Lately you have been having the same dream over and over again. Only today you realize parts of your dream are coming true. Is this something to be grateful for or terrified of?

Sept. 9, 2001

I spent Saturday night partying with my friends. As was our custom, we drank a lot and smoked a lot of weed and by the time I finally went to bed, I pretty much passed out. Normally I don't remember dreams but this one came through loud and clear.

I was in an unfamiliar place. I was surrounded by hundreds of strangers but I was just another face in the crowd. There was a great tower of glass and steel. A temple of a sort I think. People were constantly moving.

Suddenly there was a great explosion and much flame. People were dashed. There was blood and shattered glass everywhere. The fire consumned the temple and it collapsed upon the people.

I woke in a cold sweat at six in the morning twisted up in my sheets. Hell- I never wake up at six in the morning. My cat gave me a questioning look from across the room. Apparently he had abandoned his usual place at the foot of the bed.

I didn't know what to think of the dream. It was so vivid that I woke up still feeling anxious and edgy. I'm not the sort that thinks much about dreams or assigns them any special notice. That one felt different in a way that I can't explain. Years later, I can still remember it in detail while most of my dreams are gone as soon as I'm awake.

As the day wore on, I moved on to other things but there was a feeling of impending dread in the back of my mind.

The next day came and went and I was unable to dismiss that feeling.

It wasn't until Tuesday Sept. 11th that it made sense.

As someone who has studied the sciences all my life, I am the last person to believe in or take heed of prophetic dreams.

Be it the brain putting together a series of clues from the media, a subconscious connection to the collective unconscious or a once in a lifetime peek into the future; I don't know and I can't explain it.

It was this incident that proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that there are things that we just don't understand.

• Like 1