What are Promising Authors at Gay Authors?

• Site Administrator

We have a number of author types at Gay Authors. We do this to help promote high quality writing.  A Promising Author is someone that we recognize as having higher than average quality writing.  The intention with the promotion is to give them the extra boost they need to be promoted.  We typically aim at a 6-12 month window for the promotion.

This has changed over time, but as of 2014, this is where we are going.  We are currently updating all of our groups as part of our 2014 Site Improvements.

• Love 1

You are right. Promising is a building block of sorts towards being Signature. It is a Title that basically means you are showing 'promise' that your writing quality and stories are recognized. What Myr means by changing, back in the day Promising seemed to be permanent for some. They either stopped writing or for what ever reason never was promoted there wasn't a lot of accountability. It's not going to be like that anymore. Promising Authors will be evaluated. So Promising becomes a more clear cut path where as it's purpose wasn't completely understood before.

The WST will likely define what those requirements are, I don't want to put words in their mouths though, so I'm not going to guess what exactly those are. It is likely already in the FAQs/Help. Just checked, it is, but that may be changing or edited in the coming days, so wait for an announcement or keep checking in on it.

Edited by Krista
  • Like 1

Is this going to be a pinned topic?  Are we looking for feedback on how Promising Authors are define?  I'm not sure what the purpose is here, but if it really is to answer the question "what are Promising Authors ..." I think it needs some more clarity.

BTW, are we going to get these threads for the other categories?

EDIT:  Maybe this would be a good place to put a link to that FAQ Krista mentioned?

Edited by Dark

It's funny that you should bring this up, Mann. I have come up with an idea for a challenge prompt for the Promising and Signature Authors and I have been holding off, thinking it might be a silly idea. Maybe it's not so silly. I am going to run it by Wayne and see if he is up to running it. I have the scenario already planned out. How does that sound?

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1

Mann, I say the six of us get together and try and post more in one week than all the Sig's manage. Really raise the profile of the pretty purple people.

:/ I'm so glad that I have a chapter due to arrive in the coming week or I'd be a total letdown on that count. I produce new material slooooooowly in comparison to the other purple names.

I challenge all the Prom's to do a prompt to show the Signature's we can hold our own! Who's with me!?!

Prompts really are not my thing :(

I challenge all the Prom's to do a prompt to show the Signature's we can hold our own! Who's with me!?!

I've never written a prompt, maybe I should take up on that challenge.... but like Stellar, I prefer to write longer text. 

Maybe I should find an editor so that I can start posting my new story...

Edited by FrenchCanadian

I've already written mine, you big slacker!!   :lol:

I got one in too! ya!

I've never written a prompt, maybe I should take up on that challenge.... but like Stellar, I prefer to write longer text. 

Maybe I should find an editor so that I can start posting my new story...

Yes, do that.

• 11 months later...

As a new member here at GA, I find this system great. It allows me as a reader to browse through quality writing, and I will definitely strive to reach Promising status in a few months!

Its impossible to guage how far or close you are though as there is no feedback I am aware of. I cant see it based on rep. I am inclined to say there does need to be more clarity on this, but as you said Myr, these things take time so happy to wait for that. :)

Loving that motivation though Albert :D

MJ85 wrote about author promotion here at Gay Authors and the Author Promotion Team (APT) in a blog post last year.  Link below for authors wishing to know more about the process.  Author promotion is usually done by nomination, but authors can self-nominate.  The team does look at author analytics when no nominations are waiting, but it seems like a nomination is always waiting.  Given that the team spends considerable time discussing individual authors before making a decision, it is not a fast moving process.

https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/blog/258/entry-14514-tech-blog-not-today-discover-the-apt/

• Like 3
  • 3 years later...

Hi

i have been with GA for 4 1/2 years now and a reputation of over 10,000 and with 16 stories posted so far.

will I ever be promoted ?

Regards Quokka

• Like 1
2 hours ago, quokka said:

Hi

i have been with GA for 4 1/2 years now and a reputation of over 10,000 and with 16 stories posted so far.

will I ever be promoted ?

Regards Quokka

I think that @quokka should be promoted as an author as he has 16 stories on GA now. Chris

• Like 1
  • Love 1