Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation (99+48) Echos of War

Echos of War is up! (it may take a minute or so to appear).

Happy December 45th, 2012!

To those awaiting e-mail, forum, and PM replies, I'm catching up. Sorry for the delay.

Finally, for this chapter, I strongly advise following the Google maps link at the top of the chapter and having a look. You can move it around, zoom in, etc. It may be hard to follow the situation without it (that area is quite complex, geographically, and so is the overlying situation). 

Potato salad, anyone?

A very interesting chapter.

I was hoping Bridgette wouldn't figure out where they were. Even though she has an idea it was enough to spook anyone. Trevor definitely needs to get out fast before anything can happen. He's probably going to wonder why he hasn't heard from his uncle, hopefully he will remember to insert the battery.

Great Chapter Mark!!!

Potatoes Away!!!

Guest pacecardave

I guess I am gonna be the wet blanket once again but I found this chapter to be pretty much a total waste. Yes I said a waste. CJ had an opportunity to give us an exciting chapter instead he gives a boring history lesson. I said it before and I will say it again you have gone way overboard on the details that do nothing to enhance the story but only serve as mundane filler when you dont seem to have any idea where you are going with the story and only offer a few little teases as to where things might be heading. I am seriously doubting that you will end this ??????? in the next two or three chapters as you had said. I am sure you are asking yourself if I am so dissatisfied why am I still reading, I am asking myself the same thing. I guess when you have invested several years of reading you hate to just stop without some sort of closure. At least that is what I keep telling myself but to be honest I am at the point where I am not sure I want to continue. I have read most if not all of CJ's stories and have found them to be interesting and exciting but this one is by far the longest and seems to be falling flat for me in comparrison. So there you have my thoughts and feed back CJ, you asked for it you got it. I will let those who worship at your feet heap thier praise upon your ramblings and I will go off and sit in my corner as a minority of one and contemplate what a good story this could have been.

Wet blanket?  I should think so.

A little history never hurt anyone.  In this case, it helps the reader understand why Trevor is being hassled by the customs agent at Ushuaia.  The Argentines' record on international relations is a checkered one at best.  Their past wars with neighbors Chile and the UK (Falkland Islands) influence the way Trevor is being treated and provide insight into his motivation for seeking to steal away and evade any military assets Argentina may use against him.  Trevor and Shane are Argentina's newest enemies.  Their preemptive strike was limited to potatoes.

You have read 147 chapters of Circumnavigation because it's a good story.  C J doesn't write the typical gay story.  The detail enriches the reader's experience.

As punishment, you should reread the history lesson.  :P

• Site Moderator

That extra information actually helps to explain the bullcrap Trevor has to go thru with Argentine Customs.

MikeL beat me to the post.

Edited by TalonRider

B) .....After spudding the gunship, is Trevor planning to board her and perhaps disabling the engines?   That is almost a bigger risk then rounding the cape.  One thing is for sure they have to get out of there tonight and head for Chile. Bridget having contacts with the customs  people in Argentina, they might send out more then one boat for Trevor after their gunship fails. It would be fitting that Trevor's action results in an International incident between Chile and Argentina!   :lmao:  Then they will be in the papers again!! :whistle:  That will be great publicity for the book! I'll take a stab at next weeks title The Chase 

Great chapter CJ!

We are all getting a bit testy waiting for the safe return of Trevor and Shane, and for the slow, painful demise of Bridget. 

Speaking of Bridget, early on in this chapter she described herself, "I freely admit to being no angel, though I am to a large degree utterly misunderstood, as well as being wrongly accused of some things. So you see, I am very much a victim of awkward circumstance." 

Those words just jumped out at me!  Was this Bridget speaking or was it CJ speaking of himself?  Can't you hear CJ say, "I freely admit to being no angel, though I am to a large degree utterly misunderstood, as well as being wrongly accused of some things."  Such as accussed of cliffhanging and the liberal adjustment of the calendar.  So the truth has finally emerged in the author's subconscious.  Aha!

Thanks for getting us all around the world and back to the Americas.

Being from a potato growing state, I fear I must denounce the author for abusing potatoes... 0:)   Okay, enough of that!  What is Trevor up to now?  He's pretty smart, but I ain't, so I can't really figger dis out... :blink:   Whatever is going on I hope they give the Argentine Customs a black eye and maybe point out some of their (Argentina's) graft.  CJ, make Trevor remember to put the battery back in the phone!  

