Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation (99+53) The Grand and Deadly Design

For some reason, even though it is personal, I don't see Bridget getting personally involved in the take down. She has appeared when it was just her a couple of times (Julie's house and Geraldton), but most other attempts have always been from afar. Heck, she has Xavier in the room across the hall from Joel and Lisa's and their room is totally bugged. I just don't see her leaving Haiti until she is sure that her plan is completely executed.

B) ................ I see a total screw-up with her plan, and I remember her once saying; "If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself".

Edited by Benji
  • Like 2

B) ........... You misread what I wrote, I said that Trevor would be using the 30-06 on one boat, driven by a very angry woman.

I wasn't particularly quoting you on this one - though I know you've got firm views on the 30-06, and you may well be right about it coming down to a final show down between Bridget and Trevor.

I just don't see how Trevor et al can survive the 70-boat attack. The 30-06 is of academic interest only against that lot.

99+53: ... the next chapter, which will be the first of the final three.

99+52: After this chapter we have 2 chapters and an epilogue. 

99+51: After this chapter we have 2 chapters and an epilogue.

99+50: After this chapter (Chapter N9), we have 2 chapters and an epilogue.

99+49: Next week we have another relaxing chapter, after which we have 2 remaining chapters and an epilogue.

99+47: ... reaching this point means I can say for sure: 3 chapters and an epilogue remain.

I have a feeling we are still 10 chapters away from the end!  :wizard:

99+49: Next week we have another relaxing chapter, after which we have 2 remaining chapters and an epilogue.

99+47: ... reaching this point means I can say for sure: 3 chapters and an epilogue remain.

:lol: ..............How true, but everyone knows that goats can't count!!!

The claim that the goat can't count is specious. In fact, the goat has engaged in a series of cliffhangers. Was there really a computer failure that denied us the latest chapter for almost 2 weeks?  I think not.  A more plausible explanation is the cruel mindset of an author who continuously denies that he uses cliffhangers.  That delayed chapter constitutes a cliffhanger, not of  text, but of mechanical circumstance.  As  RobV has just noted, the predicted final chapter keeps moving away from the latest published chapter.  This constantly increasing distance from the original starting point constitutes yet another mechanical cliffhanger.   Never underestimate how subtle the goat can be in creating new ways of manufacturing cliffhangers!

• Like 2

I just want to say that I wouldn't mind if it takes a dozen more chapters to wrap things up -- the point isn't the ending, it's the journey, and what a journey.  It's of heavenly length.  I think that the Goat has really achieved a new level of work with this story, in which the meticulous research adds depth to the human dimensions, which come across as even more genuine and layered in this story than in his previous ones.  Granted, the human development is primarily among the four: Trevor, Shane, Joel, and Lisa -- Bridget is less a character than a type.  But there are some fine novels, like the Wooster and Jeeves novels of Wodehouse, in which one or two characters are fully realized as characters, by being surrounded by even major figures who are types. 

So take your time.  Continue to let the characters breathe their own air.  Don't take shortcuts.  Work out your meticulous plot twists, but don't forget the breathtaking characterizations you've drawn for the primary characters.  We haven't really heard the inner worlds of the four primary characters since the flight to the Falklands.  I'm sure in the three months since, Trevor and Shane have really grown in each other's care, and Joel and Lisa have absorbed some transformative life experience they encountered in Australia. 

And thank you, thank you, for giving of your time, creativity, and humanity to craft such artistry and share it with us as a gift. 

Interesting observations and I think you are right except for there being ten chapters remaining.  Should be no more than two or three plus an epilogue.    :P

The claim that the goat can't count is specious. In fact, the goat has engaged in a series of cliffhangers. Was there really a computer failure that denied us the latest chapter for almost 2 weeks?  I think not.  A more plausible explanation is the cruel mindset of an author who continuously denies that he uses cliffhangers.  That delayed chapter constitutes a cliffhanger, not of  text, but of mechanical circumstance.  As  RobV has just noted, the predicted final chapter keeps moving away from the latest published chapter.  This constantly increasing distance from the original starting point constitutes yet another mechanical cliffhanger.   Never underestimate how subtle the goat can be in creating new ways of manufacturing cliffhangers!

