"It would have been bad news – in spades"

Mr Parker F Jones has to be a hot contender to win the 2013 Understatement Of The year prize :P

A secret document, published in declassified form for the first time by the Guardian today, reveals that the US Air Force came dramatically close to detonating an atom bomb over North Carolina that would have been 260 times more powerful than the device that devastated Hiroshima ... "one simple, dynamo-technology, low voltage switch stood between the United States and a major catastrophe" ... "It would have been bad news – in spades," he wrote... http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/20/usaf-atomic-bomb-north-carolina-1961

Almost as epic as BA Captain Eric Moody's announcement to passengers when all 4 engines stopped after flying through a volcanic dust cloud "Ladies and gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. We have a problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing are damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress" :lol:

• Like 3

actually it's not that bad...

although the loss of life would have been horrible and so on...

in the end it would have been no more than what happened at Fukishima or anywhere else...

you must remember we've had hordes of Nuclear Test that has doused the entire west and parts of the East in varying degrees of Radiation... Not to mention the Pacific Ocean...

I kind of find it interesting how we are so concerned about Fukishima now and the stuff flowing our way from it... and yet... what about Bikini Atoll, or Frances South Pacific nuclear Sites....

Yes it is Horrible for the Japanese...

people should stop worrying about Nuclear radiation floating through the ocean though because that's already been done...

Speak for yourself!  That incident happened 60 miles from my home at the time.  We were doing "duck & cover" drills at school...like that was going to help.

Well obviously it'd be bad for you...

what I meant is in the long run... 20, 30, or as much as 50 years later....