Here it is, the big question for any author. Regardless as to whether there story is designed for publishing online, offline or both.

How do I draft my piece?

First you have to decide whether you wish to build your draft in a word document or write it all up by hand. Secondly, How much detail are you going to go in too? Are you going to start with character building or profiling of the distinctive features of different species or sub-species. Maybe your just going to head straight in to the world you've built in your head and start the story. Then again you start mapping out your world and its land marks towns city's, countries and continents.  

The big question I'm asking you authors here on GA is How do you draft out your piece and how much detail do you go into and what methods do you use?

I make character lists with physical and summary descriptions. Then I make plotlines to lay out the entire story. Having the structure laid out helps me keep things in line and (hopefully) cover plot holes in advance. It helps me keep from making the story drift or possibly write myself into a corner. I often go back and add scenes to flesh out the story and I can't do that in a serial format. I prefer the story to be complete or mostly complete before I start posting. It makes me far less anxious that way.

The bonus is that during the posting process, I'm left open with time to begin working on the next project. Minimizes lag between stories and keeps me active. :)

• Site Administrator

It depends for me. Short stories I just go with an open document. Longer stories I'll often just add info as needed. IF I have special requirements to it like themed elements, or I know it will be a longer novel or a series, I'll do character bios and a mind map. I'll add an example of one basic bio I use for basic character info below.

As for  plotting ... many people think it's easy to write a story. Yet many novels use more than one plot arc, each with scenes that need to link to and influence other scenes. As you come up with the plot, or write the story, it can help keep track using a 'mind map' or bubble chart. These let you go back and forth and create main events and branch them out or link them together easily. I know I will go back and change elements from earlier in the story after having plotted the end, as ideas come to me, and it helps to have a program as fluid as my mind when it comes to organization. I have a bubble chart app for my computer that I use to create plot outlines, but you can use them from online sources as well. Check out this list on cnet for many options.

BASIC INFORMATION

Full name:

Pronunciation:

Nickname(s) or Alias:

Species:

Birthday:

Sexuality:

Nationality:

Religion:

City or town of birth:

Currently lives:

Languages spoken:

Native language:

Relationship Status:

PHYSICAL APPEARANCE

Height:

Weight:

Figure/build:

Hair colour:

Hairstyle:

Eye colour:

Skin/fur/etc colour:

Tattoos:

Piercings:

Scars/distinguishing marks:

Preferred style of clothing:

Frequently worn jewellery:

HEALTH

Smoker?

Drinker?

Drug User? Which?

Addictions:

Allergies:

Any physical ailments/illnesses/disabilities:

Any medication regularly taken:

PERSONALITY

Personality:

Dislikes:

Fears/phobias:

Favourite colour:

Hobbies:

Taste in music:

SKILLS

Talents/skills:

Ability to drive a car? Operate any other vehicles?

EATING HABITS

Omnivore/Carnivore/Herbivore:

Favourite food(s):

Favourite drink(s):

Disliked food:

Disliked drinks:

HOUSE AND HOME

Describe the character's house/home:

Significant/special belongings:

CAREER

Level of education:

Qualifications:

Current job title and description:

Name of employer:

COMBAT

Peaceful or aggressive attitude?

Fighting skills/techniques:

Special skills/magical powers/etc:

Weapon of choice (if any):

Weaknesses in combat:

Strengths in combat:

FAMILY, FRIENDS AND FOES

Parents names:

Are parents alive or dead?

Is the character still in contact with their parents?

Siblings? Relationship with siblings?

Other Important Relatives:

Partner/Spouse:

Children:

Best Friend:

Other Important Friends:

Acquaintances:

Pets:

Enemies? Why are they enemies?

BACKSTORY

Describe their childhood (newborn - age 10):

Describe their  teenage years (11 - 19):

Describe their  adult years (20+):

• Like 1

I have been doing pretty much everything in word up to a short time ago.

I am beginning to use Scrivener now. It'll take time to learn to make full use of it but so far, so good.

The way it breaks chapters into scenes works really well with the way I write.

Also- in the past I tended to write in a "linear" fashion. I would get hung on a scene and beat on it until I was done and moved on.

Now I can bypass sticking points and move on to scenes that I'm more inspired to write and revisit the difficult ones later.

It will take a while to learn all of the tricks of a new software package but I think it will be worth the effort.

Edited by jamessavik
  • Like 3

I like to do a little outline to do three things:

1) provide me a list of all the characters with birth dates, physical descriptions, and short bios (just enough to remind me that character X has blond hair and is a smoker, and character Y is 55 years old and is missing his left leg). Street addresses are handy as well, even if they're fictitious streets in made-up cities.

