English Teen Circumcised in the USA

Cruel as it may sound Luke falling on the stairs was probably the best thing that could have happened. Now instead of Luke offering comfort it's he who needs Ryan. I am hopeful that the smile was due to Ryan realizing that nothing has changed between them. Luke still sees Ryan as his best friend. Of course it could be due to the irony that someone that hurt him badly just handed back a pair of pliers and offered free access to his tackle. .

Dughlas

"One small step..," 

I think you're right Dughlas. Falling like Luke did may well have helped...but will it be enough? You have to feel a little pity for Luke - pliers at your bits is not even funny!

Thanks for writing.

Riley

Riley, I love "English Teen" as much as I did your other book "In Safe Hands".  I stayed home from work yesterday because I couldn't stop reading "English Teen".  I find the most recent turn of events to be very depressing and it's hard to see how the relationship between Luke and Ryan can possibly be salvaged but I'm really hoping that you will find a way to make it so.  You are a wonderful writer.  "English Teen" makes me think of the song "Mayonnaise" by the Smashing Pumpkins.  I mean that as a compliment, in case there was any doubt.  Thank you so much for sharing you writing with the world, I can't wait to read more.  Sincerely, Michael

Hi Michael,

You stayed home from work to read? You naughty boy! But thank you anyway!

I'm glad to hear your enjoyed ISH and have found English Teen. Actually the two stories are connected - though you probably already figured that out.

I admit that the last chapters were difficult, but what I think many find compelling about the tale - myself included - is that Luke and Ryan face some real struggles and it's not all sweetness with the pair snuggling together on a couch. In fact, you're troubled by the possibility it might never happen...but if it does then how does that... Ah, but now you have to know how to ask the right questions.... <grin>

Riley
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest AzraelJones

Hi there Riley,

i found this site, to be precise your story of ET, yesterday and just could'nt stop reading it to the last published chapter.

I enjoy your style - i have written a few stories of my own in the past but the sites where i published them are gone and sadly so are the harddrives where i had saved them,

its probably for the best because my english could be better.

Anyway i cant wait to get the next chapter of ET and i really hope it will be published soon. I really like how you painted the different characters

and i must add the "Hang" just added depth to Ryan, i am confident that you will be able to transform that depth

into the relationship between him and Luke - if there is any in the ongoing chapters i mean.

Keep up the good work and happy new year

Sincerely

Azrael

Edited by AzraelJones

Hi Riley,  In my review, I said to send them to Disney or something.  Mainly, I was being silly because the last two chapters were stressful and hard to read.  I am not however saying that is a bad thing.  It was a needed evil that moved the story forward and actually made a lot of sense. Without it though we would  not begin to see that Ryan is in fact mortal.  He is not an untouchable being that is has no grief in is his life.  That was extremely important to move the story along.  Here is the thing though, when Ryan had his downfall, Luke just kind of stood back and took it all in.  Luke is going to have to work his ass off to get back into Ryan's good graces.  Luke falling on the stairs is the balance to that scale.  Now, Luke needs him in almost a worse way.  Ryan being able to save Luke gives him back meaning in his life. It gives him a stepping stone to healing if he wants to take it.  

One thing I said in the other review is that Luke used a magic phrase.  " I need you"   The feeling of being needed is one that most humans instictivly look for.  If Ryan feels like he is needed I feel like he will draw to that feeling. Plus, it is a big thing for someone to admit to another that they need them.  Most people will not readily admit need for another person.  Rather sad but rather true.   This is good for Luke.  Also, now they can say ok, I have had a sucktacular event and now you have had one too.  Let's heal and move forward.  Now comes the trip to Disney.

I think these two need some one on one time.  They are best friends and they need to re-establish what it is that they like about each other.  Disney would not be a magical band-aid that would fix their relationship.  They wouldn't walk out arm in arm and live happy every after ( YET,ahem)  But it would give them a chance to build and explore.  It would let them be kids for a little bit and just enjoy life.  It also could be that I love Disney and think everyone should go.  I am not really sure there. But the bottom line of all that word vomit was I think the boys need a break to be boys.  I do think even after all the shit that they have been through they love each other.  Who knows what kind of love that is right now.  I just think they need a chance to figure it out. 

All this writing has made me hungry, I am off to have mac&cheese for lunch.  :)

Side note too:  Ryan will need support to get through is issues.  Luke will be able to do that for him if he lets him.  If Ryan locks Luke out now he is going to have a major downward spiral,  and not the Nine Ince Nail c.d. good kind either. 

