Are you ready to trade .... recipes?

british-sausage-and-mashed-potatoes_zps0

According to the caption, this is British "traditional sausage and mashed potatoes".

I know the sausage and the mashed potatoes- what is that on the left side of the plate?

I am thinking its onions fried in the resultant drippings from a couple of slices of bacon.  Hubbies German grandma always did her onions, and a lot of other things, that way. There always seemed to be a mason jar of bacon drippings in the fridge for just such jobs.

• Like 1

british-sausage-and-mashed-potatoes_zps0

According to the caption, this is British "traditional sausage and mashed potatoes".

I know the sausage and the mashed potatoes- what is that on the left side of the plate?

I am thinking its onions fried in the resultant drippings from a couple of slices of bacon.  Hubbies German grandma always did her onions, and a lot of other things, that way. There always seemed to be a mason jar of bacon drippings in the fridge for just such jobs.

That my lovelies, is onion gravy. Total staple of the British diet and one of my dad's absolute favourite things. Caramelised onions, often in bacon dripping, in thick rich gravy. You can't just stand a spoon in mine, you can plant a flag and lean on it.

• Like 3

i cannot give you an actual whole recipe - because i am sworn to secrecy by the pizza guy. but...

thin crispy pizza base

• tomato and basil passata sauce
  • grated mozzarella
  • basil leaves
  • capers (trust me)
  • panchetta lardons 
  • caramelized red peppers
  • goats cheese (about three round slices for a 12 inch pizza)

Seriously, complete and total heaven.

• Like 2

Thanks Sasha!

Any chance we can get a recipe for your onion gravy?

errr....gravy doesn't have a recipe where i'm from. Basically - the juice of whatever you roasted, pumped up with water or stock if you have some in the fridge, plus gravy browning powder (which is not bisto). fry the onions in butter VERY slowly, then throw brown sugar in right at the end and cook until sticky before stirring into the gravy. you should be able to stand a spoon up in it, add more cornflour if not thick enough.

i cannot give you an actual whole recipe - because i am sworn to secrecy by the pizza guy. but...

thin crispy pizza base

• tomato and basil passata sauce
  • grated mozzarella
  • basil leaves
  • capers (trust me)
  • panchetta lardons 
  • caramelized red peppers
  • goats cheese (about three round slices for a 12 inch pizza)

Seriously, complete and total heaven.

no oregano? :huh:  Definitely capers. Yum.

• 11 months later...

KZ's Asian Chicken:

3 Tbsp peanut oil (I also like to throw in a splash or two of Sesame chili oil for kick)

1 tsp Chinese 5-spice powder

1 tsp red pepper flakes

1 tsp ground/powdered ginger

1 tsp sugar or (my favorite) a healthy drizzle of raw honey

2 Tbsp minced/chunked garlic

1 onion, diced

1 package boneless chicken (you can use breasts, but I'm a thigh man myself, more flavor)

Soy sauce, Kentucky windage measurements (about a 1/3-1/2 of a cup should do)

Rinse, pat dry chicken with paper towels, trim any excess fat (leave some for flavor and seasoning)

I usually use a gallon sized Zip lock to marinate meats. Drop the chicken in, mix the other ingerdients together and dump it all over the chicken. Add enough soy sauce to fully cover the chicken. Secure the zip lock and make sure all of the contents are coated. Refrigerate overnight (Of you're in a rush, a couple of hours will do but your won't get as full a flavoring)

I usually prepare this on a grill but it can be prepared in a casserole dish or pan in the oven as well. Just dump marinade and all into the dish (I've used a Pyrex casserole to good effect)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and cook chicken for about an hour ( a meat thermometer comes in quite handy here) until done. Baste/turn chicken at least twice.

Garnish with chopped green onion and serve over rice or, if fresh off the grill, throw it on a plate, serve it up and step back...keep all fingers and toes clear of the plate as the predatory types pounce ^..^

Edited by KaninZ
  • 4 months later...

Timely summer recipe for those with gardens:

warm Zucchini salad -

1. Shred or grate about a quarter of a pound of cheddar or jack cheese. Or use different cheese, if you like - your call. Set aside.

