In Britain we love quizzes. These aren't school tests they're TV quiz shows, pub team quizzes and so on. So it might be fun to throw out some obscure questions and learn some useless - maybe even useful - factoids :lol:

So, to kick off

Who's been nearest the Sun?

*for this question you can use Google :P*

Edited by Zombie

That's a very cultured answer Sly :P And here's poor doomed Icarus, as painted by Lord Leighton, being prepared for flight by his father, Daedalus, who warns him not to fly too close to the Sun ... :(

Leighton_DaedalusAndIcarus.jpg

But no, I was thinking real people :P

*wonders why there's always an irksome breeze blowing a wispy bit of cloth over the nude model just at the very moment the artist is painting! :angry::lol:*

Edited by Zombie

Hmm, I googled it but the answer was so full of if's. I did understand what it meant though. I would say anyone at noon during the perihelion (unless someone is in space at the time of perihelion).

Are you looking for a specific name? Because the answer I got was ten lines long. :o 

Hmm, I googled it but the answer was so full of if's. I did understand what it meant though. I would say anyone at noon during the perihelion (unless someone is in space at the time of perihelion).

Are you looking for a specific name?

No specific name. Clues:

- the "who" is people :)

- perihelion is the key to the answer :)

The astronauts that landed on the moon?

Logical, scientific ... and wrong :P

Edited by Zombie

OK I did google it lol. I think the answer is our earliest mankind. Since the earth continuites to move further away from the sun, the ealrie ancestors, specifically Africans were closer to the Sun than us. 70,000 years ago.

That's a very cultured answer Sly :P And here's poor doomed Icarus, as painted by Lord Leighton, being prepared for flight by his father, Daedalus, who warns him not to fly too close to the Sun ... :(

But no, I was thinking real people :P

*wonders why there's always an irksome breeze blowing a wispy bit of cloth over the nude model just at the very moment the artist is painting! :angry::lol:*

:o  Are you saying that Greek gods never existed? I'm shocked, shocked ! :pissed: Bad Zombie ! :funny:

ηλίθιο ζόμπι :lol: Thank you google translate !

Edited by slytherin
  • Like 2

OK I did google it lol. I think the answer is our earliest mankind. Since the earth continuites to move further away from the sun, the ealrie ancestors, specifically Africans were closer to the Sun than us. 70,000 years ago.

:worship:

The Earth's orbit is an ellipse, so we’re always moving closer and further away from the Sun. The closest point is "perihelion" as Leshwar said. Studies of the planetary orbits in the solar system show the Earth’s elliptical orbit was once more extreme so its perihelion was closer to the Sun. Dr Stuart Eves of Surrey Satellite Technology has calculated that since modern humans evolved in Africa 70,000 years ago, the perihelion has moved almost three million miles further away compared with the Apollo astronauts, that the croc mentioned, who travelled only 225,000 miles from Earth. So it's these unnamed Africans who hold the record of “closest to the sun” at 146 million km compared with 149 million today. The Earth is also moving slowly away from the Sun as Breeze correctly says, just as the Moon is also moving away from the Earth. So there's your first factoid :lol:

Breeze's turn - and it can be anything :)

Edited by Zombie

I'd have to google it, but it was two characters from "it's a Wonderful Life", one being the cab driver.  Can't remember the other.  Sheesh  Yes, I do.  I think it was the policeman. 

Edited by joann414

I'd have to google it, but it was two characters from "it's a Wonderful Life", one being the cab driver.  Can't remember the other.  Sheesh  Yes, I do.  I think it was the policeman. 

Yup thats right JoAnn...your turn next.