2) give me the overall "bullet points" to hit in each chapter, just broad strokes of the three or four major story points that have to occur so I have a general sense of direction and mood.

and 3) a timeline of when all the events of the story happen. This way, if a character refers back to something that happened on March 15th, I can be bloody well sure it didn't happen on April 2nd.

Nobody ever reads these documents but me. I detest writers who stuff character lists at the heads of their stories. To me, that insults the reader, as if they aren't smart enough to remember who everybody is. If Tolkien and Rowling can write novels with 120+ speaking roles and not provide character guides to the reader, then anybody can.

I just finished a 120,000-word novel that takes place over a 3-week period in October/November 1864, and it was a real trial to try to remember whether something happened on a Monday or a Friday, particularly when the story was so dense. 

One important point: for me, it's wrong to over-outline a story. To me, much of the fun for the writer happens during the discovery process while writing, where you stop and say, "whoa! What if THIS happens instead?" If you've done page-long outlines on each chapter, there won't be nearly as many surprises. For me, I just jot down the bare bones of what's going to happen, sometimes just a vague sentence like, "Character A goes to City Z and meets Character B, and saves the life of Character C." The fun side comes in the details.

But then... there are writers (notably Stephen King) who often claim that they work entirely without a net and sit down at the keyboard with no notes, no plot, and no ending, and just start writing until they stop. That generally doesn't work for me. J.K. Rowling famously claimed she cooked up the idea for the Harry Potter novels while waiting for a train in Scotland, but it took her several years just to figure out the overall story arc, develop the characters, and come up with the "rules" for the fantasy world they inhabited. Only then was she able to actually sit down and write the first novel. But fantasy is kind of a separate challenge apart from normal fiction.

Edited by The Pecman

In general, I outline, but it's probably more like a concept map or spiderweb.  When it comes to fantasy or sci-fi, I create a map of the country or ship and describe places or people within it.  Sometimes I write short fiction pieces to cement ideas or characters in my mind.  But, since I'm a visual person, a map is essential for me when world-building.

Like jamessavik, I also use Scrivener. I've been using it for a couple of years now, and I love it as a writing tool. It makes everything very nice and easy. I use the cork board feature when I start out and make a short chapter by chapter outline. Not too much detail, just 'this happens in this chapter' or, sometimes, even just 'this is the general theme of this chapter'.

Then I just start writing from the beginning. First few chapters will usually be pretty linear while I get a feel for the story and the style I want to write in. After that, I might start jumping around a little bit. If I get stuck somewhere, I'll skip ahead and write the things I know are going to happen first, or just write scenes I feel like writing, some of which never even end up in the finished draft. 

Sometimes I make character profiles. Sometimes I just end up writing them down as I go along. Usually, I learn more about my characters from writing them than I do from making lists or profiles. Their appearances and mannerisms are all safely stored in my brain. I find that, if I have a more minor character that I can't really wrap my head around, writing a few scenes from the character's point of view tends to sort it out. 

It's different if I'm trying to write genre fiction, sci-fi or fantasy or horror or something like that. Then I need to plot it more thoroughly, map out my world and profile my characters so I know what the hell I'm doing.

Short stories I don't plot at all. I start writing, and then I write until the story is finished and then go back and read and proof and rewrite and alter things until I'm happy with it all.

I use Word for short stories, but I also use Scrivener for large projects to help keep things organized and like it quite a lot.  I think it also has a function where you can create profiles for your characters.  I almost never do detailed character profiles, but will write down some important points to make sure that the character's eye color or name doesn't change.   But overall, I find out more about the character as I write the story, rather than filling out a profile, but maybe I'm just odd  :P  It's the same with outlines.  I will write an outlines for long or complicated pieces to make sure I don't hit any plot holes like Mann mentioned and to stay on course.  But with short stories, I don't bother.  I think outlining too much takes the fun out of it.  I like to jump in, make a mess and have a good time  :P

Yes, Scrivener has templates for character profiles. Also for locations. I've used them a bit.

There was a talk or panel or something at the World Fantasy Convention 2011 in SD where they started talking about plotting. Connie Willis (sci-fi author, massively cool human being) said she can spend two years just plotting her novels. Then she spends over five years writing them and never deviates from her outline even just a little bit. I think this sounds like a tedious and exhausting way to write, but to each their own. :P

this depends if I've actually decided to write something. Books like Don't Shout and The Wall and Goat had NO planning. I mean not one word. i literally at and down and wrote 50k without a word of planning.