Another great chapter, CJ...even if it does feel a little bit like a hanger of the cliffy type...

I LOVE this story. Bridget will get and I'm happy about that. You are throwing me a bit with the potatoes. :2thumbs:

B) .............Trevor is trying to see if anyone is on board the gunship, the sound of something hitting the side of the gunship would make anyone present on board come to investigate. It might be grit time for an engine or 2!  :lol:

That extra information actually helps to explain the bullcrap Trevor has to go thru with Argentine Customs.

MikeL beat me to the post.

Sorry about that TR.  It's a wonder I beat you to it; I had several interruptions and thought I would never get that posted.  The history bit is essential.

One thing is for sure they have to get out of there tonight and head for Chile. Bridget having contacts with the customs  people in Argentina, they might send out more then one boat for Trevor after their gunship fails. It would be fitting that Trevor's action results in an International incident between Chile and Argentina!  

Chile?  I've been thinking they are going to the Falklands.  Wasn't the Falklands capital, Port Stanley, mentioned earlier?

B) ........... You're most likely correct, the Falklands would be a better choice designation, I thought Chile was closer and given the animosity between Argentina and Chile I thought they would get a faster and protective mode from Chile. But given that Bridget's people are all over South America. And as a bonus the English and American's are on very good terms, I'm sure even Fowler can hold sway with the the British Navy.

B) ........... You're most likely correct, the Falklands would be a better choice designation, I thought Chile was closer and given the animosity between Argentina and Chile I thought they would get a faster and protective mode from Chile. But given that Bridget's people are all over South America. And as a bonus the English and American's are on very good terms, I'm sure even Fowler can hold sway with the the British Navy.

I've been thinking Falklands too but there is an interesting spot in Chile not far from where the boys are... "Cabo des Homos" :lmao:  Um... not sure what the exact translation is....

Uum isn't Chile in the wrong direction? I am afraid at the rate we are progressing the end will be that one of these growlers is going to fall on Atlantis and the story will end.... I miss the sailing adventures and fear we will not get to see much more of that due to the time restraints. Ah I fear that I am just trying to come to grips with not having this story appear(more or less)every tuesday for all this time. Without these regular cliffhangers perhaps I will need to take up paragliding. Pax Steve S/V Gandalf

As far as we know, the history included in the chapter is not actually relevant – we could simply have been told that Argentine immigration and customs procedures are open to corruption. However, it may be that we’re about to find out that getting into Chilean water is (or is not) a safe place for Atlantis.

It seems to me, though, that sabotaging an Argentine warship is a lot further up the “likelihood to piss off the authorities” scale than not completing the customs forms completely. More than likely, I’d have thought, it would be sufficient to provoke the Argentine navy to violate the border – as we know they’ve done in the past.

You could say that quite a lot of the “travelogue” scenes aren’t necessary either but I, for one, have thoroughly enjoyed them. I’ve been following them around on Google maps and vicariously enjoying their various stops.

I can’t think of any purpose to the potato-throwing other than to establish whether the patrol boat is manned or not but what the boys do with that information is still a mystery. I’d have thought their safest option if she’s unmanned is to slip away quietly and get over into Chilean waters ASAP and thence out to the open Atlantic. It’s debatable whether the Argentine authorities would bother chasing after a single yacht.

• Like 1
You could say that quite a lot of the “travelogue” scenes aren’t necessary either but I, for one, have thoroughly enjoyed them. I’ve been following them around on Google maps and vicariously enjoying their various stops.

See entry below.  Haven't mastered the edit function quite yet.  :P  Good grief!  :o

Edited by MikeL

Another thing I've found interesting is to search for information on these locations.  You can see pictures, maps, and read some historical and cultural information at Wikipedia.org on Carnarvon, for example.

• Site Moderator

We could argue this point until we're blue in the face but it doesn't change the fact that we got what we got.

Some time ago, CJ and I talked about the length of the story. There was more he would have liked to have put in the story. For example more about Joel's and Lisa's trip. Would it have advanced the plot, probably not.

Had he known the story would have been so long, he would have approached it differently. I gave him the example of the story, The Scrolls of Icaria, Books 1 & 2. Each book is done in four parts with an Interlude between each part. The interludes give the reader information on things in the story that are relevant, but didn't fit in the chapters properly.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..