, chill the mixture to cool it down, about 15 minutes. Quickly dip each ladyfinger in the chilled coffee mixture and arrange in a single layer on a 9 by 13-inch glass baking pan. Spread 1/2 the mascarpone cream evenly on top of the dipped ladyfingers. Repeat with a second layer of dipped ladyfingers and remaining mascarpone cream. Sprinkle top with cocoa powder. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight before serving.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

A traditional English dessert, and a great way to use up any meringue nests you may have left over to avoid throwing them away.

Eton Mess (serves 4, or a gluttonous 2)

Ingredients:

10 ½ fl oz/ 300 ml double cream or whipping cream (single cream is not a suitable lower fat alternative for this recipe; low fat trifle toppings are okay, but not perfect as a lower fat option. You need to simply accept this is not the healthiest dessert in the world.)

2 x 1 tbsp icing sugar (also referred to as confectioner’s sugar or powder sugar)

4 meringue nests

1 lb/ 450g fresh strawberries

Preparation:

1. Place the whipping cream in a large mixing bowl, add 1 tbsp of the icing sugar, and whip with an electric whisk until the cream is light and fluffy. Do not overwhip, the dish requires softly whipped cream, not thick “dropping” cream

2. Put the meringue nests into a sandwich bag (or similar plastic bag), hold it closed, and using a rolling pin (or other such blunt instrument), smack it about until the meringue has been broken up. The slightly more civilised among you, can break them up using your hands (but it’s not as much fun).

3. Fold the broken up meringue into the whipped cream.

4. Take all but four of the strawberries, cut them into halves (or quarters if they are big strawberries) and stir into the cream/meringue mix. It’s best to cut them over the bowl with the cream mix in so that any juices released go into the bowl.

5. Place the cream/meringue/strawberry mixture into a large trifle dish and chill for 30 minutes in the fridge.

6. Quarter the remaining strawberries and put them over the Eton Mess. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tbsp of icing sugar before serving.

Alternately, (and my personal preference) serve the Eton Mess in individual trifle glasses.

I love strawberries and meringue - I am gonna try this recipe - sounds delicious, Andy :thumbup:  ^_^

And Waynes lemon chicken recipe too !!! Yummmmmm ! :)

Edited by slytherin

If you want to really impress your dinner guests, try this recipe that I found at smittenkitchen.com. 

Chocolate Stout Cake

1 cup stout (such as Guinness) [i used Highland Black Mocha Stout for more chocolate flavor]
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-process)
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup sour cream
6 ounces good semisweet chocolate chips
6 tablespoons heavy cream
3/4 teaspoon instant coffee granules

Cake prep:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter or spray a bundt pan well; make sure you get in all of the nooks and crannies. (Some people even go so far as to brush the inside of their bundt pans with melted butter–you cannot be too careful!). [use the baker's spray or flour pan after greasing]

Bring 1 cup stout and 1 cup butter to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add cocoa powder and whisk until mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.

Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and 3/4 teaspoon salt in large bowl to blend.

Using electric mixer, beat eggs and sour cream in another large bowl to blend.

Add stout-chocolate mixture to egg mixture and beat just to combine.

Add flour mixture and beat briefly on slow speed. Using rubber spatula, fold batter until completely combined.

Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.

Transfer cake to rack; cool completely in the pan, then turn cake out onto rack for drizzling ganache.*

Ganache:

For the ganache, melt the chocolate, heavy cream, and coffee in the top of a double boiler over simmering water until smooth and warm, stirring occasionally. [or you can just warm it in the microwave stirring every 30 seconds or so]

Drizzle over the top of cooled cake.

I served the cake with:

Cherry Lambic Sorbet

[by Jeni Britton - found at foodandwine.com]

3 cups pitted sour cherries (18 ounces)
3/4 cup Sugar Syrup
1 cup cherry lambic beer

In a blender, puree the cherries until smooth.

Stir in the Sugar Syrup and the cherry lambic beer.

Pour the sorbet base into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Pack the sour-cherry lambic sorbet into a plastic container. Press a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the sorbet and close the container with an airtight lid. Freeze until firm, 4 hours.

The chocolate/cherry flavor combination was a winner.

cool.png ............Somewhat easy, Chicken Marango a 400 year old recipe commiserating the victory of Neapolitan over his victory.

I really hope you mean celebrating the victory of Napoleon... otherwise we are trying to cheer up a three flavored ice cream with this dish...

Also... yes, sometimes i will share. but not right now. i am currently tempting a half hour yeasted pizza dough from a Michelin stared chef with the promise of wedding cake.

Ok - where has this thread been hiding since I joined the sight last April?   I shared this recipe with Sasha a few weeks back. I know you Brits will be appalled at the amount of butter used so feel free to play with it. Sasha has started already.

I don't remember where I got this recipe from so I can't give proper credits, best I can do is say it isn't my own.  I have however experimented and have not yet found a fruit it doesn't work well with.  I reduce the sugar in the fruit cooking drastically, but cutting the sugar in the batter section was disastrous

Super easy Fruit Cobbler

For the fruit:

4 cups of fresh fruit prepared appropriately.   That means peal and cut to fairly large pieces for some, wash and stem for others etc

1 cup granulated sugar                                      I reduce this with some fruits to about 1/4 cup - depends on how sweet you want things.