When i actually decide to write something i tend to have a character list often with little asides and descriptions of main features (continuity is a bitch). Mapping rocks. Mapping is awesome for finding out where people live in relation to each other, getting stupidly pointless details of things.

the book which I will write this novemeber for NanoWriMo has the most planning I've ever done (big world map with trade routes, characters spreadsheet, three strand timeline and a whole load of research about suitcase bombs and the Atomic rocket). whereas all Finding Atlantis had was a very sketchy chapter-by-chapter plot and about four words on each character.

also....am i the only one that Scrivener seems pointless to? I just use files...

I make character lists with physical and summary descriptions. Then I make plotlines to lay out the entire story. Having the structure laid out helps me keep things in line and (hopefully) cover plot holes in advance. It helps me keep from making the story drift or possibly write myself into a corner. I often go back and add scenes to flesh out the story and I can't do that in a serial format. I prefer the story to be complete or mostly complete before I start posting. 

Me thinks that you are way too organised.... i am slightly jealous of this...

this depends if I've actually decided to write something. Books like Don't Shout and The Wall and Goat had NO planning. I mean not one word. i literally at and down and wrote 50k without a word of planning.

It's possible. Very, very often, I've sat down and started writing and deviated from my outline, and wound up with a far better, more interesting direction for the story. So discoveries always can happen. I do think it's a good idea to have a vague sense of direction before you start, so you're not completely winging it.

also....am i the only one that Scrivener seems pointless to? I just use files...

I know people who use it and love it, and I try not to tell other people how to write. For me personally, paper or extra notes on the computer work fine to me. The only time I would use a specific program to help write would be with a screenplay, since you have to fit a very specific kind of industry formatting that's rigidly enforced. For fiction, anything goes. 

• Like 1

Since most of the characters I write are ones I've already developed in online rpg games, I don't have to worry about character descriptions or traits, ect because those things were fleshed out years ago which makes it easy to open word, sit down and just write. Sometimes an idea will come and ill take notes on whats to come a chapter or two in advance, but otherwise, it's off the cuff every writing session and i just let the characters guide where the story goes. i prolly should structure more, but the few times I've known how the story was going to end because i started writing it, i never finished, because the surprise factor just wasn't there for me.

Since most of the characters I write are ones I've already developed in online rpg games, I don't have to worry about character descriptions or traits, ect because those things were fleshed out years ago which makes it easy to open word, sit down and just write.

I am so glad that somebody out there does this too!

• 2 months later...

Most of my characters come from dreams and day dreams and basically when i'm not coherent. I find just bullet points make as soon as you come out of the world helps remind you and remember what happens who the character is and whats happening in the world.

Most of the time, I just keep it in my head.  If I'm really trying to be detailed about it, I'll write it out longhand and then follow it.  Really bare bones, but normally when I do that, I'm REALLY trying to incorporate certain elements, so I'll detail out the symbolism I'm using.  I only really draft when I want to write how I've been TAUGHT to write instead of just writing for the hell of it.  It gets really messy when those two things come together though.  My current project started out as one of those writing for the hell of it, I had a generally idea, sat down and got too it.  But now I'm starting to think from a reader's point of view and trying harder to make them see what is going on in my head.  So I've made a plan for my chapters...but it's all in my head.  I have the entire ending written...in my head.  I should probably fix that...XD

Most of the time, I just keep it in my head.  If I'm really trying to be detailed about it, I'll write it out longhand and then follow it.  Really bare bones, but normally when I do that, I'm REALLY trying to incorporate certain elements, so I'll detail out the symbolism I'm using.  I only really draft when I want to write how I've been TAUGHT to write instead of just writing for the hell of it.  It gets really messy when those two things come together though.  My current project started out as one of those writing for the hell of it, I had a generally idea, sat down and got too it.  But now I'm starting to think from a reader's point of view and trying harder to make them see what is going on in my head.  So I've made a plan for my chapters...but it's all in my head.  I have the entire ending written...in my head.  I should probably fix that...XD

I write in my head, too. I'm an insomniac, and when I can't sleep, I sometimes lie back and close my eyes and see my stories unfolding in my mind. 

• Like 1

I'm still learning with each story, and most of my writing firmly stays away from fantasy/paranormal, but I hope I can add on something to this. 

First you have to decide whether you wish to build your draft in a word document or write it all up by hand. Secondly, How much detail are you going to go in too? Are you going to start with character building or profiling of the distinctive features of different species or sub-species. Maybe your just going to head straight in to the world you've built in your head and start the story. Then again you start mapping out your world and its land marks towns city's, countries and continents.  

The big question I'm asking you authors here on GA is How do you draft out your piece and how much detail do you go into and what methods do you use?