Edited by Carrie76
Anyway i cant wait to get the next chapter of ET and i really hope it will be published soon. I really like how you painted the different characters

and i must add the "Hang" just added depth to Ryan, i am confident that you will be able to transform that depth

into the relationship between him and Luke - if there is any in the ongoing chapters i mean.

Keep up the good work and happy new year

Sincerely

Azrael

Hello Azrael - glad you've found the GA site...and of course, delighted you've started with ET!

A lot of people found the 'Hang' quite difficult. As one reviewer recently put it "I found peoples reaction to his (Luke's) standing by, rather than saving Ryan were interesting. You seemed to hit a raw nerve. I think everybody has been in both Ryan and or Luke's shoes in one way or another. Feeling like they were abandoned or like they should have done more.' At the same time, as you note, we all feel drawn to Ryan as the glimpses of his difficult hime life have added depth.

If you haven't already, you might also want to read "In Safe Hands", as some of the characters in that tale are linked to ET and form part of a bigger picture.

Again, thanks for dropping a note on the thread, and Happy New Year to you too!

Riley

Hi Riley,  In my review, I said to send them to Disney or something.  Mainly, I was being silly because the last two chapters were stressful and hard to read.  I am not however saying that is a bad thing.  It was a needed evil that moved the story forward and actually made a lot of sense. Without it though we would  not begin to see that Ryan is in fact mortal.  He is not an untouchable being that is has no grief in is his life.  That was extremely important to move the story along.  Here is the thing though, when Ryan had his downfall, Luke just kind of stood back and took it all in.  Luke is going to have to work his ass off to get back into Ryan's good graces.  Luke falling on the stairs is the balance to that scale.  Now, Luke needs him in almost a worse way.  Ryan being able to save Luke gives him back meaning in his life. It gives him a stepping stone to healing if he wants to take it.  

As you said Carrie, it's good to see that Ryan is mortal...and he isn't perfect either - in fact, if he was, it would be hard to believe. I think we all have something of both Luke and Ryan in us

One thing I said in the other review is that Luke used a magic phrase.  " I need you"   The feeling of being needed is one that most humans instictivly look for.  If Ryan feels like he is needed I feel like he will draw to that feeling. Plus, it is a big thing for someone to admit to another that they need them.  Most people will not readily admit need for another person.  Rather sad but rather true.   This is good for Luke.  Also, now they can say ok, I have had a sucktacular event and now you have had one too.  Let's heal and move forward.  Now comes the trip to Disney.

I think these two need some one on one time.  They are best friends and they need to re-establish what it is that they like about each other.  Disney would not be a magical band-aid that would fix their relationship.  They wouldn't walk out arm in arm and live happy every after ( YET,ahem)  But it would give them a chance to build and explore.  It would let them be kids for a little bit and just enjoy life.  It also could be that I love Disney and think everyone should go.  I am not really sure there. But the bottom line of all that word vomit was I think the boys need a break to be boys.  I do think even after all the shit that they have been through they love each other.  Who knows what kind of love that is right now.  I just think they need a chance to figure it out. 

All this writing has made me hungry, I am off to have mac&cheese for lunch.  :)

Side note too:  Ryan will need support to get through is issues.  Luke will be able to do that for him if he lets him.  If Ryan locks Luke out now he is going to have a major downward spiral,  and not the Nine Ince Nail c.d. good kind either. 

Interesting what you say about being needed - and maybe they do need some space and a place where they can let their hair down a bit and get away from it all. I'll have to think about that. I feel a chapter coming up that may well do what you suggest!

Hope you enjoyed the burger!

Riley

A quick note to say that the next chapter (Cut and Dried) has been published here

As I said in the chapter notes If you’re enjoying ET, do consider voting for it in the 2012 GA Readers Choice awards. Either add nominations to the thread here, or PM Conner directly with your nominations here. As well as any other of the other great stories out there, do consider cutting and pasting the following to nominate ET in two categories!

Best GA Stories - An English Teen Circumcised in the USA, by Riley Jericho

Best Protagonist/Hero (From any 2012 GA story) - Ryan Alexis, An English Teen Circumcised in the USA, by Riley Jericho
(I know many have really connected with Ryan - I hope he gets your vote too!)

Thanks for all your support for the story!
Riley

• 2 weeks later...

Riley,

I have only recently come upon your story An English Teen Circumcised in the USA.  I was quite taken by the story and your character development.  Your description of the tender first sex between Simon and Toby was almost perfect.  The relationship between Luke and Simon also showed a remarkable understanding of the bonds of brotherhood, and how caring Luke is.  I could list other examples as well.