2. Fry a quarter pound of bacon.  Set aside on paper towel, reserve fat. 

Over medium heat:

3. In reserved fat, brown 1 onion, chopped fine.

4. Add as much cubed Zucchini as you like/can stand: coat with onions and saute. Don't let the Zucchini go too soft.

5. Add about half a pound of frozen corn - toss well, and let cook a couple of minutes until warmed

6. Add cheese, add bacon (which you have since crumbled).  Toss and serve.

• Like 2

MrM's Chicken Couscous Tfaya

d13484caedc37754c74a800a40473246.jpg

Chicken
~~~~~~~~~~
6 Whole Chicken Legs and Thighs
Salt and Pepper
Butter
½ Tsp. Turmeric
1 Large Onion chopped
1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
½ cup of Saffron or Safflower infused hot water
(put a pinch of Saffron or Safflower in the hot water and let it steep like tea)
Two cups Chicken Stock + Two cups of water 
1 sprig of Cilantro
Chopped Carrots

Honey for drizzling

Couscous
~~~~~~~~~
1 package of Near East plain Couscous

Sweet and Spicy Onion Sauce
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 Large Onion
butter
2 Tsp. cinnamon
¼ cup honey 
¼ cup raisins

Toasted Almonds, Raisins, Dates, and Sliced Hard Boiled Eggs for Garnish and flavor

1. Wash and dry your chicken pieces. Salt and pepper them.

2. In a Dutch oven heat some butter until hot. Sprinkle in turmeric. Put in the chicken pieces and fry them on all sides until they are golden. Remove to a plate.

3. Add a little more butter. Put in onions and ginger. Fry until translucent.

4. Add Saffron Water, chicken broth and water, cilantro and carrots.

5. Add chicken pieces and simmer for about 30 minutes.

6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove cooked chicken to a casserole. Cover with about ¼ cup of honey. Put in oven for about 10 minutes until chicken becomes deep golden brown and honey is bubbling hot. BE CAREFUL THAT IT DOESN’T BURN. Don’t burn yourself neither.

7. While chicken gets done, make couscous. Use box directions except substitute for water the chicken stock from the cooked chicken.

8. While couscous and chicken finishes, make the sweet and spicy onion sauce.

a. In a measuring cup put the raisins. Cover with boiling water and let sit while you cook onions.
b. In a sauce pan put some butter. Fry onions until caramelized (brown). 
c. Add honey, cinnamon, raisins and their soaking water. Bring to a boil and reduce a bit. Sauce should be liquid and sticky, but not too runny.

9. Put a pretty plate out. Mound couscous in the center of it. Make a well in the center of the couscous with a spoon. Pour a little chicken broth in it. Add some cooked carrots. On top of the carrots put the chicken. On top of the chicken put the sauce. Sprinkle on the sauce some toasted almonds.

Eat with fingers.
Edited by MrM
  • 4 months later...

I don't remember when I received this recipe or where it came from, but I've been using it to make these Banana muffins for awhile now. I'm always very happy with them, and as soon as the 20 pounds of other baked goods are eaten I'll probably bake a batch.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup brown sugar

3 bananas, mashed

1/4 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 eggs

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup wheat bran

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Directions

1.   Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a muffin pan or line with paper muffin liners.

2.   In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar together until fluffy. Add bananas, milk, vanilla and eggs; mix well. Stir in flour, bran, baking powder, soda and salt; blend just until moistened. Stir in walnuts. Pour batter into prepared muffin cups.

3.   Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool in the cups for 5 minutes, then remove muffins and place on a wire rack to cool completely.

• Like 1

Chicken stew in the slow cooker.

Now I have to warn you guys, my dad and I never measure because we know these recipes. So just adjust it to your taste.

2 cans of diced tomatoes

3/4 of water

6-8 pieces of boneless and skinless chicken breasts roughly chopped

4 cloves of garlic minced (I'm Italian so I use a lot of garlic. tongue.png )

1 medium onion chopped

3 carrots peeled and chopped

3-4 potatoes peeled and chopped

2 bay leaves

a dash of oregano (I don't know how to word this because I don't measure and usually I use fresh, so adjust to your liking)

2 sprigs of rosemary

Here comes the easy part throw it all in the slow cooker. Depending on what kind you have I would set it on medium or high. Should be ready in about 4-5 hours. Season with salt and pepper. Oh, you could add peas, but that's not my thing.