My character development starts with all of the above, sitting down and really getting to know my characters, how they look, what they eat, or don't e.t.c.  Understanding your characters makes it easier for the story to flow out of you.

Also research on towns- locations where my characters are going to be.  This is where you involve online friends, family and friends, strangers if need be, just to understand what a certain place looks like or what traditions are known around a certain area.  I once wrote out a scene on one of my stories, and I sent it to my editor and he goes like, "That scene is amazing, and all, but that's just not New York.  It works great with the characters getting closer, but for someone who lives there, the location is just not believable."  So, at that moment, you get back to the drawing board and learn more about your location as much as you can.  The scene worked out, and if you really can't get it right, visiting the place makes all the difference. 

I'd imagine when creating your own world, some of this rules might change, but there's always that certain thing that is known about a certain city.  I've been watching way too much game of thrones, but when Daenerys Targaryen joined the Dothraki tribe, the girls kept repeating this line 'It is known' about certain aspects of their tribe.  I try to find out what is known about certain cities and make sure not to ignore that otherwise you might get a reader who goes like, that story was great but there is no way that location is right.  So, when creating a world, make sure to add what your characters would say 'It is known' to about a certain city or culture aspect of your world.

Also, sometimes stories come from people you know or know of.  We all have one reality and there are scenes that wouldn't happen to you on any given day, but would happen to your neighbor, people you know or know of.  Reading newspapers,  life histories and old war stories can spark inspiration. And I don't mean people like Gandhi although it's good to know such things, I like to listen to my grandma tell me stories of her life and what she saw or did.  That kind of source gives you so much to work with, when you're writing and suddenly get stuck, that is a great way to get you jump started again.

Learning about political and economic struggles in your country and what's on the news and why, if there's an election going on, think of  your character and what side they'd be on and why, that helps build your plot, and add more color.  There is no such thing as knowing too much information about your character, mostly because you're acting as his creator, and even though what you know about your main character doesn't show up in the story, the reason why he made certain decisions will make more sense. With a clear picture of your setting and what is going on politically, economically or socially in your world, a reader will also understand your character's decision.

Up to now, I've tried them all, writing on paper, software like dramatica pro, word.  I can only tell you that your best tool is the one you're most comfortable with, the one allowing you to create the best.  Sometimes in meetings at work, instead of listening to my boss, I write out dialogue on a scrap piece of paper, later on word, using that dialogue, I'll flesh out the scene, sometime in the next week, I'll get on Dramatica and try to fit that scene in to the big scheme of things.  Sadly, a month later, that scene could face the chopping block if a better scene is inspired by another  conference meeting.   What works for you, is what you're most comfortable with, I think.  I've known writer friends who won't create without peace and quiet in a closed room with only a laptop.  Another one who hangs out at a library.

By the end of this, filling out the form on Cia's answer can be so easy once you've done your research, it becomes fun.  I'd also advice to get a friend who won't mind reading your million and one drafts.  One who won't be afraid to tell you the truth and one who you won't hate too much when they tell you, what you've spent the last week working on is not so good and could be better. :P

Also, writing is a learning process, what worked for your last story might not work for your next one.  Read and learn about plot, how to plan it, the different aspects of point of view, why it matters, language how to use less words to describe a scene, dialogue, and all that fun stuff, learning never ends, but it  should always be fun. :wizard:

Exactly what happens to me. Sometimes it really sucks lol

It sucks when I fall asleep half-way, but at least it works for that. :P

I actually went and mapped out Lavender & Gold the other night. Set up a time-line, week by week what happens when. Because I realised, I'm writing about a movie star. I need to know his schedule, how long filming lasts for, when he does what, etc. So now everything makes sense, and I know exactly how it's gonna end. :D

It sucks when I fall asleep half-way, but at least it works for that. :P

I actually went and mapped out Lavender & Gold the other night. Set up a time-line, week by week what happens when. Because I realised, I'm writing about a movie star. I need to know his schedule, how long filming lasts for, when he does what, etc. So now everything makes sense, and I know exactly how it's gonna end. :D

I did that with Umbrella too.  But more because the timelines between my two characters don't follow the same line until they meet.  And they haven't yet...  So to prevent myself from getting confused, I mapped it.  :P

I'm still learning with each story, and most of my writing firmly stays away from fantasy/paranormal, but I hope I can add on something to this. 

My character development starts with all of the above, sitting down and really getting to know my characters, how they look, what they eat, or don't e.t.c.  Understanding your characters makes it easier for the story to flow out of you.