You are suggesting the goat keeps adding chapters so he can write more cliffhangers?  Hmmm.

Edited by MikeL

I just want to say that I wouldn't mind if it takes a dozen more chapters to wrap things up -- the point isn't the ending, it's the journey, and what a journey.  It's of heavenly length.  I think that the Goat has really achieved a new level of work with this story, in which the meticulous research adds depth to the human dimensions, which come across as even more genuine and layered in this story than in his previous ones.  Granted, the human development is primarily among the four: Trevor, Shane, Joel, and Lisa -- Bridget is less a character than a type.  But there are some fine novels, like the Wooster and Jeeves novels of Wodehouse, in which one or two characters are fully realized as characters, by being surrounded by even major figures who are types. 

So take your time.  Continue to let the characters breathe their own air.  Don't take shortcuts.  Work out your meticulous plot twists, but don't forget the breathtaking characterizations you've drawn for the primary characters.  We haven't really heard the inner worlds of the four primary characters since the flight to the Falklands.  I'm sure in the three months since, Trevor and Shane have really grown in each other's care, and Joel and Lisa have absorbed some transformative life experience they encountered in Australia. 

And thank you, thank you, for giving of your time, creativity, and humanity to craft such artistry and share it with us as a gift. 

I absolutely agree.  This is C J's best story ever...great research, character development and exactly the right length.

• Site Administrator

Interesting observations and I think you are right except for there being ten chapters remaining.  Should be no more than two or three plus an epilogu e.    :P

You are suggesting the goat keeps adding chapters so he can write more cliffhangers?  Hmmm.

I have to agree with you Mike 110% :thumbup:

No matter what the Goat posts as his own 'personal' time stamp, the GA time stamp is what the writer support team bases on eligibility for next years award!

I guess he has decided to go for broke and give us cliffhanger after cliffhanger until he runs out of them :D

I guess he has decided to go for broke and give us cliffhanger after cliffhanger until he runs out of them :D

Just wait, There is a whopping big "slightly stressful incident" coming which will beat the past. and I do not see any peacefull exit ! ? !

Just wait, There is a whopping big "slightly stressful incident" coming which will beat the past. and I do not see any peacefull exit ! ? !

B) ............. I see one peaceful exit, not sure how much bloodshed there will be though, honeymooners are victims in his past stories. But maybe the goats thirst will be quenched by just one more sacrifice. I'm thinking Frank Tittle or maybe even Gonzales, but Frank more so, he knows the danger to the boys and if he sacrifices himself to get them off the hook he will. There are only a couple chapters left (yeah, right!!) so the whole thing of Trevor's survival hinges on if he has seen the tape, if Frank can convince the 'other' cartels that Trevor had no way of seeing the tape, the danger is gone for Trevor. Of course it will cost Frank his life since he has seen it, but he is a lawyer and can lie very well. Why would Frank do such a thing? Maybe he is dying from all the fast food he eats and wants vengeance for Henry's death.

It seems to me that Frank Tittle and Mike Gonzalez could release copies of the tape to the news media; publicize it like crazy.  Gonzalez could give the news media transcripts of Trevor and Shane's sworn statements concerning where and when they found the tape.  If played properly, the shock waves would result in an immediate reaction by the other cartel members and they would liquidate Bridget in an effort to keep peace with the other cartels.

Treasure Beach, Jamaica would be Bridget's last port of call.

It seems to me that Frank Tittle and Mike Gonzalez could release copies of the tape to the news media; publicize it like crazy.  Gonzalez could give the news media transcripts of Trevor and Shane's sworn statements concerning where and when they found the tape.  If played properly, the shock waves would result in an immediate reaction by the other cartel members and they would liquidate Bridget in an effort to keep peace with the other cartels.

Treasure Beach, Jamaica would be Bridget's last port of call.

B) ..........To satisfy the narrative, anyone that  has seen the tape will be killed, so the only grace for Trevor is that it is not known he saw the tape. That fact has to be made known somehow to preserve his life. Someone or something must come forward to espouse that fact. I see no one other then Frank to further this argument to the 'other cartels'. His demise would save Trevor, thus satiating the bloodletting of the goat.

