so for the first time, i am writing in American. i am also writing in the first person present, which is fun and painful.

Chapters of Direct Confusion update every friday, and there are currently 7 of them, and i haven't finished writing yet.

Our star and narrator Luke is a out, smart, popular, cute, gay jock. He won the lottery on life. his boyfriend is cute, nerdy and in the closet, which isn't fun of either of them. Luke is assisted in his quest to be happy by his two best friends Derrick and Jim and the sports teams with which they play.

But oogling boys in speedos isn't a substitute for an actual relationship. Just when things might all go downhill, the Parker twins show up in his life, and they cause a lot of confusion.

Hi Sasha

congratulations on making Promising Author, you deserve it. However, it does make it more cumbersome to get to your story blogs to comment (more clicks before I'm there). But then I suppose your dedicated fans (of which I'm one, but I guess that's obvious :-) will make the effort.

Anyway, I wasn't sure about this story, but I'm beginning to like it. It was so hilarious when he kissed the wrong twin and the whole visit to their house had me grinning. You do seem to like the theme of twins of which one is straight and the other gay, but as far as I understand, if they are identical twins, they are most likely to have the same sexuality - because it's genetic. But never mind, it's a wonderful plot device, and you certainly got a lot of fun out of it. I'll look forward to reading more next Friday.

By the way, do you prefer to have comments on the story itself, rather than here ? And if you say BOTH, I'll have to answer that I won't be able to think of so many different things to say, so it would have to be more or less the same comments. And that does not seem to be the 'done' thing. A shame really, 'cause sometimes I'd like to comment on someone else's review (mostly because I like it). Hmm I wonder if I can quote a story review here...

thanks Tim!

comments on the story, questions here.

DC, was just supposed to be a silly waste of time before nano started...oops. Luke is growing on me, i enjoy his company.

also, Erin and Jameson are twins, but they're not identical. also, sexuality is not genetically determined, otherwise we'd all be straight...

Edited by Sasha Distan

OK, my mistake, you did say in chapter 2 that they were alike but not identical twins, so even if you do call them the Parker twins and Jameson says in ch 4 that Erin is his gay twin ("when you grow up with a gay twin"), I suppose I should have been clued into the fact that they are fraternal twins, so they can have a different sexuality. 

I know there are other factors but I remember seeing this program about identical twins (British or American I can't remember), and one of the points that stuck in my mind was the part about them also being similar as to their sexuality apart from a lot of physical traits. And there was this interesting article about how women with a high fecundity were more likely to have gay sons (as well as straight ones) - and somehow this explained why the gene for homosexuality did not die out, though I fail to recall the explanation.

if you ever come across that article again, link me? sounds really interesting. 

Yeah, Erin and Jameson are twin brothers, non identical. so they look similar as you would expect brothers to do, but of course they are the same age so they look super similar. of course their sports and differing levels of excerise give them slightly different body types too.

Much recent scholarship on the biological basis of sexual orientation is focusing on epigenetics. This is the study of the function of genetic material that is not driven directly by explicitly genetic determination. While wikipedia isn't always a reliable source, this article seems to cover the bases pretty well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetic_theories_of_homosexuality

While identical twins have a much higher probability of sharing the same sexual orientation (compared to the general population and even compared to fraternal twins or non-twin siblings), it's still quite common for identical twins not to share the same sexual orientation.

The comment about fecundity probably comes from the one consistent marker that has emerged over time in studies of male homosexuality: The single greatest causal factor (in the sense that its impact is statistically demonstrable and meaningful) leading to homosexuality in men is the number of older male siblings they have from their biological mother. (It's important to acknowledge that, while this is often highlighted as the strongest predictor, it's predictive power is still pretty weak. There are plenty of men with lots of older brothers who are straight. And there are plenty of gay men with no older brothers. The biological processes that control determination of sexual orientation are incredibly complex. No single thing is going to be dispositive. There isn't a "gay gene," or even a set of "gay genes." And there is no single epigenetic explanation, either.)

• Like 2

Just finished Chapter 5. Haven't heard much from Jeremy lately. Why do I think he's not just going to fade away?

A lot of people seem to copy and paste their review comments into forum posts when they feel it sort of belongs in both.  

Personally I can see some benefit in the reverse: post in the forum, get reactions, correct misunderstandings and edit out sections that don't wear well, and then repost review-like portions to a review, which cannot be edited. -_-  The resulting redundancy is not great.  :/

I'm not too worried about Jeremy, he may be pissed off, but as long as he is still in the closet, he won't dare say or do anything. All Luke has to do is threathen to out him, if he does not behave. But I hope Erin comes out at school soon - at least he has both his brother and Luke (and several of the team) to protect him. But then I guess Sasha will have to come up with a new set of issues, so the story won't get boring.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Re ch 8: I think Luke is catching on to the fact that there is a huge difference between being in lust and being in love. And in a way that makes Jeremy's behaviour a lot more understandable. He probably knew all along that they were fuck buddies and not boyfriends. I think it was perfectly fair that he did not want to out himself for such a relationship, just because Luke wanted to have a boyfriend to show off.

Sorry, that was a bit harsh - Luke probably yearned for a real relationship and he thought he could have that with Jer and just did not really consider whether they were compatible. In a way Jer did Luke (and himself) a big favour releasing him to be with someone who also wanted a boyfriend and who was willing to come out and be a couple in public. Imagine how awful it would have been for Jer, if he came out and then Luke dumped him because he fell in love with Erin. I hope Luke realizes this at some point and actually gives Jer credit for being sensible rather than insensitive in breaking up with him.

that's an interesting perspective on the whole thing. i think the problem that Luke would forever have with Jeremy was that there was so little obvious risk to him coming out. the set of people most likely to cause an issue, are in fact, the most supportive in the school. i think in a way you are right, but i'm not going to rely on a teenagers ability to see it that way. maybe it's the sort of realisation that comes with time, like, a decade or so...

• 2 weeks later...

So any thoughts on my cute camp straight boy? Does anyone know him in real life?

In our metrosexual culture, many. The other type that i haven't seen too much used by GA authors is the feminine straight boy as separate from camp. You know those guys that are both girl-friends and boy friends to women. They like everything about women: clothes, hair ,.. and having sex with them. I also know women who love all things masculine and are totally straight. What's great is that there is often someone for us all - so go ahead and be yourself

In our metrosexual culture, many. The other type that i haven't seen too much used by GA authors is the feminine straight boy as separate from camp. You know those guys that are both girl-friends and boy friends to women. They like everything about women: clothes, hair ,.. and having sex with them. I also know women who love all things masculine and are totally straight. What's great is that there is often someone for us all - so go ahead and be yourself

i'll need to work on that...

I am sorry to announce that Direct Confusion is on Unofficial hold and there will not be a chapter this coming friday (10th jan). I am being tied up by the dogs of the Sabaakax family who are eating into my entire life. i hope to find some hours when i would have previously slept to build you a few more chapters and resume regular updates soon. project not abandoned. if i have no new chapters for you by the end of January feel free to take me out back and shoot me.

That's quite all right Sasha, I'd rather wait for a chapter that you feel good about than have a rush job. And at least we're still getting the Born Wolf chapters, so you're not leaving us completely in the pits. And maybe if there is less fun to be had on GA, I'll start working on my own stuff. (Yeah right :rolleyes: )

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

if i have no new chapters for you by the end of January feel free to take me out back and shoot me.

So...no threats of shooting, but January is over. Any updates on the calendar? It's easier to be patient when we know there's a plan!