I must say I was quite taken aback with the description of the schoolboy "prank" you have described in the last two chapters.  I have no doubt that boys can be cruel and that administrators can be clueless, but this scene goes beyond cruel to psychpathic.  Forgetting the plausibility issue of a bathroom so isolated that doxens of boys could crry out such a lengthy prank, you have stripped Luke far more naked than Ryan.  If any of the love that you ascribed to Luke in the previous chapters was at all genuine, he could never have remained inactive while Ryan was not only hung, but far worse according to you than had ever been done in this custom of the boys at the Academy.  Even if Luke was the one you yelled that the principal was coming, it still leaves Luke in such a compromised position that no amount of fixing by the author in subsequent chapters could ever square him with the character portrayed in the story before this point.

I am truly disappointed, regardless of whatever lesson you were trying to teach with this part of your story.  I will certainly have to think more than twice before I invest myself in any further reading of your work.  In my opinion, the prank section could have been used to make your point, but also bring about some small evidence of courage rather than total loss of respect.

I hope you are better than what I have read in these last two chapters.

Regretfully,

Randy 

Randy,

Please don't give up on Riley and his story ET. I understand your feelings about the Hang and nearly quit reading the story myself. As several others have stated Riley has the skill, for good or ill, to make you feel intensely for his characters. He has taken serious criticism for those chapters and perhaps a warning that the material might offend is in order. That being said I urge you read the chapters that follow. I too was disappointed in Luke, but remember he is a teenage boy and until near the end of the incident this was for him and the majority of those boys gathered, just innocent, harmless fun, a prank. Too late he realizes otherwise. If you continue with the story I think you will find Luke is a decent person and a true friend to Ryan.

dughlas

Elliott Carter in Atlanta? I think you know it was him in the doctor's waiting room in the recent chapter of English Teen, "Unexpected" - in fact we also spotted him earlier at the opticians.

We know quite a lot about Elliott through "In Safe Hands", but why is he here now, and what does it mean? Is it a good thing or not?

What's your take on it?

RIley

PS 'Unexpected' can he found here

I just wanted to reflect on Randy's post above - firstly to say thank you to him for the honest response. In fact there is more than enough in those chapters that should make us feel incredibly angry. Speaking as a Brit, if we actually had the guts to get more angry - angry enough to speak out against injustices around about us - perhaps our world would be better.

As someone noted in one of the reviews, the situation touches us even more because we've all been there; either to be let own by someone we trusted, or worse, sticking our own heads in the sand or walking away when we know we should have done something to support a friend.

i guess it also makes a story challenging when you only get to see chapters isolated from what is to come.

I've written more personally to Randy, but thanks too, Dughlas, for jumping in to offer perspective.

Greets to you all,

Riley

I'm loving this story so far! I'm quite anticipating the moment where Luke and Ryan know more about each other. As well as Luke asking Simon for details!

I'm quite curious on how Elliott (or that boy, who I assume to be Elliott) would fit in between Ryan and Luke, as the story progress.

Keep up the great work! I'll be checking for a new chapter every now and then!

:2thumbs:

I'm loving this story so far! I'm quite anticipating the moment where Luke and Ryan know more about each other. As well as Luke asking Simon for details!

I'm quite curious on how Elliott (or that boy, who I assume to be Elliott) would fit in between Ryan and Luke, as the story progress.

Keep up the great work! I'll be checking for a new chapter every now and then!

:2thumbs:

Hi there! Firstly, glad you're enjoying the story - I can promise a new chapter today or tomorrow!

To let you into a little secret, the whole of "In Safe Hands" was written for the singular purpose of introducing the character of Elliott Carter into ET. One reviewer even recently caught on to the little nugget when Miguel (in ISH) refers to Elliott's name as 'like in ET'!

Don't tell anyone I told you that though.... 0:)

Riley

Two bits of news!

Firstly, the latest chapter,  The Day the Hammer Fell, is published. My bet is, you'll enjoy it!

Secondly, the final round of voting for the 2012 Readers Choice Awards is open, and man thanks to all those  who nominated ET to get both the story and Ryan Alexis into the running for Best GA story and Best Protagonist / Hero!

So what now?

Vote! Having got so far, please, please vote in this final round. How? Easy - just send a PM to Talonrider. 

Paste into the message - alongside votes in any other categories:

Best GA Stories: An English Teen Circumcised in the USA by Riley Jericho

Best Protagonist / Hero: Ryan (An English Teen Circumcised in the USA by Riley Jericho)

The full list of finalists is here:

Thanks!

