"Listen, I must be 110 by now. Granny is going to kick the bucket at some point." ;-)

I still need a name... :P

no-one else is gonna get it - the Dowager Countess of Grantham :P

Dowager-Countess-of-Grantham-of-Downton-

It's DAME Maggie Smith, for you! ;-) And yes, that cute little girl has just celebrated 80 last year. :-) Any older picture that I would post, those cheekbones would give her away.

Either Zombie or Valkyrie can post the next. :-)

Edit: Though on second thought, I was not able to find a second source to prove that it really is a pic of little Maggie Smith, so if you find a different version, don't take it personally, it's just a game. ;-)

Edited by paya
  • Like 2

Edit: Though on second thought, I was not able to find a second source to prove that it really is a pic of little Maggie Smith, so if you find a different version, don't take it personally, it's just a game. ;-)

I'd guessed it was an English actress because the older they get the more we love 'em :P

Tbh I thought it was Dame Judi Dench but nothing came up so I tried MS who's similar vintage and - bingo - there it was. You're right there's no definitive verification but early pics like these often appear in biogs and don't get posted on the interweb :(

Now then, who's this musty fusty dead guy? :lol:

4132884.jpeg?330

Clue: he wasn't a big fan of little guys :funny:

By any chance, was he naughty when he was in Europe? ;-) Not like the modern Britons - pick a cheap Eastern city, fly over there on Friday, get shitfaced two days in a row, pass out on the street, lose your passport, pay the fine to the Embassy and then fly home on Sunday.

Meaning like... IDK... win a battle or something...

• Like 1

Well it's 200 years since the Battle of Waterloo, so I thought of Duke of Wellington - but he was not alive when the photograph came about?

it's astonishing, but this is indeed a photograph of the Duke of Wellington - a one-off print process like the Polaroid, called a daguerreotype.

It was taken at the very beginning of photography, in 1844. You're looking at a man who knew Lord Nelson. And you're right - it's 200 years since he defeated Napoleon at Waterloo and spoiled the little guy's plans to become Emperor of Europe  :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Wellesley,_1st_Duke_of_Wellington

Your turn again, Paya :P

• Like 1

it's astonishing, but this is indeed a photograph of the Duke of Wellington - a one-off print process like the Polaroid, called a daguerreotype.

It was taken at the very beginning of photography, in 1844. You're looking at a man who knew Lord Nelson. And you're right - it's 200 years since he defeated Napoleon at Waterloo and spoiled the little guy's plans to become Emperor of Europe  :lol:

Your turn again, Paya :P

*snickers* Cool, he knew Lord Nelson, I was just kidding in my response :lol: 

• Like 1