The Way He Looks (Hoje Eu Quero Voltar Sozinho)

Sara Alva

This movie is based on a short that I absolutely love-- sweet with a touch of angst and a happy ending. The full-length version just won an award for best feature film at a Berlin film festival. Can't wait till it makes it to the U.S.! (well, I'm really impatient, so if they release it with Spanish subtitles first I'll probably go for that :P).

“The Way He Looks” tells the story of a blind teenager searching for independence and coming to terms with his feelings for his best friend and his new neighbor. 

(turn on English subtitles if you don't speak Portuguese)

• Like 2

It does look interesting but the constant cutting to a new scene was irritating. I dislike when previews are like this, it doesn't allow me a good feel for the movie.

Apparently I feel like being their promoter (so much easier to promote someone who is not me! :P

Synopsis from their website: 

Leonardo is a blind teenager feeling overprotected by all of those around him. Struggling towards a more independent life, he has to overcome the vulnerability orbiting his condition.

At home, his mother won't let him do things by himself, or even be alone. At school, his best friend, Giovana, leaves no room for him to stand up for himself before all the bullying. Besides, he's never been kissed and is pretty confident that no one would consider dating the blind kid.

Seeing no way out, Leonardo considers going on an exchange program, hoping he could start fresh. Things take an unexpected turn when Gabriel, a new student in town, arrives at school, becoming friends with him and Giovana. Leonardo gravitates towards Gabriel, excited to be friends with someone who acts differently from everyone else.

Meanwhile, Giovana has to balance her infatuation with the new kid and the jealousy she feels for sharing her old pal. Glimpsing a possible way to independence in this unfamiliar and yet comforting new friendship, Leonardo changes the way he looks at himself and experiences the blossoming of new and intense feelings towards Gabriel.

http://www.thewayhelooks.com/#!about/c10fk

It does look interesting but the constant cutting to a new scene was irritating. I dislike when previews are like this, it doesn't allow me a good feel for the movie.

The original short is brilliant - 17 minutes of delight - so if you've not seen it why not skip the trailer and watch the short? The filmmakers have posted it on Youtube for free access in HD with excellent subtitles in most major languages. It's got a slightly different title "Eu Não Quero Voltar Sozinho". It has the same actors as the new full length movie and I can't recommend it enough. Thanks for sharing Sara :)

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 1

The original short is brilliant - 17 minutes of delight 

Agreed, it works amazingly well as a short. It will be interesting to see what they do with it as a movie.