Serve with rice or bread.

I love a good chicken stew, so I am definitely going to make and enjoy. Thank you for the recipe ryan jo.  :)

My Special Christmas Cookie Recipe (but they work anytime)

Ingredients

1 cup softened butter

1 cup white sugar

1 cup packed brown sugar

2 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

3 cups all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 teaspoons hot water

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 cups milk chocolate chips

1 cup chopped pecans

Directions

1. pre-heat oven to 375 F (175 C)

2. Mix butter, white and brown sugar together until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt. stir in flour, chocolate chips and nuts. Drop by spoonfuls on ungreased pan.

3. Bake for 10 minutes in pre-heated oven , or until edges are nicely brown.

• Like 1

That is almost identical to my recipe James! I dont remember where I found it, but experimentation has shown it works just as well using dark choco chips, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, and white choco chips. My daughter even tried mixing several different chips to make up the two cups. Wasn't bad, but I suggested limiting to two types and matching flavors carefully.

I'm going to share with two recipes for beer bread which is a very easy way to make some bread to go with meals.

Two Ingredient Beer Bread

2& 2/3 cups Self-Rising Flour

12 ounces Beer

Preheat oven to 375. Grease a loaf pan.

Combine the flour and beer in a large bowl until flour is completely moistened. Pour into greased loaf pan.

Bake at 375 degrees F for 50 to 55 minutes or until top is lightly browned.

Cool in pan five minutes before removing to cool completely.

* different beers give you different flavors*

The second one has more ingredients but tastes outstanding.

5 minute Beer and Cheese Bread

Set your oven on 375.

Now stir the following dry ingredients in one medium size bowl.

3 cups flour (don't mix more than one cup whole wheat with 2 cups unbleached) It won't rise up light enough with just whole wheat)

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons dill (weed not seed)

1 tablespoon sugar

1 tablespoon baking powder (not soda)

1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (you taste it better in this)

After you have just stirred to mix that up...crack open a 12 ounce SEALED BEER. Any kind will do...dark will flavor that bread to a strong beer taste...a light beer will make it more of a sourdough flavor. Now pour the beer into that bowl and stir it up, it is ready don't let it set.

Oil a loaf pan, spoon in your "bread mix".....then sprinkle a bit of cheddar cheese across the top.

Bake for 45 minutes!

I use the two ingredient recipe all the time. You can add any herbs that you like to it to give it more flavor.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay, so here's the first recipes I'm sharing with you. 

Tartiflette.

img_0521.jpg?w=392&h=261

It's a winter recipe from the mountains (you better love cheese, potatoes and bacon)

Ingredients:

• potatoes (800g)
  • bacon cut in bits (200)
  • a Reblochon (cheese)
  • you can add pepper, an onion and some sour cream

1°) Peel and cut the potatoes into thin slices.

2°) Place the potato slices in a layer. 

3°) Spread the bits of bacon and cover with a layer of potatoes. Repeat until you have 2 layers of bacon and end with a layer of potatoes.

4°) Cut the Reblochon in half (in the thickness) and then in differents pieces.

5°) Place the pieces of Reblochon on top of the potatoes (rind on top)

6°) Put in the oven at 200°C for about an hour (depending of how thick you've cut the slices of potatoes)

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Ok this is a really great Italian dish that you rarely see in restaurants. If done traditionally, it takes forever to make but this recipe is really good.

You can use this sauce as a base for lasagna... if you don't eat it up first.  It smells really incredible cooking.   ;)

Easy Bolognese

1 Carrot

1 stalk of celery

1 onion

Grate all three or use a food processor to shred. Don't go overboard- you don't want to liquify it.

2 cloves of garlic (crushed)

3 tbl spoons of olive oil

Put olive oil in large sauce pan, apply medium heat.

Add carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Saute and stir the vegetables. Cook for 5-7 minutes.

Add 1 pound of lean ground beef or Italian sausage. 

Cook while stirring until meat is done.