Riley

I have only recently discovered your stories and have very much enjoyed reading them.  Thank you for all your time spent creating these works.  I have a few comments I would like to make.  I think you have captured the whole teenage angst most successfully, very true to life.  I thought the mode of ending Miguel's life very harsh but then if you don't want a character reappearing later I guess death is the best option.  I like how you have introduced the characters wearing more interesting underwear.  I grew up in England in the 60's and had first hand experience of the transition from plain to fashion underwear.  I thought you handled the circumcision debate excellently and identified the cultural differences well.  Poor Luke, you should have given him a cup to wear going back to school!  I did, when circumcised at 30 and went back to work.  I await with interest the next chapter.  Did the scissors actually cut Simon?  Will they get to meet Elliot when they have to go to the urologist, which they surely will after this latest scene?  I do hope that Luke and Ryan can get over what has happened and continue to develop their relationship, but then I am a sentimentalist!

Keep up the good work and thank you again.

• Like 1

I have only recently discovered your stories and have very much enjoyed reading them.  Thank you for all your time spent creating these works.  I have a few comments I would like to make.  I think you have captured the whole teenage angst most successfully, very true to life.  I thought the mode of ending Miguel's life very harsh but then if you don't want a character reappearing later I guess death is the best option.  I like how you have introduced the characters wearing more interesting underwear.  I grew up in England in the 60's and had first hand experience of the transition from plain to fashion underwear.  I thought you handled the circumcision debate excellently and identified the cultural differences well.  Poor Luke, you should have given him a cup to wear going back to school!  I did, when circumcised at 30 and went back to work.  I await with interest the next chapter.  Did the scissors actually cut Simon?  Will they get to meet Elliot when they have to go to the urologist, which they surely will after this latest scene?  I do hope that Luke and Ryan can get over what has happened and continue to develop their relationship, but then I am a sentimentalist!

Keep up the good work and thank you again.

Hi there - always great to come across fellow Brits in these parts!

I agree, losing Miguel was sad. Even I cried buckets. I guess that in the 60's and 70's, the UK and America were a lot father apart than they these days. It would be interesting to compare through those that have seen both. Personally, I really enjoy seeing how culture makes people think and act in different ways, even when they don't realise it themselves. In the end, nobody is 'right', just different.

Thanks for reading ET and ISH, and I hope you keep enjoying. As to whether Simon is hurt - you'll have to wait and see!

Riley

HI everyone!

Delighted to announce that the next chapter of ET, "An Eye on the Ball" is published and can be read here.

Ryan is coming round for the evening and, in the next chapter, ends up staying the night....mmm, wonder where THAT goes! Stay tuned...

----------------------------------------------------

And if you haven't voted in the upcoming GA Readers awards, there's still time. ET is in the running and all you need to do is  PM TalonRider with your final votes here

To vote for ET, cut and paste into the PM:

Best GA Stories: An English Teen Circumcised in the USA by Riley Jericho

Best Protagonist / Hero: Ryan (An English Teen Circumcised in the USA by Riley Jericho)

Thanks!

Riley

Edited by Riley Jericho
  • 2 weeks later...
Greetings from Luke and Ryan! And  Dave - thank you for the above; the win in both categories means a massive amount to me.

I've come to realise that the GA Readers Awards are aptly named, as I think it indicates the strength of commitment and support readers offer an author and his work, as much as  reflecting how good a story actually is.

You guys are the best, and thank you all for hanging ( no pun intended) with ET through some tricky chapters and, of course, the story still has a long way to go and may yet surprise you...it might even surprise me! 

It absolutely goes without saying - which is why I'm saying it - that the guiding hand of Andy (author of among others, Second Shot and Purpose). His editing/beta reading is most of the reason ET remains readable! The next chapter is already with him, so expect that out soon.

Thanks for all the reviews and feedback for ET from everyone. I read nd always reply. You might be surprised at how many ideas and suggestions within those get turned into a storyline, so keep sending.

There's a big smile on my face today. Best GA story of 2011 with 'In Safe Hands' and now both Best GA story and Best Protagonist/Hero awards in 2012 through ET's Ryan Alexis. Pushing forward into 2013, I'm republishing (with a bit of good editing) 'Against The Machine', and might even get to writing book three of that series. 'OLLY' is cooking too - another tale that's only half finished (the story of my life, it feels!).  All I can say is watch this space!

Thanks so much,

Riley