Edited by Benji

In the interests of balance, I think it's only fair to point out that, when I mentioned to CJ that there seemed to be a slightly elevated level of tension at the end of the next chapter, he was swift to reassure me that that, in fact, is not the case. Indeed, he went so far as to tell me that there is nothing to worry about.

So, there's no need for this scaremongering.

In the interests of balance, I think it's only fair to point out that, when I mentioned to CJ that there seemed to be a slightly elevated level of tension at the end of the next chapter, he was swift to reassure me that that, in fact, is not the case. Indeed, he went so far as to tell me that there is nothing to worry about.

So, there's no need for this scaremongering.

Funny.  Your picture doesn't look at all like a parrot.  :P

Edited by MikeL

Alright, I have read and enjoyed all 950 chapters of ths great story.   All I ask is that you do not   kill off Trevor and Shane.  Please do not do that after all that Trevor has been through that we all have lived through with him.  I have lived with him every week or two for a long while and he is almost like kin folks to us.    I also am going to miss these characters when you end it.   Thanks much for the great read.

Ricky

• Like 1

B) ..............I would have thought by now the goat would have responded to the comments and announced the title of the next (NEXT. NEXT) chapter!

Edited by Benji
  • Like 1

Just a fast visit from me; I'll answer the question in this thread soon. I've been super busy this week, as well as dealing with an injury that kept me off the computer for a few days (nothing serous, just racked up a few tendons in a leg, had to stay off it and keep it raised for a few days.).

The title to the next chapter is Final Rendezvous.

Now, as for the number of chapter remaining; I think I've been very consistent, for several chapters now, that it's about three. :) What's been happening is fleshing out the draft chapters (written long ago) resulted in them being bigger than expected, so some were slip into two.

However, as I've been saying for a long time, the story ends in August 2007, and it's already mid august 2007 in the posted chapter. 

So, I'm well along enough in finalizing the final chapters that I'm certain now. Final Rendezvous is the first of the final three. The next one, the next to last, is called Doomsday. After that, ONE chapter plus an epilogue. I won't release the title of the final chapter yet though. The reason I'll claim publicly is that it's a spoiler. The real reason is I haven't made up my mind yet. :) 

I'm now 100% certain we have three chapters to go, because Final Rendezvous is done, and Doomsday cannot be split. I'll even mention the reason, though it's a bit of a spoiler; there's a tiny touch of tension in some parts of it, and were I to split it, some unscrupulous scurrilous miscreant (perhaps from Canada :ph34r: ) might possibly imply that it's a cliffy. And, as we all know, our team and I are 110% dedicated to making absolutely 120% certain that there's not even a hint of a cliffy in Circumnavigation.

And, earlier in the thread I was asked how many days in December, 2012. Well, it's a leap year, and in the goat calender, that means December is quite large. Circumnavigation will conclude well before December does. In fact, I hope to be well into posting another novel before 2012 ends.  :ranger: 

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator

If I remember correctly, sometime ago, Wildone wrote and posted somewhere in CJ's forum a story about the goat. It'll take a little searching to find it. I think his origins began in Australia before coming to the U.S.which would explain a few things about him.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I'm now 100% certain we have three chapters to go, because Final Rendezvous is done, and Doomsday cannot be split. I'll even mention the reason, though it's a bit of a spoiler; there's a tiny touch of tension in some parts of it, and were I to split it, some unscrupulous scurrilous miscreant (perhaps from Canada :ph34r: ) might possibly imply that it's a cliffy. And, as we all know, our team and I are 110% dedicated to making absolutely 120% certain that there's not even a hint of a cliffy in Circumnavigation.

I'm a miscreant?  :o

I'm loved :wub:

:D

If I remember correctly, sometime ago, Wildone wrote and posted somewhere in CJ's forum a story about the goat. It'll take a little searching to find it. I think his origins began in Australia before coming to the U.S.which would explain a few things about him.

Good memory Jan! It does explain a lot of CJ's early goathood and why he is the way he is. Unfortunately I can't find it :unsure:

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..