For the batter:

1 c  all purpose flour    

1 c   sugar

3 tsp  baking powder

1 tsp salt

1 c milk

you also need 1 stick ( 1/4 pound)  of butter                     I told you that you Brits would be appalled

Pre heat oven to 350*F ( 177*C)

during the preheat place the butter in a 9x13 baking dish in the oven allowing it to melt and brown slightly

While things are heating:

Combine all dry ingredients for the batter and set aside

bring fruit and sugar to a boil forming a simple syrup 

Add milk to the batter and whisk till just combined - don't over do 

Pour batter over the melted butter

Pour fruit over batter

DO NOT STIR!

Bake till golden brown approximately 25 to 30 minutes, and not too wiggly.  About like a stiff Jello wiggle is good ( Thanks for the imagery Sasha!)

When in a particular hurry I have used canned peaches, fruit salad, and canned pie fillings in this.  Just make sure they are in syrup and not plane juice as the whole thing comes out runny with the juice packed fruits.   Do toss it into a microwave safe dish and warm it first tho or it really affects the cooking time.

Hubby wanted me to add:   Is great served warm from the oven with your favorite ice cream on top!

Edited by Kitt
  • Like 1

Ok - where has this thread been hiding since I joined the sight last April?   I shared this recipe with Sasha a few weeks back. I know you Brits will be appalled at the amount of butter used so feel free to play with it. Sasha has started already.

Super easy Fruit Cobbler

Hubby wanted me to add:   Is great served warm from the oven with your favorite ice cream on top!

Sasha adds: serve with evaporated milk. even better xxx

Ok - where has this thread been hiding since I joined the sight last April?  

I already mentioned it on the eh...other food channel. Nobody listens to me. :,(

Oh  I listened, just couldn't find it buried in the depths somewhere. Let's keep it going and up in the front of the forums!

I thought I linked it. :unsure: Sorry.

I made this recipe when I was too lazy to bake my friend a real chocolate cake. I was tempted to bake him those pillsbury ready made cake, but I know he'll just kill me for being lazy. So I got a bit creative and made a simple cake from my fridge. The name of the cake is a bit dodgy, since I just coined my friend who tasted it and he said, 'What the F$%k! It's a black forest fruity cake!'

OH MY F! Black Forest Fruity Cake

Ingredients:

1 Whole Seedless Water Melon

8 pcs. Large Strawberries

1/2 dozen of Fresh Blueberries

1/2 dozen Fresh Raspberries

2 pcs. of Kiwi Fruit

1 Bottle/Pack of Seeded or Unseeded Cherries

1/4 cup Freshly Squeezed Orange

1 pack Pistachios

1 pack of Almonds

1 pack of Nuts

2 packs of Cream Cheese

1 pack of Whipped Cream

8 tbsp. of Cocoa Powder

1 tbsp. of Salt

1/2 cup of sugar

1 pack of Chocolate Shavings

1/2 Baking Rum

Icing:

1.) Combine the 2 packs of cream cheese, 1 pack of whipped cream, the 5 tbsp. of cocoa powder and the 1/2 of cup of sugar in a large round bowl.

2.) Use a mixer to get an even consistency, or use a spatula in a clockwise direction.

Toppings:

1.) Diagonally cut the strawberries and kiwi fruit.

2.) I will just be writing something to fill up the step number two, so it would look like a list of some sort.

Base Cake:

1.) Cut your watermelon into the shape of a cake or use a bread cutter to perfect the round angles.

2.) Evenly mark a cross shaped line on top of your watermelon cake base, which acts as your gridline in putting in the fruits toppings.

3.) Sprinkle the rum all over the watermelon cake base. It will soak up the alcohol and make your friends tipsy, faster than Charlie Sheen on an 8 am binge.

4.) Spread the salt all over your watermelon cake base, because the salt will enhance the sweetness of the fruit.

5.) Layer your pseudo-chocolate icing cake on top and around your watermelon base cake.

6.) Lay your strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and kiwi, on top your cake and place some of the berries on the side.

7.) Beautifully sprinkle the pistachios, almonds and nuts all over the cake. Don't be a maniac by throwing everything in. It's not vomit.

8.) Dab 4 round slabs of the icing on the edge of the cross gridline.

9.) Put on the cherries on top of the dabbed icing. 4 cherries each corner.  It makes it look pretty and somewhat edible.

10.) Add a dash of the cocoa powder on top, and artistically layer your chocolate shavings all around your cake like Picasso.

11.) Put in the freezer, store while cold.

12.) And if your friends complain that it's not a cake.

13.) Tell them that you don't have the time to: temper a chocolate, perfectly layer a cake in a span of 3 hours, 

and that they be grateful it's not hospital jello.

14.) Expect them to be drunk thanks to the rum in the watermelon. If you didn't prepare anything, like any food at all. It's best to serve this first, and call it a night once they're falling on their chairs.

ENJOY AND SERVE!!!

• Like 1