Also research on towns- locations where my characters are going to be.  This is where you involve online friends, family and friends, strangers if need be, just to understand what a certain place looks like or what traditions are known around a certain area.  I once wrote out a scene on one of my stories, and I sent it to my editor and he goes like, "That scene is amazing, and all, but that's just not New York.  It works great with the characters getting closer, but for someone who lives there, the location is just not believable."  So, at that moment, you get back to the drawing board and learn more about your location as much as you can.  The scene worked out, and if you really can't get it right, visiting the place makes all the difference. 

I'd imagine when creating your own world, some of this rules might change, but there's always that certain thing that is known about a certain city.  I've been watching way too much game of thrones, but when Daenerys Targaryen joined the Dothraki tribe, the girls kept repeating this line 'It is known' about certain aspects of their tribe.  I try to find out what is known about certain cities and make sure not to ignore that otherwise you might get a reader who goes like, that story was great but there is no way that location is right.  So, when creating a world, make sure to add what your characters would say 'It is known' to about a certain city or culture aspect of your world.

Also, sometimes stories come from people you know or know of.  We all have one reality and there are scenes that wouldn't happen to you on any given day, but would happen to your neighbor, people you know or know of.  Reading newspapers,  life histories and old war stories can spark inspiration. And I don't mean people like Gandhi although it's good to know such things, I like to listen to my grandma tell me stories of her life and what she saw or did.  That kind of source gives you so much to work with, when you're writing and suddenly get stuck, that is a great way to get you jump started again.

Learning about political and economic struggles in your country and what's on the news and why, if there's an election going on, think of  your character and what side they'd be on and why, that helps build your plot, and add more color.  There is no such thing as knowing too much information about your character, mostly because you're acting as his creator, and even though what you know about your main character doesn't show up in the story, the reason why he made certain decisions will make more sense. With a clear picture of your setting and what is going on politically, economically or socially in your world, a reader will also understand your character's decision.

Up to now, I've tried them all, writing on paper, software like dramatica pro, word.  I can only tell you that your best tool is the one you're most comfortable with, the one allowing you to create the best.  Sometimes in meetings at work, instead of listening to my boss, I write out dialogue on a scrap piece of paper, later on word, using that dialogue, I'll flesh out the scene, sometime in the next week, I'll get on Dramatica and try to fit that scene in to the big scheme of things.  Sadly, a month later, that scene could face the chopping block if a better scene is inspired by another  conference meeting.   What works for you, is what you're most comfortable with, I think.  I've known writer friends who won't create without peace and quiet in a closed room with only a laptop.  Another one who hangs out at a library.

By the end of this, filling out the form on Cia's answer can be so easy once you've done your research, it becomes fun.  I'd also advice to get a friend who won't mind reading your million and one drafts.  One who won't be afraid to tell you the truth and one who you won't hate too much when they tell you, what you've spent the last week working on is not so good and could be better. :P

Also, writing is a learning process, what worked for your last story might not work for your next one.  Read and learn about plot, how to plan it, the different aspects of point of view, why it matters, language how to use less words to describe a scene, dialogue, and all that fun stuff, learning never ends, but it  should always be fun. :wizard:

If you ever have a problem with a place to hold your story like a town or city. You can always create one. Think about the building designs, terrace or semi detached. Wooden or stone. Modern or medieval, Or perhaps further back. Its your wold. Create it so it fits your story. Not so you build the story around it. It becomes more when you weave the story in to the stone. So Far in my small world even though I only have 14 fleshed out characters I have 18 countries and two continents and an island. Now i'm working on the towns before i even write the first chapter. 

I don't know if that helps your NY issue. But remember if your in doubt of what ancient buildings looked like reconstructive archaeology works. I know there are hundreds of places in Britain that do different section of time. I'm not so sure about Europe.

If you ever have a problem with a place to hold your story like a town or city. You can always create one. Think about the building designs, terrace or semi detached. Wooden or stone. Modern or medieval, Or perhaps further back. Its your wold. Create it so it fits your story. Not so you build the story around it. It becomes more when you weave the story in to the stone. So Far in my small world even though I only have 14 fleshed out characters I have 18 countries and two continents and an island. Now i'm working on the towns before i even write the first chapter. 

I don't know if that helps your NY issue. But remember if your in doubt of what ancient buildings looked like reconstructive archaeology works. I know there are hundreds of places in Britain that do different section of time. I'm not so sure about Europe.

I created Windfield Green, from Nemesis, from scratch. It was an interesting process. I now know exactly how it looks, which streets cross which, where the pubs are located and what they're like, what the library looks like, how to get to school, where everyone works, how big the supermarket is, etc... It's as if I've lived there myself. :P

• Like 1