1) Alan Turing

2) He wrote a seminal paper in the 1930s which has been recognized as the template for modern computing, and devised the Turing Test for AI

3) He invented an electo-mechanical machine - called a Bombe - which automated enough of the Enigma code-breaking process to be able to decrypt signals intelligence in hours instead of weeks

4) the German Enigma machine - a brilliant device that would have been 100% secure if its operators had used it correctly

What a tragedy that such a giant of a man, who will be remembered forever, was persecuted by worthless pygmies, long forgotten, whose only achievement was to deny the World of who knows what amazing innovations and insights he could have given us :(

Can't wait to see the movie :)

Edit

ooops, just checked wiki - it was 1950 he wrote that paper :*)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 2

1) Alan Turing

2) He wrote a seminal paper in the 1930s which has been recognized as the template for modern computing, and devised the Turing Test for AI

3) He invented an electo-mechanical machine - called a Bombe - which automated enough of the Enigma code-breaking process to be able to decrypt signals intelligence in hours instead of weeks

4) the German Enigma machine - a brilliant device that would have been 100% secure if its operators had used it correctly

What a tragedy that such a giant of a man, who will be remembered forever, was persecuted by worthless pygmies, long forgotten, whose only achievement was to deny the World of who knows what amazing innovations and insights he could have given us :(

Can't wait to see the movie :)

Edit

ooops, just checked wiki - it was 1950 he wrote that paper :*)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing

Zombie--you're 100% correct!  Although I was hoping #2 could have simply said, he's credited as the father of modern computing--his "bombe" is credited as the first computer due to the complexity of the Nazi's enigma machine cryptography.

Take it away, Zombie!

I was hoping #2 could have simply said, he's credited as the father of modern computing--his "bombe" is credited as the first computer due to the complexity of the Nazi's enigma machine cryptography.

yes, I did think of putting that. Then I remembered that it was actually Tommy Flowers who built the Colossus computer in 1943 which was the world's first programmable fully electronic digital computer - built from scratch in just 10 months! - whereas Turing's machine was electro-mechanical. So there's a good case for Flowers to be called Father of the modern computer :) In fact the Colossus computer was moved from Bletchley Park at the end of WW2 and continued to be operated by GCHQ for code breaking during the Cold War right through until the 1960s so it was a very advanced machine.

http://www.fpp.co.uk/online/98/11/FlowersObit.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_computer

Actually the whole subject is very interesting, going back to Charles Babbage's fully mechanical  computers and his designs for a programmable computer in the 1830s :)

Sooo, who's the new mystery guy above?

Clue: Cole's right, he did sport a moustache :P

Good guess, but nope :P

Just checked out young Ernie - he was quite a hottie too :lol:
Similar era and both were world famous but in different fields. Mystery guy was in fact a global icon. You will definitely know of him :)

OK.  Have I thrown everyone a curve by picturing someone who hasn't been dead a long time?

Here's a really big clue.  His name is George Babbitt.  How's that for a clue.

You can claim full credit for answering the big question correctly.  What are his two claims to fame?

One seems obvious.

No cheating, but research is encouraged.

250px-George_T_Babbitt.jpg

Edited by MikeL
  • 2 weeks later...

OK.  Have I thrown everyone a curve by picturing someone who hasn't been dead a long time?

Here's a really big clue.  His name is George Babbitt.  How's that for a clue.

You can claim full credit for answering the big question correctly.  What are his two claims to fame?

One seems obvious.

No cheating, but research is encouraged.

250px-George_T_Babbitt.jpg

It seems obvious at this point that no one is going to spend the little effort required to complete the challenge, so I will reveal all.

General George T. Babbitt is a retired United States Air Force four-star general who served as Commander, Air Force Materiel Command, from 1997 to 2000.

In 1959, at age 17, he became the very first drummer with the popular rock band, the Ventures.  He was featured on their hit "Walk, Don't Run".  Here is the story and a performance: