Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation (99+57) final chapter: From Hell's Heart

so why does the gayauthors summary still show this as zero words?

Don't know.  By my count, chapter 156 is 20,390 words.

Circumnavigation comes in at 1,126,091 words excluding the epilogue, exactly double War and Peace (Tolstoy) and almost as long as Remembrance of Things Past (Proust).

Edited by MikeL

so why does the gayauthors summary still show this as zero words?

i also notice that the summary page shows the story as last updated in April.  for some reason the final chapter doesn't show up anywhere.  when i sent a message to gayauthors they said there wasn't a notification problem that the last chapter was in april.  dumb dumb dumb.

and finally, when do we start clamoring for the epilogue?

Sad to see the devastation of the fires there and the loss of those brave firefighters lives. Unfortunately we also live in a very fire prone area so our thoughts are with the people there. Glad to hear that CJ is OK though

I'm okay, but I've been having a hell of a time getting online. Often, I can't get past the Ga main page, or even load CNN or other major sites. (internet connection is acting up)

I've been super busy with the fire situation, mainly clearing fuel from around my home. I had rain yesterday and today (and a hell of a lot of lightning- it's lightning season) so for now, I'm safe from fire. That also gave me some time to finish the epilogue.

I don't live in Prescott, but I'm shocked by the horrific loss of the firefighters, and also by the destruction of the town of Yarnell, which I know very well. 

The epilogue went to beta a few minutes ago. :)

It's 3:30 AM, so I'll get some sleep then be back to post in threads and catch up on PM's and e-mail. Sorry I've been so slow.

I know that the epilogue is coming but I can't wait to review the whole story (minus the epilogue).

I started to read the story about a year ago, got hooked pretty badly and finished all available chapters. I normally prefer to read finished stories, so that was pretty unusual for me to start this one. I'm not so good in waiting for weeks for a new chapter (esp. with those cliffhangers CJ loves) so I bookmarked the story and hatched the plan that I would read all in one go when the story is finished.

About 3 days ago I noticed that just the epilogue was missing so I started from the beginning an reread everything. It was a wild ride (and some long nights).

I absolutely loved the story. I like the characters (even though I wanted to shout quite often at Lisa and Joel  for there obliviousness towards Bridget). I loved the adventure and I'm amazed at all the little details.

I'm not sure if I ever learned so much from a story of this kind. I had no clue about sailing and most of the technical stuff before and haven't been to many of the prescribed places. So it was very interesting to learn sth about it. This story made me look up maps (not just google, even the suez canal where you could see the ships going through right at this moment), read up on historical, technical and scientific details (equation of time...) and I watched videos of rogue waves and rough waters to get a feeling for the southern crossing. No other story ever managed to make me so interested.

I hope you continue writing for a long time. :) It will be interesting to see what your next topic will be. You seem to be someone who reads up on every little aspect needed for a story (I just can't believe that you knew everything before writing circumnavigation. Even though a lot sounded like first hand experience.) So I'm looking forward to learn about sth new again. :)

Greetings,

F

PS: English is not my first language. Pls excuse any remaining mistakes.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I know that the epilogue is coming but I can't wait to review the whole story (minus the epilogue).

I started to read the story about a year ago, got hooked pretty badly and finished all available chapters. I normally prefer to read finished stories, so that was pretty unusual for me to start this one. I'm not so good in waiting for weeks for a new chapter (esp. with those cliffhangers CJ loves) so I bookmarked the story and hatched the plan that I would read all in one go when the story is finished.

About 3 days ago I noticed that just the epilogue was missing so I started from the beginning an reread everything. It was a wild ride (and some long nights).

I absolutely loved the story. I like the characters (even though I wanted to shout quite often at Lisa and Joel  for there obliviousness towards Bridget). I loved the adventure and I'm amazed at all the little details.

I'm not sure if I ever learned so much from a story of this kind. I had no clue about sailing and most of the technical stuff before and haven't been to many of the prescribed places. So it was very interesting to learn sth about it. This story made me look up maps (not just google, even the suez canal where you could see the ships going through right at this moment), read up on historical, technical and scientific details (equation of time...) and I watched videos of rogue waves and rough waters to get a feeling for the southern crossing. No other story ever managed to make me so interested.

I hope you continue writing for a long time. :) It will be interesting to see what your next topic will be. You seem to be someone who reads up on every little aspect needed for a story (I just can't believe that you knew everything before writing circumnavigation. Even though a lot sounded like first hand experience.) So I'm looking forward to learn about sth new again. :)

Greetings,

F

Wow, I'm amazed.

With English as not your first language, to plow through 156 chapters in 3 days is pretty amazing :)

I like your comments about how it feels reading a story of CJ's and agree, it is like he has personally experienced the events himself. I have learned how to do so much from his stories that it almost wants to make me go out and try to do them. From sailing, to making makeshift fuel tanks to even building a nuclear weapon (twice).

As much as CJ is great on the technical details, I also appreciate his interaction between the characters as well. Take Trevorj's different relationships with the other characters. Joel and Lisa are like brother and sister. Dad was an adversary at the beginning and then they finally talked and probably will be best friends. His mom, when he found out she was alive, he was happy but angry. Wouldn't you be. Once he found out about Bridgett, his attitude greatly changed, who's wouldn't. All in all the characters are as important as the scenery and the technical knowledge. I think if it was all technical I would fall asleep like I did with so many textbooks in school :P

Now the epilogue should be out soon all wrapped up. Then the suspense will be on for what is next ;)

Greetings friends of the Circumnavigation  :read:

I have begun rereading also. d I'm past chapter 100, so I'll finish tomorrow. I noted some things that were loose ends but nothing terrible. So, I was going to say something but the epilogue is done and the little things probably won't matter so much unless CJ decides to do a rewrite or something at some point......but I'm just amazed again at how well written this stoy is.....the number of twists and turns......coming and going of characters.......variations in the story that cause characters to change their thoughts, ideas, plans......this is an EPIC accomplishimet!!

I also noticed so many clues I completely missed the first time. For me, rereading the 3 or 4 chapters prior to trevors reunion with his mom and all those clues about the key lime pie, etc.....that was so funny the second time because I figured it out the first time through but completely didn't get all those clues.

I really appreciate the work of this beta team, and especially our beloved goat of an author CJ........all of you are wonderful, ingenious, and dear to me and I'm sure to everyone else who has read this story........have great pride in what you have done,....there are few who reach such grand heights of accmplishment.

I would not have guessed if you had not mentioned this. Your use of English is considerably better than many for whom it is a first language...

Greetings,

F

Francesca, thank you.

Some of it is firsthand experience. I travel a great deal, I can fly a plane, I can sail, etc, and I do indeed do a lot of research. However,  I had a great deal of help on all of this from my team; I credit them and their varied areas of expertise with making this story happen.

But... cliffhangers? Me? I never, ever use cliffhangers. 0:)

Greetings friends of the Circumnavigation  :read:

I have begun rereading also. d I'm past chapter 100, so I'll finish tomorrow. I noted some things that were loose ends but nothing terrible. So, I was going to say something but the epilogue is done and the little things probably won't matter so much unless CJ decides to do a rewrite or something at some point......but I'm just amazed again at how well written this stoy is.....the number of twists and turns......coming and going of characters.......variations in the story that cause characters to change their thoughts, ideas, plans......this is an EPIC accomplishimet!!

I also noticed so many clues I completely missed the first time. For me, rereading the 3 or 4 chapters prior to trevors reunion with his mom and all those clues about the key lime pie, etc.....that was so funny the second time because I figured it out the first time through but completely didn't get all those clues.

I really appreciate the work of this beta team, and especially our beloved goat of an author CJ........all of you are wonderful, ingenious, and dear to me and I'm sure to everyone else who has read this story........have great pride in what you have done,....there are few who reach such grand heights of accmplishment.

I'm addicted to foreshadowing. :) The problem is that if I make it easy to get, it's a spoiler. But if I make it too hard to get, it might as well not be there. So, I usually use a lot, figuring that some will be missed. :)

Thank you. I do admit to being very proud of what we (the team) have done. It was a very long and hard project for all of us - far longer than expected.

Wow, I'm amazed.

With English as not your first language, to plow through 156 chapters in 3 days is pretty amazing :)

I like your comments about how it feels reading a story of CJ's and agree, it is like he has personally experienced the events himself. I have learned how to do so much from his stories that it almost wants to make me go out and try to do them. From sailing, to making makeshift fuel tanks to even building a nuclear weapon (twice).

As much as CJ is great on the technical details, I also appreciate his interaction between the characters as well. Take Trevorj's different relationships with the other characters. Joel and Lisa are like brother and sister. Dad was an adversary at the beginning and then they finally talked and probably will be best friends. His mom, when he found out she was alive, he was happy but angry. Wouldn't you be. Once he found out about Bridgett, his attitude greatly changed, who's wouldn't. All in all the characters are as important as the scenery and the technical knowledge. I think if it was all technical I would fall asleep like I did with so many textbooks in school :P

Now the epilogue should be out soon all wrapped up. Then the suspense will be on for what is next ;)

I'm fortunate to have led a rather odd life, so in many cases I do have at least a bit of firsthand knowledge of various subjects, at least enough to base further research off of. I also had a tremendous amount of help. For example, on characterizations; Graeme is superb at that, and not only does he comment (and challenge) on those issues during beta (for example, pointing out that a character is acting out of character so I can fix it) but he's tought me a tremendous amount over the years - he's a superb and brilliant writer (one of the best ever IMHO), and has long been my mentor.    

I've had fun on some of the tech. Some of it I actually had to build to see exactly how it would work (such as Trevor's improvised nav tools).

CJ :)

B) ..............."But... cliffhangers? Me? I never, ever use cliffhangers. 0:)   .............. Could that be famous last words?

there are no cliff hangers when Spider Goat is around

spider_goat-25180.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Outstanding story;  really liked it;  probably one of best.

Really loved the final solution  (ground and tie to palms);   might really work;  with little luck.

watcher

• Like 1

Outstanding story;  really liked it;  probably one of best.

Really loved the final solution  (ground and tie to palms);   might really work;  with little luck.

watcher

Well, it had to happen this way. Joel has been so insistent about running overland!

Well....six weeks from release of final chapter?? How's the epilogue edit going, are we almost there??

B) ................Now, now December has many weeks left in it!!!   :lol:

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..