Add 1/2 cup of white wine.

Add 1 table spoon of Italian seasoning to taste.

Optional- add a little Basil and/or a couple of bay leafs.

Take 1 X 8 ounce can of crushed tomatoes and run it through the food processor. Just bump it a couple of times. You need for there to be body in the tomatoes.

Add 1/2 cup of chicken stock.

Add tomato sauce to the mixture and stir.

Simmer over low heat for 45 minutes. 

10 minutes before its done, add 1/2 cup of half-and-half (cream). Stir in and it gives the sauce a lighter color and richer texture.  <Note I forgot this part

Serve over linguini or rigatoni with Italian bred.

Sprinkle with parmesan or romano cheese. 

Goes really good with a light red wine.

Edited by jamessavik
  • Like 1

Fruity Laaddu(My own Recipe guys...)

Ingredients

1 cup - Milk
1/2 tea spoon - Custard Powder(just for little flavor)
1 small bowl - Vermicelli
1 bowl - Mixed Fruits(whatever you like)
4 slices - Bred
Sugar: You can add sugar according to your wish
Ghee: According to the process

Cooking Process
Step 1: Boil the Milk. Add sugar and custard powder and keep stirring until all the contents mixed well. And don't let milk get thick and creamy we need it in liquid shape.

Step 2: Mean while chop all the fruits you like into small pieces. Slightly fry vermicelli adding little ghee(or you can use olive oil if you like) until they turn little brown. Apply ghee two sides of bred and fry it on a pan until they turn brown.

Step 3: Take one slice of bred and put 1 spoonful of mixed fruits in it, as well as some vermicelli. Cover it with another bred slice. and care fully mould it,using little water(with fingers), until it shaped into a round. And that's called as 'Laaddu'. Take a laadu into a small serving bowls and add milk mix(it need to be some what warm) into the bowl with spoons until the laaddu absorbs all milk. Let some milk mix in bowl so that we can take with laadu. After it comes to room temperature place them in a fridge for half an hour.

You can add some vanilla cream and dry fruits(chopped) before you eat yummy "Fruity Laaddu". Edited by The Eminent MGK

ELEGANT CHICKEN CASSEROLE RECIPE

Ingredients:

Uncle Ben's Wild Rice

1 Stick of Butter

2 Small White Onions

Sharp Cheddar Cheese

2 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup (Or Cream of Chicken or Onion)

4 Chicken Breasts

Directions:

Bake Chicken or Gill Chicken

Cube Chicken after it is cooked

Melt butter

Add chopped onions

Add Uncle Ben's Wild Rice with seasoning mixture

Saute ingredients for about 5 minutes

Add Cubed chicken

Add Cream of [insert Here] Soup

Add half of Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Mix all ingredients well

Put into casserole or baking dish

Cover with tinfoil and bake at 350 Degrees (F) for 30 Minutes

Add remaining cheese as layer over top

Bake for 10 Minutes at 350 Degrees (F) or until cheese on top is melted

Let site for about 5-10 minutes and enjoy

Edited by C B

INSTANT CHOCOLATE MOUSSE

When you haven't got time for overnight setting in the fridge or you don't want to use raw eggs, this mousse is perfect. In fact, at all times, constraints or not, it is chocaliciously gorgeous.

INGREDIENTS

Serves: 4-6

• 150 grams mini marshmallows
  • 50 grams soft butter
  • 250 grams good dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids) chopped into small pieces
  • 60 millilitres hot water (from a recently boiled kettle)
  • 284 millilitres double cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

METHOD

1. Put the marshmallows, butter, chocolate and water in a heavy-based saucepan.
  2. Put the saucepan on the hob, over heat, though keep it fairly gentle, to melt the contents, stirring every now and again. Remove from the heat.
  3. Meanwhile, whip the cream with the vanilla extract until thick, and then fold into the cooling chocolate mixture until you have a smooth, cohesive mixture.
  4. Pour or scrape into 4 glasses or ramekins, about 175ml / ¾ cup each in capacity, or 6 smaller (125ml / ½ cup) ones, and chill until you want to eat. The sooner the better!

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/instant-chocolate-mousse

Edited by ZephyrSky